havocattack
10-24-2013, 10:51 AM
http://hextcg.com/hex-goes-worldwide/

http://hextcg.com/whats-happening-with-hex/

yay, nothing bad :D

discuss

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I'm a bit sad about the sharding of the world. But I can also understand why it's necessary. I extremely dislike unique content across servers. Some of my favorite lol skins are only available in other regions. I'd like to be able to experience the Chinese mythos dungeons and whatnot. But that would take more resources localizing everything. =( still, I dislike it.

Overall it's good news. And you can always app with CBB Producer guy. You'll be in good company.

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm a bit sad about the sharding of the world. But I can also understand why it's necessary. I extremely dislike unique content across servers. Some of my favorite lol skins are only available in other regions. I'd like to be able to experience the Chinese mythos dungeons and whatnot. But that would take more resources localizing everything. =( still, I dislike it.

Overall it's good news. And you can always app with CBB Producer guy. You'll be in good company.

understood and it will be limited, its just a reality I have to face if I want to provide the best possible experience for players in other parts of the world (a champion based on a popular folk hero, just wouldn’t make sense to players in different parts of the world), all taste is not the same, and in some regions there are rules about art as an example… like not showing bones

Vengus
10-24-2013, 11:21 AM
understood and it will be limited, its just a reality I have to face if I want to provide the best possible experience for players in other parts of the world (a champion based on a popular folk hero, just wouldn’t make sense to players in different parts of the world), all taste is not the same, and in some regions there are rules about art as an example… like not showing bones
The whole Blood shard can't exist in China, and probably not in Germany either. :p

Icepick
10-24-2013, 11:29 AM
The whole Blood shard can't exist in China, and probably not in Germany either. :p

It's ok, blood is purple in Hex, not red! :p

havocattack
10-24-2013, 11:33 AM
The sharding makes sense and I don't mind it at all :)
Really great news overall, good to see another Engineer on the team too, all that work for all those cards and equipment etc... makes my head spin thinking about the amount of work that would be :P

ossuary
10-24-2013, 11:41 AM
The rules on artistic display and such are interesting, I hadn't thought about that aspect of it. I was thinking of things from a purely technological point of view (server load, latency, having more people logged in at the same time, local privacy laws regarding data stored outside the region, etc.). It makes a lot of sense from both points of view to have regional servers... but it would be nice if people could voluntarily start a character in another region, if they're willing to accept the latency and other risks associated with it (and understanding that for legal reasons you can never transfer characters between regions).

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Sure, and then you can have nudity in places with less ridiculous nudity laws! I'll be rolling on those servers, thanks.

I do have a serious concern, and that is how large guilds will need to be structured. Do we need to be thinking about CBB on each separate shard? Or will guilds be shard agnostic. Can anyone from any shard join any guild, and make use of the communication and deck testing features, etc. I realize it's very early to make a hard line comment on that, but please do keep it in mind as something that will help us organize the sooner we can find out.

Slamdancer
10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
-

incitfulmonk21
10-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Not the greatest news ever at first glance but could possibly lead to great things.

Not a huge fan of sharding but in the end I do understand how terrible one shard can be to manage.

Certainly not a fan of taking on publishers as you never know if it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread or the final nail in a coffin but not much to do but wait and see on that.

In the end I backed because I had faith in CZE and while, them still making the final decisions alleviates some fears. To say these publishers will have no influence or force CZE to make compromises is kind naive. Hopefully its just a good influence.

In the end if they do more good than harm then bring them on.

Even after this announcement I still have massive faith in CZE and if it all goes well this is indeed exciting news.

Hiring awesome employees is always great news though and hopefully this partnership will be great for everyone involved.

Edit: Totally forgot great news on more people joining in Alpha soon.

Deathmustard
10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Adding an Engineer with this guys credentials is good news. There is a lot of working parts to this game.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Mixed feelings on Gameforge. They used to be pretty good, but after Klaas left, kinda went down the drain a bit :(

If it makes you feel any better, the agreement signed gives Cory the final say in issues. Not sure how much it'll help, but I am sure he will do everything possible to ensure service is exceptional.

ossuary
10-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Sure, and then you can have nudity in places with less ridiculous nudity laws! I'll be rolling on those servers, thanks.

I do have a serious concern, and that is how large guilds will need to be structured. Do we need to be thinking about CBB on each separate shard? Or will guilds be shard agnostic. Can anyone from any shard join any guild, and make use of the communication and deck testing features, etc. I realize it's very early to make a hard line comment on that, but please do keep it in mind as something that will help us organize the sooner we can find out.

My gut says that the player profiles and logins would be regional server-specific, so there would be no cross-region guilds. You would have to have a separate chapter of the guild on each server, and they wouldn't be able to share with each other directly in-game. But that obviously is just my opinion, based on past experience with regional privacy laws.

Who knows? Maybe CZE can come up with some cool way to get around this... register the guilds to be connected, and just the decklists get shared in the guild vaults, or set up some kind of international trades-only AH so players from different regions can communicate and trade with each other... there are options. CCP runs EVE Online as a single shard for the whole planet, so it must be POSSIBLE... guilds specifically recruit people from other countries so they can have 24/7 protection for their joint property / territory.

Mixed feelings on Gameforge. They used to be pretty good, but after Klaas left, kinda went down the drain a bit :(

Hopefully working with the cool cats at CZE will help inspire them to be better. Phil from Level-Up certainly seemed inspired by CZE's attitude and operations.

incitfulmonk21
10-24-2013, 11:51 AM

Yeah Gameforge is the partner I have a very uneasy feeling about.

ryuukan
10-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks Cory, now I get to stare at my inbox all day in anticipation

So hyped to jump in

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Not the greatest news ever at first glance but could possibly lead to great things.

Not a huge fan of sharding but in the end I do understand how terrible one shard can be to manage.

Certainly not a fan of taking on publishers as you never know if it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread or the final nail in a coffin but not much to do but wait and see on that.

In the end I backed because I had faith in CZE and while, them still making the final decisions alleviates some fears. To say these publishers will have no influence or force CZE to make compromises is kind naive. Hopefully its just a good influence.

In the end if they do more good than harm then bring them on.

Even after this announcement I still have massive faith in CZE and if it all goes well this is indeed exciting news.

Hiring awesome employees is always great news though and hopefully this partnership will be great for everyone involved.

I know it’s a bit hard to believe but the ONLY reason we did this was the guarantee that I will have final say (contractually), so please put that fear to rest

Cory_Jones
10-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah Gameforge is the partner I have a very uneasy feeling about.

They have hired an entire team just for HEX and so far everyone is awesome, they really “get it” and believe in my vision for this community and game, remember a publisher / developer relationship has two side and both need to be working together to have something special… I think it this case it will be special (also this isn’t your typical arrangement; we have retained control and will insure that quality is always the first priority)

WhiteBubbles7
10-24-2013, 11:58 AM
All in all it's progress and I for one am never averse to that. Keep up the good work CZE.

Slamdancer
10-24-2013, 11:59 AM
They have hired an entire team just for HEX and so far everyone is awesome, they really “get it” and believe in my vision for this community and game, remember a publisher / developer relationship has two side and both need to be working together to have something special… I think it this case it will be special (also this isn’t your typical arrangement; we have retained control and will insure that quality is always the first priority)

Can we expect near instant support from them, even on payment issues and the like? Cause on some of their other games, whole servers dont get any maintenance where >1000 people complained cause the server isnt running properly anymore? For half a year and more?

Glognar
10-24-2013, 11:59 AM
Sounds like good news, but I'm from the UK supposedly in europe and can honestly say I have never heard of Gameforge, and having just looked them up on the net, haven't heard of any of the games they are involved in.

So I guess will have to trust Crytozoic's judgement on this one.

Otherwise good news all round.

keroko
10-24-2013, 12:03 PM
@glognar they are going to be doing Aion for one - nyurk nyurk.

http://en.gameforge.com/games/gamelist

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Understood! As long as I can create a US account and play With you guys I am totally fine With it.
I don't want anything to do With GameForge. Except for AION, their enitre line up is nothing but cheap Asian F2P titles.
NCSoft partnered With GameForge when AION went F2P and the experience for the EU players that went there haven't been particularly good (to say it nicely).
Luckily With AION there was no region registriction, so I could continue using my NCSoft account and play on US servers.

If you gonna put a region Lock on HEX and I am forced to create an account With Gameforge and play on their servers. Then sadly... we will have to part ways right here and I feel forced to ask for a refund! :(

I really don't want it to come to this! So I hope you seriously not considering putting region Locks on Your servers!

Slamdancer
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Understood! As long as I can create a US account and play With you guys I am totally fine With it.
I don't want anything to do With GameForge.
NCSoft partnered With GameForge when AION went F2P and the experience for the EU players that went there haven't been particularly good (to say it nicely).
Luckily With AION there was no region registriction, so I could continue using my NCSoft account and play on US servers.

If you gonna put a region Lock on HEX and I am forced to create an account With Gameforge and play on their servers. Then sadly... we will have to part ways right here and I feel forced to ask for a refund! :(

Dito :)

WhiteBubbles7
10-24-2013, 12:06 PM
@glognar they are going to be doing Aion for one - nyurk nyurk.

http://en.gameforge.com/games/gamelist
Of all those games the only one i recognize is Runes of Magic. The rest seem...childish?

Sergan
10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
Im from Latin America (Chile) and never heard about Levelup, but if CZE have the final word (and Phil is believable) i give a vote of confidence for my region.

keroko
10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
point being - they've deployed a ton of like systems.

Cory goes over a bit about what he sees in Gameforge and LevelUp! as partners in the announcement (http://hextcg.com/whats-happening-with-hex/)

when he talks about platform services and foreign markets.

That second one is a big thing when you've invariably got different purchase laws and all sorts of regulations which might appear odd or unexpected to us Americans.

copulat0r
10-24-2013, 12:19 PM
All this talk about regions, no one is going crazy happy that wave 2 starts today?! I know I am!

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:20 PM
point being - they've deployed a ton of like systems.

Cory goes over a bit about what he sees in Gameforge and LevelUp! as partners in the announcement (http://hextcg.com/whats-happening-with-hex/)

when he talks about platform services and foreign markets.

That second one is a big thing when you've invariably got different purchase laws and all sorts of regulations which might appear odd or unexpected to us Americans.

They didn't have to split up the US and Europe. Totally unecessary decision.
This comes totally unexpected and is the worst possible News for me when it comes to HEX!
And I am sure I am not the only one in this. Extremely dissapointed!

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:21 PM
All this talk about regions, no one is going crazy happy that wave 2 starts today?! I know I am!

What's the point to be happy anymore, when they just tore the entire community apart?
What about the international Guilds that have been created so far?
I was about to join a US one myself. Which will now not be possible anymore.

Vengus
10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
EU and NA can play together. They are part of the same "garden".

copulat0r
10-24-2013, 12:25 PM
What's the point to be happy anymore, when they just tore the entire community apart?
What about the international Guilds that have been created so far?
I was about to join a US one myself. Which will now not be possible anymore.

I'm assuming the regions won't be locked much like how riot does with LoL

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:26 PM

No they cannot! Only on the combined tournament server! Both NA and EU have their own region server that is completely seperated from eachother, with own economy, accounts, etc.

Madican
10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
Yahoo is trolling me with new messages that aren't my invite into the Alpha.

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:28 PM

"Outside of these tournament servers, each walled garden will be a separate reality. They will each have their own economy, in-game items and accounts. All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers."

US and Europe have their own regional servers and hence, according to Cory's post, are separated!

the_artic_one
10-24-2013, 12:29 PM
No they cannot! Only on the combined tournament server! Both NA and EU have their own region server that is completely seperated from eachother, with own economy, accounts, etc.

Look at the chart, US/EU share an auction house and pve. They have seperate tournament servers for timezone purposes.

Vengus
10-24-2013, 12:31 PM
Don't worry, they can play together.
http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=29086&page=2&p=310658&viewfull=1#post310658

Jeronan
Look at the chart, US/EU share an auction house and pve. They have seperate tournament servers for timezone purposes.

Read my above post.

Cory_Jones

This is correct

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
This is correct

Then what about this in Your article?

"Outside of these tournament servers, each walled garden will be a separate reality. They will each have their own economy, in-game items and accounts. All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers."

US and Europe have their own regional servers and hence, according to Your post, are thus separate realities?

Murmeldjuret
10-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Will support still be 100% through CZE or will we get a separate support feed for server issues with the third party hosters?

Vibraxus
10-24-2013, 12:34 PM

Does this mean a Chuck Norris champion for the US? That would be epic!

ouphie
10-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Calm down a bit Jeronan. Cory just stated EU and NA will be able to play together. The chart shows a shared server setup for us. We have separate tourney servers to account for the wide array of timezones.

ouphie
10-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Does this mean a Chuck Norris champion for the US? That would be epic!

/Scruffy Voice "Seconded"

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Calm down a bit Jeronan. Cory just stated EU and NA will be able to play together. The chart shows a shared server setup for us. We have separate tourney servers to account for the wide array of timezones.

Read my last post! Not according to his own article!

US has his own regional server. EU has his own regional server.
Our accounts are separate (we With Gameforge, which I refuse to create an account With btw) and you With CZE and according to his article Our economies will be separate, Our items will be separate and we will not be able to trade With eachother.

So what's the difference? If the entire economy, items and trade is prohibited between EU and US?
What's the point anymore of international Guilds with above restrictions in Place?

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 12:41 PM
His article, if you actually look at it, has both the US and EU extending from the same shard, not individual shards liek the rest of the world. Our local tournaments are being tailored, but we will share AH and trading. etc. We're not seperated at the regional level, its just goign to give us some coverage so that EU players get drafts to pop on their own schedules, not NA schedules.

Aradon
10-24-2013, 12:43 PM
It looks to me like the tournament servers are separate bubbles from the US/Europe server. In other words, NA players should be able to interact with EU players, but they won't be matched in regional tournaments together; they'd have to go to the global tournament hub to do that.

Kroan
Ah that kinda makes sense. I'm pretty happy with everything said today. Good job CZE, this news article makes me even more excited of the future of Hex. So hyped right now! Wooo-ho!

Vengus
Read my last post! Not according to his own article!

US has his own regional server. EU has his own regional server.
Our accounts are separate (we With Gameforge, which I refuse to create an account With btw) and you With CZE and according to his article Our economies will be separate, Our items will be separate and we will not be able to trade With eachother.

So what's the difference? If the entire economy, items and trade is prohibited between EU and US?
What's the point anymore of international Guilds with above restrictions in Place?
No No No

We are on the same server, but have our own regional tournament servers to make it easier with timezones. Check the image, it says US/Europe in a single garden. Trading is done on the US/Europe server, as is PvE, guilds etc. PvP is done on the regional servers and global tournament server.

Jeronan
His article, if you actually look at it, has both the US and EU extending from the same shard, not individual shards liek the rest of the world. Our local tournaments are being tailored, but we will share AH and trading. etc. We're not seperated at the regional level, its just goign to give us some coverage so that EU players get drafts to pop on their own schedules, not NA schedules.

If this is the case, he then needs to be more Clear in his article.
That would also mean that I will be able to avoid GameForge and be able to create an account With CZE instead and use their account system?
I would like that confirmed please!

Maphalux
10-24-2013, 12:44 PM
You're misunderstanding Jeronan. US and EU are in a single walled garden. They have their own regional tournament servers only so they people can find tournaments appropriate for their time zone. The economy is specific to the walled garden as a whole. US/EU is a single walled garden.

Chiany
10-24-2013, 12:46 PM
I am curious to how this will translate to guild, since I am in a Hex guild with players from all over the world (US, Europe, Australia etc.).

Can we, or can't we play together in Raids for example.

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 12:47 PM
You're misunderstanding Jeronan. US and EU are in a single walled garden. They have their own regional tournament servers only so they people can find tournaments appropriate for their time zone. The economy is specific to the walled garden as a whole. US/EU is a single walled garden.

Then he needs to update the article and clearly say it's per Walled Garden. Now he says per regional Level.
As he wants Europe to be handled by GameForge, while CZE will do US... you get the Picture now as to why I am worried?

Maphalux
10-24-2013, 12:48 PM
The article clearly states that. Where do you think the rest of us got the info from?

bofedy
10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
I am curious to how this will translate to guild, since I am in a Hex guild with players from all over the world (US, Europe, Australia etc.).

Can we, or can't we play together in Raids for example.

You can play but not trade thats what the main mix up is :) but us/eu can trade as well

Jeronan
10-24-2013, 01:04 PM
The article clearly states that. Where do you think the rest of us got the info from?

Our account systems will be seperated. And according to his article he puts a Direct link With economy, items and trading!

Otherwise, why would he even bother With that crap Company Gameforge in the first Place?

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Our account systems will be seperated. And according to his article he puts a Direct link With economy, items and trading!

Otherwise, why would he even bother With that crap Company Gameforge in the first Place?

Servers. Established infrastructure. Publishing rights in the EU. A readily available digital disribution network...

Daer
10-24-2013, 01:07 PM
US/EU are both being handled by Gameforge.

Miwa
10-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Hopefully it doesn't expose CZE to having to comply with any of the goofy eurozone laws on crap some players have talked about here.

I would like CZE to still be able to tell any non-US entity to go pound sand. :P

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 01:12 PM
US/EU are both being handled by Gameforge.

I didnt see anywhere in there that an EU company is covering the US. I saw that localization is an important factor. Something that Gameforge really doesnt have much of here as far as I can tell. I have only ever heard of them being European, which is where Cory stated they serve.

Daer
10-24-2013, 01:15 PM
I didnt see anywhere in there that an EU company is covering the US. I saw that localization is an important factor. Something that Gameforge really doesnt have much of here as far as I can tell. I have only ever heard of them being European, which is where Cory stated they serve.

Gameforge is helping us with the US as well, it made sense to aggregate this work and team

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=29086&p=310626&viewfull=1#post310626

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Then I take that last one back. Here's to hoping the Gameforge US offices being a few hours drive from CZE matters.

Maphalux
10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Seems to me that the accounts are being created with CZE regardless of who the publisher is since people are creating accounts right now with them and those will carry over to release. The question I have is, outside of the obvious answer for China, can people choose what region there account will reside? For example, could someone in Australia choose to be on the US/EU shard instead of Philippines?

Hexgo
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
"[...]Some markets will have different pricing[...]
"[...]All in-game elements are non-transferable between these regional servers.[...]

Sorry,.... what??

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 02:30 PM
If packs are only 10cents on the china shard, they can't get Chinese 10cent packs to the us/eu shard and sell them for 30c.

But they can be freely traded in their respective shards.

ramseytheory
10-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Also, more importantly, no-one in the China shard can see anything that the government feels might pervert its people's fragile, innocent minds. Like skeletons (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/13/china_bars_wow_wotlk_censors/) on card art. I can imagine this would have been a massive pain to code without sharding.

Hexgo
10-24-2013, 02:57 PM
If packs are only 10cents on the china shard, they can't get Chinese 10cent packs to the us/eu shard and sell them for 30c.

But they can be freely traded in their respective shards.

Yes, thanks Gwear. But it was the other kind of "what??", more like "wtf" or "wth".
I'm the kind of "anti-price-discrimination"-guy.
I also despise localisation, especially in a Trading CG.
[...]HEX: Shards of Fate breaks free from the restrictions that come from being shackled to physical trading cards[...]
Oh sorry, digital restrictions incomming.

I'm positive about the new members of the team, really awesome.
But this, sorry, is rather lame. It takes away from the expirience, it doesn't add.

Gameforge, is a whole other issue. I'm also quite negativ about that one.

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 03:08 PM
Luckily for the most part the digital restrictions will likely be forced alternate art cards, and some very niche PVE Heroes. Price descrimination on the other hand could go either way. If it allows a hobby that would be inaccessible to average members of a populous to get involved that's generally good I think. Tricky subject for certain.

ossuary
10-24-2013, 03:29 PM
It's an unfortunate reality of the modern global environment. Until World War 3 forces us to rethink and we form the United Federation of Planets, we're stuck with these warring nations and crappy international trade laws. Sorry. :)

Hexgo
10-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Yes it is a very tricky subject indeed. I see the point of making a product accessable to markets that have different GDP per capita.
But honstly you could do that by lowering the global price.
We always fought for a bigger community, so everyone profits* from it. Now we are quasi split into different communities.

Like that, we don't have a better experience at all, besides the regional match making system.
Or do I get "Helvetia"-card now?
Or epic La Tène equipment?

It is the solution to get the highest income for CZE however, which is a little positiv point. But as a customer i feel compelled to represent the opinion of one.

*And don't mean exclusively in econmical, but cultural ways.

ossuary
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
I do understand what you're saying... but logistically, it's a nightmare. Some of the foreign markets will outright block you, so if you try to just have everyone connect to one server, your revenue (and playerbase) from that market is zero. This way, at least those markets get to play, and the company also gets to benefit from increased revenue (which in turns benefits all of us players, with increased company investment in the game).

Lowering the global price to match the lowest market's GDP would be extremely bad for profitability. And devalue everyone's collection significantly. Bad, economically unsound idea. The US prices for HEX are already considerably better than Magic the Gathering... that's a good thing, and there's no need to push for them to be even lower. We want CZE making a healthy profit, so they can support the game for a good long time.

PopEye
10-24-2013, 03:44 PM
That was quite a post from Cory, i am very excited after reading it, new staff seems awesome i went to Tyler James's site that Cory published and the Art is amazing i highly recommend that you will check it out (http://www.artofty.com/) yourself.
The publishers are very much needed too imo, this is a community based game after all and it need's as much ppl as possible in order to prosper, also ofc the more bigger the community the more our KS accounts will be worth :D.
The community sharding is definitely imperfect but needed for a game this vast i supposed, i understand the necessity of it.

Hexgo
10-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes, might be that it would be very complicated to bring certain countries in the pool.
I have to disagree with devalue of the collection. the collection have the same value by market standerds in relation the the price of boosters. (excluding the kickstarter boosters). for me not really an unsound idea. But of course I want CZE to prosper.

However. My brother lives in KL, I wont be able to play and trade hexcards with him?
Come on, this is ridiculous!

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 04:22 PM
Apparently, you can make an account in his region or he in yours. One of you will lose access to regional tournaments timed around your time zone. I'm not sure where that was said though.

ossuary
10-24-2013, 04:37 PM
As long as your (or his) specific region does not prevent you from accessing servers in the other's region, you could both set up your accounts in the same region, and play together. This is the same as logging on to a European Diablo 3 server even if you live in the US - you play on the foreign servers instead, and interact with the foreign users, and you cannot ever transfer your account no matter how much you complain, to another server. :)

The only people who are really going to be completely locked in their own regions are in countries like China, which have much more restrictive regulations. The US servers will almost certainly be locked from inside China's borders, so you wouldn't even be able to see them.

Shadowelf
10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
Apparently, you can make an account in his region or he in yours. One of you will lose access to regional tournaments timed around your time zone. I'm not sure where that was said though.

Here is it :)

Cory, would something stop Shustro from creating an account in lets say US/EU if he's from Russia?
I don't believe this has been clarified.

nope

ramseytheory
10-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Hold on, if pricing is highly territory-dependent then this could be a serious issue. Why wouldn't you just get people making alt accounts in territories with low prices if doing so would let them play PVP dramatically cheaper?

Hexgo
10-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Thank you all so much to bear with me.
It's just very unsatisfying for me.

That means either he or me can't play with their equivalent time zone, or we cannot trade together.
(Neither of us will have 2 accounts and buy booster etc in both regions. I think thats understandable).

stiii
10-24-2013, 04:47 PM
So what exactly is the point of splitting up the events for EU/US if they are still connected for trading? You could just have events aimed at EU or US time zones but allow people to play in either.

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 04:49 PM
Everything they get wouldn't be available in their home region or their home server. They couldn't acquire or transfer it. I doubt all their friends would play there. Also he would have to get a bank to change his currency into whatever the regions currency was. He might have to figure out a payment method that looks like he is actually there of he wants to draft or anything. Also there's no guarantee that prices will be radically different. That was just an extreme example.

ramseytheory
10-24-2013, 04:53 PM
So what exactly is the point of splitting up the events for EU/US if they are still connected for trading? You could just have events aimed at EU or US time zones but allow people to play in either.

Think about global tournament qualifiers, for example. If you just had one event for the US and one for the EU, with everyone allowed access to both, then people willing to stay up into the early morning would get multiple shots at entering the tournament.

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Aside from time zones separating the eu and us ladder just seems like it would make their independent regional tournament servers much more manageable.

@Hexgo there will be downsides to any deployment strategy. This one has more small cases, like some people being unable to trade together. You can still play together on the global tournament server no matter what. It's basically just the trading that's at issue. On the other hand, if it were done a different way, your friend just may not be allowed to play at all they may ban cards or require an address from unsupported regions. You're saying that you'll have to give up localized tournaments. In the other structure those never existed at all.

stiii
10-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Think about global tournament qualifiers, for example. If you just had one event for the US and one for the EU, with everyone allowed access to both, then people willing to stay up into the early morning would get multiple shots at entering the tournament.

As I understand it EU/US has the ability to trade with each other?

So you can create two accounts one for each and just trade your deck between the two accounts. So you can play in both anyway.

Gwaer
10-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Sure, go for it. As I said, seems like its more ladder management than anything else. It's like climbing in solo queue in multiple regions in league of legends. No one says they should just have one region though.

BigDog
10-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Setting aside the possible negative aspects of the companies that will be managing the servers, i think its a very smart move on cze's part to choose to outsource that part of the game. Managing large scale network infrastructures like those that will hopefully be required by the game is a monumental task and i really like the idea that they didn't try to tackle that with no experience in the field or assume they could just figure it out on their own. I like that they are doing their best to stay true to their core business model of creating/developing games.

Skirovik
10-24-2013, 06:46 PM
As long as being from Australia still lets me pay $2 US for boosters and play on the US servers with my guild (majority are from the U.S. I believe) then I'm fine with that.

Basically, I don't mind the server split issues, as long as I'm given freedom of choice (which seems to be the case) but MORE IMPORTANTLY I don't want to pay the "Australia tax" when it comes to boosters and tournament entry fees etc. :)

Atomzed
10-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Setting aside the possible negative aspects of the companies that will be managing the servers, i think its a very smart move on cze's part to choose to outsource that part of the game. Managing large scale network infrastructures like those that will hopefully be required by the game is a monumental task and i really like the idea that they didn't try to tackle that with no experience in the field or assume they could just figure it out on their own. I like that they are doing their best to stay true to their core business model of creating/developing games.

Fully agree. This is another corporate decision which gives me confidence about CZE and their vision. It's very, very difficult to manage servers, especially big servers across different countries. So to find partners to do it with them shows sensible decision making.

I'm not sure whether gamer forge and level up! are the best partners, but I'm sure that cze is more likely to fail going it alone.

And if players have a choice, then they can always choose to set up accounts on the US Europe servers, if they don't mind playing the qualifiers at odd local timing.

Stok3d
10-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Crytozoic made some big power plays to hit the ground running as power player. I am now confidant that we will be able to handle the MILLIONS of F2P ppl worldwide. Teaming with experience on the hardware is vital.

I also just checked out the Tyler James - Website (http://www.artofty.com/). Impressive stuff. I'd like to post some of my favorite artwork here, but I believe I'd have to close my own post if I did ^ ^.

Alan Comer (http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/HallOfFame.aspx?x=mtgevent/hofplayer/acomer) has an amazing background with programming AND is an old school god in the TCG realm. It's a huge plus to add him to the the Hex Brain Trust. After meeting all the current programmers at Cryztozoic and reading Alan's background, be prepared to be amazed on content WITH the capability of surpassing deadlines.

Yep, it's pretty evident the key players upto at Crytozoic are setting themselves (and us as backers & gamers) up for a brilliant future. Yeah, this was a VERY positive read. Thanks Cory for sharing this info with us.

BigDog
10-24-2013, 07:45 PM
After meeting all the current programmers at Cryztozoic and reading Alan's background, be prepared to be amazed on content WITH the capability of surpassing deadlines.

The deadlines point i disagree with. If you establish a deadline, and you are 100% sure you can beat it....you keep the original deadline and devote the extra time to more quality control or you add additional features BEYOND what was promised AND THEN you use the extra time to quality control. Other than that, i am very excited to have a mind like Alan Comer added to the team working on this and i believe that his influence will be much farther reaching than grinding out the 1's and 0's behind a computer monitor. A great coup for cze.

jdizzle
10-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Congrats to everybody who got in!

How are the servers holding up so far with this wave? Don't think I've seen nearly as many complaints as I did during the first wave, which if true is a very good sign.

Massabik
10-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Slightly off topic, but where are the article links on the main site, there aren't showing up for me.

havocattack
10-24-2013, 11:28 PM
http://hextcg.com/hex-goes-worldwide/
http://hextcg.com/big-news-for-hex/

madar
10-25-2013, 03:25 AM
MORE IMPORTANTLY I don't want to pay the "Australia tax" when it comes to boosters and tournament entry fees etc. :)

Yea let's hope the 2USD will not shapeshift into 2EUR+tax

Youdontknowme
10-25-2013, 10:13 AM
Yea let's hope the 2USD will not shapeshift into 2EUR+tax

Do you really think Cryptozoic is going to pay the tax for you?

stiii
10-25-2013, 10:52 AM

They could just include it in the price

ossuary
10-25-2013, 11:03 AM
... this just in, regional laws apply to regions.

Khendral
10-25-2013, 12:30 PM

That would really be "Fans First", wouldn't it? ^_^

What us europeans are concerned about (at least I am) is not the VAT (that is unavoidable, I guess), but I would not like the booster pack double-dipping by being 2EUR + VAT instead of 2USD + VAT.

stiii
10-25-2013, 02:16 PM
... this just in, regional laws apply to regions.

I'm not aware of the law that says $2 = 2E

If we are talking about how things are different in different regions, in Europe prices include tax. If something costs 2E it costs 2E including tax.

ossuary
10-25-2013, 03:15 PM
I'm not aware of the law that says $2 = 2E

If we are talking about how things are different in different regions, in Europe prices include tax. If something costs 2E it costs 2E including tax.

That's standard cost display practices, not law. The law doesn't say "you must post the final cost including tax on your sign for people who can't do the math."

And I never said anything about the whole 2 USD = 2 Euro thing, I was referring purely to tax, as in, yes, if your region requires tax, then tax will be required. Because tax would be required. ;)

Skirovik
10-25-2013, 03:22 PM
I wasn't talking about an actual tax. I was talking about how in Australia we tend to get stuck paying inflated prices. Sometimes we pay upwards of double the U.S. price. I'm pretty confident the others concerned about regional pricing are talking about the same thing, ossuary.

ossuary
10-25-2013, 03:34 PM
And in Canada we pay 30% more for anything even vaguely technological vs. the US. We also have free healthcare, which in my mind is a better deal. The world is a wonderful and mysterious place. :)

Tinuvas
10-25-2013, 04:12 PM
And in Canada we pay 30% more for anything even vaguely technological vs. the US. We also have free healthcare, which in my mind is a better deal. The world is a wonderful and mysterious place. :)

And that is one reason I am still an American. Let me find my own healthcare thank you very much. I wholeheartedly agree with that last sentence!

stiii
10-25-2013, 04:15 PM
That's standard cost display practices, not law. The law doesn't say "you must post the final cost including tax on your sign for people who can't do the math."

And I never said anything about the whole 2 USD = 2 Euro thing, I was referring purely to tax, as in, yes, if your region requires tax, then tax will be required. Because tax would be required. ;)

I mean the person I was replying to did.

Skirovik
10-25-2013, 04:26 PM
And that is one reason I am still an American. Let me find my own healthcare thank you very much.

Lol, free does not mean limited in choice.

Gwaer
10-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Lol, free does not mean limited in choice.I know that and you know that. In America at large however the story is that free healthcare means month long waits if you have a heart attack and that there is only a single hospital in your region everyone has to go to and all kinds of nonsense.

stiii
10-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Lol, free does not mean limited in choice.

He is happy to pay more for the ability to pick between them. I mean I have no clue why that is a good thing but he does have that choice.

stiii
10-25-2013, 04:34 PM
I know that and you know that. In America at large however the story is that free healthcare means month long waits if you have a heart attack and that there is only a single hospital in your region everyone has to go to and all kinds of nonsense.

Sounds like you don't spend enough on your free healthcare. This is like having on fire station per state then complaining that the fire station doesn't do its job well enough and everyone should have private fire insurance.

Gwaer
10-25-2013, 04:36 PM
We don't have free healthcare. That's just horror story nonsense that people repeat as why america is better off without free healthcare.

keroko
10-25-2013, 04:45 PM
there will be a single payer national health care system in the united states; merely a matter of time.

its coming, the end of Rome! cats and dogs living together and the poor in uprising! Ohhh, my stars! the vandals are coming!

(we'll survive)

Yoss
10-25-2013, 04:59 PM
there will be a single payer national health care system in the united states; merely a matter of time.

its coming, the end of Rome! cats and dogs living together and the poor in uprising! Ohhh, my stars! the vandals are coming!

(we'll survive)

I refuse to admit that socialistic oligarchy/dictatorship will eventually be what the USA devolves to, yet I fear that's where we are (or are at least headed). (Are we even allowed to talk politics in here?)

EDIT:
It would seem that there's no restriction on religious or political discussion as long as it's civil.

keroko
10-25-2013, 05:02 PM
seems like a good way to get us all mad at each other for off topic stuff huh yoss?

(but its fun sometimes if we can be adults and respect differing viewpoints)

prolly off-topicable.

double-edit! - horray

ossuary
10-25-2013, 07:52 PM
I was born in America. Actually, I was born in Irvine, California. :p

I moved to Canada about 13 years ago because the ways things were going politically were terrifying and depressing... and because my Canadian girlfriend was tired of people thinking she didn't exist. ;)

Once you get used to having French on the backs of all the grocery labels, and the green light flashing when you can turn left instead of just having an arrow, it's pretty much just the US... with exponentially better healthcare, air quality, and general attitude. ;)

This forum really needs spoiler tags...
http://i.eatliver.com/2012/9956.jpg

Ebynfel
10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Oooh, American politics. I'll not add anything. Not because I'm American, but because I see no good coming of this line of debate on these forums.

Banquetto
10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Oooh, American politics. I'll not add anything. Not because I'm American, but because I see no good coming of this line of debate on these forums.

Agreed, best to just chuckle amongst ourselves and let them carry on wasting triple the amount the rest of the world spends on healthcare, for no improvement in quality of care, but rather just to inflate the profits of their big corporations.

ramseytheory
10-26-2013, 07:02 PM
I refuse to admit that socialistic oligarchy/dictatorship will eventually be what the USA devolves to, yet I fear that's where we are (or are at least headed). (Are we even allowed to talk politics in here?)

EDIT:
It would seem that there's no restriction on religious or political discussion as long as it's civil.

We have free healthcare in the UK. It's incredibly, overwhelmingly popular with the general population. It's less a socialistic oligarchy/dictatorship and more a way of stopping people from dying of easily treatable diseases. It's also substantially cheaper per capita than the US system, since emergency medical treatment for someone dying of an easily treatable disease costs the taxpayer a hell of a lot more than a GP visit and some pills. And if you don't want to use the free system, you're completely free to use the private system instead - there are no disincentives besides the obvious financial one.

In my entire life, I have never met a single person who looks at the US system with anything other than utter horror.

keroko
10-26-2013, 07:17 PM
We've made profit center of disease and unhealth over here, and medical care is thought of as a privilege rather than a right.

Meanwhile a lot would tell you you're being 'typical entitled gen blah' should you suggest otherwise.

More fascinating than the illusion we've cast over our collective selves is our willingness to accept this state of being and prop up a corporate nightmare where politicians are bought and sold through citizens United and super PACs.

The biggest thing the foes of the Affordable health care act have to complain about is a website.

That and greed of employers dropping folk to 29h work weeks to avoid contributing to healthcare. They blame that on government while pooting about in their 100k teslas..

Yes it's a disgrace. And it's not merely financial... An NHS brings a level of standardization and opportunity to doctors. Over here your family doctor may have not talked to another for 30 years, and works out of some office Park.

Our CDC likely has insufficient means or central control to affect a national epidemiological response to zombie flu, or the real avian kind. They'd be screwed.

Zomnivore
10-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Agreed, best to just chuckle amongst ourselves and let them carry on wasting triple the amount the rest of the world spends on healthcare, for no improvement in quality of care, but rather just to inflate the profits of their big corporations.

Oye, as much as you may laugh at us being trapped by big government/crony capitalism...there are real people being screwed and killed by this inefficient system.

Much as you might want to laugh at people under-educated saying merk'a's number one health care in the world... thats because of our rather sad state of education and how hard it is to get a decent one with blooming tuition.

That and our corporatist media and their clever use of apologist language to make everything co friendly.

Not that you can't laugh, just doesn't make a good statement.

This political system is rather depressing and its a shame there's not much we can do until money stops equaling speech.

ossuary
10-26-2013, 08:02 PM
You could escape like I did. ;)

Although, to be honest, if they don't kick that bastard Harper out of office soon, Canada might end up nearly as bad off. He's the most American politician I've ever seen outside of America. :)

Zomnivore
10-26-2013, 09:39 PM
You could escape like I did. ;)

Although, to be honest, if they don't kick that bastard Harper out of office soon, Canada might end up nearly as bad off. He's the most American politician I've ever seen outside of America. :)

Just thought I'd chime in with the guilt trip :) Seeing as I can't really justify how bad our system is.

No clue how this progressed into a political speel but I'm game for rambunctious internet arguments most of the time :)

Xenavire
10-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Frankly, I think the US is having a (minor) negative impact on parts of the world in terms of healthcare. New Zealand, when I was last there, was flip-flopping on a large number of issues to do with free healthcare, and if memory serves, several proceedures that had once been free, if not life threatening (even though it would improve a persons quality of life) had been removed from the list of free/insured proceedures. If things continue that way, private insurance companies will quickly become popular, tipping the balance and becoming a carbon copy of the US healthcare system.

But it isn't the only country with issues, so it isn't an attack on the US. Just a pattern I have noticed. I would gladly have higher tax in exchange for free healthcare, and quality healthcare. But the US is probably a lot harder to regulate due to the sheer number of people, the states having different local laws, etc.

I do think it would improve the US greatly if they could manage it though.