PDA

View Full Version : Sabotage and Curse of Oblivion

nilihanth
12-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I didn't see a post about this anywhere, so here goes.

Consider the text of the booby trap card created by Sabotage: "If this artifact would leave your deck, void it instead. When you do, it deals 5 damage to you."

Now consider Curse of Oblivion: "Look at target champion's deck and choose a non-resource card. Void it and each other card with the same name from their deck."

I tried the combination of casting Sabotage in turn 3, then Curse of Oblivion on turn 4 to remove the booby traps from the deck, causing 20 damage. The act of voiding (in my mind, removing) the booby traps from the opponents deck did not fire off each trap's 5 damage.

The question is, bug or no bug? I could see this going either way, but the way I lean toward is that it should proc the booby trap. The act of voiding the card from the Curse of Oblivion fits the "if this artifact would leave your deck" text. On that same token, a turn 4 kill does seem a bit overpowered. ;)

So, either a specific ruling that voiding cards from a deck does not translate to "leaving" said deck, or the wording of Booby Trap should be changed to something like, "If this artifact would leave your deck to your hand, battlefield, or discard pile, void it instead and it deals 5 damage to you."

What do you think?

Entityofsin
12-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Could be a bug.

I don't really dwell on this stuff very much. Honestly, I would just like to see Booby Trap reworded to mean that it activates if drawn from the deck. Cause instantly doing 20 to possibly 80 damage with one single Curse of Oblivion is kind of silly.

Hex doesn't need One Turn Kill strategies. At least I don't feel that it needs any. lol

Eierdotter
12-12-2013, 04:53 PM
known since 2 hours after curse of oblivion got added.

posted several times in the bug forums

works as intended, booby traps need a rewording to "if this card would enter your hand or graveyard, ..."

nilihanth
12-12-2013, 07:44 PM

works as intended, booby traps need a rewording to "if this card would enter your hand or graveyard, ..."Thanks for the faintly patronizing information :) I wonder why I couldn't find it in my searches...hmmm. Regardless, it's good to know that the issue is known and that it is possible the booby traps will get re-worded.

ossuary
12-12-2013, 09:44 PM
You can't say "works as intended," Eierdotter. That's your opinion. As worded, Curse of Oblivion should cause all 4 Booby Traps to trigger. The decision CZE makes may indeed be to reword the card, but we don't know that... we just know that right now, something is wrong with it.

Booby Trap also has a problem with Relentless Corruption. The card reads "if this artifact would leave your deck," but drawing a Booby Trap from your opponent's deck with RC damages you instead of him, even though it's his deck the Booby Trap left. This is clearly a bug as well.

These have all been reported though. The list of known bugs google doc is a little outdated, and cluttered, and for some reason not everyone has access to edit it. Hopefully at some point CZE will put up an official, properly maintained bug list so they are easier to keep track of, and easier to search on. :)

BenRGamer
12-12-2013, 10:14 PM

works as intended, booby traps need a rewording to "if this card would enter your hand or graveyard, ..."

No, it does not. It used to be that, it was changed away from that for a reason. They need to specify in Curse of Oblivion that it doesn't let the cards activate any effects.

Eierdotter
12-13-2013, 02:38 AM
Well if Curse of Oblivion should trigger Booby Traps,
then i am 100% sure what the Metagame will look like.
And i will loose all my faith in CZE to avoid broken combos.
(since they stated this goal a lot of times)

Entityofsin
12-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Even if Curse of Oblivion triggered Booby Traps, it would have been patched already if it actually slipped through any checks and balances that they have in place. Sometimes that happens. It's kind of silly to lose faith in a company when that happens anyways. It's whether they change it in a time frame that's acceptable or not and all of that is subjective anyways. Stuff like this will happen in the future I'm sure long after the game is released and there's a nice sizable card pool to play with. It's inevitable to happen in every TCG. It's Alpha anyways and in a month or two Beta. It only matters if these sort of things never get addressed and are in the release of the game.

jimbeem
12-16-2013, 09:04 AM
I didn't see a post about this anywhere, so here goes.

Consider the text of the booby trap card created by Sabotage: "If this artifact would leave your deck, void it instead. When you do, it deals 5 damage to you."

Now consider Curse of Oblivion: "Look at target champion's deck and choose a non-resource card. Void it and each other card with the same name from their deck."

I tried the combination of casting Sabotage in turn 3, then Curse of Oblivion on turn 4 to remove the booby traps from the deck, causing 20 damage. The act of voiding (in my mind, removing) the booby traps from the opponents deck did not fire off each trap's 5 damage.

The question is, bug or no bug? I could see this going either way, but the way I lean toward is that it should proc the booby trap. The act of voiding the card from the Curse of Oblivion fits the "if this artifact would leave your deck" text. On that same token, a turn 4 kill does seem a bit overpowered. ;)

So, either a specific ruling that voiding cards from a deck does not translate to "leaving" said deck, or the wording of Booby Trap should be changed to something like, "If this artifact would leave your deck to your hand, battlefield, or discard pile, void it instead and it deals 5 damage to you."

What do you think?

What do I think? I think you are high, that combo would be so ridiculously OP.

jtatta
12-16-2013, 01:55 PM
I think it's pretty clear that it's currently working as intended by not triggering the Traps. To clarify that either Booby Trap or Curse of Oblivion needs rewording. Or both.

ossuary
12-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Well Booby Trap already got reworded once. It used to say "If this artifact would enter your hand or graveyard..." Reginald Lancashire still says that, in his not-finished state. Now BT says "If this artifact would leave your deck," which is a significantly different mechanic. The rewording suggests they at the very least intend for cards that steal cards from your opponent to still set off the Booby Trap on them (like Relentless Corruption).

I can't remember if it was in this thread or one of the other Sabotage or Curse of Oblivion threads, but I think the easiest way to fix this particular interaction to avoid an insta-death combo, while still allowing all of the other interactions that Sabotage is supposed to allow, would just be to add a sentence to Curse of Oblivion: "Cards voided by Curse of Oblivion do not trigger any additional effects."

The problem with the current wording is that Booby Trap's "void it instead and it deals 5 damage to you" is a replacement effect. It ignores and replaces any other event that's supposed to be happening so long as it meets the requirement of "leaving" your deck. By definition, discarding, drawing, voiding, or stealing a card all cause it to leave the deck. So unless they want to re-reword Booby Trap (and Reggie!), Curse of Oblivion is the only obvious problem in this scenario, and therefore the only card that actually needs to be updated.