PDA

View Full Version : Escalation Thought

Yubar
12-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Any thoughts on having escalations effect only apply to the casted card and not all of the copies in your deck? Seems more balanced to me. No need to compare the card stats as they are now with this feature, because the cards could ofcourse be buffed upwards if this design change were to happen.

Falaris
12-14-2013, 12:04 AM
Any thoughts on having escalations effect only apply to the casted card and not all of the copies in your deck? Seems more balanced to me. No need to compare the card stats as they are now with this feature, because the cards could ofcourse be buffed upwards if this design change were to happen.

It doesnt need another nerf.

Handsofevil
12-14-2013, 12:25 AM
What is with the recent threads saying Escalation needs another nerf? Quite a few people thought the original Escalation cards were fine the way they were originally "printed". The only Escalation card that I think needs any changes is Crash. All other escalation cards are weak on their first one or two casts, where Crash is balanced on it's first cast. It starts to be quite strong on the second cast.

Having it only buff the one card would make it useless. I know I would no longer play any escalation card with this change.

tl;dr - no

Mahes
12-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Escalation is fine the way it is now. It was to strong before the last nerf.

Eierdotter
12-14-2013, 11:38 AM
this would be a good idea if the escalation cards are common
but since they are rare, it is not necessary to nerf them to beeing unplayable

YourOpponent
12-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Escalation cards I think are fine as is...before I also considered them to be fine, but escalation would of been pretty deadly in limited...now it is more balanced for both Constructed ad Limited.

Also anybody else find it interesting that the people that are wanting escalation nerfed now would also want it to be stronger once PvE comes out?

Handsofevil
12-14-2013, 10:00 PM
... but escalation would of been pretty deadly in limited...now it is more balanced for both Constructed ad Limited.

Huh?

Gwaer
12-14-2013, 11:07 PM
'cause limited only requires a 40 card deck maybe? I really am not sure where he's going.

poizonous
12-14-2013, 11:15 PM
I cant see Escalation being good in Limited. I mean 1 out of 40 is not better than 4 out of 60... and I really doubt people will ever see more than 2 Escalation cards, especially the same 1 in a draft

Gwaer
12-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Agreed, though if you do manage to nab 2 in limited you're pretty close I think, and if you nab 3 then you're better off... But what are the odds of that?

shocker455
12-15-2013, 02:48 AM
Well they are all rares so its gonna be nearly imposable 2 grab 2.

Kinda disappointing, but probably for the best.

hex_colin
12-15-2013, 06:43 AM
What is with the recent threads saying Escalation needs another nerf? Quite a few people thought the original Escalation cards were fine the way they were originally "printed". The only Escalation card that I think needs any changes is Crash. All other escalation cards are weak on their first one or two casts, where Crash is balanced on it's first cast. It starts to be quite strong on the second cast.

Having it only buff the one card would make it useless. I know I would no longer play any escalation card with this change.

tl;dr - no

I was just thinking that Crash of Beasts is pretty strong on the first cast compared to the others. I was thinking about ways it could be reworked a little. Perhaps having the ATK/DEF equal to the Escalation number and reducing the cost (not the threshold) by 1? So, you get a 1/1, then 2 2/2's, the 3 3/3's, etc. Weak on the first cast, competitive on the second, starting to get scary on cast 3,...

escapeRoute
12-15-2013, 07:07 AM
I was just thinking that Crash of Beasts is pretty strong on the first cast compared to the others. I was thinking about ways it could be reworked a little. Perhaps having the ATK/DEF equal to the Escalation number and reducing the cost (not the threshold) by 1? So, you get a 1/1, then 2 2/2's, the 3 3/3's, etc. Weak on the first cast, competitive on the second, starting to get scary on cast 3,...

well it would be pretty useless at the first cast, still weak at the second... decent on the third (but at the time of the cast pointless probably since late in the game)... and we would start talking bout something on the 4th cast (if we are talking bout one creature... if it grows in number of creatures too its another story)

but, actually, i think that, if u really want to nerf it but still let it be viable.. u just need to make them 3/2 with crush... it would be more than balanced at that point, no need to further nerf

i dont see it necessary since in normal decks the 3 rhinos situation will happen rarely, but still i can see a good reason for it to happen, but the first option was just terribad if u allow me to say that :P

hex_colin
12-15-2013, 07:14 AM
well it would be pretty useless at the first cast, still weak at the second... decent on the third (but at the time of the cast pointless probably since late in the game)... and we would start talking bout something on the 4th cast (if we are talking bout one creature... if it grows in number of creatures too its another story)

but, actually, i think that, if u really want to nerf it but still let it be viable.. u just need to make them 3/2 with crush... it would be more than balanced at that point, no need to further nerf

Isn't that the general idea about Escalation though? It's not really worth it (Cost/Threshold) on the first cast, it's pretty much on the right power level on the second cast, and then it starts getting really valuable on subsequent casts?

Not even saying it needs changing, but, unlike the other Escalation cards, Crash is actually a reasonable 3 drop (3/3 with Crush) right on the first cast.

escapeRoute
12-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Isn't that the general idea about Escalation though? It's not really worth it (Cost/Threshold) on the first cast, it's pretty much on the right power level on the second cast, and then it starts getting really valuable on subsequent casts?

Not even saying it needs changing, but, unlike the other Escalation cards, Crash is actually a reasonable 3 drop (3/3 with Crush) right on the first cast.

well, u know the general ideas of hex cards more than me for sure :P
but i feel that this one can potentially become useless cause its actually creating creatures and, as we know it, creatures are the most fragile type of card

the chronic madness its a card that it does its trick once it resolves and u can only counter it by using some kind of counterspell or some sort of never playied "bring the cemetry back into the deck" card...

crash of beasts create creatures that need a second turn to actually become effective/usefull (unless u have some sort of sacrifical/enter the play combo) and that can be countered by the counterspells or by any widely used removal

while i agree with the fact that the idea of escalation is the one u are stating (wich is not totally rapresented here since crash of beasts is more than decent right now) i feel that u would actually destroy the card... wich can be good or bad depending on if u like the card or not... but i would love to see it viable anyway

i was just trying to find a ground where we could keep the card usefull and still make it less effective... it would still be more usefull than the other escalation cards on the first cast, for sure, but it would be easily counterable by all the 2 damage removals also thus making it a lot less effective... a lot... and so less desirable... if that isnt enough u could make it so that it adds crush only after the second cast (or third)... or with a certain wild treshold... like 5...

that would probably put it back a lot from a mana cost/power point of view

(sry for my terrible, terrible english)