PDA

View Full Version : Mention in Forbes

Patrigan
11-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieltack/2013/11/26/the-best-digital-card-games-of-2013/

So Hex got a mention there:

This incredibly ambitious MMODCG may have played its hand far too early.

The free-to play HEX: Shards of Fate aims to capture a digital Magic: The Gathering audience and tap into existing MMORPG space.

In an effort to get the product into Kickstarter backer and player hands as fast as possible, the current Alpha version of the game leaves much to be desired.

And that’s what’s being shown on Twitch.tv, discussed on forums, and compared to competitors. The current version of the game probably has little resemblance to a finished product, but putting it out in the world at this stage of development may have not been the best way to showcase the game’s potential.

We’re confident that HEX has a bright future as many major elements and features of the game have yet to even be touched upon, but there’s only so much that the claim of “It’s just alpha” can do. It’s out there, it’s being played, and it’s going to be viewed relative to the rest of the market. We’ll be monitoring progress on this one carefully.

This link has been going around on facebook quite intensively, so Hex is getting a lot of visibility.

This is both worrying and exciting at the same time. He's saying that Hex has a bright future and that it can go strong, but he worries that CZE played their hand too early. I agree with him, there's only so much "it's alpha" can do.

So what can we do to make this better? I believe, like mr Tack alludes to, we should put the focus not on what's now, but what's coming. The strengths of Hex lie within the ambition with which this project is created.

The question is, how can we do this?

Damascus
11-27-2013, 12:38 AM
I for one am very happy with what's been presented in alpha thus far. I know what alphas are, and what to expect, so unlike the person who wrote this, I don't really feel that there's only so much "it's only alpha" can do. I view it more along the lines of: if I'm having fun already with a game that's only in this stage of development, I am very excited for what will eventually take shape.

Good publicity or not, the only people who are playing at this point are ones who are financially invested in the game (and hopefully feel the same way I do). When the f2p PvE portion comes out, all the people fence-sitting will have the opportunity to judge for themselves.

poizonous
11-27-2013, 12:40 AM
Hell I said it when Alpha 1st came out, they rushed it because of all the complaining. Granted their original suggested release date didnt help the complaining. But the article is fully right, HEX has a huge future and I have also worried about the bugged alpha being twitched might scare potential people from getting in to the game.

Even if it scared 50% of the viewers. HEX still has a very abundant following of backers. Backers arent going anywhere, we are in the game and see the potential. It is an amazing game, sure alpha is buggy but with the 20K people in it the bugs go away fast as long as EVERYONE does what they are supposed to. That includes CZE and us testers. So many of these testers are not even testing anything, just playing and playing, not reading the patch notes, not reporting bugs and when they are reporting bugs it is something thats been posted hundreds of times.

I have a feeling that the patch that is starting in 2 hours could potentially be something huge....

hammer
11-27-2013, 02:42 AM
I have a feeling that the patch that is starting in 2 hours could potentially be something huge....

Yeah I have the same feeling - it is certainly something that justifies staying up through the night and I think this is a push to get something huge out for the thanksgiving weekend. Could it be that we will see a dungeon or drafts! - this is maybe hugely optermistic!

poizonous
11-27-2013, 02:49 AM
Yeah I have the same feeling - it is certainly something that justifies staying up through the night and I think this is a push to get something huge out for the thanksgiving weekend. Could it be that we will see a dungeon or drafts! - this is maybe hugely optermistic!

My thought was Draft, really dont think we will see a dungeon in alpha with the servers in their current state but either would be fantastic

FlyingMeatchip
11-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Probably just smoothing out some rough patches, tweaking and putting in cards to get through the Holiday.

I see your big guild sign and say....Hell Yeah, sign me up that looks cool!

Gwaer
11-27-2013, 03:20 AM
Doubt we will see draft before all cards are in alpha at least.

hammer
11-27-2013, 03:22 AM
Doubt we will see draft before all cards are in alpha at least.

Why - I think it would be good to test before all cards are in. It means that the draft format / infrastruture can be explored without fully unraveling the best draft strategies.

Gwaer
11-27-2013, 03:24 AM
*shrug* I just have a feeling we won't see draft before all of the cards are in. I like making wild statements with no evidence.

hammer
11-27-2013, 03:56 AM
Patch notes are out - smoothing and fixes.

Soldack
11-27-2013, 04:54 AM
*shrug* I just have a feeling we won't see draft before all of the cards are in. I like making wild statements with no evidence.

I agree with Gwaer. 99% of the cards need to be in before draft starts because balancing for draft has been the primary focus and missing cards could give people the wrong idea about how successful they were at balancing it.

Avaian
11-27-2013, 05:58 AM
...there is only so much 'it's just alpha' can do.

I am curious what people expect from alpha?

The Hex alpha has been fairly successful in my experience. It would be difficult to find an alpha that invited as many people as CZE has to the Hex alpha and not do it for a publicity attempt.

Server issues and Bugs seem to be the two 'problems' that people have with Hex at the moment.

The server issues are easily explained by both the number of invites they sent out and the size of the server they are using. (Was explained in Kickstarter Update #57)

The bugs are what you expect in an unfinished game and should be what people are expecting.

To reiterate, I am curious what people expect from alpha?

This is really just a curiosity, and apologize ahead of time if I unintentionally aggravate a few people. Hex has also been tons better than what I expected from alpha.

Hieronymous
11-27-2013, 06:01 AM
The alpha seems to be going really well to me. This has been one of the smoother MMO launches I've participated in.

ossuary
11-27-2013, 06:02 AM
I think about it like this. 10 years ago, if you made a show (or a webcast, or a videocast, or whatever) that could only be seen online, you were thought down on because you "couldn't make it" on a real network. Now, that's extremely commonplace, and internet shows are on the rise while traditional cable networks are losing hundreds of thousands of customers year over year. New mediums bring new risks, but also shift the balance away from the old guard.

Yes, CZE letting so many people into Hex at such an early stage of alpha was, frankly, effing insane. :) But that doesn't necessarily mean it was "wrong." It's a crazy risk, but it also shows a huge amount of heart, confidence in the product, and faith in the followers to appreciate it for what it is. This could mark the start of a new trend, where the best companies are actively engaged in making their products better WITH their customers, right from the start, for everyone's benefit. Kickstarter really brought this kind of model out into the open, I just think CZE is taking it one step further. Sure, it could backfire... but it could also turn out to be the best thing they ever did.

Undoubtedly, some impatient or shortsighted or unfaithful people might be turned off by how it looks now, and make a final decision based on that rough look... but just as many if not more will appreciate the chance to get in on the ground floor and really see something big develop. Someday, people will be proud to say "I was there when it started."

zug0
11-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Just to make it clear: this is not a mention "in" Forbes Magazine site. This is a just a blog inside Forbes site. Usually these guys gets payed by monthly traffic generated to forbes site, so that's prob why you see the article floating around so much. You can read more about it here: http://www.forbes.com/sites/susannahbreslin/2011/04/06/how-to-become-a-forbes-blogger/2/

Xenavire
11-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Honestly, ignoring the instability, this is the least buggy alpha I have ever been in, with the most engaging and long lasting content I have ever seen out of an alpha. Quite honestly, almost any MMO in alpha phases would have maybe one PvE zone and a dungeon open at this point, with 30% of the quests completely broken and the rest filled with bugs, and you wouod be able to finish 90% of the content in a day assuming you didn't crash every fiveinutes (which you would.)

Compared to other MMO's, Hex is outstanding and highly addictive, even this early. By the time we hit beta I will probably be playing a few hours every day.

Ertzi
11-28-2013, 11:55 AM
By the time we hit beta I will probably be playing a few hours every day.
More like 6 - 8 hours but yeah ^^ And I work full time. That's how frighteningly addictive HEX looks like already.

Banquetto
11-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Quite honestly, almost any MMO in alpha phases would have maybe one PvE zone and a dungeon open at this point, with 30% of the quests completely broken and the rest filled with bugs

To be honest, "30% completely broken" would be about 69% less broken than my first week of Hex alpha. :D

Handsofevil
11-29-2013, 06:57 PM
(tl;dr near bottom)

I would like to point out something that hasn't been brought up, other than the brief mention about the goal of Forbes bloggers. That is the credibility of the poster. Now I have played all 7 games on that list, most of which I played during my 25 hour streaming marathon. I have played TCGs my entire life, in all forms and all types. While I am not "Pro" at it, I feel I am very qualified to give my 2 cents :P. This is the order they placed the games:
7) Scrolls
6) Faeria
5) HEX: Shards of Fate
4) SolForge
3) Might & Magic: Duel of Champions
2) Duels of the Planeswalkers/Magic: The Gathering Online
1) Hearthstone

Now I know that ranking like this is always opinionated, and it's good to get other people viewpoints. I think this list is about 80% crap... I will go over, in reverse order to their list, my thoughts on the games, since I have played all of them extensively.

1) Anyone who has mentioned Hearthstone on my stream knows my feelings about it, so I will keep my 'rant' very short so I can get to the rest of it. Hearthstone is shallow and flashy. There are HARD counters and very little room for creativity. The power scaling (legendary cards) can be ridiculous and a game that is 30 life to 4, will end up with the 4 lifer winning while the 30er sits there powerless. Fyi, I played WoW. I LOVE the lore. This game doesn't do it justice. Basically, the article said this game is flashy and has possibilities.
2) Honestly, this deserves #1 in the current state of all the games. I have no qualms with MTG in any form other than cost. The article RIPS into MTGO, so I have no idea why he gave it #2. Doesn't give me much confidence in his decision making.
3) Probably my #2. It is a very unique style with a decent amount of creative options. The game feels polished and decently balanced. "Far and away one of the best DCGs", but get's #3 over MTGO? And "Lack of a trade or card crafting system." Even though they do have a crafting system.
4) Maybe not #3, but deff top 5. It is a very simple, but balanced DCG that takes a unique look on 'lane play'. No incentive to play for very long during current Beta, but fun for a couple games a day. The article says it's waiting on many features to be implemented, but the title has potential. Isn't that what he supposedly said about HEX only in kinder words?
5) Ah HEX. The game we know and love. In it's current state, maybe not #1, but I'd probably but it #3. Once the rest of the features come out, it will probably quickly rise to #1. Now this is where the article takes a very harsh turn. "There's only so much that the claim of 'it's just alpha' can do" is what he says. But isn't that the point of Alpha? To be crappy and buggy? This is the largest open Alpha I've ever heard of, especially for a DCG. There have been MAJOR improvements consistently. I would love to see Hearthstone during Alpha."it's going to be viewed relative to the rest of the market." Now that's just not fair :P. Let's compare this pile of 2x4s to that house. Which one would you live in? Most would say the house. But those 2x4s are destined to be part of a mansion with it's own water park and movie theater. I want that water park!!
6) Played this game, though not as much as most others. Very intriguing concept, and I can't wait for a release (even beta) with more content. This article doesn't actually cover anything about the game. Just that it needs to go from browser to Unity based and that it has tough competition. I was hoping to learn something from this article.
7) Scrolls, now I'm not sure this game belongs on the list. I have played it, and it's horrendous. Maybe it's the deck I started with, but it's incredibly difficult. I can't get past most of the easy challenges. Those that have seen me play it agree with me. Also, cards are incredibly expensive and generating the in-game currency to buy them takes an inordinate amount of time. The article says the biggest issue is game length. While I agree the games may be longer than most MTG or HEX games, I don't feel they are too long, just way too hard.

There is a game that should have made it on the list, in my opinion. Infinity Wars. VERY unique game, and probably my #4 or 5 right now. It's an amazingly fun game that takes a little to get into, but it's worth the time.

tl;dr - The article is VERY briefly written with very poor description as to why games got the ranking they did. Most games had some comment along the lines of "there will be more to come". Some of these games got high rankings, hearthstone, while some got low, HEX. No rhyme or reason to ranking, and no consistency makes me not respect a word this writer says.

Sorry this got long! I just have a problem with bad writing getting good press. I know there's some spelling/grammar mistakes. I'm fixing them as I catch them.