PDA

View Full Version : Tournaments and AFKers

Handsofevil
12-29-2013, 12:06 AM
This is a little bit of a whiney thread, so keep that in mind.

I have tried to do Tournaments over a dozen times now, with no success. By that I don't mean I lost. Yes I've lost a few, but I can deal with that. When I say no success, I mean not a single one has finished. Primary example, that caused me to write this, was the tournament I played today. I played all three games against my opponent (after he AFKed after we were 1-1 and I was ahead) and got out with a wonderful 2-1. I was pumped for the rest of the tournament. Only to find none of the other games were played. Current players was set at 1/8. I have never had a tournament go past the first round. Now I understand server issues, but I haven't talked to a single person who has been able to complete a tournament.

I guess the point of this is two-fold. Who all has actually completed a tournament? And why dangle rewards in front of us if there isn't even a chance to get them?

DackFayden
12-29-2013, 12:39 AM
Oh I thought AFKers where having an impact on tournament progression. But timing out is still a thing. Can't do much there, maybe implement a 10 minute no action auto-loss.

CZE already commented that they're doing stress testing. Tourneys fail left and right some succeed. Its the nature of the current beast as they try to fix tournaments.

Dangle rewards = Incentive to join tournaments = They can actually test stability

I don't get your point though. It seems you just pointed out they need to work on tournament stability, which is what they're doing. What are you trying say?

funktion
12-29-2013, 12:42 AM
I think the title of the thread is missleading, I don't think many of your issues have anything to do with AFKers. I'm having the exact same issues that you are but the cause to me seems like it is more than likely just from plain old bugs rather than anything else.

I know for sure that some tournaments have gone to completion. It's alpha any rewards here are just to give thanks for us testing and to encourage us to test certain elements, they aren't there to drive competition.

Handsofevil
12-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Timing out is sorta a thing. When I get play 3 games, and everyone else can play 0, their games should have passed and declared someone a winner. Tournament stability is one thing, but you can't really test it unless people can actually play...

Maybe implement a better way to deal with AFKers? I'm not sure a fix, but I'm extremely discouraged from testing tournaments.

Dangle rewards = Incentive to join tournaments = lots of frustration = not wanting to play tournaments = They can't test stability.

@funktion, you say that but I don't have any issues with any other games... And it's not like they even get 1 game in and the issue is with sideboarding. They are always at 0-0

Lawlschool
12-29-2013, 12:50 AM
I've known of a few instances (I think) where people quit because the time between rounds was too long, but most instances of tourneys failing in my experience has been because of bugs and server problems. The "reward" they mentioned was probably an incentive to get people to stress test the tourneys, my guess is whatever "reward" they were planning to give will be received by everyone. It'd be nice if they'd try the same incentive with quickfinder...

Handsofevil
12-29-2013, 01:01 AM
I thought the quickfinder was broken, otherwise I would use it. And I would understand the time between rounds being a reason to leave, but people don't even get into games...

Lawlschool
12-29-2013, 01:28 AM
I thought the quickfinder was broken, otherwise I would use it. And I would understand the time between rounds being a reason to leave, but people don't even get into games...

Quickfinder works great, when people use it. The problem is no one uses it because no one uses it. Not really sure how to solve that problem, other than getting more people to be patient and start using it more. If everyone used it instead of "lfg" spam, it should work fine (and gen chat would be less annoying).

As for the tourney 0/0 "AFK-ers," I'm not sure if those people are truly AFK, or if those games just get bugged out. I've had a few first round games that get coin-flip bugged, and the only way out of that is to force-close, and that disconnects you which means you can't get back in the tourney, which I'd assume would leave you with a 0/0 record. Considering how fast tourneys fill up most times, I'd be surprised if people actually went AFK for long periods before the first round. Tourneys are still hella bugged though, that's for sure.

Handsofevil
12-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Well since I know it works, I'll start using it.

You say bugged out, but I have no issues with regular games. I would imagine bugs only arise in tournament play around sideboarding. Starting the game shouldn't be the issue.

Lawlschool
12-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Awesome, the more people start using quickfinder the better! Sideboarding has been crazy buggy for me, though most of the time games run fine. I have occasionally run in to bugs when starting rounds, which is why I'm erring on thinking the "afk" is just due to bugs. I haven't played any tourneys in the past week or so, so I'm not sure if they've got better, but since it's Alpha and they're a relatively new addition, bugs are unfortunately to be expected. Hopefully after another stability patch or two the tourneys will run fine, and we'll be better able to tell if pre-tourney AFK-ing is a legit problem.

Handsofevil
12-29-2013, 03:05 AM
I think the key part of what you just said is you haven't played in the past week. I've never had a tournament game bug on me, just other people. I guess it just urked me more than anything because my partner AFKed at the end so I had to wait for my own game to end, only to find out that the other ones never went through. Maybe dispand the tournament if it becomes unplayable for any reason? Let people finish the game, but award winner to those who are still there? Everytime I'm the only one left, so maybe that's selfish of me. It's just a lot more frustrating than regular game bugs, because I have to invest so much more time into the Tournament system.

Gwaer
12-29-2013, 04:17 AM
This has obviously nothing to do with afkers. I can't count the number of times when joining a tournament everyone is stuck in the lobby except two people that lucked into a game. That's basically the description of the tournament bugs. Seriously good for you you always manage to get into a tournament game. Everyone else has been having problems.

Handsofevil
12-29-2013, 04:39 AM
Gwaer, hence my first point (sorta). I've never seen any issues firsthand, and I've tried many times. If it's really that big of an issue, then it's really hard to stress-test the tournaments when we can't even play them...

Lawlschool
12-29-2013, 10:20 AM
If it's really that big of an issue, then it's really hard to stress-test the tournaments when we can't even play them...

But, if everyone could play through an entire tournament with no bugs, then there's nothing to stress-test... We can't play them through because they need fixing, but they can't fix anything without us playing them to show them what the problems are. That's kinda the whole point of a stress test.

Nekrabyte
12-29-2013, 11:58 AM
@funktion, you say that but I don't have any issues with any other games... And it's not like they even get 1 game in and the issue is with sideboarding. They are always at 0-0

<---- not funktion, but replying anyways.... i think players stuck at 0-0 has NOTHING to do with AFK... its about the games actually working... about half of the tournaments i get into i can play in the first round, but the other half, i get in, and either the game bugs out, or i get stuck in permanent lobby, no matter what i do. i imagine a LOT of those 0-0's you are seeing is because of an error in the tournament functionality, rather than AFK'ers (though theres probably at least a FEW of those as well)

funktion
12-29-2013, 02:25 PM
I was just about to reply with exactly what you mentioned Nekrabyte : P

Alpha is alpha. It is not supposed to be pretty.

Handsofevil
12-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I know it's Alpha... My point was I haven't encountered any bugs myself, at all. I had no idea that everyone else was running into tons of tournament bugs.

As for a comment above, we can't stress test them if there aren't bugs. Yes you can. It's not a stress test when even a single tournament going at once can't go through. That's just regular testing. Stress testing is having a lot of people doing it at once. Testing how much it can handle. It can't handle one, so they need to fix that before they can stress test.

YourOpponent
12-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah out of 16 days or so of doing tournaments I've came across a majority of them not running to completion. Granted I can't be sure every tournament I've played hasn't ran to completion after I've lost of course so I'm only counting the ones where I'm still winning win it bugs out....or bugged out before I start playing.

To answer the OP's question though yes there has been tournaments that have ran through completely. I've personally been through the final round at least 3 times.

HyenaNipples
12-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah, getting stuck in the lobby seems to happen to me the most. Then I seem to be flagged against joining tournaments after that cause I'm invisible in the queue for hours.