PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out this D/W(s) deck

Zomnivore
12-26-2013, 11:32 PM
Hi mates. I'm trying to figure out a deck idea...and well I'm a scrub so you know how that goes.

Here's the list

Righteous Paladin x4
Protectorate Defender x4 (Prime Wild Empowerment Orb)
Eternal Youth x4
Stoneskin x4
Forgotten Lord x4 (fiddling with his slot)

Nelebrin Skirmisher (spell-shield) x4
Wild Root Dancer x4
Stargazer x4
Wild Growth x4

9wild/10diamond/1sapphire/4 shards of fate

Champion Feather Drifting Downriver

The idea being that Stargazer can durdle early and filter late and be a target for buffs if no one else is there, that I can give a troop flight to counter air stuff and buff em...

Generally the idea is to heal while I build the board and then to just start getting in for damage.

Lawlschool
12-26-2013, 11:56 PM
The problem I see with this deck is there's really no coherency. It looks like you wanted to make a D/W deck with Stargazer, and just kinda threw good cards from those shards in there. There's really no win condition, nor is there any real synergy. Having 4x of every card also isn't a great idea, as I've been finding out. I'm sure there's some actual math you can do to figure out the right amounts of each card, but my general rule is 4x of key cards (like win conditions or combos), 3x/2x of support cards, and 1x of situation cards or mega-bombs (I don't really run 1x of things, but I'm thinking I should start doing that more).

You have the makings of an intersting D/W pump deck, however. Defender with the +1/+1 gem, Skirmisher with spellshield, and WRD could be a pretty solid combo to focus on. The idea being to attack in and pump your troops up. Other cards you could use to help would be Bravery, Wild Aura, maybe Diamond Aura. Without looking at all the cards, I can't tell you much else, but I think I'm gonna mess around with this concept and get back to you.

VeScorp
12-27-2013, 12:11 AM
There will be my thoughts on this deck, after playing the midrange in the same colors.

1. You got only one way to pump a paladin in Eternal Youth, which is clearly not enough. I would either remove the paladin or change you champion to Dimmid and stargazer to Scrivener
2. Eternal Youth is a bit out of place here, i see is purpose in competing with some agressive decks - but some kind of removal (repel/conflict) would fit the role better
3. 4x stoneskin is way too much, cut down to 2-3
4. Forgotten Lords are quite too expensive to be a 4-of, try cutting to 3 or even 2
5. I have tested Skirmishers in lots of deck, and it ended up that they never worth a slot in the main deck. Good sideboard card, tho
6. You are missing two quite important cards here, the Spearcliff Cloud Knight and the Crash of Beasts. Both ov them really love the WRD, but they got the different double thresholds, so you migh chose one of them to play
7. Having to use shards of fate for sapphire(or drawing that single sapph resource) limits the early playing of your double-threshold cards. An interesting decision wold be swapping Stargazers with Howling Braves ans champion with One Eye Open
8. Consider finding a place for Jadiim
9. Is wild growth really worth it? I haven't played it even in my most agressive deck, so im not sure
10. I don't like protectorate defender because it shuffles back into your deck. I don't remember if the gem you use is minor, but if it is - i would replace the defender with the Grim Skull Srcerer - the same stats but no shuffling back. you might also try switching the gem to swiftstrike.

Zomnivore
12-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Hmm well the idea with stargazer is that he can also pump paladin.

Protectorate defender is in there for the buff to attack and for early blocks, the idea is to get to the mid late game.

I've got wild growth in there for as much as I do, because early game its a cheap thing to cast with limited mana from stargazing, especially if I'm holding up stoneskin.

I'm not sure if the x4 of everything is really helping that much, I agree but this is basically the core of what I was working with and I wanted something with limited jenkieness.

The defender is in there because the stargazer can draw into him and he's a buff and a body...which isn't too bad for 2, as well if he was buffed earlier his buff becomes stronger, makes chumping with him feel easier for the rougher early starts.

VeScorp
12-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Does stargazer gain you life?
I checked the tcgbrowser, it said that he gives steadfast - i never ever checked him in client :D
Than yes, i might be wrong in that part
And i might be confused with what Empowerment does - i thought it's +1\+1
And the multiple +1\+1 buff on redrawing the gemmed protector is bug, as far as I remember

I'm not at home so i couldn't have checked that in client, sorry

But other statements are still viable, I guess :)

Lawlschool
12-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Hmm well the idea with stargazer is that he can also pump paladin.

Protectorate defender is in there for the buff to attack and for early blocks, the idea is to get to the mid late game.

The defender is in there because the stargazer can draw into him and he's a buff and a body...which isn't too bad for 2, as well if he was buffed earlier his buff becomes stronger, makes chumping with him feel easier for the rougher early starts.

While these ideas aren't bad, you're being really reliant on a few not-so-great combos. Stargazer is nice, but you're not going to be guaranteed to see it every game. To utilize the digging power you need to also draw one of 5 cards, which also isn't guaranteed to happen when you need it. Pally is a great card, but again, for it to be good in this deck you need Stargazer out. Defender with the on-play gem isn't bad, but remember that the buff is currently bugged (should only be temporary), which does limit its usefulness. It's essentially a weaker WRD buff, and has a chance to often be wasted (since it's not permanent and is only useful if you put it on an attacker). And while the reshuffle is a fantastic ability, it's not one you really want to rely on.

It's easy to criticize a deck with just theory, so this deck could play better than I'm expecting it too. But right now you just seem to have far too many not-so-great synergies that require too many parts to be useful. You seem to want this deck to hinge on Stargazer for the lifegain and digging, but a) the life gain is small and likely won't keep you alive long, b) the lifegain only synergizes with pally, isn't spectacular, and isn't reliable, c) you want to use the digging ability, but that's also unreliable and you don't have much to dig too. On the other hand, your other cards are pretty good and seem to be a good skeleton for an interesting deck, so you might want to focus on those.

Also, VeScorp, Stargazer has been changed to 1D, tap, gain 2 life and the Prime Empowerment Gem is the on-play effect that gives another troop +atk/+def for the turn equal too the played troop's atk/def.

VeScorp
12-30-2013, 01:35 AM
and the Prime Empowerment Gem is the on-play effect that gives another troop +atk/+def for the turn equal too the played troop's atk/def.
Okay, then i'm pretty sure I'd replace them for the GrimScullSorcs with swiftstrike - I don't really like buffing hte cards w/o crush or flight (and the only way to have flight here is the charge power)

Aselith
12-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Whoops didn't see the champ is on there.

JakeFreedom
01-03-2014, 11:27 AM
You could also try to swap out 2 of the eternal youths and put in Pact of Life from the Wild Shard. That way if you have a Pali on the board, every time you place a resource he will get a buff, Have both Pacts out and he will will buff twice with one resource.

Just a thought.

Elwinz
01-11-2014, 12:45 PM
I have played D/w deck foir a while. W minely for crash for paladin.
There is no realy reason to not have spearcliff coludknight in your deck its amazing card and helps paladin. Adamntian scirevenr for paladin also, cheap and can buff him fast a lot. Alos Jadim from Wild. It won me so many games, realy game changing card. Your deck doesnt realy have a win cindition. NO big hitting troops for a biit later game. Also to slow paladin building qwith just stargazer. i have played life gain deck but i had scirevieners, both pegasuses, protectorate deffender with life on play gem etc, every my troop could buff him. Besides Gabriel.
Personaly i prefer more soothing breeze then eternal youth. Counting of luck of multiple redrawnwithout drawing deck not gonna get oyou anywhere. It work great on sapphire deck but not here.
Starting hand of scirevenr paladin cloudknight + some mana and repel/stoneskin is very strong start not that easy to beat.
Not a fun of pact of life, wouldnt relay that much on getting resources to play, i used ivory pawns instead.