PDA

View Full Version : Transmogrify Lodegan!

Lawlschool
12-09-2013, 09:11 PM
First off, this deck isn't that great. It's probably not competitive, and you probably won't win many matches. But oh boy is it fun!

Transmogrify Lodegan! (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=4440)
Champion
Wyatt the Sapper

Troops
4x Prophet of Lodegan
4x Flock of Seagulls
4x Ancestor's Chosen
3x Eldritch Dream (with card draw gem)

Spells
4x Cosmic Transmogrifier
4x Oracle Song
4x Time Ripple
2x Countermagic

Artifacts
4x Bottled Vitae
3x Hex Engine

Shards
24x Sapphire Shards

How to Play
The strategy if this deck is pretty simple: use your card draw and resource acceleration to get out the Prophet, next turn play and activate Cosmic Transmogrifier. Since Lodegan and his echos are cost 7, the turn in to some pretty nasty troops (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/deck=4440&type=Troop&cost=7) (Including Uruunaz!). Activating the transmogrifier the turn after you play Lodegan means you can attack all in with your new super troops. If your opponent doesn't have a way to stop them, it's pretty much GG.

While the strategy is simple, pulling it off is another matter. First off, you need Lodegan and Cosmic Transmogrifier. This is actually kinda easy to do, since you have tons of card draw (Eldritch, Oracle, Vitae + Charge Power). You can also toss your opening hand if it doesn't have Lodegan or Transmogrifier without much worry thanks to all the draw.

Next up, you need to survive long enough to play the combo. Seagulls and Time Ripple are your main source of stalling, as you can wall attackers and bounce any serious threats (also a way to clean up your opponent's board before you transmogrify). The Chosen and their Specters work as chump blockers, and can be a win condition in themselves. Vitae is mostly for the draw and to power your Champ's draw, but the extra health can't hurt. Realistically though, you should expect to take a bit of a beating before you get the combo.

Finally, you need to actually play the combo. Lodegan and a same-turn activation of transmogrifier means you need to have at least 8 resources available. The Hex Engine helps immensely with this, and can help you pull off the combo by turn 6. It's also a solid way to empty your hand, since you will have full hands quite often with this deck. The card draw means you should never be shard starved and the high cost of the combo means you shouldn't be too worried about flood.

Strengths
Eldritch and Chosen are solid cards in their own right, and serve as decent back-up win conditions. The massive amount of card draw means you should always have something to play. You could potentially drop Countermagic for Storm Colossus as a more reliable win condition than Lodegan, but where's the fun in that. The Lodegan + Transmogrifier combo is quite powerful, especially if you transmogrify the turn after Lodgean and can attack in with 4 high power troops. 4 of the 7 seven-cost troops have flying, so you're practically guaranteed a lot of unblockable damage. Unfortunately, Ozawa seems bugged and dies as soon as he resolves (or perhaps before), and Lodegan can become another Lodegan (that doesn't trigger), so there are a couple dud transformations right now. Though the main focus is to transmogrify Lodegan, all your other stuff can change in to some pretty solid cards as well.

Weaknesses
Lots. It's a highly involved and slow combo, so a lot can go wrong. Fast aggro can likely burn you down before you get the combo off, and even if you do you might not live long enough to use your new troops to win. Mill is obviously an enemy, as you burn through your deck fast enough as is. You also run the risk of transmogrifying something good for your opponent (got a guy a Briggadon one game), but as long as your opponent has less high cost cards (or just less cards in general) you should be alright. And of course, Extinction totally ruins your plans. I include a couple Countermagic mostly to counter an Extinction, but you probably won't have enough left over resources after playing Lodegan to use it. I'll probably drop them out for either more defense or for a couple Storm Colossus.

Final Thoughts
This isn't a particularly good or competitive deck, but it's a fun deck. I have more fun playing it than any other, and the people I've used it on have fun playing against it. It's kinda hard to get mad at a deck this crazy! It's also nice to use something different. Keep in mind though, that Cosmic Transmogrifier can produce some bugged results. But try this out, and have some fun!

Nekrabyte
12-09-2013, 11:00 PM
ive been playing a similar deck for a few weeks now... only real differences is instead of using time ripple and counterspell ive been using mesmerize and dingler.... the troop will stay exhausted even after transmogrified, and the dingler is great if your opponent has a troop that costs 5 or 6 before you transmogrify, because it will then be a random 2 cost troop instead.

Lawlschool
12-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Oh nice, good ideas! Dingler/Mesmerize do seem a lot more useful than time-ripple.

HyenaNipples
12-10-2013, 08:31 AM
I've had someone pull this combo off against me a while ago. It was pretty hilarious.

Lawlschool
12-10-2013, 11:36 AM
I've had someone pull this combo off against me a while ago. It was pretty hilarious.

It really is. I can just imagine people thinking, "Why the hell is he playing ramp in Saph? Why the hell did he just play Lodegan? Why did he just, ohhhh damn that's neat!" And then most of the time I lose. But hey, if you're gonna lose, lose in style!

Avaian
12-10-2013, 05:58 PM
I have a Transmogrify deck similar to this, named 'Transmogro', except it only has Prophet of Lodegan and Buccaneer as Troops and everything else is card draw or control, No ramp either.

I have not played it too much due to it being really slow (8 turns fastest) and the Counterspell sync issues on top of it made it slightly boring.

However the few games I played against players it was fairly successful, but has several glaring weaknesses. Dropping a Prophet of Lodegan at 7 resources and the next turn playing a 8th resource and Transmogrify was always enjoyable.

Lawlschool
12-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Dropping a Prophet of Lodegan at 7 resources and the next turn playing a 8th resource and Transmogrify was always enjoyable.

Oh yeah, that's the only way to do it. Makes it a fun surprise if they don't know what's going to happen.

I'm going to try Nekra's idea and put in mesmerize and poly instead of Buc and Time Ripple. I tend to prefer aggro to control, so I think I'm gonna keep in Edritch and Ancestor though. Played a good game against a friend where the Specters acted as really good walls/chump blockers. They annoy me sometimes since they're rarely what I want to draw, but they act as a cantrip and it rarely hurts to have a 2/2 flyer on board.

jimbeem
12-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Been playing with this deck and getting it going reliably, but both Urunaaz and especially Ozawa are pretty worthless... Ozawa dies instantly for whatever reason, and anything unique kills off its other copies so I end up down at maybe 1 or 2 7 mana creatures.

SacrificialToast
12-18-2013, 09:29 AM
I was toying around with a Sapphire/Blood version of something like this. Having a few constants on the table with Cosmic Transmogrifier can make a pretty brutal follow up to Extinction, and if one of those constants is Hideous Conversion, you can pull it off earlier than usual.

Avaian
12-18-2013, 09:58 AM
I was toying around with a Sapphire/Blood version of something like this. Having a few constants on the table with Cosmic Transmogrifier can make a pretty brutal follow up to Extinction, and if one of those constants is Hideous Conversion, you can pull it off earlier than usual.

Thats an interesting Idea, I may play around with it to see if I can make a deck I like with Blood/Sapphire Transmogrifier.

Lawlschool
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Thats an interesting Idea, I may play around with it to see if I can make a deck I like with Blood/Sapphire Transmogrifier.

Yeah I second that, kinda want to try Transmog as an anti-extinction now. Does seem like a decent, if not risky, way to counter an Extinction.

psycoache
01-02-2014, 05:21 PM

This is my Blood/Sapphire Transmogrifier version:

Troops:
4x Prophet of Lodegan
4x Flock of Seagulls
4x Ancestor's Chosen
Spells
4x Cosmic Transmogrifier
4x Oracle Song
4x Murder
3x Infernal Professor
2x Persecute
2x Necessary Sacrifice

Artifacts:
3x Hex Engine
2x Bottled Vitae

Shard
12x Sapphire Shard
12x Blood Shard

DackFayden
01-03-2014, 01:00 AM
This is my Blood/Sapphire Transmogrifier version:

Troops:
4x Prophet of Lodegan
4x Flock of Seagulls
4x Ancestor's Chosen
Spells
4x Cosmic Transmogrifier
4x Oracle Song
4x Murder
3x Infernal Professor
2x Persecute
2x Necessary Sacrifice

Artifacts:
3x Hex Engine
2x Bottled Vitae

Shard
12x Sapphire Shard
12x Blood Shard

Technically it is a bug that cards like infernal professor don't affect the cost of the transmorgification. Maybe once they fix the permament cost issue or even before consider running Xenoth's inquisitor w/ Blue shards. I have a similar version of this deck, but I run extinctions and inquisitors instead of Flock, -2 murder, -1 necessary sac.