PDA

View Full Version : Primer Ruby/Blood Orcs Aggro, flood the board and stomp

Lepel
12-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Hey guys, I've been playing around the Ruby/Blood orcs, having seen so few aggro decks, and so much control I felt like I could get away with playing around with my own life points as long I get big threats on the board. Also the obvious interaction between Zoltog and Fang/Claw of the Mountain God for free 2/1 Savage Raider(whenever they ping you for 1/2 Zoltog's ability triggers) that get boosted with Throat Cutter and are able to attack directly with Furious Taskmaster on board.
It has a great curve allowing to play your hand away fast, but you might need to be carefull with playing to much cards against decks that play Extinction, still tweaking a bit with numbers but I am fairly content with how it is now.

Decklist
Champion: Poca, the Conflagrater or Lionel Flynn
Troops

4 Savage Raiders
4 Fang of the Mountain God
2 Shamed Gladiator with either Speed gem or Dmg to random opposing troop
2 Ruby Pyromancer
3 Furious Taskmaster
4 Throat Cutter
4 Claw of the Mountain God
2 Veteran Gladiator
3 Zoltog (its a unique drawing a extra one could be a dead draw)

Actions
2 Blood Aura
3 Murder
4 Burn
2 Suppresive Fires

Resources
9 Ruby Shard
13 Blood Shard

Through the use of Blood Aura you are able to extend the game a bit until you draw a Suppresive Fire or Veteran Gladiator to be able to ping for the win. Burn and Murder are there to deal with threats, and Burn can also help you get the few last points of damage in.

Im still a bit doubtfull about the Ruby Pyromancer as a Throat Cutter can do almost the same thing and is also a Orc which helps with Zoltog.

Tell me what you guys think, it's a fun and quik deck to play

Lawlschool
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
How often do you get shard screwed / have to mull out a hand? Playing with only 20 shards seems risky, but given that most of the costs are low it might not be as bad as I'm imagining. I like the deck idea though, "throw orcs at the problem until it goes away."

Lepel
12-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Not often, just like you said the low cost prevents most of your manascrew, and being manaflooded for this deck is worse, I would maybe go for 22 mana but I've been doing fine with 20 atm, but I will have to play more game to be 100% sure.

Lepel
12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Mmh have tweaked manabase so works more, also removed unmercifull tormentor as I wasnt always able to empty my hand and it would be a dead draw, might upload videos soon

the_artic_one
12-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Prime blood orb of brutality is illegal with shamed gladiator btw. It's a major gem and he only has a minor socket.

Pseudoradius
12-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I think I played against something like this one time and took quite the beating. I think I should give aggro decks a try :)

Lepel
12-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Prime blood orb of brutality is illegal with shamed gladiator btw. It's a major gem and he only has a minor socket.
Ah that would be the reason it didnt work, I've been having good games against control and most of the time I am too fast for MonoWild

Eierdotter
12-03-2013, 10:45 AM
the blood discard gem does not work,
you could still be a dick and play the ruby rng damage to opposing troops gem in your minor socket orcs.
works nice with the 4/1 blood orc, but som enemys will concede right after you played him, to stop the waste of time game asap.

Lepel
12-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Yeah It's what I've switched to, Its awesome against most decks that have low toughness 1/2 drops

kurtkatt
12-04-2013, 06:31 AM
i removed zoltog from my version of orcz, it kinda felt like a win more card? i also think your mana curve is a bit high? we wanna drop an orc turn 1,2,3, no? tormentor might not be the best early play but its better than no 1 drop and a 2nd 3 drop in your hand instead? he also has the benefit of actually being a decent lategame threat if we are forced that far

Lepel
12-04-2013, 07:17 AM
While it might sound like a win more card, if you dont have a winning situation around turn 4-5 chances are you wont win, but if you play a zoltog with several x of the mountain gods you will "Double" your troops for the next turn. And I do agree on the tormentor somewhat but the other 1,2 and 3 drops are just better in most situations

kurtkatt
12-04-2013, 11:18 AM
actually i might put a couple back in, if u get cleared against control he makes a good one-card clock again tbf. my point with tormentor was more that i think u need more than 8 1 drops to consistenly have them. u could solve it with aggressive mulligans as well but then your 3 drops gonna hurt u even more, no

Eierdotter
12-10-2013, 03:47 AM
Just wanted to add my current B/R Orc Decklist.
Not really a super competitive Deck, due to the fact that Orc is a high risk high reward decktype in general.
Win turn 4/5 on the play with a moderate hand is possible, but on the draw you most likely run into a extinction/heatwave.
But no doupt it is very fun to play with, since it is always a quick game. If you did not win up to turn 6 or 7, usually it is a loss.

Anyhow here the Decklist:
Champion: Gozzog
Shards: (13+11=24)
13 Blood Shard
11 Ruby Shard
Troops: (16+10=26)
4 Fang of the Mountain God
4 Shamed Gladiator (Speed gem)
4 Throat Cutter
4 Xentoth's Inquisitor (Dmg to rnd enemy troop at enter play gem)
3 Savage Raider
4 Furious Taskmaster
2 Veteran Gladiator
1 Zoltog
Actions: (4+6=10)
4 Life Siphon
2 Suppressive Fire
4 Ragefire or Burn

There are no Shards of Fate in the deck, because they do not give a resource when played, and beeing able to play troops as early as possible is crucial in this type of deck.
Double threshold cards (Inquisitor, Zoltog, Ragefire, Life Siphon) are sort of backup cards for the "midgame" or post extinction.
Deal as much dmg in the first turns before Extinction, then Life Siphon for the win is the basic concept idea behind teh deck.
I choose Gozzog over Poca, because he deals 2 damage every game and negates a few hits, you took from the blood orcs. Poca's Elemental sometimes can not be played because you lack the 2 threshold and with 4 charges it is a bit too costly for potential 3 damage (buffed by ruby pyromancer makes it much better in mono ruby).
If you ask why i play 4 Furious Taskmaster, and that they are not that good. You are wrong! He is most likely the strongest card in the deck.
I also do not play the two ruby 3/1 orcs, because it feels like they always get chump blocked and die to it... netting you nothing.

Maybe some people want to try this version out, have fun with it.

Lepel
12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Short update, with the tournaments coming I will be playing this so you might see me under the name Spoon playing this deck.
Went 3-0 on my first one see image haha, but I think the tournament thing is bugged as my friend, Richland, had to drop out in the first round and its still listed as incomplete even after several rounds

Also playing the Shamed gladiator with speed might nog be the best, using the dmg to random opponent gives you a free burn on their creatures with means you get a card of theirs and a creature, with the speed you might be able to even with 2 dmg to you and 2 dmg to him, but if he has a bigger 3 drop you're screwed. The xentoth might be a good addition but the 3 drop slot is a bit filled tbh. I have the same opinion about the 3/1 orcs, but if you play ruby aura they're okay-ish
Life siphon is a great card and might help in a long game, but it might be better to have more troops to secure victory. Hope this helps

the_artic_one
12-12-2013, 03:35 PM
^Prime ruby of destruction is also illegal on shamed (it's a major gem in a minor socketed troop).

Lepel
12-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Mmh good catch, any idea when they will fix these gems?
I dont feel like playing a gem thats illegal. On the other hand I dont see why the card has a minor gem when he has this drawback..

jtatta
12-12-2013, 08:51 PM
You have to either play the Speed gem or the Rage 1 gem with Shamed Gladiator. Using a major gem with him is technically cheating.

Eierdotter
12-13-2013, 02:35 AM
seems that the discussion on the first page did not reflect super clear that
MAJOR gems should not be socketed in MINOR slots...(despite beeing very strong)

Lepel
12-13-2013, 03:15 AM
Yeah got it, playing shamed gladiator with the rage or speed gem isnt worth it imo, going to look for a better 2 drop

jtatta
12-13-2013, 07:15 AM
Shamed Gladiator is perfectly fine with the rage gem, especially considering his ability triggers Zoltog. I don't see what's so bad about attacking with a 3/2 for two starting on turn three that grows each time he attacks.

That said, if you did want to try another two drop, Ruby Pyromancer is the best two drop that Ruby or Blood has access to.