PDA

View Full Version : Replicator's Gambit + Pack Raptor, Verdant Wyldeboar

zaril
11-26-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm just wondering a few things, and I'm curious. I hope some friendly souls could just give me their thoughts on the matter.

If cards like the above mentioned ones, Replicator's Gambit + Pack Raptor, Verdant Wyldeboar exist, any kind of "decksearching for creature"-cards will be really strong. Too strong? Or will we not see any of these kinds of cards (decksearching)? I wish I could get an official response, but I'm all for theory-crafting or whatever we will call this.

The question is also, I guess, would you even see that the specific creature-card in question is "replicator's gambit affected" or a verdan wyldeboar with +4/+4, which I would think would have to almost be a must, since it's actually what the card permanently has been changed to.

Any insights? More questions to confuse me with? :) Answers?

Addendum:
Are these cards PvE only? Anyone know if there's any way we can differentiate PvP and PvE cards yet? Are the ones we have available all PvP cards?

Livewire
11-26-2013, 03:33 AM
To be fair, I wouldn't mind if they put a creature searching card in.

I have made a fair few Replicator's Gambit decks and I can say in its current state without a way to look up that card it is a very difficult card to play effectively. The best way I found to play it was to use resource removal from deck, lots of card draws and low cost creatures that buff each other (like Pack Raptor) but even then you can be defeated long before the deck comes into its stride.

zaril
11-26-2013, 06:59 AM
Yeah, but I'm thinking maybe it's better that Replicator's Gambit is weak, than "too good to leave out". The combinations and multiplicative impact it can have seem almost too strong in theory to allow any creature search in my opinion.

LeMazing
11-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Yeah, but I'm thinking maybe it's better that Replicator's Gambit is weak, than "too good to leave out". The combinations and multiplicative impact it can have seem almost too strong in theory to allow any creature search in my opinion. I'm sure Crypto will notice when a set they're putting together makes such combos powerful and viable, and they'll put in some cards meant to counter strategies like that.

And we've already got Frost Wizard, so it's not like that strategy will be unbeatable.

I for one would be excited to see more combo decks, but obviously they'll need to be kept in check somehow.

Pseudoradius
11-30-2013, 02:28 PM
I think Replicators Gambit alone is strong enough to not allow any creature search. Same with escalation being too strong to allow any "action" search.
Search effects in Hex will probably be very rare and hard to use or very specific in what they search for. Which imo is a good thing, since too general search cards aren't really interesting enough for the power they have.

Lawlschool
11-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Troop search is already pretty awesome, and combined with RG it'd be insane. But you gotta look at the downsides, not just the optimal plaus. Optimally, you'd be able to play a troop, RG it, Troop Search, and then replay it all in the same turn. Obviously that's a pretty narrow situation, especially if you're using it with a particular troop, so I wouldn't get too worried about it being abused. Plus, the troop search card might not be of a shard where broken combos could exist. It'd make sense to have it be a shard other than Saph to limit what troops the combo can feasibly be used with. It's a fairly involved combo, and usually those kind of combos are high-risk high-reward. There are likely multiple ways to disrupt a RG/Search combo, so I wouldn't worry about the rare cases where it goes off beautifully, and look instead at all the ways it could go wrong.

IF they do add in a troop search card (which I'm sure they will, it's a cool feature), I'm sure they would be mindful of its interaction with RG and design it to avoid degenerate combos.