PDA

View Full Version : Pass Priority Issue (How to "deter" from occuring)

Silveras
10-26-2013, 12:54 AM
Greetings Hexxers!

I recently joined the Alpha and have been plagued by the dreaded pass priority issue. While I have complete faith Cryptozoic is working as hard as they can to give us and working product, these kind of issues are sure to happen with an alpha of this kind of magnitude.

With that said, I have found a way to SIGNIFICANTLY lower the chance of a pass priority issue occurring.

The answer is: Patience!

Basically whenever you are playing a match act as if there is a 1-2 second delay(ergo: wait 1-2 seconds) before hitting any buttons such as "pass priority" or selecting any units for summoning or to initiate an attack. Especially at the beginning of your turn or when completing the pass priority options for the other player to end theirs. This gives the servers time to catch up and proceed with the game.

So button smashing as as soon as you see the shiny button on the screen=BAD!

While this is not a "cure all" for this current temporary issue, this will give a much higher chance of finishing a game.

Gwaer
10-26-2013, 12:57 AM
We did a test on this earlier because we thought this might be the case, both of us were just spamming the space bar as fast as possible, the game actually seemed to work better... We gave up many turns in, and the next turn when we were playing normally was when it hang.

elsimer
10-26-2013, 01:07 AM
yeah, earlier when my wife and I were playing it seemed to help to wait a few seconds and only hit it once and not at the same time. Later, the bug popped up on our first and second turns regardless. Seems the best answer is to remove all stops and reduce the opportunity for the bug to rear its ugly head. Like some other famous computer game said, the only way to win is not to play :-P

hammer
10-26-2013, 04:28 AM
I am sure this is coincidental but I have never seen a priority hang when there are only ruby diamond and blood cards in both decks. My hangs are always when on or more player is on sapphire or wild and decks running the ancestral chosen seem more susceptible even when it isn't played. Most of my crashes are because one or both players has ancestral chosen or pack raptor in their deck and the crashes can happen even if they are not in hand or play. Maybe just chance due to small sample size....

Mahes
10-26-2013, 06:50 AM
It hangs up when there is an action that occurs when a card comes into play on the AI's side. At least this is what I have noticed. Also, the clock stops running on the AI's side. It eventually and suddenly will go 00.00 time. I will try the whole, not spamming the pass priority trick though as I am OCD and want the game to move along...

Vengus
10-26-2013, 06:59 AM
I tried both spamming and going through the priority really slowly and didn't notice much of a difference. It seems to be totally random. Sometimes the game just doesn't manage to resolve a card and then it's game over.

Shadowelf
10-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Have tried everything so far; from not using spacebar to only using spacebar, going fast or slow, the issue persists..haven't noticed a pattern; it just occurs, the game fails to pass priority at some random point..

incitfulmonk21
10-26-2013, 08:14 AM
I am sure this is coincidental but I have never seen a priority hang when there are only ruby diamond and blood cards in both decks. My hangs are always when on or more player is on sapphire or wild and decks running the ancestral chosen seem more susceptible even when it isn't played. Most of my crashes are because one or both players has ancestral chosen or pack raptor in their deck and the crashes can happen even if they are not in hand or play. Maybe just chance due to small sample size....

Sadly, I play a Blood/Diamond control deck and always get the pass priority bug at some point. So probably just something random.

Priest
10-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I played a couple of games late last night when most of the crowd was gone and played 3 games without a problem going to turn 10+ and having multiple triggers go off at the same time without a hitch. It was really fun, not gonna lie! Maybe it has something to do with server load?

mudkip
10-26-2013, 09:42 AM
It looks like it's just a perspective thing. The faster you get through the turns the faster you will run in to the priority bug.

I'm not even trying to play the Alpha until this is fixed. I had a go today against the AI (first attempt after the new patch) and it was the longest game I have had so far: 6 turns!

hammer
10-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Sadly, I play a Blood/Diamond control deck and always get the pass priority bug at some point. So probably just something random.

But do you lose priority only when your opponent has pack raptor or ancestral chosen in their deck?

hex_colin
10-26-2013, 10:09 AM
It looks like it's just a perspective thing. The faster you get through the turns the faster you will run in to the priority bug.

I'm not even trying to play the Alpha until this is fixed. I had a go today against the AI (first attempt after the new patch) and it was the longest game I have had so far: 6 turns!

It's worth playing/testing. I finished 20+ games last night in the span of a few hours. Of course, I also had the game hang on at least as many. Such is the life of an Alpha tester...

Rxauin
10-26-2013, 11:28 AM
So, I stopped having this issue after I stopped 'looking' at cards. If you zoom in a card, for any reason (to activate an ability or such) the risk of this happening seems to go up. Most cards can be activated by double clicking, so I get through a lot of games now without this happening.

Silveras
10-26-2013, 12:32 PM
So, I stopped having this issue after I stopped 'looking' at cards.for any reason (to activate an ability or such) the risk of this happening seems to go up.

I had a similar issue opening the chat box during a game when the pass priority option was available. It is a very fickle system when it decides to lock up. Mostly the issue occurs with me when ending a combat cycle or using a champ power.

taron
10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
It feels like a server load issue to be honest.

Yesterday during two seperate times ~8 hours apart, games were running very smoothly, completing 20+ turn games with mass creature death / creation / spectres / mashing space and waiting patiently. These were both times that had very few people in the play lobby, whether that was because everyone was happily in a game, I don't know, but it could also be times of lower load, server doesn't have to process as many card actions at once and gives it a chance to breathe.

Food for thought.

Aradon
10-27-2013, 02:32 PM
I played against the AI quite a bit today, testing gems. The AI would predictably hang whenever it would play something that puts a trigger on the stack and then take some other action, such as playing a troop or using a charge power before letting that trigger go on the stack.
Example 1: Polonius has Howling Brave out, plays another Howling Brave, activates first Brave for resources before/while the second Howling Brave's ability goes on the stack.
Example 2: Kranos plays Shadowgrove Witch, then activates his charge power to draw a card before the Witch's ability goes on the stack.
Example 3: Kranos plays Shadowgrove Witch and then Midnight Banshee before Witch's ability goes on the stack.
Example 4: Feather Drifting Downriver plays Wizard of the Silver Talon and uses his charge power to give him flying before the trigger goes on the stack.

The game will bug reliably each time this scenario occurs. I haven't played against other players much yet. What I suspect from this is that the problem lies in the 'Pass Priority' and 'Continue' buttons. Sometimes when something resolves, you'll get the 'Continue' bar to show up to advance to the next turn phase. However, occasionally, it flashes 'Pass Priority' first. I think the Pass Priority button is being hit, but with nothing to respond to, the other player gets no prompt. Since the button's been hit, no 'Continue' option is displayed, halting the game.

What I've found is that you can sometimes get out of the problem by casting instants or activating abilities, but you don't always have mana/access to those, unfortunately. A temporary fix would be to play something like secret lab and always leave a mana open in case the game hangs. It's a bit burdensome, though.

eSquared
10-27-2013, 04:16 PM
I have yet to finish a game in my last twenty or so, against AI or players. I get it's alpha, fine, but this seems like it should be priority #1 (heh) to fix. It sounds as if this issue has a lot of triggers, so it might be really hard to fix, but this issue is devastating. It's remarkable that people have waited months to be able to play Hex and then decide, "No thanks, I'll pass on that frustration."