PDA

View Full Version : Protectorate Defender

wasichu
11-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Man after the changes he isn't much a defender anymore at 1 defense. Id rather see him as a 1/3 than his current 2/1.
Or change his name to Sacrificial Kamikaze.

SomeoneRandom
11-27-2013, 07:29 AM
being a 2/1 gives him a lot more play options. As a 1/3 I dont see him showing up in many decks. On the topic of flavor you might be slightly right, but he kills something and then comes back to defend you again!

Eierdotter
11-27-2013, 07:42 AM
1/3 would be awesome

currently he is just slightly better than the grimm skull sorcerer (i assume you go for the swiftstrike as soon as the gem works)

putting the 1 lifegain gem in him is sort of pointless
putting the +1/+1 on champhit gem in, just screams "i want to trade with every common 1drop you can throw at me!"

HellsingDS
11-27-2013, 02:03 PM
its not so bad in a control deck but i agree, 1/3 would work for both major gems.

wasichu
11-27-2013, 02:09 PM
yea going from 2/4 to 2/1 hurt bad. I also noticed that Blood Savant no longer has tap anytime to pump him. I can only do it offensively and pre attack. I don't remember if this was always this way or not but the card is worse than vanilla

poizonous
11-27-2013, 02:32 PM
a 2/1 Swiftstrike for 2 mana is perfect for White Weenie decks. Yes he serves a completely different role as a 2/1 but he is far from bad

escapeRoute
11-27-2013, 03:25 PM
i actually love him and i hope i will be able to use it in my b/d control deck as soon as the gems works.... and he is great for weenie decks too

why in the world would anybody want to have him as a 1/3...

LargoLaGrande
11-27-2013, 04:17 PM
I think he'd actually be stronger as a 1/3 because he'd able to swing into nearly every 1 or 2 drop and pump your team in aggro decks. He also would become an unburnable card draw or discard engine for control (and again, gets to swing into 1 and 2 drops). Even just a 1/3 that gains you 3 is pretty good against Ruby aggro when it comes down turn 2.

I think he's fine right now and is one of my favorite cards now after his change to a 2/1, but it is kind of silly that Grim Skull Sorcerer is so similar.

escapeRoute
11-27-2013, 04:38 PM
as it is now, when the gems will be fixed, he and the 3/1 spiders will be the perfect discard machine combined with the giant corpse flier in my b/d deck (but i could still use him as a 2/1 swiftstrike little bitch anyway)... how dare u try to nerf it for a puny little aggro deck?

anyway... right now he can be used in competitive decks.. as a 1/3... meh... i dont know...

LargoLaGrande
11-27-2013, 04:46 PM
I don't think it does though, the thing that makes him so strong is the fact that he's a 2cc Major gem holder, not his base stats. Becoming a 1/3 lets him get in and activate the gem on T3 quite a bit more and you don't have to waste removal on 2/1s. He would actually do equal or more damage to your opponent in all but the best case scenarios.

cheveedodd
11-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Is he bugged right now? Ever time I lose a PD, I lose one resource when he reshuffles.

VoidInsanity
11-27-2013, 08:39 PM
He needs a nerf. A 2 cost 2/1 1 threshold with a Major socket that returns to your deck when it dies is just a better version of the already good 2/1 1 threshold minor socket card that doesn't return to your deck when it dies.

MugenMusou
11-27-2013, 08:49 PM
He needs a nerf. A 2 cost 2/1 1 threshold with a Major socket that returns to your deck when it dies is just a better version of the already good 2/1 1 threshold minor socket card that doesn't return to your deck when it dies.

I wondered the exactly the same. I don't know if OP or not, but the fact is same shard, same cost, and same stat, but one has major socket PLUS return to deck. This is basically one card is COMPLETELY superior to the other, which I don't think is a good idea because inferior one is just there as place holder to fulfill card pool number. UNLESS they plan to utilize the subtype to compensate these difference in the future.

poizonous
11-27-2013, 09:21 PM
I wondered the exactly the same. I don't know if OP or not, but the fact is same shard, same cost, and same stat, but one has major socket PLUS return to deck. This is basically one card is COMPLETELY superior to the other, which I don't think is a good idea because inferior one is just there as place holder to fulfill card pool number. UNLESS they plan to utilize the subtype to compensate these difference in the future.

Not every card is designed to be awesome and Most cards are designed by rarity for Draft purposes.

decoy11
12-04-2013, 12:15 AM
I'd suggest altering the defender to lose the socket entirely and gain the ability to spend (1 or 2)+tap to return target own card to hand or the original 1 shot ability but target-able to your own cards. Thus defending troops/constants on the field and not making him a improved grim skull. And of course make him a 1/2, no idea why a diamond troop would ever have more offense than toughness.

LargoLaGrande
12-04-2013, 03:01 PM
And of course make him a 1/2, no idea why a diamond troop would ever have more offense than toughness.

Because we want diamond aggro to be viable?

poizonous
12-05-2013, 01:41 AM
Spearcliff Pegasus 2/1 Grim Skull Sorceror 2/1 Pegasus Cloud Knight 3/2 get over the whole diamond needs troops with low attack high defense, this might be close to magic but it isnt magic

DackFayden
12-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Spearcliff Pegasus 2/1 Grim Skull Sorceror 2/1 Pegasus Cloud Knight 3/2 get over the whole diamond needs troops with low attack high defense, this might be close to magic but it isnt magic

Best comment in the thread. minus the bad manners of course.

Although I guess from a (more recent)-magic standpoint. White has been know to excel in low drops with much higher power than toughness. So design wise white cards around that cost could really go one way or the other in MAGIC only.

HEX is a different game, and it looks like CZE is (copying more recent magic) making it the shard of early aggression

escapeRoute
12-05-2013, 03:16 AM

somebody forgot that magic have a long history of high damage low healt creatures starting with savannah lions, just to bring in the most famous card

poizonous
12-05-2013, 04:18 AM
somebody forgot that magic have a long history of high damage low healt creatures starting with savannah lions, just to bring in the most famous card

lol No Escape I didnt forget, just the point I was trying to make didnt need to comment on the few White Creatures with Higher attack than defense lol

Ritter
12-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Funny enough, when I read the above posts about low power to toughness ratio for white/diamond comparing MTG to Hex, I couldn't figure out what made you think white wasn't an aggressive color right from the start?

In the first printing of MTG almost 20 years ago, white had not only Savannah Lions but White Knight and Serra Angel to boot. Cards don't need to have higher power to be aggro in nature, it just happens that Sometimes aggression takes the form of a 2/1 for 1 cost, and sometimes a 4/4 flyer with steadfast for 5.

Over time, cards come and go from constructed play and the relative power level of troops will shift as will their roles in the landscape of that particular rotation of cards. Right now in MTG standard construction there are some VERY aggressively costed white troops, two of which are 1 cost 2/1 troops.

poizonous
12-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Magic is not 21 years old. It is only 19 ( you still can't get it drunk and f*ck it)

Ritter
12-05-2013, 10:40 AM
You are correct. This is the 20th year anniversary but typing on my phone isn't always easy. I wrote a huge article calling Twisted Fate Twisted Madness without caching it like 7 times.

I've been playing and loving the game for so long though it feels like it's been well over 20 years already.

DackFayden
12-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Personally, I don't think the card has weird P/T compared to other diamond cards. Anyone opposed to make is cost 2*Diamond threshold. Limiting its playability in multicolored decks might make it seem more fair, without hurting mono-diamond decks.

Of course this would only affect things like Turn1 pack raptor --> T2 Protectorate defender --> T3 2*Diamond threshold active.

or just change the name to like "Protectorate Champion" so those stats make sense