PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeship (from Cory's message)

FenMiHuo
10-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I think this is a really awesome thing, I wish I could participate but I, as I'm sure other people, cannot quit my job and move to California even if I think it would be awesome to learn some real game development.

Too bad it would probably be difficult to teach people remotely >_>

Either way, this is still a great idea (unpaid internships are the worst) and I hope a lot of people gain from it.

Zomnivore
10-24-2013, 08:53 PM
It is a fascinating prospect and if you any ambition to join a game company...it seems like a good time to get in while the get'ns good :)

I don't have any experience programming, but it certainly seems tempting to post an application...

Madican
10-24-2013, 08:55 PM
If it involves programming I know I've got no chance. Wonder if Cory could elaborate on what sort of skillset they'd be looking for.

Zomnivore
10-24-2013, 09:01 PM
If it involves programming I know I've got no chance. Wonder if Cory could elaborate on what sort of skillset they'd be looking for.

There's a basic outline of what they're looking for. A skilled player or someone who can analyze cards to some degree.

"The first skill we’re checking is “can you fill in a data field and follow instructions?” We’ll send you a design test and hopefully that’ll be the first step to your new career. Good luck!"

Data entry, sorts of things.

It is an entry level sort of thing from the looks of it :) Sure programming knowledge would be a valuable skill.

Shaqattaq
10-24-2013, 09:15 PM
If someone is coming from a QA or programming background and knows how to script, then that's great. That's definitely a skillset that will come in handy. But that's not a pre-requisite for this. We're looking for people who may enjoy designing systems (like maybe a tabletop RPG), designing cards, can fine-tune the numbers on cards, and can wrap up a bunch of pieces into a dungeon experience. All those I just listed are far more important, though a candidate not need to have all of those skills or interests.

Madican
10-24-2013, 09:32 PM
So very, very tempted to apply. Would be a three and a half hour commute for me though if I took the Metrolink.

Ebynfel
10-24-2013, 10:18 PM
I...may apply. We will see. I could use a change of location....

benczi
10-25-2013, 12:21 AM
i posted a few questions in the article thread, but somehow got lost with all the walling questions.

who is it really for? (Is it mostly for people who are just starting their careers or not necessarily?
What do you mean by designers and developers? MTG has two teams named design and development, but they work only with the creation of new cards, and not with the program or the art in the cards.
To expand further on the previous question I'm a software engineer, with a few years of experience, but I have never worked with games, is this program for me?
I have a friend who is an artist, if she would like to try with this apprentice program, could she do her work online (from home)? or at least until you make a decision? (edit: a bit of clarification, we live in Europe, so moving would be quite a challenge.)

elsimer
10-26-2013, 06:18 AM
I'm in the same sort of situation, I have a fair amount of programming experience but none in the gaming industry. It'd be nice to know what kind of wage range apprentices could expect. The joke used to be it took a six figure salary to rent a card board box in some parts of California.

keroko
10-26-2013, 06:20 AM
i turned down a six figure job in VA in prep for an apprentice position at CZE which might pay 20% (I do have a backup plan or two).

Shadowelf
10-26-2013, 06:24 AM
To those interested; wouldn't it be better to contact them directly with your questions?

If you’re interested, you can send in your resume to Jobs@Cryptozoic.com. You must fill in the email subject line with “HEX Apprentice” when you send it to us. The first skill we’re checking is “can you fill in a data field and follow instructions?” We’ll send you a design test and hopefully that’ll be the first step to your new career. Good luck!

http://hextcg.com/big-news-for-hex/

elsimer
10-26-2013, 06:29 AM
i turned down a six figure job in VA in prep for an apprentice position at CZE which might pay 20% (I do have a backup plan or two).

That would seem to imply close to minimum wage, and if that's what they are looking for I'm good with that. My point is that that kind of wage would let people in similar positions know that the apprentice program is more like a well paid intern or customer support type job. Speaking for myself, that would prohibit me from considering it - wife and kids to feed.

whtknight
10-26-2013, 10:24 AM
I would pack up and leave tomorrow for the opportunity, however, sadly, my field of study is Anthropology (with a focus in the Digital). I don't believe I would have many assets that could contribute to this program, and my greater interest is in the online community and the interaction of players and developers. I would sleep in a tent for the chance to experience the inner workings of this atmosphere while also attaching myself to a company that is so dedicated to its users.

Bailin
10-28-2013, 05:31 AM
I would pack up and leave tomorrow for the opportunity, however, sadly, my field of study is Anthropology (with a focus in the Digital).

Anthropology is a fantastic field for Game Designers whtknight. There are a lot of very surprising fields that really help out actually;
Architecture, Engineering, Economics, Photography, Cinematography, History, Music, Mathematics and definitely any human studies are all really amazing talents to have among many others. There are so many aspects to designing a game, a team with talents covering all this would be a huge benefit.

With Anthropology you would be great at studying how your game meets and satisfies the needs of its players. Anthropologists typically use a lot of empathy in their studies and practices, and being able to know/feel what your players do is a major boon.

Definitely don't let your field hold you back here, it's quite the asset in this case. My application is in, and I wish I had something like that to impress with.

mudkip
10-28-2013, 05:50 AM
I would pack up and leave tomorrow for the opportunity, however, sadly, my field of study is Anthropology (with a focus in the Digital). I don't believe I would have many assets that could contribute to this program, and my greater interest is in the online community and the interaction of players and developers. I would sleep in a tent for the chance to experience the inner workings of this atmosphere while also attaching myself to a company that is so dedicated to its users.
If you can turn your personal strengths into strengths for Hex and CZE, then I'm sure they would consider you.

keroko
10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
our Shaq says:

I'll also be sending out Apprentice Program tests today, so keep those applications coming!

do it!

Madican
10-28-2013, 11:39 PM
For better or for worse I sent in my application. There's family members who may be willing to let me stay with them briefly to get close enough that commuting won't be an issue.

keroko
10-29-2013, 07:23 AM
one done, a harder one for me to do today. the first took 5 hours straight.

I can only say that all of the challenges one will face at the outset are fair, and they are well thought out.

-- on another note, they're getting better at realizing that we're not always just up for the linear stuff from mid-last century --

http://youtu.be/pK2zYHWDZKo

Cory_Jones
10-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey! I should have chimed into this earlier with some answers :)

But here you go
- This is a game design program, sadly I am not sure we are set up for training in any of the other fields we cover, I will say on the art side we hire 100s of people (professional artists) as freelancers and always need more.
- The skillset for game designer, this is pretty wide open, clearly a deep understanding of games (if you want to design games you should be soaking up the available resources online to educate yourself)
- The program pays 12US per hour, its an hourly position, this is a 3 month contract and is closer to an paid internship, as we vet the candidate for a permanent position in R&D (which offers salary in the “game designer” range)
-

Side note: I have noticed a few engineers on this thread; we are still looking for qualified engineers, please feel free to reach out to us (put Engineer in the email header)

Shadowelf
10-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Now you are it Cory, for how long is this program going to be offered ?

Cory_Jones
10-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Now you are it Cory, for how long is this program going to be offered ?

Its ongoing, we are always looking for super talent, that said it will depend on where the team is at in terms of size and content we need to create

David_Rose
10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Are the initial tests done being sent out? I didn't get mine yet :(

Ebynfel
10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
The pay rate isn't too bad, and the opportunity is great. However, in looking in the area, are there places to live nearby that don't cost in the 1300 per month range? Also, is there public transportation available there?

Madican
10-29-2013, 12:10 PM
The pay rate isn't too bad, and the opportunity is great. However, in looking in the area, are there places to live nearby that don't cost in the 1300 per month range? Also, is there public transportation available there?

No to the first and yes to the second in the form of the Metrolink.

Ebynfel
10-29-2013, 12:47 PM
I will say on the art side we hire 100s of people (professional artists) as freelancers and always need more.

Cory, I have a question here too. I dabble(but not enough) in digital art. How would an aspiring artist, like myself or others in the community, go about getting consideration from CZE?

Also, in that vein, what type of art does CZE like to see in portfolios of the artists you look to hire? What would be the best things I and others like me, could paint to be noticed. I know very little about the field in general, just that many freelance on a commission basis. I am more wondering here at:
What does it take, what does CZE look for in potential artists?

FenMiHuo
10-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Hey! I should have chimed into this earlier with some answers :)

But here you go
- This is a game design program, sadly I am not sure we are set up for training in any of the other fields we cover, I will say on the art side we hire 100s of people (professional artists) as freelancers and always need more.
- The skillset for game designer, this is pretty wide open, clearly a deep understanding of games (if you want to design games you should be soaking up the available resources online to educate yourself)
- The program pays 12US per hour, its an hourly position, this is a 3 month contract and is closer to an paid internship, as we vet the candidate for a permanent position in R&D (which offers salary in the “game designer” range)
-

Side note: I have noticed a few engineers on this thread; we are still looking for qualified engineers, please feel free to reach out to us (put Engineer in the email header)

Wish i'd seen this before submitting mine, needed to put Engineer in the header

keroko
10-29-2013, 07:10 PM
part 2... question 2 of 6 and 6 hours in. feels like this:

http://youtu.be/dxJvKMayTZw

GL on the engineering spots - even with, especially with outsourced infrastructure to GF / LevelUp!, likely others in the future they'll need quality folk capable of interfacing with the contractors for arch, eng and ops. They'll be super fun positions.

(I could have put engineer, but even if that's what I ended up doing and the apprentice program was my 2nd app - I'll do anything required - i feel it best to enter in this manner. a LOT to be learned. --- keroko the crappy one man band)

EDIT - 0215-0500UTC, 70% way through q 3 of 6 in second part of exam... I can't finish this tonight. back at it in the morning. tomorrow, tomorrow you red headed orphans. well today, in a few hours. head swimming, gnite hex people.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/trixymcnasty/items/_13crowns1__by__coey_-11_zps4f779454.jpg
(DA - Coey)

keroko
10-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Back up for final push - 0750-0500UTC,

I owe you lot an explanation for jamming up a thread with my quasi-buddhist BS half explained and apparent fandom of JP cartoons.

For being cryptic, for projecting thought upon you, I apologize to you.

There's a danger for a mind when one adopts any role or function for a period of time, where one engages to the point where the small scope and the self become central to thought even if the ego is simply an anchor for thought expression.

it is functional egocentricity, intended or not. It is character flaw in motion in our head.

I learned from my bordercollies that if you want to you can shake off a mood or a looped basis of thought with a shake of the head and a bit of fresh air. We die and are reborn every morning.

At any rate, I cannot wait to talk to more of you about gaming, about our game, about what we can and might do with it.

Just look at our community already with Extra Life.
How our folks are working for that is noble. it is to be celebrated.

For me, I'd like to share as much of this experience for apping to this apprentice program as I can. Guys, I'm very well aware I might faceplant.

But if I cannot learn from failures or even derision then I really have put on a mask, and refuse to take it off in pride or denial.

So - What's a guy with no game school degree fing about apping for this? what makes him think he's qualified?

It should be me, I wish it could be me, if could be me 'if i did xyz'. There is always 'xyz' and there is cost for any action. I am aware of responsibilities external to self, and we must be in our lives.

As I set back to this exam this morning, head groggy and hand reaching for some tylenol for my sore damned back (CZE I hope you have nice chairs for your folk if they are expected to sit all day)

I wish I could write my answers here, so you could help me improve, so you might get to tear me a new hole, so you might fail me, whatever.

I tell you now - you may well be qualified for this, you may well be exactly what CZE is looking for and you don't know it.

Self doubt to the point of interfering with our actions will scorch you throughout this human life. You might only have one, it might only last 150 years. we're going to be here for a while, it may be good to pursue things that bring us happiness?

you might consider yourself unformed mud, not fully shaped, not fully ready. If you are in this place then muster the confidence to set aside a few days of your time and apply! The process itself is your next CZE lesson, and summoning the confidence to send over the resume is its beginning.

Everyone is a teacher, and we've been educating each other in our ways for many months now on this forums site.

The gaming industry is nascent; barely opened its eyes in the grand scale of literature that it is, tool that it has been and potential it must explore.

we need to be building schools - many are already.

I seek to catalyze their progress, and to find an ability to locate talent and pluck it from the world for participation in our great futures.

I am deeply thankful for the existence of this program - and implore you to apply if that is the way you would like to go.

our world is change, and you simply must ride it.

http://youtu.be/k4ONmPcpNZQ

Vengus
10-30-2013, 05:29 AM
-Mental breakdown-
Are you alright? What could this test possibly be that scarred Keroko for life?

keroko
10-30-2013, 05:33 AM
^ alls good - this is super fun.

Ty for checking on me. Just thought I should explain myself a bit.

currently eating toast.

FenMiHuo
10-30-2013, 06:20 AM
yea I didnt read the wall of babbel(ing) but I thought the test was fun, you just have to design some cards and explain how you think tcgs work, its just takes time to think of the cards

Vengus
10-30-2013, 06:39 AM
yea I didnt read the wall of babbel(ing) but I thought the test was fun, you just have to design some cards and explain how you think tcgs work, its just takes time to think of the cards
Interesting, I wonder if it is possible to take that test just for fun, without the job thing. :p

Slish
10-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Interesting, I wonder if it is possible to take that test just for fun, without the job thing. :p

I agree :D
Would this be possible? ^^

FenMiHuo
10-30-2013, 07:47 AM

I dunno if they'd want us sharing it (though its not like its got any sensitive info in it) Id feel kind of like cheating on a test :P but if someone gives the ok one of us could give you the word files

keroko
10-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Whomever made the tests spent a good deal of time doing them. It would be unkind to expose what is to be privately sent to an applicant, and might cause undue work in test update for the creator.

The test content will likely be updated and cycled with time and based on what CZE might be seeking at the time of issue. However, it is not ours to prompt work through exposure of this information.

Having said this - once finished I'll put mine to an open google doc of the tests and my answers for the community's review and critique. If, and ONLY IF given express permission by CZE to do so.

keroko
10-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Done! 1st test: ~4200 words, 2nd test: ~6300 words. response within 60 hours of receipt.

I'm going swimming and not thinking about sapphires for the next two hours.

Inner turmoils:

http://youtu.be/qV4wqyzVwco