PDA

View Full Version : Big News For HEX

Shaqattaq
10-24-2013, 10:48 AM
by Cory Jones

I think this is the first FULL SIZE post from me here on the HEX site, how uh… exciting! Let me start off by apologizing for the cryptic announcement last week. I didn’t mean to spawn the anxiety that seemed to follow, and hopefully I didn’t oversell the “exciting” part of this.

We have a few announcements to make and I thought it was important that I give a bit of specific explanation on each. I want to make sure its super clear what this stuff means to HEX and the HEX community.

http://hextcg.com/big-news-for-hex/

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Well, looks like the people in the Level Up! area are in good hands with the co-founder being a HEX junkie. :p With that said, I am an European, and I got a question about Gameforge. Gameforge is good at localization and they also have many payment options. However, I have concerns about their customer support. What will CRZ do if Gameforge's customer support is subpar and unhelpful? Will we just have to suck it up? Can we let CRZ look into issues if Gameforge is being lazy? What is the backup plan?

hammer
10-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Ya at $250 alpha invites but ugh at gated geographical server locations with walled economy and accounts.

Vorpal
10-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Well that went much better than expected. I was worried it was bad news that was going to take some explaining. But it's all good news!

Second wave invites going out is great, hopefully the 3rd wave can be in by another couple weeks.

Glad to hear of the world wide partnerships. Though I do have a question - is the back end stuff being contracted out to another company experienced in this area for the US 'walled garden' the way it is for Europe/China/etc?

The_Wine_Gnat
10-24-2013, 11:10 AM
Great news all around to be honest. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during their business meetings. Worldwide distribution indeed! Great job CZE.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Well, looks like the people in the Level Up! area are in good hands with the co-founder being a HEX junkie. :p With that said, I am an European, and I got a question about Gameforge. Gameforge is good at localization and they also have many payment options. However, I have concerns about their customer support. What will CRZ do if Gameforge's customer support is subpar and unhelpful? Will we just have to suck it up? Can we let CRZ look into issues if Gameforge is being lazy? What is the backup plan?

As I said... I hold the line, that goes for quality of service as much as anything else, we will do our best to deliver a AAA experience on all fronts

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Well that went much better than expected. I was worried it was bad news that was going to take some explaining. But it's all good news!

Second wave invites going out is great, hopefully the 3rd wave can be in by another couple weeks.

Glad to hear of the world wide partnerships. Though I do have a question - is the back end stuff being contracted out to another company experienced in this area for the US 'walled garden' the way it is for Europe/China/etc?

Gameforge is helping us with the US as well, it made sense to aggregate this work and team

Tinuvas
10-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Part 1 - New wave incoming.

Awesome. I logged on this morning and the only major bugs I have been dealing with are gone (seriously missing cards being the biggest), so the more the much merrier!

Part 2 - New Crew

Very cool. Nice to know the game is in good hands

Part 3 - Apprentice program

Just about made me cry. If I was only a few years younger and wanted to live in CA. If only...

Part 4 - Strategic partnerships

Like it. Don't know the partners well, but I trust Crypto's judgement ATM, so cool!

Part 5 - Worldwide server layout and conceptualization.

Way cool ideas. I was hoping to be randomly paired with worldwide folks on occasion (I love it when my brain sees my own ethnocentricity), but the logic here works.

Part 6 - Intro for Phil

Fun and interesting. WTG Phil and I hope your partnership with Crypto makes you bucket tons of $.

Icepick
10-24-2013, 11:17 AM
All super interesting news, not sure how I feel about numerous walled economies though. Definitely no global auction house for cards?

EmraldArcher
10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
So you partnered with a company in Europe that has horrendous customer satisfaction and even worse customer service and a company in Latin America that gave you ten thousand dollars.

Oh and you pretty much just killed your game before it's out of alpha by not allowing people from different parts of the world to trade with each other.

This is going to be fun to watch.

GhundiPI
10-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Great article and very exited to receive my alpha invite very soon! But one part of the article does have me a bit concerned:

Outside of these tournament servers, each walled garden will be a separate reality. They will each have their own economy, in-game items and accounts. All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers.

So if I understand this correctly, the previous plan of one big worldwide server/economy has been replaced by the 'walled garden/regional servers' setup for not only the tournament servers, but the entire game? If so, does this mean that as a player from the EU I am now unable to trade or even play (PvE for example) with people not part of my 'garden'?

Would it be possible to get a more clearer explanation on what this garden would be as a European? is that only Europe or the US/Europe part of the picture, unfortunately that is not really clear from the picture. So essentially with whom am I able to play, be in a guild, do raids, trade, etc.

Other than the above I'm very exited for the future of Hex.

Vorpal
10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Individual walled economies are superior to a single global one, IMO.

Far less vulnerable to hacks/exploits, at least.

The big thing will be is if each walled garden is large enough to create a properly sized economy.

Now, one question is, will people in a Euro/NA guild be able to play together?

That is..could an NA account and a Euro account play together even if they couldn't see the same auction house/trade together?

There are a looooot of guilds that span both NA and Europe.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:24 AM
So you partnered with a company in Europe that has horrendous customer satisfaction and even worse customer service and a company in Latin America that gave you ten thousand dollars.

Oh and you pretty much just killed your game before it's out of alpha by not allowing people from different parts of the world to trade with each other.

This is going to be fun to watch.

I'm done with you

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Great article and very exited to receive my alpha invite very soon! But one part of the article does have me a bit concerned:

So if I understand this correctly, the previous plan of one big worldwide server/economy has been replaced by the 'walled garden/regional servers' setup for not only the tournament servers, but the entire game? If so, does this mean that as a player from the EU I am now unable to trade or even play (PvE for example) with people not part of my 'garden'?

Would it be possible to get a more clearer explanation on what this garden would be as a European? is that only Europe or the US/Europe part of the picture, unfortunately that is not really clear from the picture. So essentially with whom am I able to play, be in a guild, do raids, trade, etc.

Other than the above I'm very exited for the future of Hex.
From what I understood US and EU people will be able to play with each other but they each have a local tournament server for themselves to handle timezones better. They also have the main tournament server ofcourse to play with all the other gardens.

Tamba
10-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Some markets will have different pricing and offer some region specific PVE content to appeal to local tastes or adhere to local standards.

Get ready for another round of 1$ = 1€ pricing...

Vorsa
10-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Yay! Time to start refreshing my inbox...

I don't know anything about Gameforge beyond what wikipedia tells me, but delighted to hear there'll be servers based in Europe (unless I'm jumping to conclusions with that) - certainly played my share of games that run sluggish here on account of US-only servers, even when they wouldn't seem to be demanding genres (like card games).

Very nice news. :cool:

^ Ooh; hadn't thought of the guild question posed above? US + EU?

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
From what I understood US and EU people will be able to play with each other but they each have a local tournament server for themselves to handle timezones better. They also have the main tournament server ofcourse to play with all the other gardens.

this is correct

Threading the needle of what I want this game to be in terms of eSports and everything else we talked about and still conform to ALL local governance issues around the world is almost impossible, when you see some of this stuff keep in mind what I am trying to accomplish

Lawlschool
10-24-2013, 11:29 AM
All super interesting news, not sure how I feel about numerous walled economies though. Definitely no global auction house for cards?

Yeah I'm curious as to how this works too. Some clarification would be awesome. I can see how regional economies would be useful to combat market manipulation / arbitrage. and they might need to price boosters etc differently to account for the different values of regional currency, but it does seem to be a bit restrictive if they're going for the whole global community thing.

Arkaon
10-24-2013, 11:31 AM
I have a couple of questions that hopefully you have time for Corey.

First, I am very excited for your announcement. I played Ragnarok online while I was deployed (when I could) and loved it. So, I am excited to have these partnerships.

I am a little saddened by the choice to have walled systems throughout the world. I understand how this helps create stability within the system, but I have a few concerns for "Communities".

1a) Clan BlackBlade has been, and will be, a multinational guild. However, creating walled gateways, also puts a wall in our community, even if it's not intended. Without being able to play/compete with friends, it is a little saddening. Are you sure walled communities is the way to go? I am really not looking forward to having my clan break into regional cliques.

1b) As someone who has friends and employee's in the Philippines, it is sad to know that I wont be able to compete/trade with them. Is there going to be a workaround for this other than creating an account in that region as well?

2) How are you going to handle people who want to create accounts on different markets, just to take advantage of the cost differences? Will there be any handling of this? I am really not looking forward to having to make multiple accounts, just to maximize my output, and was kind of excited to be able to have a centralized system for this.

I do however want to say that I think the partnerships are good moves, and I am excited to continue with the community.

Thanks,

SaberVulcan
10-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Huge update, and all great news, but this worried me...

LoL pioneered MOBAs

How are we to expect someone who forgot about the nearly 6 years of competitive DotA, which popularized the entire genre, to spearhead an esports movement!? Tsk tsk.

hammer
10-24-2013, 11:36 AM
If I understand correctly I wont be able to trade cards as a European with friends, dealers, auction house, and guild members in say the USA. What happened to the notion of cards with double backs meaning you can track down specific cards which won specific events etc. I guess there is no chance for these to be available. I love the update just a little concerned about the implications of the walled economies.

Vorpal
10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
this is correct

Threading the needle of what I want this game to be in terms of eSports and everything else we talked about and still conform to ALL local governance issues around the world is almost impossible, when you see some of this stuff keep in mind what I am trying to accomplish

Well as long as EU/NA people can play / raid together, that's good. Lots of multi national guilds out there.

I don't feel the need necessarily to be able to trade with guild mates in other countries - money is fungible, after all. I can trade for a chase rare from anyone - but I want to be able to to raids and play matches and stuff with friends and guildmates even if they are in different areas of the world. It's not a big deal if I can't shower him with in game currency.

Vengus
this is correct

I would be surprised if you managed to bring China onto the main tournament server. Their goverment doesn't really like the idea of their population interacting with people outside of China. I wouldn't blame you if it were impossible. :p

Lafoote
Seems like all good news, or at least good with a bit of neutral. Far better than some of the things I had envisioned. I'm curious how the segmented worlds will operate. WoW had Asian servers, but that did nothing to prevent waves of gold spammers from invading US ones. Will Hex somehow ensure players are funneled to their correct geographical servers, or is that a pipe dream?

GhundiPI
this is correct

Although I have no professional experience with it, I can appreciate the complications from what I have noticed with other games. So if I understand correctly Europe and the US is one garden, that would be great as I'm then able to play and trade with my friends from the US, thanks.

Cory_Jones

First, I am very excited for your announcement. I played Ragnarok online while I was deployed (when I could) and loved it. So, I am excited to have these partnerships.

I am a little saddened by the choice to have walled systems throughout the world. I understand how this helps create stability within the system, but I have a few concerns for "Communities".

1a) Clan BlackBlade has been, and will be, a multinational guild. However, creating walled gateways, also puts a wall in our community, even if it's not intended. Without being able to play/compete with friends, it is a little saddening. Are you sure walled communities is the way to go? I am really not looking forward to having my clan break into regional cliques.

Sadly it was necessary if we want to serve some of our larger eSports goals

1b) As someone who has friends and employee's in the Philippines, it is sad to know that I wont be able to compete/trade with them. Is there going to be a workaround for this other than creating an account in that region as well?

You will be able to play with them on the Global Tournament Server, but no you will not be able to trade that is limited to the region

2) How are you going to handle people who want to create accounts on different markets, just to take advantage of the cost differences? Will there be any handling of this? I am really not looking forward to having to make multiple accounts, just to maximize my output, and was kind of excited to be able to have a centralized system for this.

Not sure what the advantage would be to multiple accounts, I don’t expect the a price differential in easily accessible markets

I do however want to say that I think the partnerships are good moves, and I am excited to continue with the community.

Thanks,

notes in the body bold

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:38 AM
If I understand correctly I wont be able to trade cards as a European with friends, dealers, auction house, and guild members in say the USA. What happened to the notion of cards with double backs meaning you can track down specific cards which won specific events etc. I guess there is no chance for these to be available. I love the update just a little concerned about the implications of the walled economies.
EU and NA are part of the same garden, they can interact and trade with each other.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:40 AM
Huge update, and all great news, but this worried me...

How are we to expect someone who forgot about the nearly 6 years of competitive DotA, which popularized the entire genre, to spearhead an esports movement!? Tsk tsk.

I think it’s VERY fair to say LOL pioneered the mainstreaming of MOBAs :)

hammer
10-24-2013, 11:41 AM
EU and NA are part of the same garden, they can interact and trade with each other.

Phew - Well I am much happier if I can play and trade with North American friends :D

ovlovian
10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Cory receives tons of love already, but here's some more. I still marvel at the Management skills and Employee/Customer centrism that Cryptozoic exemplifies. I imagine your offices look like a D&D Zappos. I want in.

mudkip
10-24-2013, 11:49 AM
this is correct

Walled communities is a bit of a shame, but if that was an impossible dream to begin with, then I guess nothing is lost.

My only hope is that costs are universal. It would upset me if the Asia server starts selling cheaper boosters/draft entry.

locust
10-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Lovely news.

I am SO HAPPY that Cory is focusing so much on e-sports. That is one of the main reason's im so into Hex, to me it seems like it will topple MTG as a "sport". Also, Hopping for way better prize pools than in magic.

Looking forward to compete in world wide events in the global server.

Partnership's for local servers was a good move.
Im hyped, keep up the good work.

locust
10-24-2013, 11:52 AM
Also, with the walled community's, if it is possible to trade europe with china, does my card come in chinese?
Collectors would enjoy some russian cards or chinese ones, i know i would.

It would be awesome to have that sort of thing, like a real life tcg

Littlejon24
10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
i wouldn't mind getting a chance to meet Phil on the Alpha servers. maybe pick his brain while enjoying a game.

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Walled communities is a bit of a shame, but if that was an impossible dream to begin with, then I guess nothing is lost.

My only hope is that costs are universal. It would upset me if the Asia server starts selling cheaper boosters/draft entry.
For added realism the Asian servers should sell fake cards. :p

knightofeffect
10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Fun speculation gives way to a solid update. Good to hear Crypto is being proactive about the localization and backend support they need. Also really glad USA/EU are in the same trading garden.

A smashing success of an update, I'd say =).

Badger
10-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Congrats Cory and your team on these latest developments.

Gregzilla
10-24-2013, 12:04 PM
How long will the Apprenticeship program be going on for? Could I, for example, apply for it in a few years time?

DrakarT
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM

I also played Ragnarok even started on beta and it took like 3 years of my life O.o!
And was pretty fun to meet people there and know a little more of their culture
and well sinceraly... it makes me a little sad knowing that I wont meet people from other countries as in Ragnarok nor join to the Angry Joe's Army Guild >.<

But this kind of garden system was implemented on LoL and they are doing fine
Lets hope for the best!
it will be very interesting seeing those cards with codes to get some boosters on a 7eleven haha!
that will be even more dangerous for my wallet... >.<

mudkip
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
For added realism the Asian servers should sell fake cards. :p

As long as they're branded with Rolex logos.

majin
10-24-2013, 12:07 PM
@cory: hope you can read this and I hope you will reconsider. I do like having our own Philippines Garden (makes our lotus more valuable) but at the same time, I am afraid that there will be limited players to interact / trade with. Isn't it more sensible to make a south east asia garden instead of just a Philippines garden?

ovlovian
10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
@cory: hope you can read this and I hope you will reconsider. I do like having our own Philippines Garden (makes our lotus more valuable) but at the same time, I am afraid that there will be limited players to interact / trade with. Isn't it more sensible to make a south east asia garden instead of just a Philippines garden?

Could be differing national laws and compliance issues crop-up when you get into that?

Arkaon
10-24-2013, 12:11 PM
notes in the body bold

Corey,

It is really sad to hear this particular part of the news. Our clan was gearing up for quite a few "Clan Wide" events, where we would be hosting our own tournaments and such. However, this really won't be possible unless our international guild all decides on a specific region to all create accounts in, which seems rather superfluous.

Will there be possible workarounds for Guilds? I know in the past you talked about having specific entities being able to "host" their own trade stores, so as not to single out local retailers. Perhaps this kind of thing can be extended to Guilds?

I would be interested in speaking to you about creating guild communities, or some possible "global" tournaments / play periods.

Thank You,

Vengus
10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Hmm I got a few more questions. Cory, if you're still here, could you please tell us what this all means in regards to alpha accounts, naming etc? Could someone on for example the Asian garden pick the same name as someone on the US/EU garden? Also, currently everyone plays on the same alpha test server, but what will happen when everyone gets moved to their own gardens?

majin
10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Could be differing national laws and compliance issues crop-up when you get into that?

probably but there are a lot of MMOs that caters for SEA players. even Blizz has a SEA + oceanic server for gamers who reside in these countries.

i am not really complaining as it will be a win-win for me either way and i can still participate on global tourneys, but more players to trade with = more fun for me

benczi
10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Hello Cory,

This is amazing news! :D

What really caught my eye is the Apprentice Program.
And I have a few questions:

who is it really for? (Is it mostly for people who are just starting their careers or not necessarily?
What do you mean by designers and developers? MTG has two teams named design and development, but they work only with the creation of new cards, and not with the program or the art in the cards.
To expand further on the previous question I'm a software engineer, with a few years of experience, but I have never worked with games, is this program for me?
I have a friend who is an artist, if she would like to try with this apprentice program, could she do her work online (from home)? or at least until you make a decision? (edit: a bit of clarification, we live in Europe, so moving would be quite a challenge.)

Vorpal
10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Corey,

It is really sad to hear this particular part of the news. Our clan was gearing up for quite a few "Clan Wide" events, where we would be hosting our own tournaments and such. However, this really won't be possible unless our international guild all decides on a specific region to all create accounts in, which seems rather superfluous.

Will there be possible workarounds for Guilds? I know in the past you talked about having specific entities being able to "host" their own trade stores, so as not to single out local retailers. Perhaps this kind of thing can be extended to Guilds?

I would be interested in speaking to you about creating guild communities, or some possible "global" tournaments / play periods.

Thank You,

Won't guilds have guild banks? I'm wondering how guild banks will work if people can be in different walled gardens yet in the same guild.

juzamjedi
10-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Corey,

Thank You,

This. We are also a global guild and we were planning to have some guild-wide tournaments for fun prizes. For example 5 people from my guild went to Gencon to get some extra Gencon promos. When the time comes to hand those out can we get codes that are worldwide redeemable that we can hand out for those special promo's? We wanted to give sleeves, Portensio etc. as prizes for guild tournaments.

Alternatively would people in different regions be allowed to join the US/EU garden (assuming they can accept the lag)? It would be a shame if some of our guild members felt marginalized for being in a different region.

Cory if it is possible to have a discussion with you about possible solutions for worldwide guilds to have activities together that would be great. If this is something we could do as a live chat on Skype my username there is the same as this forum.

Gimick
10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Wow! I think this is excellent news on all fronts. Great great job CZE. Good luck with the new partnerships and I look forward to playing against some of the new 3k members to alpha! Exciting times!

Glognar
10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
Won't guilds have guild banks? I'm wondering how guild banks will work if people can be in different walled gardens yet in the same guild.

By the sounds of things they won't be the same guild, they may have the same name but if they are on different "gardens" they will be different guilds with their own guild banks.

Arkaon
10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
This. We are also a global guild and we were planning to have some guild-wide tournaments for fun prizes. For example 5 people from my guild went to Gencon to get some extra Gencon promos. When the time comes to hand those out can we get codes that are worldwide redeemable that we can hand out for those special promo's? We wanted to give sleeves, Portensio etc. as prizes for guild tournaments.

Alternatively would people in different regions be allowed to join the US/EU garden (assuming they can accept the lag)? It would be a shame if some of our guild members felt marginalized for being in a different region.

Cory if it is possible to have a discussion with you about possible solutions for worldwide guilds to have activities together that would be great. If this is something we could do as a live chat on Skype my username there is the same as this forum.

Corey,

I would like to echo exactly this. When we met at GenCon, members of Clan BlackBlade spent HOURS earning rewards, so we could give them away to the other members of the guild. I have friends in Germany, China, and the Philippines, and I am a little worried about them not wanting to play on a server with me because of LAG, or a lack of resources.

I would definitely be interested in having a conversation via Skype. Let me know if this would be possible.

Thank You,

Arkaon
10-24-2013, 01:00 PM
You guys are seriously delusional if you think Cory is going to Skype with you over this. The decision has been made, Deal with it.

I think you have no idea who you are talking about.

He gave out a phone number for people to call him directly during Kickstarter, and even answered it.

When I met Corey at GenCon, I said approximately two sentences. "Hey Corey, I'm Steve." "Just wanted to let you know that I was one of your Kickstarter Backers.". He then proceeded to say hello back, and the wrap me in a massive bear hug while thanking me. It was as awkward as that sounds, and I loved it. (Photo's available upon request)

He then spent quite a few hours talking with fans in a circle over in the TCG hall.

He has done countless interviews, and responds to emails. He even gets on his own forums and replies directly to people after posting a news update.

One of the biggest reasons I intend to invest my own time and money into making Hex the best community possible, is because I know the Corey is behind the wheels. Also the biggest reason why I am attempting to reach out and do, what I believe to be, my best to voice my concerns, and attempt to make things better.

You are correct however, the decision has been made. I'm glad we live in a world where decisions can be changed, or exemptions created.

I would entertain the notion Mr. Username1 that if you hoped and worked for a better outlook on life, you might understand the power that you hold as a consumer. Instead of just blind cynicism online.

Idus
10-24-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm still confused. So do we get to choose which region we make our account it, or is it locked to our physical location?

If it's locked, This is a sad day for me. I've spent the last 4 months forming a tight bond with the other guild members of The Unnamed Council. We currently have well over 100 members from all points of the globe and are a PvE focussed guild.

Not being able to trade with each other must also mean we can't play PvE with each other, doesn't it? Otherwise how could you be playing side by side with someone, but have a trade with that same person blocked? Or do you just jump out of the global raid instance into a local trade instance? What about chat, guild areas, keeps? Are these all local too?

The focus is on tournaments and E-Sport, but for PvE, these things are irrelevant mostly. So are global PvE guilds practical anymore, or do I have to leave my new friends and go find someone in an Aussie guild to play with? I assume Australia we will be lumped in with the Asian communites, which became a bit of an issue in Guildwars 2, as half the time we couldn't even communicate with our Korean guild allies in server battles, as they were using a Korean character set while we were using English.

So, I'd appreciate a bit more clarification on regional restrictions so I know whether I need to start my time in Hex elsewhere?

Werlix
10-24-2013, 01:20 PM
And how many time has he Skyped with people after he got their money?

I'm fully aware of the power I have as a consumer and it all sits in my wallet which is why I'm not consuming this hot mess. Have fun in your little walled garden.

EmraldArcher back so soon?

Anyway... thanks Corey for this update, exciting times :) Just had a question as I live in New Zealand, will I be part of the Phillipines "garden" or will we be put into the US? I can understand there may be complications here with tradeoffs between locality, language and latency... cheers.

Leingod
10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Very sad to see walled gardens even if I understand why it had to be done. Probably won't affect me much as an NA player since I expect NA/EU to be the largest playerbase, but still.

Also sad to see Gameforge pick up yet another game to bury in Europe. After their work on Aion EU I'm surprised they get any business. I suppose that there may not be many people to partner with in Europe instead of running it all yourselves though.

Other than that, great news. Grats to all the people about to hit the alpha servers. May your games not freeze and your bug findings quickly fixed lol.

Lolicon
10-24-2013, 01:36 PM
Gameforge kinda ruined a game I used to love - "AirRivals".
Learning that they will pick up Hex shocked me, hopefully this time the game won't go down the gutter.

Vorpal
10-24-2013, 02:01 PM
As long as Gameforge isn't calling any development shots, but only providing the architecture/back end support for Hex, I don't think you'd need to be too worried.

Shustro
10-24-2013, 02:03 PM
i cant trade from russia with people in Europe in US?? WHATA HELL YOU DOING CORRY???? WHY YOU KILLING THE GAME??? its so [removed] stupid. its TRADING card game. WTF....

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Ultimately this is about stewardship, and that where I come in, Gameforge hired a TEAM to make sure this is done properly, I am impressed with everyone on the project so far and will insure that ALL partners that help us make HEX a reality do the best job possible.

Arkaon, send me a private email and we will set up a time to chat, sadly I am stuck with an untenable situation, and in some cases I literally have NO choice.

Shustro
10-24-2013, 02:05 PM
and BTW - Gameforge are SUXX. Its a totally CRAP company. With ZERO customer satisfatction and support.... its a WORST day in my HEX life ever...

Shustro
10-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Corry, pls answer my question - why you killing you game??? Why we cant trade wшер player all round the world? And why Russia in RESERVATION? its a JAIL....

Shustro
10-24-2013, 02:07 PM
and more question - what about the guilds? we now have one mighty multi-national guild. And what now? You just KILL US all....

Jbizzi
10-24-2013, 02:09 PM
and BTW - Gameforge are SUXX. Its a totally CRAP company. With ZERO customer satisfatction and support.... its a WORST day in my HEX life ever...

Whew, good thing you specifically said "HEX Life" because I would imagine that the other life that rhymes with the afore mentioned has seen some pretty dark days too. Let's be fair!

Skullgrin
10-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Cory, would something stop Shustro from creating an account in lets say US/EU if he's from Russia?
I don't believe this has been clarified.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Cory, would something stop Shustro from creating an account in lets say US/EU if he's from Russia?

nope

Icepick
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
nope

That's good news. So people will be able to pick which region they want to join, essentially, regardless of physical location?

heavyhitter86
10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
You know what Cory, Kudos to you sir.

I left a game over a dictatorial leader who would lash out and couldn't defend his decisions or actions but you at least listen to your community and rationally and calmly answer. I do not necessarily love everything that i read today but I respect that you have a vision and a plan and I am excited to see how it turns out.

Jbizzi
10-24-2013, 02:22 PM
That's good news. So people will be able to pick which region they want to join, essentially, regardless of physical location?

Yeah, I don't really see why segregating each region is bad in the first place. It makes sense culturally and if you really want to join a guild, do so in their region. Latency will not be an issue in this game like it is others... unless... CZE makes a FPS mini game where you get to chuck cards at your opponent!

write that one down.

Shinjica
10-24-2013, 02:26 PM
I can understand make different region for tournament but why that for card buy and sell?

TheBokononist
10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Guess all that caring about players was blowing smoke. Game forge is terrible. Here is a post I made to showcase how terrible they are: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=28457&p=304932#post304932

I now know what it feels like to trust someone enough to give them $500, then watch them burn it to the ground with suicidal glee.

schild
10-24-2013, 02:31 PM
The walled economies is... not necessarily the best idea I've ever seen.

I don't mind the walled local tournament scene, but economies? Yea, let's pretend this is something that will be changed very shortly. :|

Edit: Along with the username thing.

Jbizzi
10-24-2013, 02:38 PM
I dunno, I am kind of a fan of the walled economies. I think I would be more upset if I played in the smaller regions.

Shustro
10-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Corry, why? Why you doing this? We all backers TRUST you and you ruined ALL in one moment. Walled eco in TRADING card game? WTF? Dont know about level up but Gameforge is WORST MMO publisher in Europe. I will have tired to name the FAILS in all ther games. Aion was KILLED by Gameforge. TERA and Tera community was RUINED by Gameforge. They wil KILL HEX too....

I have strong feelings that you was made BAD desisons to trust this Gameforge scumms and make our wounderfull world-wide HEX looks like walled swamp...

I (and i am sure ALL players and backers) want to play and TRADE with ALL the players all over the world. Why you killing this dream?

p.s. I apologize for perhaps some not quite polite words, and my bad english, but i am really, REALLY upset with todays big news. HEX was a dream, a miracle for me, i everyday reading forums, fan-sites, building decks... And now i am feeling cheated... lools like my dream is stolen and sold for pennies to greedy huckster...

Maphalux
10-24-2013, 03:00 PM

nope

Thanks for answering this. This was my one and only concern.

Aradon
10-24-2013, 03:05 PM
How does that stack up with regional issues like Chinese-supported content for Chinese release? Surely China won't be okay with their citizens creating an account on the NA server, unless all content were approved for Chinese content.

BigDog
10-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm done with you
In addition to the points in the article, thank you for this. I continue to remain cautiously optimistic that real change is coming about in this online community for a focus on positive feedback and assistance in finding answers as opposed to flaming and poor debate tactics. I've always held that "you can't change the Internet" but just maybe we can make this small corner a brighter place

LNQ
10-24-2013, 03:42 PM
Just one question I find really important to me:

Will US/EU be able to trade cards with each other or not? As in, is the card trading restricted to regional tournament server or the US/Europe garden.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Will US/EU be able to trade cards with each other or not? As in, is the card trading restricted to regional tournament server or the US/Europe garden.

yes

b1uepenguin
10-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Any idea if the regions are based off geography? It sounded like we can choose our region... are there plans to allow us to switch later?

I ask only because I spend my time in the parts of the US nearest the Philippines (guam, sapian, hawaii) and wonder if jumping on the Philippines server makes more sense because of the time of day I would be playing would match up with the rest of the S.E. Asia base? Is that the server the Aussies and Kiwis would likely be on?

I guess I am only concerned because I have friends back on the mainland (US48) and don't want to lose the ability to PVE with them or switch servers if I get relocated/redeployed at some point.

Argh sorry for such a lame first post... this just caught me off guard. Being in a liminal part of the US can be confusing sometimes and a real drag trying to play online games with a player base that is in bed by the time I am off work.

b1uepenguin
10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Sorry by based off Geography I meant based off our actual physical location, or whether because parts of Oceania are US territories we will be considered part of the US player base by default.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Any idea if the regions are based off geography? It sounded like we can choose our region... are there plans to allow us to switch later?

I ask only because I spend my time in the parts of the US nearest the Philippines (guam, sapian, hawaii) and wonder if jumping on the Philippines server makes more sense because of the time of day I would be playing would match up with the rest of the S.E. Asia base? Is that the server the Aussies and Kiwis would likely be on?

I guess I am only concerned because I have friends back on the mainland (US48) and don't want to lose the ability to PVE with them or switch servers if I get relocated/redeployed at some point.

Argh sorry for such a lame first post... this just caught me off guard. Being in a liminal part of the US can be confusing sometimes and a real drag trying to play online games with a player base that is in bed by the time I am off work.

you will not be able to transfer between these walled gardens, but I wouldnt be concerned about finding someone to play with, that’s one of the benefits of the global tournament servers

Wodahs
10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
I'll have to wait and see how this walled structure works out, but still excited about Hex.

Two questions. Pricing : will the 2$ booster 1$ draft fee remain unchanged for the NA/EU garden?

And to be absolutely sure : Everyone can choose which garden to create its account on, no matter his actual physical location?

As long as garden choice is completely free ( not linked with IP, credit card, physical location, etc.), that's good for me.

joseph5185
10-24-2013, 04:02 PM
I definitely wanted to chime in on this one..

Cory - ... AMAZING job!

Despite some of the...well rather colorful posts, this is very good news indeed.
The talent that you have added alone is priceless and, from the sounds of it, unmatched.

I stand behind you a 1000%+ and I know you will deliver an incredible game!

THANK YOU for everything so far and I can't wait to discover/hear more in the future..

--- GK ---

Yoss
10-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Corey,

Thank You,

If the markets are segregated, they cannot allow cross-market trading through Guilds or any other means. Otherwise, they'd no longer be segregated.

I think you're going to need all your guildies to join the same (probably NA/EU) server together.

Shadowelf
10-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Let's hope that Cory or William list all those answers and clarifications (servers, economies, interactions) in tomorrow's KS update. I would love to have all the answers in one place, if it's not so much trouble.

-how many regions there will be
-region's interaction (trade, matches, chat? )
-multi-server tournaments
-multi-server accounts

Idus
10-24-2013, 04:31 PM
you will not be able to transfer between these walled gardens, but I wouldnt be concerned about finding someone to play with, that’s one of the benefits of the global tournament servers

My early concerns have been mostly allayed with the comment we can choose which region to join, so we all just need to choose from guilds in the region we play on. Not 100% sure on long term if we can't transfer. Once again saying we can find people on the global server is OK fo PvP players, but is PvE on the global servers as well? Australia and New Zealand being a rather unique timezone means it can take a few tries before you find enough people playing at the same time as you.

Kami
10-24-2013, 04:33 PM
I'll admit this news is both exciting and worrisome simultaneously to me.

What excites me:

We have started a program to recruit and train our future star designers; we give each apprentice a three month paid position here in Lake Forest, CA and spend that time teaching them our tools and methodology. At the end of the three months we either offer the apprentice an associate game designer role or thank them for their hard work and hope sincerely that the program helped them toward finding their place in the game industry.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the skill or means to apply but I wish. :)

Foreign markets. Both Gameforge and Level Up! are based outside the US and they are undisputed leaders in their regions. The localization and support available for these global players will be amazing and years ahead of what we could have provided on our own. My goal was always to create a global community around HEX, making it a worldwide phenomenon. This is big step forward to that goal.

Going international is fantastic! I can understand why this was done from a competitive perspective.

What worries me:

Platform services. We should not be in the business of trying to run the back end of an MMO. It’s super expensive and super complex. When it comes to servers, billing, and customer service, the experience and infrastructure of a large publisher will allow us to offer the type of triple-A service you expect. We would have had to spend a significant amount of development time and money building this all from the ground up. Instead, we can invest those resources into giving you an incredible gaming experience.

Who will we end up dealing with, the publishers or with CZE, when it comes to support issues?

Outside of these tournament servers, each walled garden will be a separate reality. They will each have their own economy, in-game items and accounts. All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers.

How will this affect balance with the various backers and rewards? Each region will have a skewed number of backers and some economies will end up being more robust than others. In global tournaments, will that not affect the equality between players?

LNQ
10-24-2013, 05:00 PM

yes

Thank you for the quick reply! You are doing a fantastic work answering questions. Unparalleled. <3

Oroniss
10-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Just a quick question, and apologies if this has already been answered, I couldn't see it anywhere.

Where does Australian / New Zealand fit in? Are we going to default to the NA/EU region or to the Philippines region?

Also, are we going to have our own regional pricing?

Malfegore
10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
This announcement got me excited with playing HEX. Hopefully, I get to access the alpha build by November. :D

I'm happy with the partnership with Level Up!. I'm from the Philippines, and I'm glad that local support will be available to me and my people (that sounds a bit weird XD). Whether the partnership will bear good or bad fruit, I'll have to wait and see for myself. :)

d00dz
10-24-2013, 06:49 PM
This announcement got me excited with playing HEX. Hopefully, I get to access the alpha build by November. :D

I'm happy with the partnership with Level Up!. I'm from the Philippines, and I'm glad that local support will be available to me and my people (that sounds a bit weird XD). Whether the partnership will bear good or bad fruit, I'll have to wait and see for myself. :)

I have a mixed reaction. While I am also from the Philippines, I am not certain if Level Up was the best partner for this. I have played Ragnarok Online (since its inception) and RF Online (also since inception) and have watched them slowly degrade into unplayable messes of bots and trolls. While I am pleased to be able to play matches in my own time zone, I would rather have a less stressful experience.

Also, it worries me a lot because there was a huge snafu many years back with Level Up when some of its GMs were found to be conspiring with guilds and providing uber items. This has a huge effect on competitive play and the economy so I hope CZE will impose checks and balances on the creation of virtual assets.

dodecapod
10-24-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm having mix feelings regarding this separate closed gardens. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I'm afraid that some gardens will end up wilting away. One recent example of this is Blizzard attempt at applying Regional Servers in starcraft 2. The southeast asian server is pretty much a ghost town that sees more people leaving for other servers than entering. I feel that this will be the same for the Philippine region. Because of the nature of the game, I feel there will not be enough traffic and momentum to encourage growth and create a thriving economy. Choosing which garden to play will be a huge gamble because:

you will not be able to transfer between these walled gardens, but I wouldn't be concerned about finding someone to play with, that’s one of the benefits of the global tournament servers

I'm from the Philippines, and ideally I should play in the Philippine server. But at the moment I want to be in a region with a huge population and I have doubts that the Philippine server will satisfy this desire. I maybe a bit short-sighted, but knowing that the Philippines is a 3rd world country, of which a significant portion lives in poverty, there is no way the population will be anywhere near US server.

I may be over-thinking. I do hope that Philippine server will prove me wrong. And I do hope Level Up games does a great job in encouraging players to play and stay competitive.

djlowballer
10-24-2013, 07:39 PM
The announcement is a bit of a blow to me. MTGO plays globally so why can't Hex. I live in Singapore and I am forced to play in a walled Garden already for League of Legends. Certain features available in regions officially run by Riot are delayed or outright omitted from the Garena SEA servers.

Is the PH truly expected to cover all of SEA? Or will you form partnerships for each country? I am more comfortable with making a US account rather than risk getting stuck in a small walled garden.

DreamPuppet
10-24-2013, 07:58 PM

nope

So basically everyone no matter their location just has to pick US/EU as their preferred shard when they create an account and leave all the other ones (PH, Russia, Latin America & China) empty, everyone gets to play, guild & trade together. That works for me. I feel bad for the people who won't have ever read this thread and actually picked the dead zones though.

BlacKatFever
10-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Just curious, but what are your plans for regions not outlined in your post, specifically Japan.

Will those territories falling outside of the NA, GF, and LU coverage be grouped with the North American server for PvE, Auction House, regional tournament content?

Thank you and congratulations on your new partners, as well as your release of the Wave 2 invites. (Still waiting for King invites!)

CaptainPuppy
10-24-2013, 08:35 PM
The announcement is a bit of a blow to me. MTGO plays globally so why can't Hex. I live in Singapore and I am forced to play in a walled Garden already for League of Legends.

What? How are you forced? I'm also in SEAsia but I play on the European server for LoL.

maximox
10-24-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm from Argentina and a Slacker Backer and im a little bit sad to hear about the walled gardens. While i can understand the need to have a partner to manage the back-end of the game, i feel that you are losing one of the big advantages of having an online TCG and thats the posibillty of creating a worldwide community.

For the latin american customer the only reason we want a dedicated region server in other games is because the ping we have while communicating with a NA server usually destroys our ability to play in a competitive enviorment and thats something we dont really need in this game, because the need for better ping is abscent.

Also a lot of Latin american gamers are used to playing in US servers and because of that we have a lot of friends from those regions, creating a walled garden will only help to segregate comunities that have formed over the years, and even if we can make accounts in any region the problem just get worse because you will have part of the latin american comunity playing in the US and another part in the LA server which not only segregates more the community but also hurts the LA server by cutting down the users it will have.

Having said that i understand the benefits this bring for the customer (apart from the benefits to the publisher), we will get localization, access to paying methods used in the region, and customer service in our language (not necesarily better if we consider that the CS will be managed by Level Up, but still, its in our language).

I would like you to reconsider your decision but if thats not possible the only thing i can ask you is to be really strict with the level of Quality of customer service you will ask Level Up and Gameforge to handle, because this can really hurt your game.

P.D.: Think about implementing a region transfer option (paid if necesarry) like Blizzard and Riot have made with our Region)

szimek
10-24-2013, 09:27 PM
awesome update and big thanks for the good job you are doing guys. new wave of invites: huray ! i'm only slackerbacker so it will be some time till i'll get one too, but i don't mind it, and fully understand why it has to be that way. so no complains from me, well... except maybe one little thingy :] and it's about "All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers". it would be awesome to be able to trade stuff between regions and i know that it's propably not easy to implement (different rates alone can be pain in the a**), but trading is big part of TCG, and the more the merrier, right? :) so: thank you guys once more and i'm waitng for more awesome news. Cheers.

dredcrow
10-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Just wanted to say congratulations to the new team members. Two great hires, Alan is a perfect fit and I was very impressed by Tyler's concept art.

Badger
10-24-2013, 09:49 PM
With the packs being so cheap I don't think that we will lose too much by only being able to trade with our own region. 1000 local players is more than enough to make sure that there are always enough cards up for grabs.

djlowballer
10-24-2013, 10:11 PM
You are forced to play on Garena if you want reasonable latency. Ofc you can have US and EU accounts but its frustrating to have the local market outsourced.

bootlace
10-24-2013, 10:32 PM
There is absolutely no reason to panic over these walled-gardens. Here's what you do:

-Create your main account in the EU/NA servers and obviously all guilds will be based here too.
-Create a separate local account if you're interested in meeting local people or the playing times due to time difference (although I imagine NA/EU servers will be so populated that you can find people to play with anytime).

Cory has plans to bring real money elements (tournaments winnings and cash prizes etc) into the game at which point complying to local regulations is a must (MTGO gets around this by using 'tickets' as their currency).

He's not blatantly stating WHY he has to do it, but read between the lines and you can see this is not a fundamental shift in the direction of the game but instead simply something they have to do to comply to regulations.

I do think though Cory should make it clear whether tournaments will have some fine print such as "only residents of this region are eligible to win cash prizes" or something of that nature which you commonly see - or else it could result in quite the outrage if announced post launch.

dodecapod
10-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Making separate accounts in NA/US and other gardens isn't as easy as you make it to be. You are discounting the pledge rewards we backers have. We have to carefully choose a garden that has longevity and a thriving economy.

bootlace
10-24-2013, 11:20 PM
Cmon making separate accounts isn't the hardest thing in the world.

-For where to have your pledge rewards go to: Probably place with most players and most of your gaming will take place: EU/NA
-For PVE - just pick where your guild and everyone else plays at: EU/NA
-For PVP limited - you can play in either local or EU/NA doesn't matter and can be changed depending on the time it's at and where scheduled tournaments are currently taking place
-For PVP constructed - this is the only issue. If you want to play on both servers, you will need to collect complete set of cards in both places. However you can again pick the EU/NA one and for the scheduled constructed PVP, making plans accordingly. (not ideal ,but only real major problem)

So I would say just use EU/NA account exclusively except in the offchance that you want to enter some scheduled tournament and you realize that the times you play, there are only tournaments firing in your local server. There is no lag problem and no restrictions, so why not? You were going to have problems playing scheduled tournaments with EU/NA players anyways in regards to time difference.

dodecapod
10-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Yes and that's exactly where the problem is, because I'm gonna be spending most of my time in PVP constructed. To be quite honest, I'm leaning towards making an account in US/EU simply because of the obvious larger base players there. But this type of behaviour is detrimental to the idea of having separate gardens. I'll be joining a server, while exacerbating traffic in a server that I "should" have been in. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this dilemma, which would mean traffic issues would be quite significant.

Anyways, like I said I may be thinking too much about it. However, I don't think making multiple accounts in every garden is a satisfactory solution, and is really against the core idea of gardens.

majin
10-24-2013, 11:43 PM
i am really expecting hex to have a global market place and not this regional wall they are giving us. they want hex to go global and yet they are preventing us to trade globally

for someone who lives in the Philippines and have experience the crap that LUG put us through on other games, this really isn't the good news i was expecting

bootlace
10-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Blizzard had to remove real money auction house from Diablo III Korean release to comply with anti-gambling laws. Now imagine that we have a global server as everyone wants and let's say Cory makes the awesome announcement that everyone wants to hear that they are making Hex a serious eSports game and will allow real money prize payouts.

Korean and maybe other authorities step in and say this is against their regulations and Hex is breaking laws. At this point either this feature has to be removed from the global servers, or Hex players in Korea can't play the game.

This is the kind of concerns I'm guessing they're anticipating and wisely taking precautions to avoid.

I'm really not sure how being able to join any server from any region without restrictions plays into this though - perhaps its a grey area that authorities don't realize as Hex is seemingly complying with them by making the local servers follow the rules...

Hippoponamus
10-25-2013, 12:05 AM
i am really expecting hex to have a global market place and not this regional wall they are giving us. they want hex to go global and yet they are preventing us to trade globally

for someone who lives in the Philippines and have experience the crap that LUG put us through on other games, this really isn't the good news i was expecting

The thing about publishers that most players tend to not realize is that outside of customer service, (which is a HUGE factor on keeping or losing players) they have very little to no control over what happens to the games they release. Bugs, exploits, game issues of any form, are all up to the developer to address. If the developer don't see the urgency in fixing issues with the game, the publisher is usually left on their own to try and salvage whatever they can and try their best to assuage their player base. Oftentimes a publisher is prevented to directly lay the blame on the developers (through legal restrictions or just plain business ethics), which leads to players hating their guts.

I'm pretty sure these publishers have done a lot of good as well and have considerable number of satisfied customers, or else they wouldn't be still in business after all these years. I say give them a chance for now and if they start making bad decisions or if they start neglecting their walled gardens, then let's make sure to let Corey know.

Also, Walled Garden = Money Trees? ;)

djlowballer
10-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Blizzard releases a Korean version of the game and has a Korean legal entity so it is subject to Korean law. CzE is a US company and is only responsible for complying with laws in the United States. They can offer cash prizes subject to US law or license events in other countries adhoc. The "walled garden" sounds more like a financial deal rather than something good for the community.

kingzzk
10-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Off topic

Walled Garden reminds me of Attack of the Titans... or maybe they got the idea from there... :p

down2one
10-25-2013, 12:35 AM
I have a mixed reaction. While I am also from the Philippines, I am not certain if Level Up was the best partner for this. I have played Ragnarok Online (since its inception) and RF Online (also since inception) and have watched them slowly degrade into unplayable messes of bots and trolls. While I am pleased to be able to play matches in my own time zone, I would rather have a less stressful experience.

Also, it worries me a lot because there was a huge snafu many years back with Level Up when some of its GMs were found to be conspiring with guilds and providing uber items. This has a huge effect on competitive play and the economy so I hope CZE will impose checks and balances on the creation of virtual assets.

this is my main issue with levelup too, that's why i stopped playing ragnarok online... let's just hope they learn from their mistakes.

the part where we won't be able to transfer servers made me die a little bit inside. i mean, what if say our walled garden becomes mismanaged (see quoted post)? or what if one walled garden's players base is so small that it affects economy? less trades and less competition (since we can't trade with players from other gardens)

i hope cory and the cz guys get to address this in the future, maybe something like gw2's world transfer where you can pay currency to transfer your account to another server...

i'm really excited to show this game to my friends here at home, we have a solid tcg group here (yearly participants to mtg national tournaments). i just hope levelup won't mess this up for us

Rapkannibale
10-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Wow,pretty controversial post this one. :)

Personally the only thing that concerns me a bit is the partnership with Gameforge. As other's have mentioned that publisher has a really bad reputation with European players and often offer worse (for the community) services for games compared to how the same game is run in other regions.

My worst fear is that even though Cory said that he remains in full control even with pricing, they will come with data and numbers showing that they can get away with a more "aggressive" monetization in the European market. I hope they take the Blizzard approach where an entry into the Arena for example is 1.99 USD or 1.79 EUR. That is still about 50 USD cents more expensive with current exchange rates but more reasonable than just saying 1.99 USD or 1.99 EUR.

In the end I trusted Cory with a lot of money and he still has my trust and support. I truly believe that he will be able to see past any shiny data that may not be in the best interest of the community and that he remains in full control of all things related to the game and Gameforge is really only providing the infrastructure. Even though I think customer support will also go through them, and they have very poor customer support as others have mentioned. But let's not all panic now.

Remember this is Cory we are talking about. The guy who dressed in drag to get us to raise his baby. :)

He will do the right thing.

Cheers!

benczi
10-25-2013, 02:04 AM
Blizzard releases a Korean version of the game and has a Korean legal entity so it is subject to Korean law. CzE is a US company and is only responsible for complying with laws in the United States. They can offer cash prizes subject to US law or license events in other countries adhoc. The "walled garden" sounds more like a financial deal rather than something good for the community.

I'm quite sure that with all the NSA revelations, some laws will change in Europe, and elsewhere. Things like no personal information may be sent to the US, or it may be stricter in some places, so this walled gardens idea seems quite brilliant to me, like preparing for the inevitable, and all that.

Tunedbeats
10-25-2013, 03:13 AM
Foreign markets. Both Gameforge and Level Up! are based outside the US and they are undisputed leaders in their regions. The localization and support available for these global players will be amazing and years ahead of what we could have provided on our own. My goal was always to create a global community around HEX, making it a worldwide phenomenon. This is big step forward to that goal.

I do have a question about this if you have the time, Cory. Will Gameforge also be handling purchases and the like for EU? And if they are, will they handle pricing in compliance with exchange rates or will they handle it like 1$=1€?

The latter is what I am somewhat concerned about.

WaycoolPH
10-25-2013, 03:26 AM
What's our assurance (and what's going to stop) LevelUp from selling cards themselves? Oh believe me this can happen.

this is my main issue with levelup too, that's why i stopped playing ragnarok online... let's just hope they learn from their mistakes.

the part where we won't be able to transfer servers made me die a little bit inside. i mean, what if say our walled garden becomes mismanaged (see quoted post)? or what if one walled garden's players base is so small that it affects economy? less trades and less competition (since we can't trade with players from other gardens)

i hope cory and the cz guys get to address this in the future, maybe something like gw2's world transfer where you can pay currency to transfer your account to another server...

i'm really excited to show this game to my friends here at home, we have a solid tcg group here (yearly participants to mtg national tournaments). i just hope levelup won't mess this up for us

soulnether
10-25-2013, 05:11 AM
GameForge NO WAY!!! not in my life time i would rather play the us version then go to them every good AAA game the get there hands on the [removed] Up

Dropbear
10-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Dropbear's list of predictions:

- Phillipines Server will be instant ghost-town, everyone will be on US/EU. If it was named SEA it could be kinda useful but everyone would be on US/EU anyway.
- Gameforge will need to step up their game to provide for everything, but hopefully they don't [removed] up. Worst case we'll be screaming "YOU [removed] UP YOU [removed] UP" when the EU tourny server crashes and EU just plays on the Global server for a bit.
- WHERES MY INVITE
- If Europe gets any sort of price difference over US in buying plat, THERE WILL BE BLOOD. (even if it's 2c and it's pretty much even, please prove me right by not $1=EU1)
- AusNZ all go onto US/EU and we continue our sheep rivalry without incident.
- Russia and South America will be hit by increased costs, causing them to just go to US/EU or if they don't have a way to convert money just complain 24/7 on the fourms. (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PROVE ME WRONG ON THIS)
- WHERES MY INVITE
- Everyone will complain about how one card costs X on one server but Y on the other, this will always be such a small cost that it really doesn't matter at all.
- Really, no global trade posts? That seems odd as hell to me, why is this not possible (Consider Guild Wars 2, which has one global trading post server for everyone on different shards). If it's due to coding [removed], I guess it's understandable but I'd expect it to happen. I'd like a bigger explanation why this isn't possible and if this could be considered an AFTER RELEASE thing.
- WHERES MY INVITE
- I understand that China needs a separate server (Skin needs to be drawn on skeletons for example), don't see a Chinese partner though.
- Guilds will probably all go onto US/EU. Unless you have people in Russia or Brazil, you really don't need to worry about this, everyone goes onto US/EU.
- WHERES MY INVITE
- So to sum it all up: Philippines is a wasteland, don't worry about rest unless you live in Russia, China or Brazil, you'll be on US/EU, OH GOD WHY DID I ONLY PLEDGE $65 MAH INVITE

All in all: You were expecting them to buy their own servers for this? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA No. It costs a [removed] to run servers for this and then you need customer support and billing and oh dear I've gone crosseyed. I'm unsure if there's anyone better than Gameforge to partner up with, anyone want to give any suggestions?

Dropbear
10-25-2013, 05:13 AM
GameForge NO WAY!!! not in my life time i would rather play the us version then go to them every good AAA game the get there hands on the [removed] Up

...Can you please explain with proper grammar why you feel this way? Point out some examples?

Vengus
10-25-2013, 06:04 AM
What's our assurance (and what's going to stop) LevelUp from selling cards themselves? Oh believe me this can happen.
The fact that CRZ owns the shop? I am pretty sure if one of the publishers started selling cards they will have to deal with one very pissed off Cory.

ramseytheory
10-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Let's just repeat a few things that bear repeating:

- The US and Europe are in the same territory for all purposes except regional tournament timings.

- Everyone is free to create an account in the US/Europe garden if they want - the only disadvantages will be awkward tournament timings and slightly increased lag. If there were no walled gardens, there would still be awkward tournament timings - most of the players right now are based in the US and Europe, so a majority of tournaments would be scheduled according to US and Europe timezones.

- There will be no significant price differentials between "reasonably accessible markets". (I'm guessing this translates to "anywhere except China and possibly Russia" - I could see them getting lower prices due to the reduced average income.) If there were significant price differentials, you could get around them trivially by making your account in a different garden.

- Gameforge is being used in the US as well as Europe. So if they give awful service, CZE can't ignore it or it hurts their bottom line in the US as well.

- Cory has the final say over everything, contractually. The publishers can't force pay-to-win stores or anything like that. He's said this explicitly and repeatedly. The publishers are there to provide things like billing, customer service and server farms, not to change the game itself.

- CZE can't reasonably hire customer service reps who speak the language of every country in the world. They can't reasonably hire lawyers for every country in the world, or consultants who know the business practices of every country in the world. And they can't operate server farms in every region of the world. Not with a budget of $2,300,000, not even with a budget of $23,000,000. They're not Blizzard yet, people. They need help for this stuff, and that means publishers and walled gardens.

- The sky is not falling. For feck's sake.

For what it's worth, I'm in Europe and still pretty optimistic over the announcement. I'd be a lot more worried if CZE were trying to do all this themselves, frankly.

Tunedbeats
10-25-2013, 06:53 AM
- There will be no significant price differentials between "reasonably accessible markets".

You'd be surprised how many developers/publishers find the convenient 1$=1€ not significant enough. Its insulting but happens a lot. I would just like a statement wheter this will be the case for Hex as well.

ramseytheory
10-25-2013, 07:08 AM
You'd be surprised how many developers/publishers find the convenient 1$=1€ not significant enough. Its insulting but happens a lot. I would just like a statement wheter this will be the case for Hex as well.

Here's the full Cory quote (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=29086&page=3&p=310679#post310679):

Not sure what the advantage would be to multiple accounts, I don’t expect the a price differential in easily accessible markets
"Significant" was my choice of words, not Cory's, and I meant it in the genuine sense rather than the corporate jargon sense. (Like, there might be price differentials caused by fluctuating exchange rates or similar, but they won't be big enough to care about.) The original quote pretty explicitly implies that we won't be getting $1 = €1.

majin
10-25-2013, 09:07 AM
if cory will give us his word that IF a publisher screwed up that we can easily transfer our account to another garden, it will put a lot of mind at ease. I want to play on the Philippines garden but like most of the Filipinos who posted here, level up is known to screw up and even mismanage / cheat / collude on tourneys. That was is the past but those things are very hard to forget if you're a hard core gamer who put in time and money on their games

Mathaw
10-25-2013, 09:54 AM
You hired an engineer fom MTGO? Well it is a marvelously put together application (biggest sarcasm tag available)

Mathaw
10-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Can we get an actual confirmation that there won't be a bogus €2 = $2 system? I was personally quite excited for a simple $2 per pack system after playin MTGO - which is basically a racket set up to punish Europeans.

When's the mac alpha coming?

Shadowelf
10-25-2013, 10:15 AM

Latest official info we have;

Crossposting from the General thread (and as someone who owns two MacBook Pros, iPhone, and iPad)

I just spoke to the person who speaks for that project. It's on the to-do list, but right now we're focused on getting the servers stable and the client going. He projected end-of-alpha or sometime during the beta. It's regrettable and I want to offer our apologies, but we have so many other issues that take priority over getting the Mac client going. We know we committed to making HEX run native on Mac products and we will make good on that commitment. I'll be posting this in the Friday update to let the collective community know.

Until we're able to deliver that, we recommend using Bootcamp or another solution in order to play the HEX alpha.

escapeRoute
10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Can we get an actual confirmation that there won't be a bogus €2 = $2 system? I was personally quite excited for a simple $2 per pack system after playin MTGO - which is basically a racket set up to punish Europeans.

well, if they wont get the 1=1 thing, i may actually try to give gameforge the benefit of doubth, even after many... MANY bad experiences... MANY :/

it would at least be a signal of some sort of good will...

DrakarT
10-25-2013, 11:45 AM
So... looks like the only disadvantage that i read of using another Garden.... is the timing zone for tournaments... then... If i have a Timing zone that is almost like the one on US.... why should I chose a Garden with lower population and less cards on the AH?
if it was going to be hard/expensive to get some cards for example the KS exclusives... if we are on a lower Garden.. its going to be worse...
Im thinking of holding my KS rewards until I see the populations... >.< unless I HAVE to stay on my Garden
I really Hope that this garden thing is going to improve everything, as with LoL, it was impossible to imagine a LoL Ad on my City and since it was divided to Latin America i've found even some Bus ads O.o!
im not angry.. just a little worried >.<

DreamPuppet
10-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Making separate accounts in NA/US and other gardens isn't as easy as you make it to be. You are discounting the pledge rewards we backers have. We have to carefully choose a garden that has longevity and a thriving economy.

Which is easy, US/EU will always be the biggest.

Aleiur
10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
As an Australian, my biggest concern is the pricing as well.

We seem to get an 'Aussie tax' on anything electronic. It would be good to know whether we would be paying the same as players in America or not.

Yoss
10-25-2013, 01:38 PM
...Can you please explain with proper grammar why you feel this way? Point out some examples?

One of the other forum members put up a laundry list with citations and links in one of the other threads. GF seems to have a rather terrible reputation. (I have no personal experience with them, so I cannot confirm or deny the allegations.)

RuthlessSqueak
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
As to the news:

1. New Alpha Wave: Great!, loading up right now.
2. Walling Communities: Boo!, while this is generally a financial boon for companies especially new companies it often leads to lots of long terms problems, see the effects of internet cafe culture on blizzard games in terms of spamming and gold farming. See the effect of the competitive disadvantage in number of esports games basically because players in the strongest region (S. Korea) can create and play on accounts in the EU and us, while players in those regions can't because of the need to have a registered S. Korean identification card. Or see the countless cases where regional pricing differences lead to animosity and transfer communities heading to regions for savings or even access (hardcore players that invest heavily in skins in LoL for instance routinely transfer to regions that were selling skins retired from NA/EU). Finally this is a massive potential threat to real value for collectors/players, because regional differences in supply and demand and the long term growth of the game. In magic if I had a lotus and 5 years passed it accumulated a lot of value, things like the kickstarter rewards may over saturate launch markets with little to no availability on later launching regions (effectively making the value of investment significantly different based solely on where you live). Not to mention some regions like China may end up inking special internet cafe deals that remove the collectibility of the game, if so how do you justify allowing access to all the cards for one region while charging to unlock them in others (especially in a CCG, which despite your constant references is a different beast than a moba).
3. Gameforge..... Gameforge does not have a good reputation, and this is for good reasons.

So mixed feelings: currently guardedly optimistic still

Mathaw
10-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Latest official info we have;

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Bit of a disappointment, but as a slacker backer it doesn't look like I'll be making it in much before then anyways :p

Arbiter
10-25-2013, 02:39 PM
As an Australian, my biggest concern is the pricing as well.

We seem to get an 'Aussie tax' on anything electronic. It would be good to know whether we would be paying the same as players in America or not.

The Australian Tax being that thing which says "you are in Australia? Pay $2.19 for a track at iTunes instead of $1.29." A recent study showed it was cheaper to fly to the US and buy some professional software than buy the exact same product here. Worry about regional special pricing will likely push all Australian servers - though in truth that is likely to happen anyway as for all things except time zone it is the best fit.

Murtaugh
10-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Level Up! will be doing our own announcement at the Pinoy Gaming Festival at the World Trade Center in Pasay all this weekend. I'd love to meet with any of the local Hex fans that are around and discuss, as players and publisher how we can make Hex the biggest title in the Philippines. Heading over there now.

keroko
10-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Just curious, but what are your plans for regions not outlined in your post, specifically Japan.

Will those territories falling outside of the NA, GF, and LU coverage be grouped with the North American server for PvE, Auction House, regional tournament content?

would be interested in knowing this also; this one's marketable to JP.

@shadowelf asked in the thread about a consolidated Q&A for a future friday update. a good idea.

I'm happy, and not easily satisfied. This all looks like good challenge and opportunity imo.

dodecapod
10-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Which is easy, US/EU will always be the biggest.

That's exactly my point. Why have separate gardens, when people will just choose US/EU. Resulting in other gardens suffering. Currently US/EU is the best choice for all hex players. The gardens makes it difficult for players to choose which server to play in. It just causes confusion and added cost imo.

Currently the only benefit (from my understanding of the official statement) of this garden idea, is having tournament run at local time. That's the claim. But I really don't see how a US/EU server can't just run tournaments around the clock. I play online poker, and they run tournaments around the clock, adding/removing tourneys based on statistical time traffic.

Shadowelf
10-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeap according to what they said, there will be on demand events running day/night so i don't see how timezones will be a problem to a highly populated server like the one EU/US will turn out to be

When HEX launches, we will offer 4 different queues for players to jump in and play any time 8 people are interested. This is the most flexible way to play: any time you have 3 hours, you can start and finish a tournament. The queues are: Constructed, Competitive Draft, Casual Draft, and Swiss Play Draft.

http://hextcg.com/game/tournaments/

Yamaki
10-25-2013, 08:00 PM
As a Brazilian backer I have one question: If I choose the Latin America region, will I have to use the localized client from that region?

I hate to say this, but localization is usually terrible around here. I'd rather play the game in English than having to deal with terrible translation and sometimes even grammar errors...

I know it's not a important feature but please take this in consideration for the release.

majin
10-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Level Up! will be doing our own announcement at the Pinoy Gaming Festival at the World Trade Center in Pasay all this weekend. I'd love to meet with any of the local Hex fans that are around and discuss, as players and publisher how we can make Hex the biggest title in the Philippines. Heading over there now.

i hope we can organize something so Philippine backers can get together sometime to discuss this. I only know 3 currently, my wife, doodz (producer) and another fellow CBB. I guess there are a few more who posted here.

I am willing to give LUG the benefit of the doubt that they won't drop the ball this time especially when you are personally involve and invested in the game and wants to make it the next big thing like we all believe it will be. I mean you can't get higher in the LUG ladder than it's co-founder :)

Filena
10-26-2013, 05:00 AM
worried about gameforge, but well give the benefit of doubt.

I think one server with different time zone tourney would be a lot better, most ppl gonna create on the US/euro server anyway. and you can put rule per country the same way, when suscribe to tourney you put some pop up you have to read and accept and voila.

majin
10-26-2013, 07:31 AM
@cory: hope you will be able to read this later, while chatting with doodz, an idea came up that will be a good compromise. 1 time free account transfer to a different garden for kickstarter backers. this feels like a good compromise so people can try their local garden and just transfer out if it became a ghost town early or if it gets mismanaged

this way, we can still feel protected as we will be betting on the publisher's ability to handle the game we pledge on and still give our local gardens a shot instead of just selecting the na/eu garden as it's the most populated one.

LevelUpGamerPh
10-26-2013, 08:59 AM
@cory:
If Level Up! Inc decides to shut down Hex TCG PH due to mismanagement. What will happen to our accounts? Will it be another failure like ROSE Online PH and Allods PH. Money down the drain?
Please enlighten us Cory
The Filipino community wants to hear your response regarding Level Up! Inc

Shadowelf
10-26-2013, 09:07 AM
@cory:
If Level Up! Inc decides to shut down Hex TCG PH due to mismanagement. What will happen to our accounts? Will it be another failure like ROSE Online PH and Allods PH. Money down the drain?
Please enlighten us Cory
The Filipino community wants to hear your response regarding Level Up! Inc

Gameforge and level up will offer additional platform support, assisting Cory's dream of a global hex community and eSports. Cory and cze will have the final say on everything

with experienced platform providers such as Gameforge and Level Up! will ensure these tournaments run smoothly and are stable immediately at launch, while expanding HEX‘s global reach, guaranteeing players around the world experience an unparalleled level of gameplay.

http://hextcg.com/hex-goes-worldwide/

Rest assured, I remain in control of all elements of the game, from pricing to launch dates, and nothing has been compromised with the decision to bring on these partners."

update #53 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts

So if such a case ever arises, i'm sure that those accounts will be tranfered to another sever or players will be given the choice of joining a server of their liking

Showsni
10-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Doing some research on Gameforge did throw up a few worries, but I'm optimistic they'll have learnt their lessons, and that Crypto can keep them in line if need be. The most worrying thing was probably that site with reviews on the company that someone posted a link to: http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Gameforge-Reviews-E509818.htm

Especially the "Ok for a job, not for a career" review from one of the employees at the acquired Berlin branch (formerly Frogster). He had concerns that the company were "addicted to the malady of small “get rich quick” schemes that invest in poorly designed browser games and suck customers dry before they become aware of the ploy" and "oblivious to the idea that a well-advertised and well-maintained game will attract paying players." Now, the absolute last thing any of us want is for Hex to become one of those Skinner Box games whose entire goal is to suck money out of players as efficiently as possible. Luckily is seems Crypto are going to do as much as they can to keep Hex as a fun, top quality game that attracts customers on its merits, so perhaps this partnership is a sign that Gameforge have seen the light and decided to go in for a quality game for a change.

majin
10-26-2013, 11:15 AM
@shadow: thanks for the reply but we prefer (those who played LUG games before) assurance (on a form of an official announcement or guidelines if a garden fails or becomes a ghost town, got mismanaged, etc) of this from Cory or CZE. there had been a lot of posts already on how LUG failed us in the past and we didn't get any compensation at all.

Shadowelf
10-26-2013, 11:22 AM
@shadow: thanks for the reply but we prefer (those who played LUG games before) assurance (on a form of an official announcement or guidelines if a garden fails or becomes a ghost town, got mismanaged, etc) of this from Cory or CZE. there had been a lot of posts already on how LUG failed us in the past and we didn't get any compensation at all.

I see, and totally understand your concerns; let's hope Cory or someone else from cze blesses us with an answer :)

hammer
10-26-2013, 02:20 PM
I wonder if the Professor of economics had input into the design of the wall-garden economies or at least a chance to speculate and model. Actually thinking about it, I would like to hear more from the Hex Economist.

mudkip
10-26-2013, 10:07 PM
I wonder if the Professor of economics had input into the design of the wall-garden economies or at least a chance to speculate and model. Actually thinking about it, I would like to hear more from the Hex Economist.

Is Shaqattaq the economist? For some reason I assumed he was.

mydragoon
10-27-2013, 11:06 PM
based on this:
http://hextcg.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/GlobalTournamentServer.jpg

so, malaysia & singapore will fall under which publisher/ group?

i hope we still have options to play friendly (aka non-global tourney) with players from other regions... one reason for backing this was the 'global' possibility.

Shadowelf
10-28-2013, 05:17 AM
based on this:

i hope we still have options to play friendly (aka non-global tourney) with players from other regions... one reason for backing this was the 'global' possibility.

I think that you will be able to play friendly with others in this case; note 'tournament' doesn't necessarily mean that you will only be playing tournaments.

Global tournaments will offer a robust set of formats, everything you would see on the regional tournaments servers, and those global tournaments offering the same prizing globally, including our premier eSports events. So, yes, you will be able to play with your friend in Vietnam and your cousin in Germany on the tournament server.

Entityofsin
10-29-2013, 08:08 AM
I really like the idea behind the Apprentice Program. Maybe if I get out of business school and have the means to pursue this I might apply for it. I'd love to help design cards and do internal card testing and get a little experience in the industry.

The only question I have regarding the Apprentice Program is how long is this going to be offered? I'm thinking long term so that's why I ask.

Glad to also see more invites going out (cause I'm a Slacker Backer and that's a great update since I'm in the last group to get in).

Shadowelf
10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
The only question I have regarding the Apprentice Program is how long is this going to be offered? I'm thinking long term so that's why I ask.

Asked Cory about it and he blessed me with this answer;

Its ongoing, we are always looking for super talent, that said it will depend on where the team is at in terms of size and content we need to create

DarkFact
10-29-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi Cory,

My brother and I supported Hex, hoping to play together even in the PvE environments. I am currently in the United States, and he is in Mexico. Due to the global walled environments, will he be able to play with me if he were to pick a US server, or will he be IP-locked to the latin american servers?

Thanks for your time, and I understand the motive behind the move. Just wanting to know what's going to happen.

Vengus
10-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi Cory,

My brother and I supported Hex, hoping to play together even in the PvE environments. I am currently in the United States, and he is in Mexico. Due to the global walled environments, will he be able to play with me if he were to pick a US server, or will he be IP-locked to the latin american servers?

Thanks for your time, and I understand the motive behind the move. Just wanting to know what's going to happen.
HEX won't be region locked: http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=29086&page=7&p=310904&viewfull=1#post310904

mydragoon
10-31-2013, 06:33 PM
I think that you will be able to play friendly with others in this case; note 'tournament' doesn't necessarily mean that you will only be playing tournaments.

thanks for the reply... but just wanna get further clarification...
* if i play friendly, will i be connecting to the regional tourney servers or the global servers? or i can choose? if i connect to regional servers, then does it mean i can't play with others from another region?

what you quoted from HEX:TCG post... it says GLOBAL tournaments... that i can understand... but what about regional?

also, this got me thinking... will each region have their own events? will we end up with one region having more events than another (perhaps due to lazy partner)? or will the events be rolled out to all, but managed regionally?

Shadowelf
11-01-2013, 04:10 AM
thanks for the reply... but just wanna get further clarification...
* if i play friendly, will i be connecting to the regional tourney servers or the global servers? or i can choose? if i connect to regional servers, then does it mean i can't play with others from another region?

First you have to choose the garden you will belong to; the tournaments/events/matches played at your garden will be played regionally. You can choose to play regionally or globally.

The Global tournaments are available to everyone in every territory and will have tournaments day-and-night. Global tournaments will offer a robust set of formats, everything you would see on the regional tournaments servers, and those global tournaments offering the same prizing globally, including our premier eSports events

what you quoted from HEX:TCG post... it says GLOBAL tournaments... that i can understand... but what about regional?

also, this got me thinking... will each region have their own events? will we end up with one region having more events than another (perhaps due to lazy partner)? or will the events be rolled out to all, but managed regionally?

Yeap each region will have its own events; it's not yet clear how those events will be managed

Regional sets will offer tournaments tailored to the local time zones (so you’re playing in qualifier tournaments when you want to play) and also take advantage of what formats are most popular in that region (who knows, maybe Russia will love double elimination King of the Hill sealed deck).

Kiven
11-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Knowing/worked for/played with Phil personally makes me excited about his passion in bringing Hex to the Philippines. I just hope we spend more time playing than looking for someone to play with.