PDA

View Full Version : Mono Ruby w/ Command Tower



Entityofsin
11-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Champion: Poca, The Conflagrater

Troops: 24
4 Veteran Gladiator
4 Ruby Pyromancer
4 Emberspire Witch
3 Gem-Crazed Berserker /w Speed gem
3 Lord Alexander
2 Ash Harpy
2 Zoltog
2 Rampaging Tarasque

Actions: 12
4 Ragefire
4 Burn
2 Ruby Aura
2 Plan C (I'm probably going to replace this with something else, maybe Ruby Lance, Suppression Fire, or 2 more Ruby Aura)

Artifacts: 2
2 Sapper's Charge

22 Ruby Shards

Updated: No longer using Command Tower for now. If it gets a slight buff in the future in some way I'll consider it.

Eierdotter
11-27-2013, 03:54 AM
20 shards feels very low... (you will get resource screwed a lot)
4 taskmaster to buff haste to 6 other troops (while playing them 1 turn later if hasted)? does not feel superb, maybe consider alexander instead for a free buff

Plan C is very risky without alexander

ash harpy/ Tarasque playable Turn ~9... sort of too late

escapeRoute
11-27-2013, 03:59 AM
for its price the command tower should really give +1/+1.. right now its overpriced and not that good

Eierdotter
11-27-2013, 04:32 AM
+1/+1 would be much better than the very strong diamond inspire guy...

maybe reduce its cost to 2...

escapeRoute
11-27-2013, 05:54 AM
+1/+1 would be much better than the very strong diamond inspire guy...

maybe reduce its cost to 2...

that could be another option

HyenaNipples
11-27-2013, 06:32 AM
I'm a big fan of Ruby Aura for these types of decks. Swiftstrike makes even Savage Raiders hard to deal with early on.

Entityofsin
11-27-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm actually pretty okay with 20 resources. A good chunk of the games start out with 2 resource and I'm able to draw into more of them for turn 3 and 4 plays. I also don't get Ash Harpy or Rampaging out on turn 9 or later when I have it in hand but I'd play Zoltog over them cause of the Savage Raiders spamming the field.

I like Lord Alex and it's a great point that he's a free buff card. I could cut 2 Taskmaster for 2 Lord Alex and see how that works out. I might instead cut 1 Taskmaster and 1 Gem-Crazed for 2 Lord Alex. I'll have to play around with the numbers.

The Command Tower I like cause sometimes I don't draw into Ruby Pyromancer but when I was looking at Ruby Aura I really wanted something that would give everything a buff at the same time rather than just one Troop. Swiftstrike is pretty nice though so I'll swap them out and give them a test. If Command Tower either is buffed to +1/+1 or costs 2 mana to play I'd definitely consider it over Ruby Aura or even run both.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Indormi
11-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Plan C with 20 resources and no L Alexander is way too risky and it wont benefit you much in my opinion. In addition, with so few resources if you open an arpy or a Tarasque in your opening hand you start with -1 in hand pretty much as you wont be able to play them anytime soon.

You cant give speed that many creatures with taskmaster and you have 12 (if you include sapper charge) alternative turn 2 plays to him, I would change it for something else (it can only give speed to gladiator and zoltog).

The deck has no turn 1 plays so you may want to include Savage riders as you need to win the game fast as possible. Savage riders are quite annoying as they will kill 90% of 1 drops and 2 drops and people dont usually want to lose their 1 drops so they wont trade with it, before Pocca nerfs charge bots were also usefull 1 drops but now...you're probably only getting 1 blaze elemental per game.

I would swap the command towers for ruby auras as they are really nice combat tricks and makes your creatures much more hard to trade with.

Entityofsin
11-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Okay.. this is the updated deck list. The changes were made yesterday I just never posted up an updated list.

Troops: 24
4 Veteran Gladiator
4 Ruby Pyromancer
4 Emberspire Witch
3 Gem-Crazed Berserker /w Speed gem
3 Lord Alexander
2 Ash Harpy
2 Zoltog
2 Rampaging Tarasque

Actions: 12
4 Ragefire
4 Burn
2 Ruby Aura
2 Plan C (I'm probably going to replace this with something else, maybe Ruby Lance, Suppression Fire, or 2 more Ruby Aura)

Artifacts: 2
2 Sapper's Charge

22 Ruby Shards

First I'd like to say thanks everyone that has posted before I get into responding.

I'd like to make it very clear that I get multiple Blaze Elementals off in a single game, however, not every game. So if there's a better champion to pick than Poca, The Conflagrater then by all means make the suggestion.

I've never been very fond of Savage Raider but I suppose I could try him out. The question would be then what to take out for it and how many should I test? It seems like a card that you max or don't bother playing and decreasing the numbers of other cards doesn't seem to be that great of an idea. Emberspire Witch already is a 2 drop that can take care of pretty much everything that Savage Raider can take care of and even some 3 and 4 drops too cause of Swiftstrike. So I don't really see the point of finding space for Savage Raider. Zoltog already makes them so I see even less reason to devote space to a 2/1 beatstick that gets out preformed by Emberspire Witch.

As far as Furious Taskmaster is concerned, I didn't take it out for any reason other than the mana cost. A single Furious Taskmaster could give speed to any Veteran Gladiator, Ash Harpy, Zoltog, Emberspire Witch, or Rampaging Tarasque. Maybe it was a bug but during situations when I was able to drop multiple Troops with Taskmaster, I was able to pay the 1 mana cost and give the other Troop(s) Speed and let them attack that turn. It was very rarely and that kind of situation was another reason why I swapped it out with Lord Alex. It's an okay 2 drop but when I tried Lord Alex in its place I got much better results.

As for the 22 Ruby Shard count. I picked 22 for a good reason. That reason being that for the deck in how it's structured and ratio'ed out. I wanted to pick a number that would give me a large probability percentage of getting 2 of them in a starting hand of 7 cards. It's a 81% chance of that happening and the 19% of the time it doesn't happen I'm okay with. I can mulligan to 6 and have a 72.4% chance of opening with 2 of Ruby Shards. The other reason is I wanted a number of resource cards that would give me a decent chance, but not something I would rely on, probability of getting 3 Ruby Shards in the 7 card starting hand and it gives me roughly 50.9% chance of that happening.

From my test games against the AI just to figure out hand consistency, resource drawing consistency, and starting hand consistency, I've found that, right now anyways, 22 Resource Shards is ideal for a lot of the decks I've been playing. This will probably change a lot in the future and doesn't even apply to double shard color decks, but you should get the idea.

The only things I'm doing in the Alpha right now is testing draw consistency, resource draw consistency, and starting hand consistency. I've rarely seen myself get resource flooded and screwed with this deck at 22 Ruby Shards. I do realize that the results don't mean much since it's against the AI, but it's good enough for me at this point.

Please, if I'm wrong in any of my thinking then let me know and explain it.

Indormi
11-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Your deck now looks pretty similar to the deck John played (and won with) the tournament of streamers. Now that you got more resources in and changed some stuff I wouldnt include the raiders anymore, as now it has more of a midrange edge to it than just plain aggro.

What I meant with the 1 blaze elemental per game was related to charge bots (and indirecly to vitae), if you played charge bots and vitea you could even triple elemental in 1 game when it only costed 3 charges.

In addition if you were giving speed to arpy with taskmaster that is a bug as the text says that Target ORC gets speed this turn, not creature.

Right now your deck is solid, a little bit worse than it was a few patches ago but still strong. You may want some card for some specefic matchups but thats about it.

Entityofsin
11-28-2013, 08:17 PM
I'll worry about side deck cards later. I'm just worried about getting early game consistency down as much as possible.

And what happened a few patches ago that make it a little bit worse? Just cause of the stuff people are playing against one another in PvP?

Indormi
11-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Changes were nerf to Pocca(she only need 3 charges before) nerf to Berserker(he was a 3/2), change to harpy (it was 5 costed 0/3 with no speed before) and I also believe ruby aura was 1 costed before but Im not 100% sure about this one. Nerf to vitae too (2 for activation instead of 1).

Entityofsin
11-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I wasn't aware of the nerfs. I don't really pay much attention to them right now since it's just Alpha anyways. On some websites though, like hextcgbrowser, it says that Harpy will give a piece of gear that puts her cost at 5. Though I'm not sure if gear is going to be a factor in PvP and I'm guessing it isn't cause of some of the insanely powerful stuff I've saw, like Zoltog's buff he gives to orcs for the piece of gear he lets you equip (which is a +1/+1). But I'm not entirely sure how gear works right now and I'm a little bit away from worrying about it right now anyways.

Thanks for the heads up though man. :D

Indormi
11-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Gear does not work on PvP. And you can only choose your champion from a pre-set. So basically what we have currently on Alpha is what we are allowed to use on PvP

Entityofsin
11-28-2013, 08:42 PM
That's good to know. I was a bit concerned for some of the other stuff I saw like for Burn and Ruby Pyromancer gear making Burn deal 7 damage per use. That's insane.

I guess I'll have to mess around with some options to drop Plan C for now. Any suggestions or do you think it's worth keeping for now?