PDA

View Full Version : Vennen Control

Lawlschool
11-30-2013, 09:35 AM
I've been having quite a lot of fun with this deck, and as I haven't seen much love for the spider-people, I thought I'd share this decklist.

Mono-Blood Vennen Control (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=4235)

For those who might not be able to access Hex TCG Browser, or who just want a deck list, here's the cards:

Champion
Gozzog

Troops
4 x Brood Creeper
3 x Xarlox
3 x Rot Caster
1 x Malice Demon

Basic Actions
2 x Call The Grave
4 x Relentless Corruption

Quick Actions
3 x Persecute
4 x Blood Aura
3 x Murder
3 x Terrible Transfer

Constants
2 x Pact of Pain

Artifacts
3 x Secret Lab

Shards
25 x Blood Shard

This started out as an attempt to use both Vennen and Relentless Corruption, but it ended up playing surprisingly well. It's a very slow deck, goal is to systematically remove opponents troops, eventually dropping Xarlox and the Creepers to start generating Spider Spawn. Terrible Transfer and Blood Aura help regain all the life you likely lost early on, and Call The Grave tends to work as a nice counter to other Control type decks. The deck really hits its stride late game when you can do things like murder a troop and blood aura your xarlox or brood creeper in the same turn, and I've managed to come back from almost certain death this way multiple times.

This deck is still pretty early in its formation, and there are a number of changes I want to try out. Relentless Corruption, while fun and occasionally pretty useful, is a bit too risky for my liking and takes up 7 spots (the 4 copies plus the 3 Labs to cycle out dud draws). Notably absent is the Inquisitor, and that's only because there are only 2 Blood gems out and I think they're both bugged (Inquis seems to get an extra Rage 1 every time he's played, which doesn't seem right, and the discard gem doesn't work right now). I could also use an Extinction or two, though I've managed to overtake some very dominant board positions without it. Another Malice Demon or a couple Xentoth's Chosen could work as additional late-game bombs, and some hand destruction with Corpse Fly might be nice.

Right now, this deck is pretty dependent on troops and removing the opponent's troops to win. It's a bit of a control hybrid, so it will probably lose out to pure control. And even though there's good sources of lifegain, they're usually not useful until later in the game so speedy aggro could probably bring me down before the deck hits its stride. It's also really vulnerable to Inner Conflict since I don't have any direct damage spells. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It went from a throwaway attempt to use Vennen to becoming my current favorite deck.

Entityofsin
11-30-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm not really a huge fan of Rot Caster. 5 drop for 3/2 and kill a 3 or less cost troop? Yeah it's probably a +1 in a lot of cases but I feel like a cheaper troop works better. The problem is there isn't a huge list of stuff that are Vennen to pick from.

I would love to see this deck in action but the servers are currently down. x.x

Lawlschool
11-30-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm not really a huge fan of Rot Caster. 5 drop for 3/2 and kill a 3 or less cost troop? Yeah it's probably a +1 in a lot of cases but I feel like a cheaper troop works better. The problem is there isn't a huge list of stuff that are Vennen to pick from.

I would love to see this deck in action but the servers are currently down. x.x

Yeah I'm iffy on Rot Caster too, but exactly, not a lot of Vennen to choose from right now. It's a soft Murder, it's nice that he puts a body on board to block/trade, and he can be recycled with Call the Grave, but he is pretty expensive. I could switch them out for 4x Murder / Persecute / TT and get basically the same effect, drop the RC/SL combo for some Flies (or Inquis once Major Blood is fixed) and Xentoth (use the spawn as sac-fodder). There's definitely a lot of room for improvement in this deck, but I like the direction it's been headed.

Feel free to challenge me when I'm around, or of course use and modify the deck yourself!

Entityofsin
11-30-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't like Inquistor at all since its effect turns it into a 5 drop with an even worse effect than Rot Caster. There are better things to play even with that with 5 mana and threshold. Xentoth's Chosen is almost a better option but I think that guy is a 6 drop. It might be wise to use 2 drops that aren't Vennen for the time being. I don't see any reason why it can't have supportive cards from other races.

So maybe for the time being a mono Blood approach with a focus on Vennen cards would be best. It'll make your troop line up a lot stronger.

Lawlschool
11-30-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't see any reason why it can't have supportive cards from other races.

Pretty much just because I wanted to make a Vennen deck, hahaha. Kinda like building a pure bunnies or pure dwarf/robot deck. More focused on the theme than the practicality.

But because I do like how the deck plays and there's nothing wrong with making it better, I'll probably do a redesign focused on a sort of hybrid lifegain/control mono-blood beatdown deck. I hope they add in more ways to use life as a resource, would make lifegain more interesting than just "I have so much health there's no way you can win."

Entityofsin
11-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah if Blood gets more lifedrain effects or ways to heal up then Claw of the Mountain God would be insane to use. The 2 damage you take each turn from it wouldn't matter but it's an extremely beefy 5/4 3 drop. The strongest 3 drop for stats I believe and it's better than a lot of 4 and 5 drops in stats as well. I do remember playing Blood Aura on him once and he just simply wouldn't go away and blocking with him was also nice since Lifedrain works with blockers; which I think is a bit crazy.

If other cards come out maybe your focus would be more on orcs for a mono blood deck. Hard to say but has some nice stuff. I do like the Relentless Corruption idea. Even if you skim off copies of their shards you can still use them just to increase your mana.

Lawlschool
11-30-2013, 03:30 PM
Yeah if Blood gets more lifedrain effects or ways to heal up then Claw of the Mountain God would be insane to use. The 2 damage you take each turn from it wouldn't matter but it's an extremely beefy 5/4 3 drop. The strongest 3 drop for stats I believe and it's better than a lot of 4 and 5 drops in stats as well. I do remember playing Blood Aura on him once and he just simply wouldn't go away and blocking with him was also nice since Lifedrain works with blockers; which I think is a bit crazy.

If other cards come out maybe your focus would be more on orcs for a mono blood deck. Hard to say but has some nice stuff. I do like the Relentless Corruption idea. Even if you skim off copies of their shards you can still use them just to increase your mana.

Funny enough, I won using this deck against a Ruby/Blood Orc deck where the guy used a Claw + Blood Aura. It's a sweet combo for sure and I definitely panicked a bit when I saw it, but it's thankfully susceptible to removal. He had got me down to about 3 or 4 health using Claw before I managed to get rid of it. Can't remember if I got rid of it with Rot Caster or with Terrible Transfer, but it was a cool example of how the deck can bounce back from a pretty bad position.

I've honestly been surprised that I've won the games I have with this deck, but it's quite resilient, especially with TT. I kinda prefer TT to Siphon in this deck, just because you can play other things in a turn with TT and get the same lifegain as Siphon.

LockeCole
11-30-2013, 04:04 PM
TT can be a dead Card, which is why Siphon is better in most cases.

Entityofsin
11-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Rot Caster might be able to get rid of a beefy card like Claw but that isn't before it can possibly do 10+ damage. It's kind of silly and even if you get rid of it with Rot Caster or some other card, the fact that damage was made is a big deal. Having a smaller cost card in combination with Persecute or possibly Blood Aura is a better option to me.

I also hate TT. It just feels like the other quick actions mono Blood decks have are better options with the correct troop line ups. Though you said you've been having successful with the deck so TT and Rot Caster can't be all bad. I just feel like if I'm going to be playing 5 drop cards that I want a little more out of them. TT is a really expensive single target removal card for a little life gain at 5 drop and Rot Caster is an expensive 3 drop and lower remover. It's why I don't like the cards all that much but we both know that there aren't very many options to pick from for mono blood.

Even with all of that, I'll do some test runs against the AI once the servers are back up.

Lawlschool
11-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Yeah, like I said, I've been impressed with how the deck's been doing given that I've been using seemingly sub-optimal cards. Maybe I've just been getting lucky, but both of my big wins have be from some serious disadvantages against decks that seem to be doing their thing well, and I've had some other minor wins not really worth noting. I'll play around with it more tomorrow, see if I can't get trounced and find the weak spots. I doubt this thing would win tournies, but for casual play it's been treating me well and is pretty fun.

I'm gonna defend TT over LS, just because the deck is focused on troop removal. LS would be a good sideboard option against decks light on troops, but for now I've really been liking TT. Getting rid of your opponent's best damage troop, prevent the damage it deals, and gaining life to boot is nothing to laugh at. It's not a great 5-drop for sure, but late game when you've got 8 or more Blood it can be a nice surprise. My problem with LS is to get the most out of it you need to use up all your resources, which means it's the only thing you can play that turn. It's a great finisher, but not so good when you're trying to stage a comeback, at least not in this deck. Like Locke said, LS is better in most cases, but I think this is a case where TT is preferable.

Lawlschool
12-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Finally lost a game with this, to infam0sne0's rooster/bunny swarm deck. Caught me with a surprise Evolve when I was low health. Got a little cocky since I've done plenty of comebacks from below 10, waited a turn too long and didn't play TT. Figured aggro swarm would be this deck's weakness, good to know!