PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Progression, Outside Looking In...

Otterbee
10-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I understand and appreciate this is an ALPHA. I respect your decision to not give us dates in the future of when you expect things to happen. But, as an outsider looking in...like a kid with his face pressed against the glass of the candy store waiting for the minute when they unlock the door....there really seems to be some more visibility that you could give us.

Is it possible to provide the community with a list of what Crypto feels are the gating issues preventing the next round of Alpha invites from going out?

Yes, we can all read here on the forums about problems that are occurring...but it would be nice to get some high level statistics and/or visibility as to what the critical issues are. Is it strictly based on server stability? Ability to complete matches? Is it simply some core game mechanics? (I'm not even asking you to predict when those issues are going to be fixed!) Ultimately, it gives us who are excited about the game, and willing to wait patiently something to key in on when reading the forums...and make our own assessment on "well, it looks like they're making progress here. Maybe we'll see the next round of Alpha soon".

Yes, I realize this just gives people ammunition to further bitch and complain and provide "armchair quarterbacking" as to how you *should* be doing things. But, let's face it...it's just like water off a duck's back. Or, who knows...maybe there is the odd 1 in 1000 posting that makes you go, "gee, you know, that's not a bad idea"! Ultimately, it gives us who are excited about the game, and willing to wait patiently something to key in on when reading the forums...and make our own assessment on "well, it looks like they're making progress here. Maybe we'll see the next round of Alpha soon".

I'm not asking you to predict the future...I'm asking you to give the community an idea of what issues YOU feel are gating Alpha progress during each stage.

I'm only a $20 backer...so I'm not really expecting to see my alpha invite until early next year at this point. Which is somewhat disappointing...but that's the way it goes. It's Alpha, and I think it's all going to result in a better product at the end of the day.

Cryptozoic, bless you! I give kudos to all that you are doing! Two thumbs up...keep on doing what you're doing...and all that other pep-talky stuff. :)

Otterbee

aestil
10-24-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm not sure how it is to play against other players, as I haven't done that much yet, but my last 4 games against the AI could not complete because of some sort of bug that hangs the client.

Last time I have 20 health and the AI had 1, and the AI played a card that should have been a 2/3 body + healed the AI for 3. The AI didn't get healed and the game just stopped without any further prompts.

This is pretty common. I feel like before more people get invited in they need to get the state of the game so that most games actually complete. Right now the primary bug I can file is 'game state hangs and all I can do is concede'. For there to be any practical value to adding more people to the beta the game needs to be more playable IMO.

I don't know about server stablity or load etc. And I may be wrong and maybe I'm also the exception and everyone else has games that finish all the time. But for me everytime I play just about as soon as I start having fun the game 'crashes'. [To be clear the client doesn't crash, it's just that the opponent stops doing anything and the only option is to concede.]

Rhuidan
10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I understand and appreciate this is an ALPHA. I respect your decision to not give us dates in the future of when you expect things to happen. But, as an outsider looking in...like a kid with his face pressed against the glass of the candy store waiting for the minute when they unlock the door....there really seems to be some more visibility that you could give us.

Is it possible to provide the community with a list of what Crypto feels are the gating issues preventing the next round of Alpha invites from going out?

Yes, we can all read here on the forums about problems that are occurring...but it would be nice to get some high level statistics and/or visibility as to what the critical issues are. Is it strictly based on server stability? Ability to complete matches? Is it simply some core game mechanics? (I'm not even asking you to predict when those issues are going to be fixed!) Ultimately, it gives us who are excited about the game, and willing to wait patiently something to key in on when reading the forums...and make our own assessment on "well, it looks like they're making progress here. Maybe we'll see the next round of Alpha soon".

Yes, I realize this just gives people ammunition to further bitch and complain and provide "armchair quarterbacking" as to how you *should* be doing things. But, let's face it...it's just like water off a duck's back. Or, who knows...maybe there is the odd 1 in 1000 posting that makes you go, "gee, you know, that's not a bad idea"! Ultimately, it gives us who are excited about the game, and willing to wait patiently something to key in on when reading the forums...and make our own assessment on "well, it looks like they're making progress here. Maybe we'll see the next round of Alpha soon".

I'm not asking you to predict the future...I'm asking you to give the community an idea of what issues YOU feel are gating Alpha progress during each stage.

I'm only a $20 backer...so I'm not really expecting to see my alpha invite until early next year at this point. Which is somewhat disappointing...but that's the way it goes. It's Alpha, and I think it's all going to result in a better product at the end of the day.

Cryptozoic, bless you! I give kudos to all that you are doing! Two thumbs up...keep on doing what you're doing...and all that other pep-talky stuff. :)

Otterbee

They have committed to one update a night, which is pretty damn good, in the alpha notes located in the alpha section. They post a general overview of what they are working on, I suggest keeping in touch with that. Biggest issue right now is games aren't finishing, this isn't new and is still being worked on. I didn't read your whole post but it seems this will answer your question.