PDA

View Full Version : Installer of Updater 'This has been created with a free version of...'

DarkShoal
11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Did a quick search and saw that this hasn't been mentioned before but the current installer of the updater is just... a little unprofessional.

By a little I mean, I honestly don't want a screen saying 'This has been created with the Freeware version of...' to appear after installing something, especially when it goes on to state that if it's messed up my PC it's not their problem, even though they're advertising here.

That really irks me and reminds me of the worst freeware games I've ever had the displeasure of being anywhere near. Suffice to say my expectations for the final game have dropped significantly. (And if I hadn't invested in it I'd probably have uninstalled it based on that alone). Little things like this might not seem important but it makes the entire application seem amateurish and unprofessional. It should not be the first thing that users see of your game, especially if they're going to be asked to enter their credit card details etc. into it. Personally, I won't trust a game that willing to state it can't even be bothered to find an installer creator that doesn't append it's own blurb and disclaimer. It makes me wondered what else they've outsourced to the cheapest software they can find.

There's also the whole 'We advise you close all other Windows applications' thing, that hasn't been necessary for a long time and just makes it look awkwardly dated. That and the 'This folder does not exist, do you want to create it?' Which is just a case of 'If I didn't I wouldn't have told you to do it would I?'.

Incidentally there are some very good professional looking free installers out there. A simple google would point you to Inno Setup, which I've used before.

TLDR: It looks like Cryptozoic have been using an early 2000's era freeware installers to make their stuff and not noticed it's advertisement. There are perfectly decent far more professional ones available for free (like InnoSetup or NSIS).

Just a minor complaint / something to think about.

noragar
11-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I noticed that blurb when it popped up, but didn't give it a second thought. Whatever installer they were using successfully installed the game. If something can be accomplished equally well with freeware as it can with an expensive contract, then as a customer, I'm happy that there's one less cost that needs to be passed on to their customers.

Keated
11-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Honestly I had that thought too, but as long as it's only on the alpha I don't mind too much :)

Zophie
11-07-2013, 02:13 PM
My updater/launcher was installed by the installer just fine. This is Alpha, they don't have all the core functionality of the game in yet, and that updater is likely going to change as well, why do they need to wrap it up into a fancy licensed installer package? I'm positive the official launch installer won't be using this same exact installer. That falls under the category of product polish once the actual game is working and ready for full release.

mudkip
11-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I agree it's unprofessional and tacky.

Elementalist
11-07-2013, 05:01 PM
At this stage, I think the installer was a slap on just to make it easier for the general public to run the game...it seems to be just a copy/paste with some registry keys(yes I've already copy pasted it across comps, the exe auto created the registries...). So it's a good chance it was the first result from a google search to get something they could give to us in Alpha.

Eventually it will probably be replaced by a 100KB downloader which downloads the game with resume support. Until then...its something simple that hopefully won't cause/hide bugs they have to later fix.

Thelaasa
11-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Being as we are in alpha, I think it is a little more important to get the game working than it is to get a nice pretty installer for the game that you will only be seen once, and only by people who are already invested in the game and helping it improve. Now, if this were close to the end of beta/beginning of release, you might have something worth complaining about.

rcl
11-07-2013, 11:02 PM
I think OP's comment is perfectly valid. How are you certain that it will change? When in doubt these issues should be posted. Unless you're leading the development team it's pretty hard to be so sure of what they will or won't change before release

AdonFromHell
11-08-2013, 12:34 AM
I noticed that blurb when it popped up, but didn't give it a second thought. Whatever installer they were using successfully installed the game. If something can be accomplished equally well with freeware as it can with an expensive contract, then as a customer, I'm happy that there's one less cost that needs to be passed on to their customers.

Totally agree. Useful > Beautiful.