PDA

View Full Version : HEX + castAR = I need new pants

jetah
11-01-2013, 06:25 AM
So there's this KS project castAR (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system) that allows you to interact with the virtual world using Leap Motion or a wand.

CZE--I--NEED this.. (as i'm backing at the Pro Package level)

The ability to manipulate the cards with the wand/LM would be fantastic (at home, I don't see how this would work at a hobby shop but I could be wrong).

Mahes
11-01-2013, 06:34 AM
Ok Harry.

Hemotherapy
11-01-2013, 06:51 AM
Slow down...Lets work on getting to the beta firs, and then launch, and then establishing it as an e-sport, and if castAR is still a thing, then lets take a look at adding it to hex!

XagoTrunk
11-01-2013, 10:15 AM
You just cant beat a keyboard+mouse though

Tinuvas
11-01-2013, 11:07 AM
You just cant beat a keyboard+mouse though

For games designed for keyboard/mouse, I agree. But tablets have already proven that you don't need a mouse, and for software designed around a reflective surface/wand combo, eliminating keyboard and mouse would be pretty easy.

The possibilities for wargaming, cards, etc. etc. etc. is quite incredible. I'm not sure it will take off as an option at the price point they are looking at (Take Warhammer 40k and add $300 or so for the AR/VR system...for just one game), but that's been a VR problem forever. I really hope it does take off though. It would truly be awesome to sit across a virtual table playing Hex with your friends thousands of miles away with full game ambiance in a 3D environment.

I do agree with Hemotherapy though. Let's make development for this platform a tertiary priority if at all ever.

Hemotherapy
11-01-2013, 11:56 AM
The applications for it seem more for tabletop of course, like you said warhammer 40k, I mean just think about it, no more painting yourself and needing to keep up with all your units (the painting is a hobby for some I understand some will be bummed about it) but then you could digitally paint them yourself.

Of course the otherside of the coin is to give people just 1 version of a painted unit and use micro transactions for differnet avatars/paint for them.

The ability to play anywhere, make your own terrain, etc, would be very cool.

I feel castAR would be a good idea for card games, but a GREAT idea for tabletop games like warhammer.

jetah
11-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Yes, I'd like CZE to at least consider what could be done and maybe add some type of native support to the HEX client. I'm just waiting for castAR to ditch the wand and give us gloves.

Zomnivore
11-02-2013, 01:45 AM
I don't see enough value over a 2-tablet set up.

Tablets are things people already own, and have an established market.

jetah
11-02-2013, 08:07 AM
well the castAR uses a PC to run. So this would be something I could use at home.

Again I'm not expecting it for launch but sometime down the road it would be nice to have.