PDA

View Full Version : general impressions from alpha so far

calisk
10-27-2013, 07:03 PM
so here is my opinion of what I've played so far.

deck building -

pretty good though it's very easy to forget to set your champion. some things like socketing were a bit unintuitive especially the threshold representation on the cards.

I haven't seen the full list of planned cards for set 1, but I do hope some more gems are planned for the minor slot, and some more major slots are released( was trying to find a red major socket for the major gems but none exist ).

the filters reload after every change, I'd honest prefer an apply filter button because the reloading of cards after every click really slows things down.

game play -

an action cancel button is desperately needed. I'm not sure if their is one but if so I couldn't find it, but any time I would accidentally click on a card I would already be committed to that action, with no way to undo even if I hadn't selected targets or revealed my action to the opponent yet.

changing from main phase 1 to combat phase is too easy to mess up, a confirm at this point would also be nice, more then once I would play a card and thing I was passing priority before playing my second card, when I would actually be moving to combat.

finding games - getting challenged takes priority over making a challenge, and the menu's look very similar, on occasion I'd challenge an opponent, and while selecting a deck would get challenged right as I was about to click accept, and end up in a game against a different opponent using the wrong deck.

currently players use LFG in chat to say they are looking for players, an open ended challenge would be useful where any player could click to accept your challenge. The icon would take the place of the challenge button next to your name. and you'd set it up much like you set a challenge to an individual user.

anyway that's all I got for now, loving the game so far.

jgsugden
10-27-2013, 08:01 PM
I'd like the UI to include an easy way to see card text without having a popup that needs to be clicked to close - something like holding the alt key and mousing over a card causes a magnified version of it to appear. This would mean holding one key and mousing around would let you see multiple cards one at a time...

theBaba
10-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Right click both zooms and un-zooms the cards... I've found that much more convenient than clicking the un-zoom button

Freebird_Falcon
10-28-2013, 12:35 AM
also would like to see when using "find opponent" and there is an incoming challenge, that it just auto accepts or changes to "accept challenge from x?" instead of being two overlays

Kardh
10-28-2013, 05:48 AM
I think you can usually cancel casting a card by hitting "Esc" to get the concede popup and then hitting "No" to that question. Clunky indeed, but at least you can get out of casting it if you haven't chosen targets.

Vengus
10-28-2013, 07:04 AM
I think you can usually cancel casting a card by hitting "Esc" to get the concede popup and then hitting "No" to that question. Clunky indeed, but at least you can get out of casting it if you haven't chosen targets.
This no longer works since the last patch.

MatWith1T
10-28-2013, 08:18 AM
This no longer works since the last patch.

Does pressing backspace still work? That was an option too I believe @ launch.

EntropyBall
10-28-2013, 08:56 AM
The deck editor badly needs a place where it displays a blown up version of the card you are selecting or mousing over. The right click pop up that is currently used blocks your view of everything and prevents you from interacting with the deck editor until you close the pop up. Here's an example of another card game that uses what I'm talking about in its deck builder:

I'm sure the Hex deck editor is still a work in progress, but I really hope they improve the usability. Right now it seems like its inefficient in a few ways so that they can make concessions to tablet users, and I'm worried that the PC deck editor will be crippled because of tablet compatibility.
The game in the screenshot above, OCTGN, has quite a powerful and easy to use deck editor with a very responsive filter system.

EntropyBall
10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Another thing the deck editor lacks is a way to add more of a card that is already in your deck. If you've built a deck and decide you want 1 more of something, you shouldn't have to undo all your filters and search back for that card to add another copy.