PDA

View Full Version : Part 2 of Fulmination! Ruby/Sapphire Mill from Team Spicy Brews!

Ritter
12-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the addendum to the original Fulmination! Ruby/Sapphire Mill from Team Spicy Brews! (http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=30825) article.

What I am presenting here are the variations you will most likely be playing with for the next few months, and likely into the Beta and full release. I know it is a bold statement to make, but I will say with certainty that there will not be many more Fulmination or Mastery of Time effects on Set 1 cards (if any at all, most likely these are all the ones you are going to get for the entirety of the first rotation which will be 3-4 Sets).

These various packages will make the core of at least 3 sub-archetypes of Ruby/Sapphire Combo decks, all of which will use the cards featured in Package 1 - TMFYCH:

Package 1 - TMFYCH (The most fun you can have) aka The Core

4 Oracle Song
4 Mastery of Time
4 Cerebral Fulmination

This package contains the most basic and powerful effects available in the core shards that will be the center of the deck. Fulmination + Mastery of Time (further referenced as MoT) will allow all further packages to function within the combo shell I am setting up. Oracle Song gives you the 2 for 1 card advantage necessary to burn through your deck, and has already been established as the go-to card drawing spell for Sapphire. Specifically, Oracle Song will be the basic unit of card drawing power, and all further cards introduced will be compared to it in terms of power level. How can I make this claim? MTG has an exact version of this card called Divination, and Divination has been a staple draw spell in multiple Standard Rotations, and continues to see play.

The usual rate for drawing cards is something like 1 mana for 1 card with some selection capability (being able to look at the top 2 cards of your library and get one in hand the other on bottom or something like that). 2 mana usually nets you 1 card with some bonuses attached, or modal alternatives (Draw a card OR target troop gains Lifedrain until end of turn all nicely included on one card). 3 mana will let you draw 2 cards at basic action speed, or 1 card at quick action speed with some minor bonus. 4 mana starts to really show powerful draw spells, but usually no better than the standard Divination in terms of raw draw power, but with some added benefit of getting them at quick action speed, or being able to have a larger selection of cards to choose from.

If you want to see some examples of what I'm talking about, you might look up cards like:

1 cost:
Preordain
Ponder
Serum Visions
Sleight of Hand

2 Cost:
Accumulated Knowledge
Azorious Charm
Impulse

3 Cost:
Divination
Seagate Oracle

4-5 Cost:
Foresee
Fact or Fiction
Stroke of Genius for X=2
Sphinx's Revelation for X=2

This is an EXTREMELY quick list of some cards that I've enjoyed playing with over the last 18 years of MTG, and give you the basic rate you can expect to get from a single card that draws you more cards.

Oracle Song will then most likely be the basic card drawing spell we get for a long stretch. It WILL be the card Sapphire decks play 4x of if they are in the Control/Combo game, and other decks will splash into to gain momentum and basic card advantage.

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/hextcg.gamepedia.com/thumb/2/28/Oracle_Song.png/250px-Oracle_Song.png vs. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=254118&type=card

With that established, we can move to building off of our core:

Package 2 - Pure Mill

4 Chronic Madness
4 Oracle Song
4 Twisted Fate
4 Crazed Rummaging
4 Mastery of Time
4 Cerebral Fulmination
4 Countermagic

This adds to our skeleton by including the only meaningful mill/forced draw effects available to us currently. These additional pieces will most likely change fairly soon, as I don't think Twisted Fate is actually that great, and not what the deck really wants. As more cards are released, options will increase, and I can very easily see different card drawers, ways to stall the game, Countermagic effects replacing Twisted Fate.

Twisted Fate is an exact reprint of a MTG card (Jace's Erasure) that has seen just about no play in tournament quality constructed decks. The effect is just not powerful enough, provides no immediate impact on the board, and gives you a very low rate of return. It is essentially only good once you get your engine up and running, and once that happens... you are probably winning anyway. This won't always be true of course, but I can see it getting squeezed out of builds very easily for more desirable and overall powerful effects.

Maybe Pure Mill is just not where we want to be just yet. Well, while we wait let's look at our other options.

Package 3 - The Mill, side of Ragefire

4 Chronic Madness
4 Oracle Song
4 Ragefire
4 Mastery of Time
4 Cerebral Fulmination

This looks very much like Package 2 - but we cut the Twisted Fate, Crazed Rummaging, and Countermagic for Ragefire. Now, I don't know how much it has been discussed, but Ragefire got hit with the megasuperdoopernerf axe. If you were running it in an aggressive Ruby deck, you got sad panda'd really hard. If you draw 2 copies in a game (aggressive Ruby decks are probably not winning if the game goes very long as their initial rush of small dudes will get outclassed in the mid-late game against decks with sweepers or just overall more powerful cards), you get a total of 6 damage over 2 cards for 4 mana at basic action speed. If you drew 2 Burns, you got 4 damage over 2 cards for 2 mana at quick action speed. Pretty sure the Burns are just superior in that situation, and in just about every situation I can imagine where you want to be aggressive with your Ruby cards.

This means that Ragefire must fit into a totally different build. Ruby yes. Aggressive no. You are going to want to cast Ragefire a minimum of 3 times a game to really see it be better than a slow Burn. To get to 3 Ragefires a game, you are going to need to either draw a lot of cards, slow down the game, or both. That sounds like our overall game plan, so might as well make it all work together.

Of course, you could just bail out of milling altogether, and try to maximize your Ragefiring.

Package 4 - Feel the Burn

4 Burn
4 Oracle Song
4 Ragefire
4 Mastery of Time
4 Cerebral Fulmination

We cut all the mill effects for the basic burn spells available. This lets you try and go for a straight-to-the-dome plan, using your win condition as early removal for potentially dangerous threats (troops).

This is the version I think is still most likely to be good... but it all depends on how the metagame shifts around, and how soon we can expect to play with sideboards and best of 3 matches. As far as sideboarding goes, each Package can be shifted around to accommodate a different package to switch gears out of the sideboard.

Sideboard choices:
Countermagic
Heatwave
Buccaneer
Time Ripple
Plan C
Stormcall
Sapper's Charge
Goblin Cooking Pot

http://hydra-media.cursecdn.com/hextcg.gamepedia.com/thumb/2/2d/Heat_Wave.png/250px-Heat_Wave.png vs. http://8e8460c4912582c4e519-11fcbfd88ed5b90cfb46edba899033c9.r65.cf1.rackcdn.c om/sales/cardscans/MTG/ICE/en/nonfoil/Pyroclasm.jpg
If I was looking to decimate a whole board full of small troops... why not use the go to standard card of choice since 1995?

The list can go on and on depending on how things shape up down the line. I'd also like to add in that I personally love Crimson Clarity in just about EVERY SINGLE OF THESE LISTS, but I get a lot of people telling me they don't get it. This is something you need to play with and really get a feel for before you will accept what I'm telling you. Crimson Clarity is going to be an extremely clutch piece of the combo shell that this deck is working with, and will be in just about every single list you see me play with if it is using the basic core featured in this article. Dark Ritual effects (general term for cards that give more temporary sources than they cost) are amongst the most restricted and banned cards in MTG, and any combo player will tell you they are often the backbone of these types of decks. DO NOT underestimate the power of Crimson Clarity in these shells. But, for the sake of everyone who is too stubborn to take some advice, I have not included them in any shell listing so that you can figure it out all on your own =p

I am very interested to see what people do with the material presented here, as I think we are going to see these strategies just get stronger and more streamlined as time goes on and the card pool increases in size.

DISCLAIMER:
TL : DR - The content provided here is meant to stimulate discussion, and bring up the quality level of Hex content in general. If this is overall something too long for you to be bothered to read, then you are probably not the type of person who is interested in deep and meaningful analysis of Hex brewing. Turn back, and be happy with quickly posted deck lists that have no explanation, no meaningful analysis of card choice, and demonstrate no depth of knowledge. If that is something that sounds appealing to you, I apologize in advance because you won't find that here or with Team Spicy Brews! in general. We strive to be the best by putting forth our best efforts to provide quality content for those that want it.

jimbeem
12-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for posting this, and honestly I expected to see a lot more of this from the community by now.

Edit: so im sittin here playing the burn version of your deck. If there are no creatures on the board turn two and ive got fulmination and ragefire in my hand, I want to get fulmination out first correct? Also if I get mastery of time early what are some prime plays with that card that I should be looking for.

Ritter
12-05-2013, 03:56 AM
If there are no creatures on the board turn two and ive got fulmination and ragefire in my hand, I want to get fulmination out first correct? Also if I get mastery of time early what are some prime plays with that card that I should be looking for.

Make sure to go back and check out the original article as I talk about some of these points and link to the original videos that I run through with a version of the deck.

Briefly though... you just about always want to push out a Fulmination ASAP unless it means you are actively contributing to your next turn death. If there's a clear board, Fulminate as fast as possible and then start to throw Ragefires anywhere you can to get them back into your deck escalated.

I would also highly recommend holding Mastery of Time until the absolute last second. Mastery on its own is not great. You basically get to draw a card and play another source for a 1 card investment that costs 0 to play. If you run it out when there are 2 Fulminations on the board, now its a 0 casting card that says draw 3 cards and you get to play another source for your turn. Huge difference waiting until the board is already set up for you.

jimbeem
12-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Definitely improving on my playing of this deck, got pooped on by curse of oblivion and extinction though.

Ritter
12-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Definitely improving on my playing of this deck, got pooped on by curse of oblivion and extinction though.

Not sure why Extinction was a problem. There's a total of like 2-4 troops in each list I posted (and reposted) on the original thread. You should be happy to see Extinctions, they are basically dead cards against this combo.

Curse is a problem, but I went into detail on the original article about how you might build with multiple threats. My last iteration of the deck included 4x Ragefire, 2x Plan C (which with Mastery of Time can immediately end a game), 2x Storm Colossus. These are all threats that could bring a very quick close to a game, all of which would need a Curse of Omens to stop. If your opponent manages to pull 3 Curses before you can close out the game, then you might consider chocking up those losses to rock, paper, scissor game theory. As I also explained in the original article, well built and piloted control decks should trump combo decks.

Simo46
12-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Love this stuff, great content as always. Howling Brave gives my creature decks a big boost, let alone the immediate impact a Crimson Clarity gives for a combo deck. Scary.

jimbeem
12-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Yea I'm still learning a lot as I play not trying to say the deck is bad. In the game I'm talking about the guy voided my rage fires then I felt a bit lost after that, he was able to extinction my dreamers and colossi as I brought them out and I ended up drawing myself out.

Ritter
12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Yea I'm still learning a lot as I play not trying to say the deck is bad. In the game I'm talking about the guy voided my rage fires then I felt a bit lost after that, he was able to extinction my dreamers and colossi as I brought them out and I ended up drawing myself out.

You need to treat your win conditions as just that, win conditions. They aren't meant to be played on a whim, or without a plan. Storm Colossus is a 6/6 flight spellshield. He has evasion to get around ground troops with flight, and can't be killed with single target removal like Murder, double Persecute, Time Ripple etc. from spellshield. Your plan should be wait wait wait. In one fell swoop, you need to amass a critical turn where you play Colossus, Mastery of Time, Mastery of Time, Mastery of Time, swing 18 and end the game. You could also I suppose wait till you have both Colossus and 2 Mastery. Play the first of each. Swing 6, play second Colossus and Mastery. Swing 12 = 18 total. That can very often be enough since you are throwing it all at them on Mastery of Time turns with no chance for them to Life Siphon in between.

This may not always be realistic, but it IS the plan. If it comes down to something like this, it is not only reasonable, but certainly possible since the decks this is the move against are also the decks that are probably fairly slow if they are messing around with Omens and Extinction in the first place.

jimbeem
12-05-2013, 10:54 PM
You need to treat your win conditions as just that, win conditions. They aren't meant to be played on a whim, or without a plan. Storm Colossus is a 6/6 flight spellshield. He has evasion to get around ground troops with flight, and can't be killed with single target removal like Murder, double Persecute, Time Ripple etc. from spellshield. Your plan should be wait wait wait. In one fell swoop, you need to amass a critical turn where you play Colossus, Mastery of Time, Mastery of Time, Mastery of Time, swing 18 and end the game. You could also I suppose wait till you have both Colossus and 2 Mastery. Play the first of each. Swing 6, play second Colossus and Mastery. Swing 12 = 18 total. That can very often be enough since you are throwing it all at them on Mastery of Time turns with no chance for them to Life Siphon in between.

This may not always be realistic, but it IS the plan. If it comes down to something like this, it is not only reasonable, but certainly possible since the decks this is the move against are also the decks that are probably fairly slow if they are messing around with Omens and Extinction in the first place.

Thanks, Ill keep that in mind.

Ritter
12-09-2013, 07:52 PM
Ok Hex friends, I figured I would take some of my own advice and try out the various cores presented in this article and see how they do. My first run at it is with an updated Fulmination! list that focuses on:

1) Plan A - Mill
2) Plan B - Ragefire recursion until they die in fire
3) Plan C - Plan C (couldn't help myself)

Check out the list

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uhbq6x.jpg

Lots of familiar faces, and some you might not recognize. Twisted Fate is certainly something new from the last time we spoke.

I don't like the card, and I don't think it's the card I wanted when I was talking about a lack of redundant combo pieces. But, since we are still lacking real redundant combo pieces, we work with what we have. If you ever wondered what it was like to mill someone to death using not a single casting of Chronic Madness, we got it here. If you wondered what it would be like to mull to 5 cards and still win the game in a nick of time, we got that too.

Twisted Fulmination Deck Tech (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLY_oVM1jeI&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLgWXVcTP5gzU_tPHO70-ARKv9aEtEi6NO)
Twisted Fulmination - Game 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SbjRjHhZ8I&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLgWXVcTP5gzU_tPHO70-ARKv9aEtEi6NO)
Twisted Fulmination - Game 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So8Ck02zJow&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLgWXVcTP5gzU_tPHO70-ARKv9aEtEi6NO)
Twisted Fulmination - Game 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avngyYYCu4U&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLgWXVcTP5gzU_tPHO70-ARKv9aEtEi6NO)
Twisted Fulmination - Game 4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tyOW_dzZFg&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLgWXVcTP5gzU_tPHO70-ARKv9aEtEi6NO)

This deck also comes with a sideboard that is discussed in the deck tech, and will be used in the upcoming Versus Video Series featuring games between myself and Beeph where we will be testing out decks pre-post sideboard.