PDA

View Full Version : The Blood Major -1/-1 gem stands out as underpowered

Ashran
10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
First off, I just want to express my praise for the new gem system overall. I think the gems as a whole are very well balanced and add an impressive amount of depth and customizability to the game. I especially like the balance mechanism of half the gems requiring a dual Threshold.

That said, the Blood Major 'Troops in combat with this troop have -1/-1' stands out as a sore thumb for being significantly underpowered compared to all other gems and especially in comparison to the other dual-Threshold Minors. It is significantly less useful than the comparable Diamond Minor +1/+1 gem, and that's only single Threshold. It pails in comparison to Spellshield and Flight.

I don't know how best to fix it, but if you wanted to stick with the general theme, you could change it to 'Troops in combat with this troop receive permanent -1/-1'. I think that would bring it into a similar realm of usefulness to the other double Threshold Minors, if for no other reason than being a perfect Xentoth's Inquisitor counter. It would also look good on socketed high DEF troops to act as a wall that wears down attackers.

Lawlschool
10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Does it apply the debuff before combat damage? Seems like it'd be a good counter to X/1 troops in aggro decks if so.

Xenavire
10-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Reminds me of bushido as it is. Plenty powerful too, if it works the way we would assume (removing any one defence troop before combat.)

And how about getting an edge on trades? Double block, and you can force things to die faster or even fail to trade with something you need to keep.

Being permanent would make it the best gem in my eyes.

Rhodry
10-31-2013, 10:18 AM
The reason it could be strong is one can't easily use multiblock to defend against you since all blocking creature get the -1/-1
Not sure if it suddenly makes it interesting enough to be a major but it adds value.

And of course you have to consider the army of 5/1 swiftstrike that would kill you in a normal block but can't afford to block you because when block starts they die. (useful against rage)

So under-powered? maybe, still useful? Definitely!

Maphalux
10-31-2013, 11:51 AM
That gem is minor, not major.

Eierdotter
10-31-2013, 02:10 PM
the maor gem is the discard one.

in my opinion the -1/-1 gem is not bad at all, it opens a lot more tradeability, opponent can not block with 1 defense troops at all and trades with stronger troops even...

so it looks bad, but in actual gameplay situations it is not bad at all.

HellsingDS
10-31-2013, 08:10 PM
I want to see it when combined with zombie plague, atrophy, witch and what not... then maybe a few burn spells to use before combat resolves. In those cases I'd consider it worthy of a major slot ;p

Blargrag
11-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Isn't it just a beafed up version of MtG's flanking? If my very hazy memory serves that was a really obnoxious keyword to play against. It doesn't seem underpowered at all to me.

SomeoneRandom
11-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Isn't it just a beafed up version of MtG's flanking? If my very hazy memory serves that was a really obnoxious keyword to play against. It doesn't seem underpowered at all to me.

Yup, it is flanking, but it allows you to use it on Defense as well when flanking was only on attacking. This gem is actually really strong, but on paper doesn't look that impressive. I expect to see this gem a lot in limited where trading for value is very important.

Xenavire
11-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Yup, it is flanking, but it allows you to use it on Defense as well when flanking was only on attacking. This gem is actually really strong, but on paper doesn't look that impressive. I expect to see this gem a lot in limited where trading for value is very important.

Constructed too. I will likely be putting a full set of these on something interesting, and using it to put pressure on.

HellsingDS
11-04-2013, 05:26 AM
Its funny some people consider it underpowered when white only gets +1/+1 :p

Grim Skull Sorcerer is already a great early card with the +1/+1 but with the -1/-1 it'll be obscene... certainly going to play it that way since I used to love using Festering Goblins (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=370358&type=card) in MTG.

Eierdotter
11-04-2013, 09:28 AM
did someone check if a troop with this socket can be chump blocked with a X/1 troop as intended.

for example i know it works, to assign a blocker and sacrifice the blocking troop before the damage is assigned, to buff a other troop or whatever. the blocked troop is still blocked and deals its damage to nowhere.

but in the -1/-1 scenario is the troop dead before recognized by the system as a blocker, probably the troop should be sacrificeable in response to dying to the gem too.

SomeoneRandom
11-04-2013, 02:44 PM
did someone check if a troop with this socket can be chump blocked with a X/1 troop as intended.

for example i know it works, to assign a blocker and sacrifice the blocking troop before the damage is assigned, to buff a other troop or whatever. the blocked troop is still blocked and deals its damage to nowhere.

but in the -1/-1 scenario is the troop dead before recognized by the system as a blocker, probably the troop should be sacrificeable in response to dying to the gem too.

Again assuming we are using Magic the Gathering what should happen is:

You attack with gemmed troop, it becomes blocked, Gem trigger goes on the stack at which point both players should have to pass priority for the trigger to happen. If it dies the troop should still remain "blocked" and resolve no combat damage.

This should give you time to sacrifice the troop or play an action to pump it up.

Ashran
11-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Its funny some people consider it underpowered when white only gets +1/+1 :p

OK, so there do seem to be some strong opinions in favor of the -1/-1 gem. As I see it, here are the Pros:

Kills 1 Defense creatures outright, including otherwise hard-to-kill creatures like Block of Seagulls and Lixil. Xentoth's Inquisitor, Blaze Elemental and Savage Raider are well-countered by this gem and are commonly seen in play. Rampaging Tarasque, too, if people choose to play it.

Multiple troops with the -1/-1 gem can block a single troop to further reduce its Attack and Defense.

To me, this only elevates it to the position of OK, and still seems underpowered compared to Spellshield, Flight and can't-be-blocked-by-one. In most circumstances where I need a combat boost rather than an ability I would rather just have Diamond's +1/+1 to hit my opponent harder or prevent the gemmed troop from being Burned, etc. Blood's -1/-1 gem seems comparatively conditional, requiring specific things like combat with low-Defense troops to really shine.