PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Integrating a HEX client in other games

Excantius
11-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I was just looking at the latest "Wingmans Hangar" Episode of the game "Star Citizen" and I thought: "Hey... wouldn't it be cool if I was able to play HEX during my downtime in Star Citizen, e.g. when I'm hanging out in my hangar or in a space cantina or something."
And YES, it think it would be cool.

A purely digital card game should be relatively easy to integrate in other games (I think, I'm not a game developer) and it surely couldn't hurt HEX's playerbase due to the huge public interest surrounding Star Citizen.

And Star Citizen is not the only game it could be integrated in - maybe the setting of other games like "Wildstar" or whatever are more fitting for HEX. But the idea stays the same.

I don't know if you guys from Cryptozoic had this idea already, and I have also no idea if there would be legal ramifications or huge technical difficulties by trying something like this, but maybe this could broaden HEX's audience. Not that it seems necessary, but hey, the more the merrier, right?

Just something to think about. :)

PS: Really loving HEX so far. Keep up the good work.

Stok3d
11-30-2013, 02:30 PM
I just want hex pre-installed with desktop icon on every tablet sold...

Xenavire
11-30-2013, 02:34 PM
It would require a LOT of manpower. Possibly more than either company has, even with all their manpower combined. On a technical level, just getting a game of any kind to connect to two different servers with no kind of overload or dropped connection would be a mean feat - then getting the clients to run in tandem without eating all your ram would be just as impressive. And you would have to figure out a lot of client sided issues (like what happens when your mouse reaches the border of hex, do you swap over to the other game? is it a hotkey? are the hotkeys going to clash? etc etc.)

You would more likely be better off just dual clienting - you don't lose much by alt+tabbing.

Lawlschool
11-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Seems like a cool idea, but not sure how feasible it is. You're talking about having the game integrated in to other games? Like, your toon in game A goes somewhere and can start playing Hex as a sort of mini-game? I actually really like that idea, but I think it might be better suited for more lightweight games like Bejeweled or some TD type game. Would be really cool to see indi-devs put demos of their games in other games though. I remember in DK 64 you could play the old arcade DK game, which was pretty badass even though I was awful at it.

I don't think it would work for Hex though, as it's a bit too involved to splash in to another game, especially when you could just alt-tab and play some casual games. Would Hex run on their servers / engine? Would the game have to access Hex's servers/engine? (asking rhetorically) Plus legal reasons, like licensing. Stupid legal reasons, always getting in the way of fun.

Excantius
11-30-2013, 03:04 PM
I thought about it like this:
You enter a space cantina in SC, which hosts a few "HEX-Terminals" you can use.
When you do, it launches a HEX login screen in the SC engine where you can enter your HEX credentials.
After verifying them, a standard HEX client (nested in SC or not) launches full screen "substituting" SC for the time of the HEX-session.
When HEX is terminated, SC "takes over" again and you can leave.

Sure, there would be some obstacles I imagine (the HEX client must be integrated into the SC client for example so that everyone can start it and get at least to the login screen), but I can't imagine this would be impossible from a technical standpoint.
And I think neither Star Citizen (when running in the "background" and no graphics must be rendered, no input has to be processed, etc) nor HEX will be such resource hogs that they can't run at the same time on a poweful PC (which you need for SC). HEX is running on a tablet for gods sake. ^^

But, just as Lawlschool wrote, the legal side of the matter might be an entirely different thing.
No gaming-lawyers here who care to give a statement on that? :p

HyenaNipples
11-30-2013, 05:38 PM
The code for this is already written:

ALT+TAB

jetah
11-30-2013, 07:29 PM
The problem is that HEX is a full fledged video game. It isnt something that could run INSIDE another game (well it could but would require a complete new 'client'.

It's much easier for you to just alt+tab or even minimize your game and then run HEX. There is the option that you could just grab your tablet (I assume you have one) and start HEX--when tablet support is out, of course.

IF HEX was a flash or HTML5 game then it could be feasible for it to be played alongside other games.

Now the question is what would your game get from HEX to allow a game to be ran from inside their game? I suspect CZE would have to offer up a % of sales done inside said game. Much to what Steam would require if/when HEX is on Steam.

HyenaNipples
11-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, if you had Hex on Tablet, all you would need is for your avatar in another game to pull out its own tablet.

Then you would be playing Hex TCG, while playing another game- and you'd practically be LARPing. A sure winner.

blakegrandon
12-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Hey guys, I got an idea. We put Hex inside of another game which we then put into another game which we then put into Minecraft where we build a computer to play Hex.

Yo dawg....

Everyone thinks the decline of the human race came about from WOW, I know the truth, it was from EQ adding mini games, a browser, and the /pizza command.

rcl
12-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Yo dog I heard you like Video games..

..so I put a video game inside your video game so that when you play your video game you can start playing your other video game!!!

mudkip
12-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't think it's a good look. If the first video game is so lacking in things to do that it lets you play another game, then maybe you should just stop playing that first game all together?

If you give rewards for playing both games, you're just going to exhaust the users and make the casuals resent people who have enough times to master 2+ games.

Overall, interesting, but bad idea.

Roknar
12-03-2013, 12:44 PM
It's already possible, buy a second screen;)

Excantius
12-03-2013, 03:01 PM
A second screen! That's BRILLIANT! :p
I know I could play the game on the separate second screen.

But the thing is that many people treat MMOs as a second world they live and breathe in (and I'm not judging whether that's good or not ^^).

All I'm saying is that it might be beneficial for both companies and their respective playerbases to provide (in this example) SC players with high quality "leasure time" HEXertainment built into their "2nd home".

Roknar
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Well... if you live enough in that world, you would imagine multiple screens with joysticks and what not.
You could fix some tablet in a position relevant to your ship computer or whatever and play from there lol. (or a really small screen :P)

Assuming there's no ingame benefit for SC, using a second screen for ...dare I say it...immersion, would work just fine, with no amount of effort required for either company (and money).
Merging the two seems like a huge amount of work for little to no actual improvement for either game, especially when there are arguably acceptable compromises to doing so like alt tabbing and what have you.

I'm not against minigames and all, but this is a bit too heavyweight imo.

If you could log on to a website and buy/open boosters and maybe build a deck and nothing more, yea, that I can go with. It's quite imaginable that SC might get working browsers and that kind of stuff is something I could imagine seeing for a game like hex and in that case they will be automatically compatible.

Viziroth
12-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Acutally, this would be great for a game like EVE... and all you would have to do for that is create a in-browser version of Hex, since EVE has a built in browser...

Handsofevil
12-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I'd like to make tl;dr for the entire thread

TL;DR: Not worth time+money. Alt + Tab ftw.

Turtlewing
12-05-2013, 03:07 PM
I honestly can't imagine playing Hex inside Star Citizen would be a satisfying experience.

You'd be looking at a terminal in Star Citizen that displays the Hex UI, and interacting with the Hex UI through that terminal?
I mean, could you imaging trying to play a game on the holotable in the hangar?

Even ignoring the huge pain in the ass that would be integrating the Hex client into the Star Citizen client (and having to patch Star Citizen every time Hex releases an update even if you non't use the feature), why would a player actually want to do that when the could instead park their Star citizen character in front of a terminal (or pull out their mobiglass), then Alt-tab to their Hex window or open hex on their tablet/second screen IRL?

Xtopher
12-06-2013, 06:17 AM
It seems if you wanted to be on the same chat as the game Hex is embedded in, then you'd need to have a separate chat server from the main Hex chat server.

If that's not an issue, then all you really need is a button in game and *click* Hex is launched. Maybe a different UI skin to reflect the game you're entering from, too.