PDA

View Full Version : What would you first pick? #4

Aradon
11-04-2013, 01:08 PM
This is the first pack of your booster draft. Ignoring the monetary value of the cards, which card would you pick for your draft deck?

Show Pack (http://www.elftown.com/stuff/Draft%20pack%204.gif)
Vine Trap
Rigid Buffalo
Reversion
Mazat Ranger
Time Ripple
Feral Ogre
Ruby Aura
Repel
Shards of Fate
Soothing Breeze
Shadowgrove Witch
Flock of Seagulls
Veteran Gladiator
Heat Wave
Incantation of Fear

LLCoolDave
11-04-2013, 02:28 PM
This one is a lot tougher. I have absolutely no idea how good Incantation of Fear is going to be in draft. I expect it to be too unreliable, especially if drawn later on, but it could be quite powerful. Heat Wave is very interesting and there's enough low toughness creatures running around to make it worthwhile. Time Ripple is no Unsummon, 3 mana is probably too much to make it a strong tempo play in limited, but time will tell. All of the creatures are very reasonable, but none strike me as very exciting. And Shards of Fate is one of the few color fixers in the set, we'll see how important they turn out to be.

I think I'd pick up the Heat Wave here, but I'm not at all convinced it is necessarily the best option. Getting it early definitely helps in slightly tailoring your draft with it in mind, at least.

HyenaNipples
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
I'd go for Heat Wave as well.

mudkip
11-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Heat Wave. It could be a nice removal (a bit situational) and Ruby isn't a bad shard to draft.

FeelNFine
11-04-2013, 05:52 PM
For pick 1-1 it's a hard choice between Gladiator, Incantation of Fear, and Repel for me.

The Nightmare from Incantation of fear is tempting, talk about a bomb, 6/4, base cost of 3 if it gets returned to your hand, at the start of your turn you get to look at the top card of yours and your opponents deck and can bury them if you don't like it. Considering that in a draft your opponent has mostly one of's and two of's in their deck, you get to shut them out completely of something you don't like, or just let them draw a recourse for the millionth time.

As LLCool said though, it's questionable how reliable you could get that Nightmare out. Thankfully, bodies entering the graveyard can be from any where, so making them discard creatures from their hand, or their deck work just as well, unfortunately, it doesn't count your own graveyard. Ideally you want this out on turn two and just let it naturally become more menacing, making your opponent think carefully on every combat trade. Drawing it late game though it's going to be a bust unless you are running blue black or black red, but it's upsides are worth taking it in most circumstances, howerver it has good competition.

As I said in #2, I really like repel, it's good removal and it splashes easily.

I really really want to love the gladiator, the having to attack each turn is a downside, but I think it will still work in a lot of decks, aggro likes getting damage through, and if control can keep your opponent down to one creature, your team is unblockable. Since orcs are black and red, they get the best of both worlds

Personally I would still take repel, but only if this was my first pack.

wutae
11-05-2013, 03:41 AM
I think i would go for Repel or Flock of Seagulls. Permanently negating one creature of your choise is not bad at all.

purple-one
11-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Feral Ogre get 2 wild is not very hard and an 3/2 crush can beat very vast. Also you give a couple of good cards away so more change that you get good wild cards.

WhiteBubbles7
11-05-2013, 05:44 AM
I would roll for Heat wave. It is a decent removal that can take our most cards.

Wodahs
11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Incantation of fear is the only potential bomb, and in limited it seems too unreliable. Plenty of removal with repel seagull heat wave time ripple and ruby aura as a nice combat trick. Seagull is great but the two threshold implies a shard commitment. Heat wave is splashable and huge swing/card advantage sometimes. The ogre and gladiator represent evasion, and are both good creatures,but none are exciting 1st pick in general. The ranger is a decent card, but expensive for a 1 toughness body, and while I rate socketed cards highly in theorydrafting right now, he's at the bottom of that gem list. The shard of fate is the darkhorse candidate...no matter what happens it is almost always going to end up in your deck, so it's the safe boring pick. For me, Heatwave is too good to pass though.

Wodahs
11-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Add. question : what would you expect to cycle in this pack? I see ~10 playable cards, so the pack is deep enough to think about that when you 1st pick.

kodra
11-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Soothing breeze, reversion, rigid buffalo, shadowgrove witch, ruby aura, feral ogre, mazat ranger

Damascus
11-05-2013, 05:56 PM
heat wave imo

jtatta
11-09-2013, 12:39 AM
I feel like Heat Wave is a pretty easy first pick here. It's very easy to build your deck around and can absolutely blow your opponent out. Looking at the pack it's also very likely that you can wheel the Time Ripple and set up some sort of Sapphire/Ruby control deck. If that's not your cup of tea, the Ogre might wheel and you can go Ruby/Wild. Whichever way you go, Heat Wave is easily the best card in the pack. It's very easy to get a 3 for 1 with it which turns games in your favor very quickly.

Shadowelf
11-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Heat wave would have been my choice too for reasons previously mentioned, although if pack #3 was my first pack (and since i have already chosen genesis hydra), i would most probably have picked the ogre (not that heat wave wouldn't still be a good choice )

jgsugden
11-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Heat Wave, Repel, Mazat Ranger (gems are very flexible), Flock of Seagulls, Incantation of Fear (Nightmare is a strong card - cards go to the graveyard often in limited), Feral Ogre, Rigid Buffalo, Time Ripple, Veteran Gladiator, Shards of Fate, Vine Trap, Ruby Aura, Shadowgrove Witch, Reversion, Soothing Breeze

mudkip
11-23-2013, 07:57 PM
Aradon can we have another one of these?

Aradon
11-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Sure. I'm going to give it some time, though, since the Hextcgbrowser is a bit out of date with images. Not sure if there are plans to correct them in any soon time frame or not. In the next few days, I'll probably post one regardless and just give text versions if any cards have discrepancies.

Entityofsin
11-27-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm a novice draft player. So I don't really know what I'm doing.. XD

Heat Wave, Veteran Gladiator, and Ruby Aura are all really tough choices to decide from. I honestly am pretty bias towards Ruby decks and all three of those Ruby cards are amazing. But I also like some of the stuff from other colors too, particularly Quick Actions that buff Troops or can do damage.

The thing I'd have to consider is do I want other players in my draft pool to get Veteran Gladiator? Could I work around Heat Wave or Ruby Aura? If this was the first pack I had to look at for the draft, I'd have to say that the choice is kind of hard. I might not see any of these cards from the packs passed to me and Veteran Gladiator has one really nice effect.

For this particular pack I'd have to pick Heat Wave cause a lot of 1-3 drop Troops have 2 or less Toughness.

Chances of Ruby Aura showing up in a later pack is decent but Veteran Gladiator can be played around a lot easier in a Ruby mirror match with cards like Burn, Ruby Lance, Heat Wave, Ruby Aura, and Ragefire. Also, Suppression Fire is also another card that can be taken if seen when available since it's a cheap mana and threshold card.

Jugan
12-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Heat wave.

Tempura
12-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Repel, Heatwave or Incantation of Fear

Lepel
12-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Repel, gladiator or heatwave