PDA

View Full Version : An Observation About The Game Freezing From Someone On The Outside Looking In

Winterfate
10-21-2013, 07:00 PM
So, hello there guys and girls! I'm Winterfate (Wakewater on Twitch for those of you who frequent the streams), and I'd like to note a pattern I've noticed in streamed games that tends to slow/stall/freeze the game (depending on the server's mood):

It seems to me that Hex does not like it at all when two cards with identical effects trigger at the same time. It seems to be worse with some cards than others, but generally, if two identical card effects are triggering at the same time, I think the game struggles to figure out what stacks where.

Just an observation from a lowly Knight. You may now return to your regularly scheduled program. Thank you for your attention. :)

Erde
10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Someone with alpha access might want to test this theory.

UDareUTake
10-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Actually its not just identical effects on the stacks, as long as there are 2 or more cards of the stack, there will be a slight freeze and if you pass priority too quickly, almost certainly you will be getting a freeze and bugged game.

And some cards does seem to be more problematic than others,

e.g Cerebral Fulmination (almost guarantee a freeze if one pass the priority too quickly)
but if you wait for a few sec before passing priority, it will run smoothly *even at 4 cerebral Fulmination still no problem

Tinuvas
10-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Funny how when you're in the fishbowl you can't see very well. Looking back, a lot of my freezes were exactly as described, but I couldn't figure out a pattern before Winterfate pointed it out. Good catch on that.

Lochar
10-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Actually its not just identical effects on the stacks, as long as there are 2 or more cards of the stack, there will be a slight freeze and if you pass priority too quickly, almost certainly you will be getting a freeze and bugged game.

And some cards does seem to be more problematic than others,

e.g Cerebral Fulmination (almost guarantee a freeze if one pass the priority too quickly)
but if you wait for a few sec before passing priority, it will run smoothly *even at 4 cerebral Fulmination still no problem

Yeah, when I play a deck with those I have to warn my opponent that if I get more than one out to wait 3-5 seconds before hitting pass priority.

Additionally, anyone seen the issue recently when both players have something going off in the prep phase and it crashes? Like the Cerebral(theirs) and Turret Walls(yours).