PDA

View Full Version : Should CZE put on a tournament for alpha just before the beta?

Kaiba_Graysoul
11-26-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't know what people think of this but with the alpha having been such a big area of interest in hex I think it would be a cool send off to have an Alpha tournament just before the Beta and the winner gets some alpha special send off.

Disordia
11-26-2013, 02:21 PM
No

Vorpal
11-26-2013, 02:40 PM
I'd rather they spent the time on development so the game can be released quicker :)

Xenavire
11-26-2013, 02:46 PM
If they could outsource the resources (like asking a fansite to 'host' it and keep track of all the records) then I think this could be an awesome idea. But holding a tournament for nearly 20k people is a logistical nightmare when you have a ton of dev work to be getting on with (like rolling out closed beta, for example.)

However, if they provided prizes for a large scale tournament run by fansites, thats a different story entirely. If I could figure out how to organise that many people, I would have a crack at it, but about the only way you could do it on a time and sheer numbers basis would be single elimination until you can whittle down the numbers to a reasonable level. That alone would take several rounds, assuming everyone that is part of the alpha took part.

hammer
11-26-2013, 02:59 PM
You don't eat the sausage in the factory :@

Svenn
11-26-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm also going with no. I don't think we need official tournaments right now, or even at the end of Alpha. Maybe at the end of beta.

Zomnivore
11-26-2013, 03:09 PM
I would think the best option would be to have everyone in the alpha entered into a an alpha-ers tourney once beta/ more stable finalized systems are in place.

escapeRoute
11-26-2013, 03:26 PM
well it would be nice, and it may actually happen to try the tournament feature, but it may also not happen

Soldack
11-26-2013, 04:03 PM
They could give alpha participants a special tournament ticket for a special tournament held in the beta...

poizonous
11-26-2013, 04:13 PM
No, absolutely not. Is this question being asked because of Blizzcon having a Hearthstone tournament?

Soldack they technically are giving us special tournaments in beta and release with the VIP access, they did say VIP tournaments correct?

FlyingMeatchip
11-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Smaller tournys run by a fan site shouldn't be a problem.

mudkip
11-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm sure there will be a call to arms to test the tournaments feature in alpha or beta.

Kaiba_Graysoul
11-26-2013, 11:53 PM
I was under the impression that the vip gave free, not special access. And I have never followed or played Hearthstone. I get the feeling that people would rather CZE focus on speed of release but Soldack's idea is cool I think.

Xtopher
11-27-2013, 12:01 AM
I suspect they'll want to test the tournament code prior to beta. The best way to do that with max participation is a tourney with a prize, so it will probably happen.

Unless they're much further out from successfully running a tourney than I think they are. In that case, we could just go into beta without this part of the system being tested.

Kroan
11-27-2013, 04:32 AM
I was under the impression that the vip gave free, not special access. No, it's a special tournament every month only for VIP's. You still have to pay an entry fee.

Soldack
11-27-2013, 04:50 AM
Soldack they technically are giving us special tournaments in beta and release with the VIP access, they did say VIP tournaments correct?

You make an excellent point poizon. I was responding to the OP. If they wanted to have a "thank-you-for-alpha-testing tournament" the ticket could be given out at the end of alpha and the tournament itself could be run when the game is in beta. But perhaps testing a constructed tournament feature could happen at the end of Alpha while everyone still has access to 4 of every card.