PDA

View Full Version : A quick mock up of how the board could easily be cleaned up...

havocattack
11-24-2013, 09:05 PM
I am sure the devs have already thought of this very basic solution, but here it is anyway...

Please view this image: http://i.imgur.com/bWCfbAA.jpg

Ok so, basically any troops, artifacts or constants that are on the board will stack on each other, similar to how I have stacked the corpse flies in the image, anything that is different in any way will be separate.

Simple, easy, good?

Frees up A LOT of room, that is for sure (maybe have it stack a max of 5 times so that you don't get crazy vertical stacks :P)

:)

What does everyone think?

Cheers

HAVOC

Mejis
11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
Yup.
DotP does this and it works well in my opinion.
And as you say, if a card is altered in any way then it becomes its own entity.

poizonous
11-24-2013, 09:20 PM
I think its fine but I also dont think it should happen until you control a ton of troops. There is no real problem with having 5 or 6 troops out with the current layout. But absolutely, when you have tons of troops I see no reason why it shouldn't adapt to something like that

havocattack
11-24-2013, 09:25 PM
yep exactly, they could allow 10 cards out per row before it does any possible stacking etc

hammer
11-25-2013, 01:04 AM
Those Corpse Flies look like big Bugs to me :D since you played them without threshold.

Serious - I like this, anything to clean up the field is create. One reason why I love Hex is the field isn't half covered by lands :D

Vorpal
11-25-2013, 08:57 AM
I think they need to shift to multiple rows once you get to 10 or so troops instead of making them really really tiny so they all fit on one row.

Stacking identical stuff is fine too, although I'm not sure how it would look if some of them exhausted and others didn't.

Roknar
11-25-2013, 09:08 AM
This helps but the variable stacking still ends in the same problem.
I'd suggest that if there is more than 1 card to be stacked you could simply show a number on the second card to indicate how many are behind that. That way you never have more than 1 stacked card no matter how many tokens you have out there.

Still doesn't help if you have many different creatures, possibly due to transmogrification. I don't have a clue how you could fix that though lol...scrollable troops? The same issues apply to constants and artifacts of course. More so even for constants, since they start resizing earlier than troops.
Maybe show like a minimap of cards or something and you can move the important ones to the main screen. You could do something similar to the the apple dock where they'd pop up as you scroll over some wheel of cards, I dunno lol.

loopholist3
11-25-2013, 09:45 AM
How does this work with declaring blockers when you have a stack of 3 or more? If you are still in the declare blockers phase and you already have 2 of the 3 blockers declared, and then you decide you no longer like who the 1st blocker is blocking, what process do you have to undergo to undo that block? What if the stack of creatures is a stack of creatures with a tap and sacrifice ability, and due to the blockers you declared the second one is going to die, how do you specifically use the ability on the second and not the other 2? What if you have 10 shin'hare and you change your mind about who you are blocking with the 3rd? What if you are attacking with the stack, and your opponent wants to double block one of them?

If your suggestion is to un-stack several creatures any time you attack or block, then I feel that the cards will be moving too often, and add confusion for both players as they try to mentally keep track of all the cards that are moving. I can't really think of any other solutions off hand, so if you have one please say it.

Zomnivore
11-25-2013, 11:59 AM
I'd say that you'd have as many unique stacks (as in a new card behind the first one) for as many unique buffs are added, after that you'd get one more card with a number of how many other similar cards are behind it.

You'd still have to design a ui that allows a person to block however many things are in that stack of mobs etc. Probably some block "x". thing?

Roknar
11-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Well like he says, for 3-5 stacked cards its not a problem, especially if there are few other cards on the board. After that you could stack them a bit differently. As for making choices on certain troops that blocked, well, he proposed to stack identical creatures. If you decide to block with one, it is no longer the same as the other and could be set aside. In that case you dont have a problem. I don't see that as a problem, since you don't typically undo a whole lot. Mostly it would just move them for comabt and then your good. Seeing as how combat will be your main focus it makes things clearer rather than confuse players imo.

An alternative would be to expand that minimap idea and maybe the use of some buttons/keys. I touched upon that here (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=30566).
What I'm thinking of, might be to have an alternate perspective of the battlefield that only shows troops that are currently in combat.
You could switch between the two views at will, obviously carrying over abilities from the the main view if you need to use abilities from troops outside of combat on troops in combat. This would be particularly useful if you have a second screen, which seems to be fairly prevalent these days.
And by second view I mean just blend out what you dont need, in this case anything outside of combat. If you decide to withdraw that token and block something else. It doesn't matter if you pick the exact same or not, since there will be like a dozen of the same.

Don't forget that this stacking business and what not would only occur if you have like, say, 20-30 troops. The normal view is suitable for roughly 6-8 troops I'd say, before you even have to consider any of this.

mudkip
11-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Please view this image: http://i.imgur.com/bWCfbAA.jpg

Makes sense. Maybe add a slider sort of thing to choose how much of the stack attacks?

Mejis
11-25-2013, 06:45 PM
I seriously think that all that needs to be done is to follow MTG DotP's example.
Identical creature cards stack after a certain number (e.g. 5) of copies on the board.
If any card is altered in any way then it moves to its own place on the board.
If you have a stack of creatures that can block, when you click to block with one of these then it pops out and occupies its own space. If you decide to unblock it returns to the stack it was in.

Does anyone who has played either 2012 or 2013 MTG: DotP disagree or agree with this?

Roknar
11-26-2013, 08:44 AM
I disagree in part. It works well for the most part, but once you start getting in that 20-30 creature range it can become quite a mess, especially if there are flyers in the mix. It can happen that it's so difficult to select certain creatures that the timer runs out.
This is especially noticable if you can't use the marquee selection to choose your attackers ( If CZE is reading this...we need a marquee selection ;) ), trying to select one by one and all of them moving as they are popped out will often take more time than the game gives you.