PDA

View Full Version : Big Creatures! Mono Wild from Team Spicy Brews!

beepharoni
11-30-2013, 06:17 PM
In addition to creating YouTube videos regarding our deck ideas, and random concoctions that we create for the Spicy Brew Series, Team Spicy Brews will be creating some article content that takes a more in depth and thoughtful approach to how we create / play our decks. If you are unfamiliar with the Spicy Brew Series, Ritter and I (and hopefully more members of the hex community will be joining us under the Spicy Brews tag) will create a deck revolving around a single card that a community member suggests. We attempt to use the card in a creative way, and parlay that card into a win condition, or into a combo that then becomes our win condition. Where Ritter has much more experience with TCG's than I, I think that we have both come up with some interesting ideas for decks, and it serves as a valuable tool for you community members to see how we go about building the deck, and what factors we think will eventually turn into a key to victory. But, I digress. This isn't an article about the Spicy Brew decks, this is an article about the first deck that I have created in the Alpha, and have been tuning/tweaking. I'd like to share that deck with you right now, and the reasons why I think that it will be a contender.

http://i.imgur.com/lGzzscV.jpg

Deck List:
4x Chlorophylia
4x Crash of Beasts
4x Crazed Squirrel Titan
4x Fist of Briggadon
4x Howling brave
4x Wild Root Dancer
4x Moon'ariu Sensei
2x Hex Engine
2x Eternal Guardian
4x Charge Bot
1x Bottled Vitae
23x Wild Sources
Champion: Polonius (8 charges: create a mammoth squirrel titan (6/6, must attack each turn if able)

This deck is tuned in such a way that every card that I draw has a purpose that leads towards my end goal. Which is to ramp up rather quickly, and lay down punishment in a swift and decisive manner.

(for the context of this article, we are going to assume that all things are going according to plan, and that we aren't missing our resource drops when we need them)

Howling Brave/Chlorophylia/Hex Engine

These two cards are essentially what makes this deck work. I'm sure if you are an avid forum reader you hear the howling brave being referred to as "Llanowar Elf" (sp.?). That's because it is a similar copy of a very popular magic the gathering card. The card on it's own isn't very powerful, but it is one part of a lethal combination that will ramp your resource pool very quickly. For those of you unfamiliar, the card text reads that if you tap/exhaust the Howling brave, and you get [1/0] (a temporary resource for the turn). Again, on it's own, it's not that great, but when you pair that with various other cards in the deck, you are moving towards the end goal.

On turn 2 we should be able to drop the chlorophylia. This will effectively put us at 5 sources in our mana pool for our 3rd turn. (if you consider that you will be exhausting your howling brave again) [The deck currently does not have any 5 cost cards in it simply because Spirit Dance has been having it's troubles with the synching timer, and it makes games painful to endure. However, once all the trouble is worked out, chances are that I will be removing the Hex Engine, and a vitae and tossing in 3 spirit dance cards.] Turn 3, if all things are going according to plan, you would look to drop another resource and slam down a fist, raising your own in triumph! Feel good about yourself, you just played a 6/6 invincible, crushing card on turn 3. Your opponent is scared. The fist CAN be stopped, but on turn 3, it's very difficult to stop him from exercising his will.

Crash of Beasts/Crazed Squirrel Titan/ Fist of Briggadon

These three cards are going to be the win conditions of the deck. We have already explained our early game combo, which leads towards pushing these cards into play early. Ideally, you have a fist in your opening hand and can drop it on turn 3. That isn't going to happen every time, so we have contingency plans. The crash of beasts is an escalation card, and while escalation was nerfed, this card is still really good. playing multiple 3/3 crushers is encouraged! Not only does it put your opponent in a position where they need to decide if double blocking is a good idea, but any spillover damage from a chump blocker goes right into their champion. If they choose to double block, you are effectively making them use 2 cards to stop your one, and you are still trading 1 for 1. I'm under the impression that crash of beasts is still bugged out at the moment, and when it "shuffles" into your deck, it really is just getting placed on the bottom. so at the moment, this might not be the smartest card to play, but when the card is working as intended we should see this being a card that gets play in many wild decks.

Crazed Squirrel Titan is going to be our removal card. Granted it's not as good as a murder, burn or persecute in terms of pure removal, it's still very effective. This is a 4/5 troop that battles a target troop when it comes into play. This can be extremely helpful when it comes to removing a single card that your opponent is playing that is stopping you from carrying out your gameplan. I've dropped this squirrel on a 4/4 righteous paladin, where my opponent had his charge power ready and a heal in hand (which was played on the subsequent turn), and it turned what would have been a rather difficult match into a walk in the park. (at the moment, the battle effect when this card enters play does not deal damage to Flock Of Seagulls, although I feel that it should because the card reads prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to it, and battling isn't exactly part of the combat phase. But, that's just my opinion).

Fist of Briggadon needs no description. He is a 6/6 crushing invincible troop that must attack each turn if able. He does lots of damage, and there are limited ways of stopping him. Even if your opponent has them in his deck, he might not have them in hand or have the threshold to use them.

Charge Bot / Bottled Vitae / Wild Root Dancer / Moon'Ariu Sensei

These cards are my "in between" plays. If for some reason I am unable to get my combo to come together, I still have some low cost options for my turn. Moon'Ariu sensei is great, because it starts off as a chump blocker and replaces itself in my hand by allowing me to draw another card. There isn't a very wide variety of cards in my deck, so pretty much anything I draw is going to work out well for me. I'd prefer not to draw a howling brave when I already have over 6 resources in play, at this point that card isn't as effective as the others could be.

Wild Root Dancer, in my opinion, is the most powerful card in all of set 1. The only thing more powerful than a wild root dancer, is TWO wild root dancers. A common mistake that I see people make with the wild root dancer, and many other cards for that matter, is that they feel the urge to play it immediately. It's a great card, and I can totally understand the desire to want to drop it when you hit that third source, but I must emplore you to be patient with this card. many a time have I played a control deck that is heavy on removal, seen my opponent drop a turn 3 Root Dancer, just to have me destroy it before they have the opportunity to use the effect on the card. I personally try to hang on to that root dancer until turn 4 (assuming I have a source in hand), or at the very least pair it with a howling brave on turn 2, with a source in hand. If your resource pool has 2/2 sources, you have a howling brave in play and a wild root dancer + source in hand, you could play the root dancer, followed by the source and buff your howling brave. now he went from an insignifigant 1/1, to a decent 3/3. Draw another source? now he is a menacing 5/5.

Charge Bot and Vitae are just fillers at this point, but they serve to help Polonius reach his charge ability. I will eventually replace the charge bots with Eyes of creation, and most likely change polonius to Monikashin, kishmoto or running deer. it's hard to say what will be worth while at this time as there are many cards yet to be introduced into the alpha. However for the moment, I run with polonius, and with the combination of charge bots, sources, and vitae, I have been able to get the mammoth titan out in many of my games, and use him to my advantage, both as a deterrant to an attack, as well as a powerful attacker.

Eternal Guardian:

I only run two of this card in my deck, but chances are that if he sees play, the game is already on it's way to being over, or you are getting trashed and then the tides will have turned so hard that your opponent is likely to concede the game. There are very few cards that can remove this troop from play, and even less that can remove him from play when i choose not to attack with them. This card comes out, and sits around looking pretty while the rest of my cards start to methodically pick apart my opponents deck. If it gets murdered, there isn't much to be done with it. There was a game where I was down to 1 hp, my opponent had somewhere in the range of 14, with card advantage, and the eternal Guardian saved my bacon. It's not a guarantee'd win, but depending on what your opponent is running, it can really make a huge difference.

beepharoni
11-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Things to Look out for:

There will be a few different ways to stop this deck. A few cards that I would like to point out are as follows:

Diamond: Inner conflict - This card will without a doubt make that fist useless. 6/6 Crushing is great, but when he can't block or attack he is just pretty artwork. You need to be prepared for the inevitability of seeing this card come out when playing against a Diamond deck. The main counter to this would be to use your wild root dancers to spread your love to other troops in your deck, so that they pose as much of a threat to your opponent as the fist does. A 5/5 Moon'ariu sensei does almost as much damage as a 6/6 fist, minus the crushing.

Blood: Extinction / persecute. Extinciton will wipe the board, with the exception of your fist. It is going to be painful to see all this build up wiped away by a single card. Our fist will stand, but everything else will be trashed. Overcommitting is something we need to be wary of. Don't feel like you need to play tons of cards, for the sake of playing tons of cards. have 2 wild root dancers out, and a third in hand? Do not feel like you HAVE to play that card. sure, buffing an additional +2/+2 to a troop with each source played sounds great, but when that board sweep comes by, you'll wish you held on to it. Persecute is the only card in the game that has the ability to flat out kill the fist. If your opponent plays two persecutes on the same turn, it takes the fist down -6/-6, which will remove him from play. Be prepared to see people holding those persecutes for the right time.

Ruby: Ragefire / burn / heatwave. All strong cards for taking care of our weaker troops. Even if we can get a wild root dancer out, a heatwave would clear him off of the board. You need to remember what I said earlier and try your best to hold him until you can play him, and a resource in the same turn. This way you buff your weak 1/1 troop out of the range of a heatwave. If your opponent wants the card dead THAT badly, he will be forced to use additional cards, which only benefits you.

Sapphire: Mimic/Mesmerize/Counterspell: These are all effective ways of dealing wih our big cards. Mimic would simply create a mirror of our card, and effectively neutralize it. witha fist, the mimic would not only stop our next fist attack, but it would get a chance to swing at us for 6. Mesmerize renders our fist useless after a single attack. Even though we are running 4 fists in our deck, chances are you might not see a second for a bit. Be prepared to use your other cards effectively.

The best advice that I can give with this deck, is to try not to overcommit when playing against a deck that can wipe the board (Blood/Ruby). Don't expect your fist to do all the work either. Spread your buffs from wild root dancer to your weaker troops to ensure that they stay on the board, if only to provide a solid blocker in the event a particularly nasty foe comes into play. Removal decks are especially effective against a deck such as this. We run very few abilities, and we are relying on brute force to power our way through the match quickly. Don't get discouraged if you play against a ruby/blood deck and they have a response at every turn. No deck is perfect, and you will not win every game.

This is the first article that I have created as a fan for a game. And While I don't know how much time I can dedicate to writing these, I will surely attempt to create more content for the community as I am able. There are plenty of videos that can be viewed on both my, and Ritter's Youtube pages (dozens of hours worth of content between us), with some pretty creative deck creation and ideas. Any comments and criticisms are welcomed.

Zephyrduo
11-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Has Team Spicy Brews! worked on an Artifact only deck? For some reason I've been fascinated by these cards and their available troop choices but have yet to bolster my resources to make power plays. Tried combos of Worker Bot Factory, Hex Engine, and Slaughterer but my builds are far too slow.

If your team is up to it I'd like to see a viable pure Artifacts deck and in the mean time I'll try this Mono Wild deck because these aggro type decks fascinate me!

beepharoni
11-30-2013, 06:51 PM
I don't have a pure artifact deck, but if you check my youtube page i have a "TruFax" Deck which combines Ruby and Sapphire + artifacts to make a pretty effective killing machine. Unfortunately, this was pre 815B, and I haven't touched it since. I would not be against revisiting the deck.

Try this deck out and let me know what you think, and exercise patience with those wild root dancers!

Zephyrduo
11-30-2013, 08:33 PM
I've been playing with it for awhile and its pretty fun. Oddly enough I always find myself with an Eternal Guardian the turn before or after I summon the Titan Squirrel Mammot(Whatever Polonious's ability summon is called) and rack up some pretty neat end of duel wins with failed blocks.

Eternal Guardian + Wild Root Dancer seem to be my game enders so far. Not sure if thats just my luck or because of my playstyle but it is interesting.

beepharoni
11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
I'm glad it is working out for you! I haven't had games that have lasted long enough to get to my guardian out of my last 5 or so games played. It's been pretty much steamroll victories, or games that drag out longer, but I don't see the card drawn.

I've been tweaking and changing the deck bit by bit as the alpha grows older. It's at a point where the only thing that will make it better is the Eye of Creation, which i am waiting patiently for.

Simo46
12-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Straightforward, tough to deal with. Fist is gonna be worth its weight in gold when it's time to start our proper collections in beta

Damascus
12-01-2013, 02:09 AM
Cool decklist man - have you tried out Nelebrin Skirmisher with the spellshield gem? It synergizes pretty well with Wildroot Dancer and wild aura.

beepharoni
12-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Cool decklist man - have you tried out Nelebrin Skirmisher with the spellshield gem? It synergizes pretty well with Wildroot Dancer and wild aura.

thanks Damascus :)

I have not really considered the scout to be honest. I'm looking at it now and I'm thinking it could be a very good fit, although I'm not sure what to substitute to get it into play. I know that i have plans to remove the hex engine for other cards as they are added into the game, having more than 6 resources in my resource pool isn't necessary, unless it's giving me buffs through my wild root dancer. We don't draw enough cards with this deck that we are ever going to say " i need 11 resources to play everything in my hand right now".

Damascus
12-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Hey, if you guys are taking suggestions for future cards to do spicy brews around, I'd love to see what you guys do with Royal Falconer. I made a deck that has it and it's surprisingly fun to play despite the cost, so I'm curious to see what other people can do with it. =D

beepharoni
12-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I do plan on making two Spicy Brew decks in the near future. One with Artifacts, (possibly revisiting my TruFax Deck from pre 815, with some variations), as well as a royal falconer deck. It might be a few days though, as I have been working on my "Diamonds are Forever" deck (mono Diamond). Actually made a few tweaks to it this evening to try and speed it up a bit, and give it a bit more polish.
Videos for this deck can be seen on my Youtube page, but I do plan on doing an article just like the one above, except for the diamond deck.

Hopefully these types of in depth articles / analyses are in demand, and people benefit from our insights.