PDA

View Full Version : Rhino-Raptors Are Runnin Wild!

BenRGamer
12-13-2013, 10:58 AM
This is one of my upper tier decks I'm working on, an Inspire Rhino deck with Raptors thrown in for funzies, I might throw it in a tournament if you see me, but I edit decks constantly so I can't say it'll be the same. Reserve cards are in parentheses.

Champion: Lionel Flynn

Resources:
10x Wild
10x Ruby
4x Shards of Fate

Troops:
4x Howling Brave
4x Pack Raptor
4x Moon'ariu Sensei
4x Ruby Pyromancer
4x Ruby Enchantress
4x Lord Alexander, the Courageous
(4x Gas Troll)

Actions:
4x Crash of Beasts
4x Ragefire
(4x Burn)
(3x Nature Reigns)

Artifacts:
2x Secret Lab
2x Bottled Vitae
(3x Chaos Key)

Constant:
4x Cerebral Fulmination

Basically, get Cerebral Fulmination and as much draw as you can and get Crash of Beasts out as often as you can--preferably with Lord Alexander out so they'll all have speed. Don't play Pack Raptor unless you're either confident you don't need to draw any more resources, or that you're going to win so it won't matter, or you have Cerebral Fulmination out for the extra draw.

If you come up against anyone who either has a way to abuse Fulmination better than you or has the Castigator, replace Fulmination with Burn and Pack Raptor with Gas Troll, add in Nature Reigns if they have a tough artifact/enchantment that you need to take care of, and Chaos Key if they have Briggadon.

Entityofsin
12-13-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't think the deck is bad. Just some things that don't really add up to me. So explain in further detail if you think it will help.

Crash of Beasts, Ruby Enchantress, and Lord Alex are the only cards that the 3 cost Inspires are going to give their effects to each other. Everything else isn't and Ruby Pyromancer is only going to give its effect to 2 cost and higher. Command Tower in this instance would be better since it gives +1 attack to everything for 1 more resource cost.

You also aren't using Verdant Wyldeboar and I'm not even sure why you aren't. It has speed already, the turn you play the little guy he can attack for potentially 4 damage and is a low cost card. Since he gets shuffled back into the deck you can draw him with Fulmination and he's then a 8/8 2 cost. That's really damn good and too good to pass up in this particular type of deck.

Just my thoughts on the deck.

escapeRoute
12-13-2013, 12:47 PM
i wouldnt use raptors with crash of beasts... they really fight with each other i think... i mean.. if u swarm ur deck with raptors its unlikely that u will draw the crash of beasts, making it nothing more than a 3/3 with cost 3... and not taking in the benefits...

and for 3 mana u can have better creatures

but thats how i feel it

BenRGamer
12-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I might go with Command Tower, but basically my win conditions are Lord Alexander + Crash of Beasts, or Pack Raptors + Cerebral Fulmination--that's why I have both, separate win conditions I can go after depending on how the game is going and what my initial draw is like, like I said, you have to be strategic when you play Pack Raptors as otherwise it can mess you up.

Verdant Wyldeboar would be a good troop to put in there, but I don't know what to drop to put it in. Maybe Ragefire, but then I wouldn't have any removal.

Entityofsin
12-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't drop Ragefire for Wyldeboar. Ragefire simply has too much versatility in a deck like this that can draw like crazy. It builds up in damage after only a couple uses and with how much draw cards you have it wouldn't be a good idea. I'd drop the Raptors for the Wyldeboars though since they're a win condition by themselves minus the fattening side effect of the Raptors.

I'd drop Enchantress (honestly you don't really need Swiftstrike IMO and Embershire Witch is better anyways) for Wild Root Dancer. A +2/+2 here and there is powerful and it combos well with Lord Alex, Rhinos, Wyldeboars, and even your Howling Braves and Sensai. Wild Root Dancer just makes all your Troops a lot better and puts you closer to lethal ranges.

Just some stuff to consider. But I do believe Pack Raptors is a card that needs to have a deck made around only it.

BenRGamer
12-13-2013, 03:02 PM
I think Pack Raptor combos too well with Cerebral Fulmination to drop, though. I mean, Pack Raptors only real weaknesses are that: One, if you don't have draw, they grow too slowly, and Two, even if you do have draw, the extra clutter of the raptors means you won't be able to draw it. Cerebral Fulmination solves both of those.

As for dropping the Enchantress for WRD, I don't want to drop another ruby card after the Pyromancer--not that I particularly like the enchantress, but it would make the deck unbalanced between the two shards, and that ups the chance I'll get get threshold starved.

mudkip
12-13-2013, 03:11 PM
4x Pack Raptor
4x Crash of Beasts
4x Ragefire

You've got too many cards that rely on being re-drawn.

BenRGamer
12-13-2013, 09:25 PM
You've got too many cards that rely on being re-drawn.

That's why I have a lot of draw, Moon'ariu Sensei, Bottled Vitae, Secret Lab, and Cerebral Fulmination.

escapeRoute
12-14-2013, 06:34 AM
That's why I have a lot of draw, Moon'ariu Sensei, Bottled Vitae, Secret Lab, and Cerebral Fulmination.

the thing u dont understand is that IF u have so many cards that, to be usefull, need to be redrawn, more often then not u will draw them in sequence thus making them less effective...

lets make an example... i have a deck of 60 cards with 4 crash of beasts... i draw 7 and one of those cards is a crash of beast... i play it, now i have 4 chances over 54 remaining cards to redrawn a more powerful and thus possibly win condition crash of beast...

second example: i have ur deck... in the first 7 cards i find a crash of beast, a ragefire and a pack raptor... i play one of each, and now i have 4 chances over 58 to draw a carsh of beast... 4 over 58 to draw a ragefire and 7 over 58 to draw a pack raptor...

it doesnt matter if u have more draws... cause, with 2 draws a turn u would actually doble the chances of drawing a carsh of beast in the original example while, in the second, u would still double the chances of doung so but u would double a smaller chance than the first one... since 4 over 54 its bigger than 4 over 58... everytime u play one of the other 2 cards, u lower that chance a bit thus making it less effective and, lets be sincere... of the 3 cards u want to play crash of beast is the only one u can safely rely to win games (cause ragefire and pack raptro rarely are game winners, they can be, but they are way less powerfull)

ragefire wouldnt matter too much in the grand scale of things till later in the game (assuming crash of beast is ur first choice card, but this discussion can work either way).. early on it would lover ur chances not enough to make it worth the bother... but raptor... that hits ur chances of ragefire or chrash of beast quite a lot there,,, and each time u have to either choose to have a dead draw in ur hand hugghing to ur raptor OR play it and make it less and less possible to win any other decent win condition.... a burn the ground would be A LOT more effective as a secondary win condition in this case... a lot more

u can double the draws as much as u want... this thing will still be true.. without the ragefire and the raptors u will be more likely to hit the ground with a 3 ora 4 rhinos crash of beast than u would be with ragefire and pack raptor... end of story... and the more the game goes on.. the more this becomes true raising ur chances exponentially

(sry for my english)

BenRGamer
12-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Well, like I said, Raptors are more situational--they're basically a win condition on their own if I get them out with Cerebral Fulmination. If I don't have things ready, I hold them back until I do.

If I can play two or three raptors every turn, how can my opponent answer that?

mudkip
12-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Cerebral Fulmination
You need to remember the double-edged nature of Cerebral Fulmination. Someone will likely correct me here, but Cerebral Fulmination works best for fast aggro decks. All of the escalation padding will slow you down.

Answer this: how will Cerebral Fulmination card advantage you more than your opponent?

That's unlikely to happen.

escapeRoute
12-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, like I said, Raptors are more situational--they're basically a win condition on their own if I get them out with Cerebral Fulmination. If I don't have things ready, I hold them back until I do.

as i did to a guy just 2 days ago, call of oblivion, next turn extintion... wich with ur cerebral fulmination in play wouldnt be that improbable at all since u double up my draws too

THEN u would have ur second win condition.. but at that time u allready gave a control deck enough time to build up and enough draws to do that in a pretty confortable way... and u are probably screwed

same for early aggro monored

and with the other decks where ur combo actually works u will allmost never be able to use the crash of beast properly... so i dont get the point of it being there.. thats all

apart from that i find the deck is pretty fun, i did some sort of similar deck some days ago (without the crash of beast and ragefire)

poizonous
12-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I really dont see this deck being a top tier deck considering what everyone else has already stated. Yes you have 2 Win conditions (Although I have never seen A pack raptor beat me) but the problem is your 2 win conditions conflict with themselves. Your crowding your deck with Raptors which lowers your other win condition chances of being redrawm. I will give you a scenario...

Opening Hand with this deck

3 Resources
2 Pack Raptors
2 Crash of Beasts

Your 1st 2 turns you play pack raptors.... You now have 10 raptors in deck (61 cards total in Deck at this point, 62 if on the play)
Next turn you play crash of beasts, it shuffles back into deck. (Now 3 out of 61 cards are crash of beasts... a .48% chance of drawing 1)
Your opponent proceeds to extinct your field. Now your hand might consist of lets say 1 more Crash of beasts, 1 Pack raptor, 2 shards, 1 ragefire.

Are you going to tell me you like your chances in winning this game with a .48% chance of drawing a Crash and a 1.35% chance of drawing a Raptor??? The problem with this scenario is that raptors being a higher chance than Crash of BEasts is bad since against control decks you cant expect your field to ever have over 2/3 raptors.

Edit: Also you must remember every pack raptor you play, continues to lower your odds of hitting a Crash of Beasts by .075% or .05% with a fulmination on the field.

BenRGamer
12-14-2013, 04:43 PM
as i did to a guy just 2 days ago, call of oblivion, next turn extintion...

To be honest, the same thing could be said about any decks around a couple of combos. It's why I have the sideboard.

The first time I made the deck, the first game I played with it, before the Escalation Nerf, I won the game by playing 8 Rhinos with speed.

The game after that I won with 4 Rhinos with Speed.

It's a powerful combo to pull off. I added Raptors later to try to find something else to do with all the draw. I'll see how I can rework it.

BenRGamer
12-15-2013, 09:41 PM
After reworking the deck a bit I've got this,

Resources:
10x Wild
10x Ruby
4x Shards of Fate

Troops:
3x Unmerciful Tormentor
3x Veteran Gladiator
4x Lord Alexander
3x Howling Brave
3x Verdant Wyldebeast
3x Moon'ariu Sensei
3x Wild Root Dancer

Actions:
4x Burn
4x Crash of Beasts

Constants:
4x Cerebral Fulmination

Artifacts:
2x Secret Lab
4x Command Tower

Total Cards: 64

VeScorp
12-16-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm playing ruby-wild on the tournament, but I've considered to get into slower, though more reliable strategy
The raptors are basically bad, just because they lower your chances of drawing something viable in mid-late game - and it's pretty uncommon that you will get more than 2 of then against the opponent who is not trying to cosplay a vegetable
Ragefire is definitely worse than burn in maindeck, thugh you might consider sideboarding it (I've chosen burn to the ground over ragefire just because you can play only 2 in maindeck and they still will be useful)

You might consider reading one of the latest HEXTCGPRO articles about clunkyness (http://hextcgpro.com/avoiding-or-accepting-clunkyness/) - that really explains what i don't like in those card choices

And I'm not playing shards of fate - because not having the resource availible when you play it really hits this deck's playability.

VeScorp
12-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Also, playing over 60 cards means than the 61st card will be worse than first 60 ones because it will lower your chances of drawing those

Though, in WoW TCG i've always played 61 card having 1 singleton to surprise the opponent