PDA

View Full Version : Dual Pact

Damascus
11-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Been having pretty good luck with this deck and haven't seen anything too similar posted yet so I figured I'd throw it up on here.

Dual Pact:

Champion - Monika'Shin
3x Pact of Pain
4x Pact of Life

4x Life Siphon
4x Extinction
4x Necessary Sacrifice
3x Murder
4x Crash of Beasts
3x Chaos Key
3x The Fate Rack
4x Moon'ariu Sensei

13x Blood Shard
11x Wild Shard

This deck uses the synergy of the two pacts to form a pretty cool draw-engine. The card-draw generally results in having a couple Pacts of Life out by mid game which enables you to draw a great number of cards each turn. This allows you to hit life siphons and crash of beasts pretty quickly and consistently for your win-cons, while Fate Racks can mill a deck as a tertiary win condition if the amount of life they end up gaining is unreasonable (see: diamond decks) and Chaos keys to deal with fist, etc.
I'm not sure if the champion I chose was optimal, but it synergizes well with necessary sacrifice so that I always have sac outlets for it and can provide chump blockers in worst-case scenarios.

Anyone have any ideas to better this deck? I know Pact of Life is maybe not what many would consider a great card, but it works much better than I thought initially and often keeps me well over 40 health (out of siphon range, etc).

Lawlschool
11-17-2013, 11:05 PM
I really want to like this deck idea, but something about it makes me sorta hesitant. I think my problem with it is that you have a ton of card draw, but not a whole lot to draw too. Only 8 of your cards (LS and CoB) really "do" anything, the other cards pretty much just help you survive until you get them. I suppose that's kind of the point, but I can see this deck having a lot of down time, where you keep drawing cards you can't use. NS is useless if you don't have critters, Murder / Extinction useless if they don't have critters, Fate Rack can be nice, but it probably way too slow to use as a consistent third WC, and you don't need another PoP if you have one in play. Also, with all the card draw you have, the Sensei seems like dead weight; it's a chump-blocking sacrifice fodder cantrip, and nothing more (while that's probably his role, I'm sure there's something that would help your deck more).

My suggestion is to trade out the Sensei for Pack Raptors. The raptors make excellent chump blockers, and because they practically replace themselves, there's not much worry to using Extinction if you have them on the board (which I'm guessing is the similar rational behind CoB). My worry would be that they might crowd up your deck even more, though I'm not sure that drawing in to a lot of raptors is a bad thing. I like them over the Sensei, as they are better chump blockers, can easily be sacrifice fodder, but are actually powerful in their own way. They also give you more things to do while you wait for LS and more CoB, but they do make it slightly harder to draw those cards.

Another thing you could do in addition to adding raptors is use Bun'jitsu as your champion. If the abomination keeps the keywords of the critters it transforms from, you could have a pretty powerful Crush / Swiftstrike troop at some point. If not, then I'd stick with Monika.

Those are my thoughts, but as I've yet to actually play the game and mostly have just been theorycrafting from what I read, take this advice with some salt.

Damascus
11-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Cool man, I appreciate the feedback - it definitely slow-plays like you said, but I find it's generally pretty hard to die after the pacts of life come out, and the draw engine generates crazy amounts of removal + rhinos + resources to keep life very high. The pack raptor thought is definitely interesting, although I wonder about thinning my deck if I were to draw it early instead of power-digging through to the pacts with sensei.

Lawlschool
11-18-2013, 08:55 AM
The pack raptor thought is definitely interesting, although I wonder about thinning my deck if I were to draw it early instead of power-digging through to the pacts with sensei.

Yeah, good point. If you got raptors early, and not much else, playing them would make it much harder to draw what you needed. Even if the Sensei's are really really bland, at least there's not a huge downside to them.

I'm definitely gonna have to try this deck out and make some mods to it when I get a chance. I like the concept, I think we might just have different playstyles, which is probably why I have my reservations about it. I feel like the deck could really benefit from a minor change in cards, but I can't really think of what cards would work better than what you have to do what you want to do.

Edit: I built your deck in TCG Browser to get a better look at it. (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3895) First thing I noticed is you have a lot of Double Threshold cards competing for the same slots. I don't know how often you run in to the problem of not having the right thresholds at the right time, but it does look like it might be a problem. You also have a lot more Blood threshold than Wild, so you might want to adjust your shard ratios accordingly.

I also looked at the available Alpha cards to see if I could find anything useful, and there really isn't much. Aside from Raptors for chump-blocking aggro (which we covered), you might be able to use some Inquisitors with the direct damage gem to help whittle your opponent's health down (plus, their resistance to Extinction is nice). A few Howling Braves might also help with early threshold fixing as well as give extra resources for PoP, but you might be better off with just a few more shards instead. As for what you could drop for those, I'm mostly looking at Sensei and the Fate Racks. With all your card draw, the Sensei seems like dead weight after turn 2. If you draw him with PoP, you're essentially expending 4 resources to draw 1 card. The chump-blocking aspect is still useful, so I'm kinda conflicted about this card. The Fate Racks don't really do much for your deck; you're not really going to want to draw more than one, and you're better off using spare resources on PoP. I'd keep one in, or put it on the sideboard, just in case you run in to a deck that can out-stall you.

jtatta
11-18-2013, 09:11 AM
This deck seems well positioned against other Life Siphon decks mainly due to the life gain combined with Chaos Key to deal with their Spiders. That said, you're all but dead to rights against aggressive decks, especially the mono-Ruby deck that's running rampant in the streamers tournament.

I like your approach and I'm not really sure how to make the aggro matchup better without making the control matchup worse. Once we can play with sideboards, you can adjust accordingly. You would think Pact of Life is good enough vs aggro but you're taking chunks of 8-10 damage a turn against mono-Ruby so three life isn't going to save you, nevermind the turn off you have to take to even play the Pact.

Norious
11-18-2013, 10:13 AM
This deck seems well positioned against other Life Siphon decks mainly due to the life gain combined with Chaos Key to deal with their Spiders. That said, you're all but dead to rights against aggressive decks, especially the mono-Ruby deck that's running rampant in the streamers tournament.

I like your approach and I'm not really sure how to make the aggro matchup better without making the control matchup worse. Once we can play with sideboards, you can adjust accordingly. You would think Pact of Life is good enough vs aggro but you're taking chunks of 8-10 damage a turn against mono-Ruby so three life isn't going to save you, nevermind the turn off you have to take to even play the Pact.

After seeing the Kroan / John Ruby decks of doom - i tried to make a counter to it, but I just don't think it can match the speed . My idea http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=3892 was to stall out, possibly using spellshield units as a win condition.

Damascus
11-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback man; I definitely agree with the assessment vs aggro, though I have largely run into far more siphon decks in my experiences at the moment (granted this will probably change fast after the tourney of streamers and the mono-ruby success). In the few matches I've played vs aggro I was able to draw 2-3 extinctions and stall out with a couple PoL in play to the point where their lack of card draw / gas won it for me - given though I have yet to really play a mono-ruby on par with the one/s I saw in the tourney, I'd probably get rolled if that happened xD