PDA

View Full Version : Sabotage decks??? Interesting idea

Entityofsin
11-24-2013, 12:00 AM
So I was thinking of the idea and I'm sure other people have as well in creating a deck based around the Sapphire basic action card called Sabotage. It shuffles 4 Booby Trap cards into the opponent's deck and when they draw them they take 5 damage each.

I'm trying to make a deck that can use that and regular troops as a winning condition.

The deck would need to be able to recycle cards back into your deck and have a really decent draw engine. Some cards that come to mind is Cosmic Totem for the recycling, Oracle Song, Crazed Rummaging, Cerebral Fulmination, Bottle Vitae, and Secret Laboratory.

I'm trying to figure out a decent deck list for this and decided it would be cool to recruit some help in constructing this kind of deck. Purely for fun and all that cause I think it would be pretty hilarious to play this against the AI and watch them waste their draw on Booby Traps and then take 5 damage each time.

The entire goal of the deck is to fill the opponent's up with the Booby Trap cards.

Damascus
11-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Yea this deck is pretty common actually, check out the sapphire/blood control lists on the meta thread. It's def fun to play though

Entityofsin
11-24-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm not sure which thread you're talking about.. but the one that I looked at didn't link me to any deck lists that told me the card copy amounts.

escapeRoute
11-24-2013, 07:22 AM
it depends... u want to use creatures and have the random booby trap as a finisher or what?

ive got 2 versions of this deck.. one si b/s with creatures and removals... it finishes usually with spectres or with a life siphon/booby trap combo

the second one is a creatureless r/s control wich incorporate the cerebral and its hilarious to play, it either mills ur deck out OR it finishes u with a booby trap/ragefire combination... if u are not me... cause over 23 draws i am able to draw NO bue shards...

Entityofsin
11-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Well I want the deck to be able to basically burn my opponent down. I don't necessarily need a ton of creatures aside from maybe 4-6 really good blockers. The rest of the cards I want to have as control based and removal to help setup for mid-game and late game burn effects.

Lawlschool
11-24-2013, 01:09 PM
HyenaNipples has a pretty solid beginner's guide (http://hextcgshuffle.com/2013/10/15/the-new-tcg-players-guide-to-basic-deckbuilding-dual-color-decks/) to deck building that should help you get the basics down. Actually even features Sabotage, so could give you some ideas on what to use with it.

The TL;DR (because it is a lengthy article) is to pick a win condition (in your case, Sabotage), pick cards that help you achieve that win condition (here, it would be effects that make your opponent discard from their deck), pick out supporting cards (removal and card draw are universally useful, you usually want a back-up win condition as well), and then whittle down your choices and fine tune your deck to make it playable. Then all you have to do is start playing with it, and tweak it as you go.

Entityofsin
11-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Thanks Lawlschool. I'll have to sit down and commit some time to reading it after I'm done getting the dinner for the family ready for tonight and done with a few other things around the apartment. At first glance it looks like it's a nice little find.

Avignon
11-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I have been running a Blood/Sapphire Sabotage deck for about 4 weeks now as my main deck.

List is roughly (I am at work so can't look it up)

Hero: Kranok

4 x Sabotage
4 x Ancestors Chosen
4 x Extinction
3 x Necessary Sacrifice
3 x Oracle Song
3 x Xarloth
4 x Chronic Madness
3 x Tomb Lord
2 x Life Siphon
3 x Demented Demonlisher
3 x Shamed Gladiator
4 x Shards of Fate
11 x Blood Shard
9 x Sapphire Shard

I think I will swap out the Gladiator for the Persecution now given that the Gladiator is currently causing 3 damage when played.

Have a play around with this list as a base if you like. I still havent played much with it since the nerf to the demented demolisher and still unsure if shards of fate fits in the deck. You could try Nin too if you like but I prefer the extra card at 4 and 8.

Necessary Sacrifice is useful after you have had enough of Ancestors Chosen or on a spider or 2/2 Flyer or whatever you want really. Get some early damage in if you can with Gladiator, try get to 15 so the traps can take hold.

I have swapped Life Siphon with Secret Lab with varying results. Still unsure.

Feel free to add ideas or comments also.

Entityofsin
11-24-2013, 07:52 PM
I'll try it out and swap out Demented for Corrupt Harvester. Unblockable, Lifedrain, and has the same cost and threshold for 1/1 more. Everything else I'll try out as is.

mudkip
11-24-2013, 08:24 PM
4 x Sabotage
4 x Ancestors Chosen
4 x Extinction
3 x Necessary Sacrifice
3 x Oracle Song
3 x Xarloth
4 x Chronic Madness
3 x Tomb Lord
2 x Life Siphon
3 x Demented Demonlisher
3 x Shamed Gladiator
4 x Shards of Fate
11 x Blood Shard
9 x Sapphire Shard

Out of interest, have you tried reducing the troops and turning it into more of a control deck? Adding in Murder, Mesmerize or Dingler?

Entityofsin
11-24-2013, 08:43 PM
I've tried the deck and was testing for consistency against the AI. Honestly, the starting hands are awful. I never seem to get the correct resource when I need it and it's just a big mess most of the time. It also takes a while to get going because of that and usually by the time I can get enough Sabotage in the AI's deck I'm about to die. I almost feel like a deck that uses Sabotage is going to do best if it was mono Sapphire.

Have to do some more testing and maybe I just am bad at deck building. I kind of wish there was someone able to show me how the deck is played cause I'd get a better understanding of it and playing against the deck wouldn't be the same thing.

I might try the idea with a Sapphire/Ruby combination instead and have it be a little more attack oriented so I'm not necessarily relying on Sabotage but instead it's there for the extra damage and that could let Cerebal Fumination (if I decide to use it) and Chronic Madness put in a lot of work in milling the opponent's deck.

I just don't want to run a deck that's just aggro or control. I've played those kind of decks in other TCGs and I kind of want to do something different in this one, at least that's the plan for now.

Avignon
11-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Out of interest, have you tried reducing the troops and turning it into more of a control deck? Adding in Murder, Mesmerize or Dingler?

I havent tried to be honest, but I have found the early troops are necessary to stop small stuff attacking into you and sacrifice for big stuff attacking in until you can get off extinction. Also the early damage is absolutely necessary. Corrupt Harvest could be valid, I think I was running the blue 4 cost 3 3 with the blood gem that deals damage to the hero for a bit just to get a bit more damage through. You WILL NOT win by exposing 4 sabotages generally. Not with Fist and spellshield stuff around. You need to try and get a bit of damage through and the sabotages will put you over the line.

I don't play Magic TCG but in WoW TCG board presence was a big deal. I might be wrong, but with spellshield running around, I believe its important.

Entityofsin
11-24-2013, 10:12 PM
I think that deck you provided and the suggestions to go with it aren't working out well for me. I like Sabotage and all and I like Chronic for the milling and extra damage, it just seems I need to go with a cheaper mana direction. The problem I've been facing is I usually am 1 or 2 mana resource short in general and then not having the correct thresholds in place. Also that 1/1/1 Sapphire troop that creates the free troops with a draw effect haven't really worked that well for me.

This is something I'll have to look into tomorrow. It's just frustrating when I try other people's decks and I get really terrible starting hands or the resource colors don't show up for me.

Avignon
11-25-2013, 01:10 AM
It might be mulligan decisions. Sometimes you have to go to 5 because your resources don't match your cards.

escapeRoute
11-25-2013, 09:12 AM
u can counter fist with the key and the extintion basically kills everything, spellshield or not (exception made for fist)... what is ur problem with that?

escapeRoute
11-25-2013, 09:18 AM
here it is my S/R version who is working pretty well, it is a creatureless one and u have 2 winning conditions... mill or sabotage+some random burning

champion:
either gozzog or nim.. i prefer nim, the dwarf with the draw skill could do too

shards:
10 sapphire shards
13 ruby shards (its more important early to get those 2 threshold red than the blue one)

creatures:
none

spells:
4 burn
4 heat wave
4 ragefire
4 cerebral fulmination
4 time ripple
2 oracle song
4 sabotage
4 chronic madness
4 mesmerize
3 yesterday

total 60

i have a b/s verions that i think its stronger and more versatile, but this one is the one i have most fun with :D

ofc in a sideboard u should have the keys and the counterpells, they would be mandatory against a fist deck and spellshield... but ill repeat, this one is not a deck who could compete in a tournament, its counters counter it TOO much, even if it works pretty well against others

Entityofsin
11-25-2013, 12:46 PM
I have no idea what you mean by a fist deck. I'm assuming that means it's a deck that attacks like crazy with troops.

I'll have to try the R/S version. But if I'm having trouble getting good draws and figuring out how to mulligan properly (since I've never played a TCG that has that mechanic) then I'll probably think of something else. I'm still learning a lot from all this help and maybe I'll come up with something at some point. I just really like the idea of Sabotage. It has that nice burn potential and fattens someone's deck up by 4 - 16 cards. Kind of nice when they waste their draw phase on a Booby Trap.

Damascus
11-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Fist Deck:

Entityofsin
11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Alright, well I've tried using him and didn't really get much luck since I wasn't ever able to meet the threshold. Didn't help that I was trying to run it in a Wild mana deck with Ruby Action card support.

Been trying out other people's decks that are more attack oriented and been having more luck with them. I haven't tried the Ruby/Sapphire Sabotage deck yet.

ossuary
11-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Was Curse of Oblivion ever working before it bugged decks and they removed it from the list?

I am very curious to see whether or not Curse of Oblivion works on Booby Traps in your opponent's decks. I am guessing that this is going to be bugged at first for sure, since pulling a Booby Trap with Relentless Corruption currently damages you, but according to the wording on Booby Trap, if it "would leave your deck" it's supposed to trigger the damage... so in theory, you should be able to play a Sabotage, then next turn play Curse of Oblivion to take all 4 Booby Traps back out of your opponent's deck and kill them.

Has anyone tried this?

escapeRoute
11-26-2013, 08:31 AM
it should work that way actually... and i can foresee that card being permabanned then

ossuary
11-26-2013, 09:29 AM
it should work that way actually... and i can foresee that card being permabanned then

hahah, maybe so. :)

If you have the right cards in your hand (2 sapphire resource, 1 blood resource, 1 sabotage, 1 curse of oblivion), you can pull it off on turn 4. I couldn't think of a way to ramp into this earlier with the cards that are currently available... you would need 6 resources on turn 3 with 2S and 1B threshold.

That being said, voiding a card from the deck could very well not count as "leaving," mechanically. We'll have to get CZE to weigh in on that one, I think... until then, it's just opinion either way. :)