PDA

View Full Version : Pass Priority after opponent's draw phase?

decoy11
12-01-2013, 06:41 AM
I'm not sure how how pass priority works and how the order should go but i was wondering if we can get a pass priority after the opponent draw phase. I like to play comet strike after they draw a card and not be able to do their first main phase.

Shaqattaq
12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Hi Decoy. There is no priority window between the draw and the main phase. So, the Comet Strike example would not work.

mudkip
12-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Hi Decoy. There is no priority window between the draw and the main phase. So, the Comet Strike example would not work.
Welcome back, Shaqattaq!

Shaqattaq
12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Welcome back, Shaqattaq!

Thanks! Good to be back!

ossuary
12-02-2013, 04:25 PM
So quick question... not that I'm saying by any means Hex should do something just because it's in Magic, but isn't there a chance to respond in MtG between the draw step and 1st main phase? I'm pretty sure there is...

Is there any particular reasoning to NOT have this pause available?

Shaqattaq
12-02-2013, 04:32 PM
So quick question... not that I'm saying by any means Hex should do something just because it's in Magic, but isn't there a chance to respond in MtG between the draw step and 1st main phase? I'm pretty sure there is...

There's a balance that needs to be struck between giving people opportunities for players to interact positively against overwhelming players with phases of the game that are clogging up gameplay. I don't see a ton of upside in providing that window where I do see plenty of downside with the types of effects that players would want to use in that window.

Emergence
12-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Pretty sure there isn't. It's been a while since I went over the phases in MTG, but as I recall the phases in which you can actually play things are upkeep, main 1, combat, main 2. Untap, draw, and discard/cleanup phases don't have any point in which players can play stuff.

ossuary
12-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Pretty sure there isn't. It's been a while since I went over the phases in MTG, but as I recall the phases in which you can actually play things are upkeep, main 1, combat, main 2. Untap, draw, and discard/cleanup phases don't have any point in which players can play stuff.

You know what? You're right. I was thinking of the upkeep step, which is indeed before draw. Once they draw their card they go straight into the first main phase with no chance to do anything. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

Also, Shaq, thanks for the quick answer. As always, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

decoy11
12-03-2013, 11:38 PM
actually mtg has a step where you can play after the draw step but now that I know that we aren't going to follow all the rules from mtg can we have a detailed rule book for Hex any time soon or is that still not set in stone?