PDA

View Full Version : bug or feature? targeted spell still works if target leaves battlefield

madcap
10-30-2013, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or not, please clarify if this is intended or a bug:

I have Protectorate Defender on the battlefield. Opponent plays Polymorph Dingler targeting my Defender. While that is still on the stack I activate the Defender's oneshot ability and return him to my hand. He returns to my hand. Then when Dingler resolves he is turned into a Dingler in my hand.

I expected that it would work like in MTG where if a card has no more targets it gets countered. Is it intended that Hex doesn't work this way or is it a bug?

Ebynfel
10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Id assume that this is a bug. Without the rules that are supposed to be coming this week ,I couldnt be entirely sure....but in my opinion a troop that is no longer in play shouldnt be chased by removal into a hand.

hammer
10-30-2013, 11:01 PM
I played a socketed Eldritch. My opponet later played inner conflict, whilst on the stack I responded with yesterday. Eldritch returned to my hand with no indication it was cursed by conflict. I was surprised when I replayed him on my following turn that the inner conflict had resolved and he wasn't able to attack.

MatWith1T
10-31-2013, 11:46 AM
I played a socketed Eldritch. My opponet later played inner conflict, whilst on the stack I responded with yesterday. Eldritch returned to my hand with no indication it was cursed by conflict. I was surprised when I replayed him on my following turn that the inner conflict had resolved and he wasn't able to attack.

You got bug double-whammied. Spells in the stack aren't resolving in a correct order (again, as stated elsewhere, we don't know the official rules, but that seems like it is a bug) AND Inner Conflict isn't displaying the Can't Attack/Block text anymore as of one of the last 2 patches.

Oaka23
10-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Similarly, I had an opponent activate Protectorate Defender's one-shot ability to put him back into his hand, and I murdered it in response. It hit the graveyard then returned to his hand anyway. I don't think it's an issue of the stack resolving in an incorrect order, but that effects resolve even if the affected card leaves play. In the OPs case, if he'd moused over the dingler effect on the stack after protectorate returned, the little targeting arc would've pointed to it in his hand.

g11d
10-31-2013, 07:17 PM
@Oaka23 - I had the same thing happen, exactly, one shot to his hand, respond with a murder, defender goes to the grave, then up to his hand. I think what is happening is that there isn't a check for in play status, the ability on the stack is returning that card to your hand regardless if its in play or not.

There is an interesting argument to be had about this situation, rules/rulings pending. The idea that this would actually be a feature changes this game from something akin to Magic, to something more akin to Pokemon. To get ahead of any hate, I love and have played both those games for many years, both have their merits and problems. But Hex has a Stack, and that has implications. If I am able to put something onto the stack and it will resolve as intended regardless of responses to my action, why have a stack at all. I don't know what the rules will say, but I would hope that LIFO (Last In, First Out) is the reason for having the stack.

Just Thoughts.