PDA

View Full Version : How does the Stack work in HEX exactly?

FLOWDANGO
10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
I was playing a game yesterday where the Elf card that pumps up creatures when wild resources are played to +2/+2 permanent and the ability triggered onto a red creature.

I saw it on the stack on the side of the screen and in response I used a kill card that triggered before that ability should have been applied but when the creature died the +2/+2 still triggered and the creature was buffed.

Did I do something wrong? Am I not right in my stacking priorities?

Please explain if you can, thanks! :)

SomeoneRandom
10-30-2013, 09:08 AM
I am almost positive that this is currently a bug, and it happens with a lot of effects right now. However, since we don't have the official rules it technically possible that they changed this core concept. I highly doubt it though.

hammer
10-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Agreed- currently you can play troops in response to actions not sure this is intended.

Erebus
10-30-2013, 10:00 AM
Which card did you kill? The Wild Root Dancer or the target troop? If it was the Wild Root Dancer, then this is consistent with magic rules in which an effect is independent of the source said effect. But I have seen inconsistency among this regardless. Such as bounce in response to permanent changes.

FLOWDANGO
10-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Which card did you kill? The Wild Root Dancer or the target troop? If it was the Wild Root Dancer, then this is consistent with magic rules in which an effect is independent of the source said effect. But I have seen inconsistency among this regardless. Such as bounce in response to permanent changes.

I killed the Wild Root Dancer, the target troop was a 4/4 and I was only able to do 2 damage with Burn. So are we thinking it is a bug? I would think so because I would think the rules of "In Repsonse To This" I can do this and it will change what is happening.

Sorry about not knowing names right away, still trying to learn the cards :P

SomeoneRandom
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
If you were killing the Wild Root Dancer than this is the intended effect. Once something is on the stack if at least one of the targets is legal the effect will still go through. If you wanted to stop the pump from Wild Root Dancer you had to kill it before your opponents main phase.

malloc31
10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I would think you could also prevent it by killing the root dancer in response to the resource being played. But I am not sure if playing a resource even goes onto the stack since it isn't a "cast spell".

Jonesy
10-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Nope, once the effect is triggered it doesn't matter what happens to the source of the effect. This is standard for every card game i've ever played. Now if you killed the target before the effect triggers then it would (well, should) fizzle.

copulat0r
10-30-2013, 01:30 PM
I would think you could also prevent it by killing the root dancer in response to the resource being played. But I am not sure if playing a resource even goes onto the stack since it isn't a "cast spell".

currently, resources do not add a link to the chain. so you cannot respond to them being placed. i assume this will be standard from now going forth since there are so many times we have to pass priority already.

Aradon
10-30-2013, 01:32 PM
In Magic, playing a land (Hex's resource cards) is a special action: you need priority to do it, but it doesn't use the stack. It goes straight into play.

Then, the triggered ability from Wild Root Dancer goes on the stack. At this point, there's no way to stop the trigger from resolving, short of killing all of its targets. Killing the Root Dancer won't remove the Root Dancer's trigger once it's been placed on the stack. Killing the target that gets +2/+2 will prevent the trigger from having an effect.

FLOWDANGO
10-30-2013, 02:15 PM
In Magic, playing a land (Hex's resource cards) is a special action: you need priority to do it, but it doesn't use the stack. It goes straight into play.

Then, the triggered ability from Wild Root Dancer goes on the stack. At this point, there's no way to stop the trigger from resolving, short of killing all of its targets. Killing the Root Dancer won't remove the Root Dancer's trigger once it's been placed on the stack. Killing the target that gets +2/+2 will prevent the trigger from having an effect.

Oh ok, so if this is how it will be handled I should have if able kill the intended target and not the Dancer. But because it was a 4/4 and I had a 2 damage Burn I was kinda out of luck anyway.

I should have killed it before his turn.

Prism
10-31-2013, 12:48 AM
The stack in hex:

- Cast a spell

- Game ends with no priority