PDA

View Full Version : Hex PVE with in-game Character ala Wizard 101

koisoujiro
12-20-2013, 02:23 AM
Would the PVE have me in-game like MTG Shalandar of olden times? running around the map dueling wandering opponents? Or maybe something like Wizards 101 (might be the first full fledge MMO TCG I have seen), my son plays this and this is a good example of a TCG with MMO elements minus the depth, It has gears, pets, mounts and such whilst battling opponents or players ala yugioh. This is could prove as a good Money Sink and Gold sink to help with the games economy.

Wizard 101 is Kingisle's MMO TCG for kids, really kid friendly, a pretty good storyline and a damn awesome voiceover (each quest is voiced over not like those other mmos where the voice over dissappears as you progress through higher quests). They also have a board game ala CardHunter, Pirates 101.

Gwaer
12-20-2013, 02:29 AM
As far as I understand, there's no walking. Basically it's node based. Towns are nodes on a map. Then in town you've got the various things you can interact with by rotating the screen and clicking. Dungeons are similar you click a node. You have some dialogue options and various decisions. Then a card battle. Winning opens up the next node. Doing something special may open a different node. How well you did May influence what happens in future nodes.

Its not an arpg. There's no you to control and walk around and jump over things. Just places to be and decisions to make and card battles to do.

koisoujiro
12-20-2013, 02:31 AM
bummer... no yugioh-esque walking around and role-playing crazy shit... lol...

Gwaer
12-20-2013, 02:37 AM
Afraid not. =(

Lawlschool
12-20-2013, 09:14 AM
bummer... no yugioh-esque walking around and role-playing crazy shit... lol...

I wouldn't be too bummed, the stuff they have in store for PvE looks insane. It's not just AI battle after AI battle, there are puzzle challenges, logic games, story events, etc. Even the vs AI looks awesome since each AI has a custom deck with a custom theme unavailable to players.

koisoujiro
12-20-2013, 09:26 AM
puzzle challenges and logic games sounds coolio... wish its not TOO hard taht ill need to surf the net for solutions...

hex_colin
12-20-2013, 10:07 AM
As far as I understand, there's no walking. Basically it's node based. Towns are nodes on a map. Then in town you've got the various things you can interact with by rotating the screen and clicking. Dungeons are similar you click a node. You have some dialogue options and various decisions. Then a card battle. Winning opens up the next node. Doing something special may open a different node. How well you did May influence what happens in future nodes.

Its not an arpg. There's no you to control and walk around and jump over things. Just places to be and decisions to make and card battles to do.

And, there are even dungeons/encounters where there are multiple targets within a given game and you choose which to attack and/or the order in which you attack them and it makes a difference on how things play out both within the game and for the rest of the dungeon. It's pretty cool... And a surprisingly interesting decision the first time around. There will be lots of replayability trying to see what would have happened if you'd chose differently...

jetah
12-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Hex is 2d not 3d where you can run around.

koisoujiro
12-20-2013, 06:27 PM
Hex is 2d not 3d where you can run around.
The engine is 3d, the cards float in 3D space... the table is renered in 3d... not a sprite based game. Visually having a character seems like a good money sink.

jetah
12-20-2013, 08:54 PM
The engine is 3d, the cards float in 3D space... the table is renered in 3d... not a sprite based game. Visually having a character seems like a good money sink.

but the depth is shallow. we're talking about a world/planet like what WoW/Rift/etc has.

and it could be 2d. just the perspective of the cards could change to give the impression that the game is 3d.

Zophie
12-20-2013, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't mind having cut out avatars for players milling about the various locations in the panorama environments. I don't think players need direct control of the position, just scatter them about whatever room they are in, and have them disappear when they go somewhere else. Maybe give us ways to customize the avatar or unlock emotes to use, that would be neat :)

rcl
12-23-2013, 01:11 AM
Meanwhile many of the alpha cards are broken and the text for selecting a deck currently looks like it's missing half the pixels.. I'm skeptical of many things listed here becoming a reality in 2014 although it'd be nice

I cannot grasp the vision of any of the MMO parts, I've only seen the 1v1 duel layout, And it's got issues, and I haven't got any idea how they would add more players there or turn it in to something more elaborate that'd feel any different than a series of duels against AI with a variety of decks

I think hex is moving rapidly toward being a good dueling TCG (no small feat) but I am not at all convinced on the MMO part and have literally no intention of even playing the PvE part because I don't find it in any way compelling in concept. It'd be great if CZECH shared the relevant UI designs etc..

trapline
12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
I really hope the avatars are more than the static champions we have now, or at least can become more later. A small animated model in the corner would be good, or at the least some voice over, chat bubbles and various portrait effects, something like the old might and mac games where the avatars art would change based on status effects.

ossuary
12-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Well the PVE champions are supposed to change appearance as you level up (according to some of the screenshots of the kickstarter campaign), but I don't think it's as customizable as you pick out what gear they are wearing, or the gear you equip for your deck alters their appearance for every single item, more than they just look more badass in an everyone-can-unlock-this kind of way as you progress in level towards 50.

The kickstarter explanation showed 3 levels of appearance to unlock as you progressed.

jetah
12-23-2013, 08:44 PM
I cannot grasp the vision of any of the MMO parts, I've only seen the 1v1 duel layout, And it's got issues, and I haven't got any idea how they would add more players there or turn it in to something more elaborate that'd feel any different than a series of duels against AI with a variety of decks

I think hex is moving rapidly toward being a good dueling TCG (no small feat) but I am not at all convinced on the MMO part and have literally no intention of even playing the PvE part because I don't find it in any way compelling in concept. It'd be great if CZECH shared the relevant UI designs etc..

The MMO Part is just a story or lore if you will. It gives depth to the Heroes and Mercs on the field. It is better than "you fight other people, here are pretty cards". The lore will give us the opportunity to pick a faction to work with at some point.

PvE will not be all vs AI fights. It was said there would be puzzles, dialogue where you could talk yourself out of combat or talk yourself into combat, etc.

The Story part with Dungeons and Raids will off equipment that PvP will need. You might want to think about this. These Dungeons and Raids will have exclusive cards for the AI which we'll have to overcome.

Rendakor
12-25-2013, 07:05 AM
The Story part with Dungeons and Raids will off equipment that PvP will need. This is wrong. You can only use equipment in PVE, not in PVP.

jetah
12-25-2013, 03:11 PM
This is wrong. You can only use equipment in PVE, not in PVP.

ah, found it at the bottom of the KS page.. well this is interesting.