PDA

View Full Version : PVE is Awesome! Death to the Vennen hordes!

hex_colin
10-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Since Will alluded to it in his Alpha update earlier this evening...

I got a chance to play against one of the PVE dungeons (Vennen themed) tonight. Not sure how much I'm allowed to divulge but it was definitely the most fun I've had playing any game in a long time! Also... Matt (the AI substitute) stiffed me on my loot! ;)

I had to create my deck from the equivalent of 25 booster packs, i.e. the minimum card pool available to most backers. That was a fun challenge... Don't think I'd gone the Wild/Sapphire route before tonight.

In PVP news - drafting Set 2 is pretty challenging when you're seeing a bunch of the cards for the first time... ;) A couple of pretty unique new keywords too.

Gwaer
10-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Ugh! I should have picked this week to fly in for game night! =(

havocattack
10-31-2013, 12:36 AM
So jelly :D

havocattack
10-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Are you allowed to divulge how many dungeons they have got up and running so far? :)

GhundiPI
10-31-2013, 12:47 AM
It is good to hear that the PvE side is also living up to its expectations! Personally I'm looking forward to the PvE side as much as PvP and suspect that PvE will become the main draw of Hex for most people. Thank you for the update Colin.

And hopefully Set 2 will be done by the time Hex releases, that should make for another great treat.

Ebynfel
10-31-2013, 12:51 AM

I got a chance to play against one of the PVE dungeons (Vennen themed) tonight. Not sure how much I'm allowed to divulge but it was definitely the most fun I've had playing any game in a long time! Also... Matt (the AI substitute) stiffed me on my loot! ;)

I had to create my deck from the equivalent of 25 booster packs, i.e. the minimum card pool available to most backers. That was a fun challenge... Don't think I'd gone the Wild/Sapphire route before tonight.

In PVP news - drafting Set 2 is pretty challenging when you're seeing a bunch of the cards for the first time... ;) A couple of pretty unique new keywords too.

Dammit Colin! We love you, but this is worse than Cory's teaser! XD

Anyways, were you legit playing the dungeons on the client with a GM?

funktion
10-31-2013, 12:57 AM
Oh man... can't wait. Want to draft so badly.

hammer
10-31-2013, 01:11 AM
Colin thanks for the teaser - though in reality you just added to my desire to get the dungeon crawler and raid leader perks :o

Chiany
10-31-2013, 01:25 AM
Awesome to hear this Colin, not that I expected anything less!!

Shadowelf
10-31-2013, 01:43 AM
Argg more news, more excitement, more impatience..

Thanks for sharing Colin :)

Andreij
10-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Thx for this insight Colin. Can't wait for the PVE! :)

shocker455
10-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Nice 2 hear that the drafting system is all ready done and working. Can't wait to draft hex!

hexinggems
10-31-2013, 04:04 AM
Such a tease! Thanks for the sharing though, I can't wait to get my hands on pve!

keroko
10-31-2013, 04:21 AM
Great news to hear!

Hope they keep the ability to have live staff ai interdict / replace in live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_DJ1xdFKso&feature=youtube_gdata_player

always an element that makes people feel good - eq had live event servers for a time, couldn't make it fly. They'd tried to do more expensive sub to fund.

Light touch visitation the key.

Pls kill all the spiders Colin; not natural that they should talk (been terrified by all of them since the old hobbit cartoon).

Never talk to the spiders.

Stok3d
10-31-2013, 04:28 AM
You're killing me here Colin!!! /jealous

Gwaer
10-31-2013, 04:28 AM
Playing a monster and jumping people in EQ was a blast.

Banquetto
10-31-2013, 04:34 AM
Personally I'm looking forward to the PvE side as much as PvP and suspect that PvE will become the main draw of Hex for most people. Thank you for the update Colin.

It's the main draw for me! I'm sure the PvP will be thoroughly excellent but having PvE as well is the "unique selling point" of Hex, for me!

havocattack
10-31-2013, 04:53 AM
Unfortunately, it isn't clear or not if he did the draft in the game itself, he could have joined them in their paper version draft (they have posted a photo of this on twitter not long ago)

If he did do it in-game then that is sweeeet and hopefully means we can test it in alpha soon :D

ossuary
10-31-2013, 04:59 AM
I would expect it to be a paper draft. That's how R&D has been doing their set testing so far, and I doubt the backend client is at the point yet where they can quickly and easily dump new cards and mechanics into the game engine (since all the set 1 cards still aren't working in client at this point).

Shadowelf
10-31-2013, 06:21 AM
Drafts will be in Alpha later on; it has been confirmed here ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUWPaB5bScU check 0:24:47

havocattack
10-31-2013, 06:34 AM
Yeh, I figured they will be adding it at some point, they have to test it thoroughly afterall ;)

Soldack
10-31-2013, 06:36 AM
You know you must follow the rules of all internet forums...

Post pictures or we won't believe it happened....

;)

WhiteBubbles7
10-31-2013, 08:02 AM
The jealousy is ripping me apart! ugh! thanks for sharing Colin.

Vorpal
10-31-2013, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the update, colin.

I must admit I'm really, really, REALLY looking forward to the pve. I've played a couple physical TCGs where each player has a deck and the must work together against an AI threat, but it's new for the digital CCG space, especially where there is also the potential of PVP. Plus it sounds like the dungeons in hex are just going to be a lot more themed, awesome, and rule breaking than you can really do in a physical game (where the players have to run the AI deck they are fighting against so it can't get too crazy or complicated).

Now..besides 25 booster packs...shouldn't every backer get a couple starters? Or does this mean starters somehow wouldn't be allowed into the dungeons?

Or is this just a special dungeon where you basically have to beat it with a drafted deck? ( I could see that being a cool one off mechanic).

ossuary
10-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Probably the starters aren't built in yet. Once we get to open beta (or whenever we get our rewards), then yes, all backers would have their starter decks as well as a minimum of 25 boosters.

Dralon
10-31-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your adventures Colin! :) Keep 'em coming.

Rycajo
10-31-2013, 10:07 AM
I concur with the jealousy. Though I'm happy to hear it went well!

hex_colin
10-31-2013, 11:00 AM
FAQ: All paper last night - PVE and draft (Set 2 isn't scripted yet and lots of the card designs are still being tweaked).

Nevertheless, I was literally and figuratively on the edge of my seat during most of the PVE encounters. I thought the tuning was awesome - lots of suspense about the outcome in all of the fights. It's still deck vs. deck, but there were lots of cool mechanics that made it very different from PVP. And the talent system is really fun - you definitely feel stronger from fight to fight as the dungeon progresses.

hex_colin
10-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Now..besides 25 booster packs...shouldn't every backer get a couple starters? Or does this mean starters somehow wouldn't be allowed into the dungeons?

It was just an approximation of the card pool available - not exact. Mostly so that I couldn't just create some very highly tuned (and expensive) deck and make the content easier than it would be for F2P or low level KS backers.

hex_colin
10-31-2013, 11:08 AM
You know you must follow the rules of all internet forums...

Post pictures or we won't believe it happened....

;)

I'd planned to. And then I got so caught up in playing that 3 hours had passed in an instant and I was celebrating/giving the CZE folks my feedback. Next time! :)

Also, without a snazzy UI to keep track of everything, it occasionally looked a bit chaotic - there's a LOT going on when compared to a regular PVP match.

Vorpal
10-31-2013, 11:09 AM
I actually think the idea of a dungeon you have to beat by creating a workable deck from XX # of packs is a really cool idea, so I'm not unduly dismayed if that winds up being the case, instead of just a rough approximation of what more casual players would have for a cardbase.

You could go the hearthstone route and have the cards be 'borrowed' so they wouldn't have to shell out $$ for real packs. I would also give an option to let people bring their own packs and keep the ones they open, if they should so desire.

hex_colin
10-31-2013, 11:11 AM
It's the main draw for me! I'm sure the PvP will be thoroughly excellent but having PvE as well is the "unique selling point" of Hex, for me!

I backed thinking "I'm going to play PVP pretty seriously, PVE could be cool". By DragonCon, I was talking to Gwaer and was pretty excited about PVE. Now I'm still going to PVP a lot, but I'm probably more excited about PVE, especially for the first 3-6 months where everything will be new and the strats won't be widely known.

keroko
10-31-2013, 11:25 AM
PvE where it at my friend, and v exciting with a system such as ours - as you know much better than most :)

(well that and sealed for pvp)

Vorpal
10-31-2013, 11:35 AM
I've got my wife really excited about teaming up to go through the pve content :)

We and our friends all really enjoy this game, for example: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=129&esem=1

I imagine hex can be like that but so much more, with an actual AI running the encounter deck and allowed to do complicated things, break the rules, etc.

Can't wait!

keroko
10-31-2013, 11:37 AM
full clears bitches, no skipping trash - that's where the epics are, on the mob you didn't kill.

there's some kind of points accumulation system in dungeons for doing it too which affects rarity of final loot the main pages say.

http://youtu.be/iE9XEIY4aRk

Gwaer
10-31-2013, 11:39 AM
All in all I'd say that I am more excited about PVE than PVP. PVE will bring the masses, it sets hex apart from any other tcg, and it seems like it will be incredibly fun. PVP on the other hand is what will pay the bills to enable PVE to stick around, and it will capture the long term dedicated players, and the very competitive ones. It's such a good relationship. I'm excited to participate in both.

Ertzi
10-31-2013, 12:13 PM
I am certainly going to participate in PvP, as I love drafting, but the PvE was the sole selling point for me, and I am salivating at the mere thought of finally being able to frolic in the PvE wonderland of HEX and discovering everything at my own leisurely pace, upgrading my decks as I go. Without PvE, this would just be another digital card game - even if it would be the best of its kind - and I would not be very interested. But add dungeons, story, cards leveling up, equipment, races, classes and all that RPG stuff and ooooh boy am I excited. I am thrilled to hear the PvE seems to be as good as I hoped.

It is safe to say that I have never anticipated a game's launch this much in my life. There will be no social life for a while...

keroko
10-31-2013, 12:38 PM
There will be no social life for a while...

Incorrect sir, there will be a social life for you in Hex.

The distinction between the digital and physical in life in general is finally blurring. Faster pls imo.

The barriers to interactivity are also being destroyed at a pace that's invigorating.

Shadowelf
10-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the update, colin.

Or is this just a special dungeon where you basically have to beat it with a drafted deck? ( I could see that being a cool one off mechanic).

Starters will definately be allowed in dungeons; pve will scale with starters and by playing, unlocking stuff and adding cards via beating dungeons/raids and opening boosters, will make your deck better to face your next pve challenge

I actually think the idea of a dungeon you have to beat by creating a workable deck from XX # of packs is a really cool idea, so I'm not unduly dismayed if that winds up being the case, instead of just a rough approximation of what more casual players would have for a cardbase.

There will be such a dungeon, the Arena, where you will have to draft your way through

http://www.thehexvault.com/blog/2013/09/02/dragoncon-2013-hextcg-pve-design-panel/ check 0:12:48

Ertzi
10-31-2013, 03:15 PM
Incorrect sir, there will be a social life for you in Hex.

Ah, well played, sir. Didn't even think about it that way. It is true that HEX seems to have a community that is above what I have encountered with most games. There seems to be more intelligent conversation on the forum and less mindless screeching. This only increases the allure for me. Let's face it, most people in a generic MMO are like ADHD squirrels on acid. Looking forward to interact with y'all fine folk in game as well ^_^

keroko
10-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Heh, Gimme dem nuts!

havocattack
10-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Who touched my nuts?!

Ertzi
10-31-2013, 08:45 PM
You're nuts.

mudkip
10-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Someone gag Colin! He's not helping our craves.

Shadowelf
11-01-2013, 03:56 AM
Someone gag Colin! He's not helping our craves.

Yeap despite his awesomeness Colin definately doesn't help waiting out the Alpha :)