PDA

View Full Version : Murder revisited:

FlyingMeatchip
11-22-2013, 08:43 AM
The two blood threshold is just too much for this card. That color already has numerous double threshold cards. This makes blood more difficult to pair with any color. Can we get a discussion on this?

That being said I just did my first Hex all nighter...

jtatta
11-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Two threshold is fine for Murder, if only because Blood now has Persecute (which is better than Murder the majority of the time anyway).

I think Murder was a bit too splashable before anyway. That said, I do wish that Persecute was BB threshold and Murder was back to B. One of them certainly needs to be BB threshold however.

Oaka23
11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
When I fist noticed the double thresh on murder I thought the same thing, but honestly I'm ok with it because of Persecute, as jtatta said. It kind of makes sense that if you're only splashing you get a "weaker" version of a kill spell (though the lower cost is really nice anyway).

Aradon
11-22-2013, 12:59 PM
I've always felt that removal shouldn't be so splashable. I'm fine with murder being double-black, especially since the other colors get some pretty significant removal themselves.

Ritter
11-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Very powerful single target removal is usually tied to a specific shard (aka not splashable) for a reason. If Murder was easily placed into any deck that could manage a single blood shard at a reasonably early point in the game, then other removal spells would just get pushed to the side. Why bother with something like Repel, when you could just Murder? Turbulence is great... but for an extra source, you could just kill any troop you wanted.

You want people to have an incentive to play diversified cards. If numerous powerful splashable (low threshold required) actions or troops were running rampant throughout the set, then you would just have people playing 3 or more shards and jamming in as many powerful cards as they could with no regard for anything else and with no downside (they won't always have the threshold they need).

Simo46
11-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Especially when you consider drafting, Murder was way too splashable. I got a little cranky at the change but then I saw Persecute and it was all gravy. Maybe we'll see a few less Blood/X decks, can only be good imo

VoidInsanity
11-23-2013, 01:33 PM
It was needed considering how powerful it is for 3 cost Quick Action. While on the subject I think Extinction should also be increased to require 3 blood threshold considering how cheap it is compared to other board clearing cards.

escapeRoute
11-23-2013, 06:04 PM
It was needed considering how powerful it is for 3 cost Quick Action. While on the subject I think Extinction should also be increased to require 3 blood threshold considering how cheap it is compared to other board clearing cards.

magic lived for 20 years with wrath of god, a card that costed 4 and did the same exact thing (but it was white)... i think the 4 cost its ok... MAYBE its wrong to have it in the blood zone since it already have lots and lots of removal, but it seems pretty balanced to me... raise its cost and aggro decks will win every single high level tournament u will see

FlyingMeatchip
11-25-2013, 05:59 AM
I think they changed the color of Extinction to make a noticeable change in that card from what MTG did. Everyone would expect and welcome a white board clearer and we all would be thinking Wrath of God in the back of our heads.

Ritter
11-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Damnation was a color shifted Wrath of God to black, so there was indeed an exact printing of Extinction in MTG (or the other way around). Both have seen tons of play, but what's interesting is the shift in the power level of cards over years. Wrath of God was the gold standard for board sweeping in white, but as more cards were printed (specifically in white), options increased. Meanwhile, other colors did not really get a sweeper effect that matched Wrath of God until many years after its initial printing. Damnation allowed people to explore a new build space by getting away from white as the go to color for board sweeping, and instead run black based decks that might also want a board sweeper. While Wrath of God has been printed tons of times, with Day of Judgement a near reprint of the card as well, Damnation was only printed in 1 set with a promo released as well.

The makers of MTG purposefully push the metagame in various directions based on the cards they print, and Damnation allowed a whole slew of new decks to shine. Even today, Damnation is a 30$ card, and sees tons of play in decks that would otherwise never have the board sweeper. Yes, there are alternatives to Damnation in other colors, and even in black itself, but they are usually more conditional or limited in their applications.

I think they changed the color of Extinction to make a noticeable change in that card from what MTG did. Everyone would expect and welcome a white board clearer and we all would be thinking Wrath of God in the back of our heads.

What I think they did was start us off with a solid cheap sweeper in Blood, and then forced us into more interesting build options in Diamond with Judgement. Both cards have very clear roles, and there's really no reason one way or the other to expect the game to progress any different than MTG did. Over the course of time, we will see cards color/shard-shifted, functional reprints will pop up, and the distinction between the expected cards in each shard will slowly bleed into each other as they see fit.