PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob builds a noob deck (Stall/Mill)

Kirian
11-11-2013, 04:50 PM
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3788

So the central conceit is: Dump Booby Traps into the opponent's deck, then mill the heck out of him (Fate Rack, Chronic Madness). Seagulls and Ancestor's Chosen for lots of blockers to stall the game as much as possible; Buccaneer, Chaos Key, and Polymorph for control.

Is it completely useless and noobish? The mana curve is way off, but the idea is to play extra cards as much as possible.

Winterfate
11-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Not even remotely noobish Kirian. ;)

Seriously, mill is turning out to be one of the stronger strategies of Alpha, at least from what I've seen in the various Hex streams I frequent. The only troop that remotely gives me pause are those Cloud Titans, but they could be useful as an alternate win condition against decks that don't have an answer for them.

Mind you, I'm a casual player of TCGs myself (and am not in the Alpha myself either), so perhaps more experienced players of TCGs can tell you if something could be swapped for something else. :)

Ritter
11-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Although I don't usually comment on suggested deck lists, I think it's important to look at them in relation to the Alpha, since that's our current baseline for testingness (a word that describes the quality at which one can practically test a deck against real opponents).

My first issue with the list is that Countermagic is not in the alpha. I think Countermagic is going to have a huge impact on the game, and they way people build decks. Right now, there is no fear of running your bomb spell into an open board, since there is no threat of having it countered in any way. You didn't say whether or not you intend for someone to try out this deck in the alpha, or if you were throwing around an idea that could be built off the current card list without regard for what is actually available in the alpha.

As far as mill decks go, it looks pretty stock. You have some larger monsters in there (Cloud Titans), and they seem irrelevant to your actual game plan. As Winterfate mentioned, they could go towards an alternate game plan, but I'm not sure how good they really are if the Ancestral Specters aren't winning it for you by that point in the game anyway.

If you want to really theorycraft a mill deck without current alpha limitations, I have some very spicy ideas in mind. I don't mean to tease at all, but once the rest of the gems are added to the alpha, I think there is going to be a lot more innovation with mill strategies that come from a totally different angle.

Your list is certainly not useless and noobish, but I would love to see you build a list and request someone on the alpha to test it out for you so you can see how it plays in the wild =p

jtatta
11-12-2013, 12:27 PM
The reason why mill decks are gaining popularity among the players, particularly the veteran players, is because people are starting to come to the realization that Life Siphon decks are the best decks. Because of this, it's very difficult to kill a Life Siphon player because of the life gained from Siphon and other cards (mostly diamond). Since it's so hard to deal 30+ damage against a control deck with the tools to kill everything, people are going to an alternate win condition. That said, Mill decks are pretty bad against the aggro decks.

TL'DR - Life Siphon decks are the best decks. Mill decks are well positioned against them. That's why they're good.

Kirian
11-13-2013, 04:13 PM
Ritter, I've actually played with it a few times (obviously without Countermagic, I think I put in two extra Polymorphs instead). It does... all right, I think? But it's hard to tell with a small sample size. It depends on what's in the opening hand, and there are a few weaknesses, in particular Ragefire, Murder, and anything large with Crush.

Ritter
11-13-2013, 08:58 PM
If Murder or other targeted removal spells are giving you problems, often the solution is to minimize your exposure to such effects. Is it possible for you to eliminate the troops from your deck entirely, or only leave in the troops that are ABSOLUTELY essential to your game plan? If you could somehow get rid of all your troops and be troopless mill, then every single Murder, Internal Conflict, Extinction, Buccaneer etc., used against you would be completely useless. Blanking 4+ cards of an opponents deck can be very very good.

Not saying that's the answer to your problem... just something to think about =D

Aradon
11-15-2013, 11:25 PM
I would caution you against countering murder by removing only 'most' of your creatures- when playing against removal-heavy decks, playing only a few creatures in your deck is almost worthless. The opponent will usually have an excess of removal, and almost always will have removal for the few creatures you do play. You either need to have a decent assembly of creatures (ideally ones that provide value before being removed, such as Squirrel Titans) or run none. Running only a handful of creatures is just asking for every single one of them to get killed immediately.