PDA

View Full Version : Blood Savant BASIC ability intentional? If so, I ask you please reconsider.

Kolokee
12-11-2013, 10:32 PM
http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/BloodSavant.jpg

I've always enjoyed the "Shade" ability, but only being able to use this ability at basic action speed is pretty darn pathetic and is just plain un-fun in my opinion.

My reasoning for this is as follows.

He can't be pumped in response to any burn spells.
As a blocker he's a 0/1 un-pumpable chump.
As an attacker you have to invest your temporary resources into him before you attack, giving the opponent a ton of information before they make their blocking decisions. Also, by consuming most or all of your resources before combat, you are announcing that you most likely don't have or can't play any tricks of your own while simultaneously making him very susceptible to opposing tricks.

I'm not looking for an OP remake of the guy, I just think his ability restricted to basic speed is too underpowered to the point that he's not playable. Which is a shame for such a fun mechanic. I eagerly request his ability be changed to quick action speed.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

-Kolokee

down2one
12-11-2013, 11:16 PM
+1
and at uncommon rarity at that :P

funktion
12-11-2013, 11:19 PM
Yeah this had seemed odd to me as well. I guess I'd say, "Why restrict him so much?"

Eierdotter
12-12-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm not looking for an OP remake of the guy, I just think his ability restricted to basic speed is too underpowered to the point that he's not playable. Which is a shame for such a fun mechanic. I eagerly request his ability be changed to quick action speed.

lets face it, with basic speed he is rather useless until super lategame, where you are topdecking.
but in draft a quickaction would be quite strong...

mortikal
12-12-2013, 03:10 AM
lets face it, with basic speed he is rather useless until super lategame, where you are topdecking.
but in draft a quickaction would be quite strong...

It is strong but by no means unbeatable. shade abilities in the past had to be pumped beyond this to even be good in limited.

HyenaNipples
12-12-2013, 06:07 AM
I've had it used against me, and it can be punishing at the beginning of the game. There are several other cards which provide the quick action version of this ability: Hellhound and Experimental War Hulk are examples. They offer quick action boosts, but only of attack. Thus Blood Savant is unique in offering a different tactical challenge than those other cards.

The limit of the Blood Savant's boost to a basic speed is a deliberate limit to the power of its ability, as so far, its the only card in the game that gives itself boosts both of its stats for 1 resource! The challenge is to figure out a way to exploit that, and that offers a chance for exploration to the player.

Svenn
12-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Yeah, I had this guy in one of my decks until I realized it was a Basic Action and quickly dumped him. It's not a terrible ability as it is, but it is kind of weak.

Ju66ernaut
12-12-2013, 07:50 AM
With three blood threshold on the ability, it seems like a card geared for late game. I haven't played this card; but as I see it, there is no limit to how many times you can pump him in a turn. So if you have 8 resources at your disposal you can pump him up to be an 8/9 heavy hitter for the turn. I don't see anything wrong with that. He's cheap to get on the board and can do some heavy damage or be set up as a beefy blocker.

EntropyBall
12-12-2013, 08:46 AM
With three blood threshold on the ability, it seems like a card geared for late game. I haven't played this card; but as I see it, there is no limit to how many times you can pump him in a turn. So if you have 8 resources at your disposal you can pump him up to be an 8/9 heavy hitter for the turn. I don't see anything wrong with that. He's cheap to get on the board and can do some heavy damage or be set up as a beefy blocker.

If its a Basic Action, I don't think you can make him a beefy blocker, since you couldn't activate it on your opponent's turn. He's seems pretty limited to me, especially when compared to the MTG equivalent which I think is a 1/1 for 3 that costs 1 to pump at action speed.

Lawlschool
12-12-2013, 08:59 AM
He's a 3/4 on turn 3, which isn't something to laugh at. That stomps over most aggro troops at that point, especially if you went first and they've only played a 2 drop. Your opponent has to either take 3, or chump block. And he can keep doing this each turn. If he's not removed, he could be a pretty big threat. And if you draw him late game, in a blood aggro deck he can soak up your extra shards. It's definitely an aggro card, and he seems balanced for an aggro card. You're right that he's a terrible blocker, he's susceptible to removal, and you can't really hold combat tricks with him, but that's the balance for him being a pretty powerful attacker. You don't really need him as a blocker if he's attacking every turn, most aggro decks don't usually rely on defensive combat tricks, and he needs some weakness to removal, just like everything else around his level. He's not a great card for Blood Control, but seems pretty solid for Blood Aggro.

And there's nothing wrong with his restrictions. Not every card needs to be as awesome as it could be.

Lepel
12-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Aggro decks rely on dumping multiple threats, if you have one 3/4 on turn 3 for only your turn thats not as scary as a 5/4 for the same resources cost, a 2/2 of 2/1 for 1 resources and a 2/2 or something for 2 resources. Also if you dump all your mana in this creature you have nothing left to cast other cards with.. This card does not work with aggro deck

Maphalux
12-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I've pretty much felt the blood savant was a mediocre card since it was first shown. In my opinion, temporary pump abilities like these are a major waste of resources early on in the game when these abilities would actually matter. But at least its ability costs only one now. It used to be more.

This is not an aggro card but the fact its ability is basic means R&D thinks this is an aggro card. Respectfully, they are wrong.

Aggro wants to play down more troops and overwhelm the opponent. Not throw their resources into this guy. Later on in the game, when you have the resources to spare, aggro has already won or lost. Basic speed pump means this is not a very good control option since you can't pump him to block so this card really doesn't have much of a place other than filler in a draft deck.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Not every card can be an MVP.

Insanomous
12-12-2013, 05:07 PM
The only thing I can think of is to give him the lifegain enchant, then you're doing a lot of damage AND gaining life with those pumps. Though since it is a basic action, I think the threshold of the ability is too high.

Entityofsin
12-12-2013, 06:13 PM
It doesn't need Lifedrain. Maybe 2 threshold though but even then that's kind of a stretch.

Lawlschool
12-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Not that there is anything wrong with that. Not every card can be an MVP.

Exactly. It's not a great card, but it doesn't need to be. All this talk does make me want to try him out though. Maybe there's some niche way to make him great. Otherwise, he seems to just be a draft filler card for blood.

Zomnivore
12-14-2013, 03:51 AM
I think his ability is fine....if he wasn't an 0/1

Give him at least some ability to beat in at 1 dmg. Especially if he's basic.

escapeRoute
12-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Its just a bad designed card or an intentionally bad card... If it was quick action like it has allways been in magic well, it could hold a spot in some dexks... As it is the card is worth less than nothing

I would understand if he was a 1/1 or even a 2/1 (a bit off the curve but not op at all due to the nature of his ability as a basic action) it vould have been a possible card... Not good and neither bad... But as it is its a filler for a +1 in the set

Eierdotter
12-16-2013, 05:31 AM
played against this card once.
it is annoying
he swings for high numbers each turn, like every other big troop that you could play at this point
but as the opponent you do not want to "waste" a murder, etc for this guy.

a strange card in constructed for sure...