PDA

View Full Version : First Complete Games! Laptop tech tips?

HyenaNipples
11-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Hey all, got 5 games complete tonight and had a blast! Thoroughly enjoying Hex, but I was wondering if any laptop users out there might have some ideas about a problem I'm having. I had to move to a different computer to play the game, but it would be ideal to get Hex working on the laptop.

After a minute or so of deck building, the Hex TCG client freezes. The UI vanishes, the background remains fine, and the spinning Entrath globe sort of looks monochrome and muddy. I have to exit the client and restart it to regain function.

It's a non-gaming laptop with an older integrated GMA. But it runs League of Legends at 18-19 fps on the lowest settings possible, which is playable enough for my empty wallet.

However, it does have trouble with Duels of Planeswalkers 2014 which is similar to Hex TCG. I can't play that due to graphical issues.

Does anyone have an ideas regarding what sort of graphical problem my laptop is struggling with when it can handle the graphics of League of Legends and World of Warcraft (Cataclysm) but not Duels of the Planeswalkers and Hex TCG? I'm assuming some sort of shader or something is missing from the GMA?

WetMoon
11-22-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't really have any information for you but I am playing on a laptop that is a few years old and I don't have any problems.

hammer
11-22-2013, 11:19 AM
Hey all, got 5 games complete tonight and had a blast! Thoroughly enjoying Hex, but I was wondering if any laptop users out there might have some ideas about a problem I'm having. I had to move to a different computer to play the game, but it would be ideal to get Hex working on the laptop.

After a minute or so of deck building, the Hex TCG client freezes. The UI vanishes, the background remains fine, and the spinning Entrath globe sort of looks monochrome and muddy. I have to exit the client and restart it to regain function.

It's a non-gaming laptop with an older integrated GMA. But it runs League of Legends at 18-19 fps on the lowest settings possible, which is playable enough for my empty wallet.

However, it does have trouble with Duels of Planeswalkers 2014 which is similar to Hex TCG. I can't play that due to graphical issues.

Does anyone have an ideas regarding what sort of graphical problem my laptop is struggling with when it can handle the graphics of League of Legends and World of Warcraft (Cataclysm) but not Duels of the Planeswalkers and Hex TCG? I'm assuming some sort of shader or something is missing from the GMA?
If you run vista there is your prob!em

jetah
11-22-2013, 11:24 AM
It could be overheating. Take it apart and clean it. Or bring it to a shop and get it cleaned.

WhiteBubbles7
11-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I agree with jetah, clean out all of the dust. Be sure you are playing on a hard flat surface. Just because it is called a laptop, does not mean you should use; it on your lap.

jetah
11-22-2013, 07:11 PM
Laptop coolers are very nice to have too and cheap. just make sure you use the same direction your fan is running.

rabb1t
12-05-2013, 03:05 PM
...but it would be ideal to get Hex working on the laptop.

It's a non-gaming laptop with an older integrated GMA. But it runs League of Legends at 18-19 fps on the lowest settings possible ... I'm assuming some sort of shader or something is missing from the GMA?

If this is not a gaming laptop it's possible it's missing the bits necessary to run games. (As you mention, some don't have the sharers and other bits to correctly run 3d apps.) Do you know the model number and manufacturer of your system? Can you post a dxdiag file?

Unfortunately even if we knew what was missing that would be of little help if you can't afford a new laptop. Laptop graphic chips can't be changed or replaced, so if it truly is a non-gaming chip that can't handle gaming there's nothing you'll be able to do about it. :(

HyenaNipples
12-05-2013, 06:28 PM
No. It was the video driver...

I am shamed.

rcl
12-06-2013, 01:10 AM
If this is not a gaming laptop it's possible it's missing the bits necessary to run games. (As you mention, some don't have the sharers and other bits to correctly run 3d apps.) Do you know the model number and manufacturer of your system? Can you post a dxdiag file?

Unfortunately even if we knew what was missing that would be of little help if you can't afford a new laptop. Laptop graphic chips can't be changed or replaced, so if it truly is a non-gaming chip that can't handle gaming there's nothing you'll be able to do about it. :(

There is no plausible way that your response would apply to the OPs situation where it launches and stops after a while.

rabb1t
12-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry, my 35 years of experience with computers would state otherwise. :p

rcl
12-10-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry, my 35 years of experience with computers would state otherwise. :p

Even in 1968 if there was no driver available to facilitate communication with hardware, the result would never be that the interface to that hardware would work for a little while and then stop. Physically impossible