PDA

View Full Version : Request: re-enable illegal deck size

funktion
10-26-2013, 12:28 PM
Any chance we could get illegal deck sizes turned back on? It made it easy to test stuff against the AI for bug confirmation. Even if it is only enabled vs ai.

Showsni
10-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Seconded... made it much easier to test things like whether a redrawn Wild Growth actually decreased in cost.

taron
10-28-2013, 02:14 AM
I'd just like to add to this one, makes it so easy for testing specific things.

Very easy to reproduce a problem with a 10 card deck lol.

Xenavire
10-28-2013, 04:17 AM
Devils advocate here, but what if bugs arise because of an illegal deck size? It would complicate trying to pinpoint unusual behaviour.

On the other hand, a menu toggle for the duration of alpha would be handy. Turn it on and off, simply for finding bugs.

mudkip
10-28-2013, 06:01 AM
Devils advocate here, but what if bugs arise because of an illegal deck size? It would complicate trying to pinpoint unusual behaviour.

Then they should fix that bug too. The deck size limit should just be some variable, if it breaks from that changing then the issue will likely cause other issues down the line.

Crimvel
10-28-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm not in the Alpha but it sounds like a good idea!

Xenavire
10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Then they should fix that bug too. The deck size limit should just be some variable, if it breaks from that changing then the issue will likely cause other issues down the line.

My point was prioritising the bugs. Why create/uncover new ones when they have things far more important to deal with at this moment? Sure, in the near future it is something that they should and would look into, but they need to focus on stability first, correct?

Hence the whole devils advocate thing. I could have put a little more meat into explaining it, so I apologise if there is any confusion. But that isn't to say I don't support the idea.

HyenaNipples
10-29-2013, 06:22 AM
It sounds like it would depend on how useful illegal decks are as a tool for bug finding.

"Don't get the shovel because that would detract time from digging this hole."

funktion
10-29-2013, 10:22 AM
It sounds like it would depend on how useful illegal decks are as a tool for bug finding.

"Don't get the shovel because that would detract time from digging this hole."

It was pretty darn useful. As xen mentioned though if it was causing bugs in it's own right then it is good they took it out (though they should put it back in eventually for the same reasons mudkip mentioned)

I say though if it helps discover unrelated existing bugs then by all means have at it.

SomeoneRandom
10-30-2013, 12:04 PM
I think this is okay to do, but I would suggest being careful about it. It is a good way to reproduce a bug to verify that you found an issue, but in general its bad to "test a card" by using this method. You won't get the card in a greater context and will miss a lot of things. I found a few bugs that I only found because in a context of a game I needed to use it in a weird way, while in a small deck like that you are really testing just one use case.

funktion
10-30-2013, 12:17 PM
I think this is okay to do, but I would suggest being careful about it. It is a good way to reproduce a bug to verify that you found an issue, but in general its bad to "test a card" by using this method. You won't get the card in a greater context and will miss a lot of things. I found a few bugs that I only found because in a context of a game I needed to use it in a weird way, while in a small deck like that you are really testing just one use case.

Aye I was only ever using it to see if I could verify stuff quickly.

Showsni
11-04-2013, 09:20 PM
Another thing: with no lower deck limit, we could use draft simulators to run a draft, then build the decks in game to play them out. Draft decks being 40 cards, of course. If we're limited to 60, it's a lot harder to run a fun draft.

SomeoneRandom
11-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Another thing: with no lower deck limit, we could use draft simulators to run a draft, then build the decks in game to play them out. Draft decks being 40 cards, of course. If we're limited to 60, it's a lot harder to run a fun draft.

True, but if you can only play against bots it loses the fun for me :D On the plus side based on the posts we have seen we might have the draft client soon!