PDA

View Full Version : I want to make Hex videos for my channel

Bells
12-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Simple as that, because i'm sure i'm not the only one.

I want to make videos for my Youtube channel. I want to explain the game to viewers, show drafts, torunaments, test decks, play the PVE and PVP and all that good stuff.

I really would like to add Hex content to the fixed schedule of my channel.

Can i do that? Can i do that for the final game? Can i do that for the Alpha (making it clear that it IS an alpha) and then compare it to the final version?

Can i make videos talking about patches and stuff like that?

As a backer of the game i really wanted to take Hex in as content for my channel, but i need more information on what i can or cannot do...

Gwaer
12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Yep. You can do all those things. Just as long as it's clear it's fan made and alpha versions.

Bells
12-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Thank you very much, but for i kinda actually need some official word from Crypto for this particular thing

Niedar
12-29-2013, 03:03 PM
They have given it, but I am not going to search it out for you.

Lawlschool
12-29-2013, 03:16 PM
They've said multiple times they're totally ok with people streaming and uploading vids of gameplay as long as they make it known that the game is in Alpha. We're not under any sort of NDA so go for it! I think there's an official go-ahead in one of the KS updates, you could probably poke around there to confirm.

What you should watch out for is streaming music while you play, since YouTube's "Content ID" program is a load of shit and you could get hit with some BS "takedowns" if your vids have non-Hex background music. This goes for all you YouTubers / Streamers, especially if you try monetizing your vids.

Bells
12-29-2013, 03:53 PM
the terms of service for Hex state that i cannot show Gameplay footage of the game if that footage is being Commercially sold or Distributed.

Putting on youtube in a channel affiliate to a network could constitute as Commercially distributing footage, since it's monetized, which is what caused me confusion. I don't know if the TOS was changed, which is why although there has been talk it being Ok, i wanted to make sure.

Lawlschool
12-29-2013, 04:31 PM
the terms of service for Hex state that i cannot show Gameplay footage of the game if that footage is being Commercially sold or Distributed.

Putting on youtube in a channel affiliate to a network could constitute as Commercially distributing footage, since it's monetized, which is what caused me confusion. I don't know if the TOS was changed, which is why although there has been talk it being Ok, i wanted to make sure.

If you do a forum search, someone has already pointed out the conflict between the TOS and what they said. I think you'll find an official statement or a link to one saying that it's ok. So while technically it violates the TOS, they've official said they'll let it slide since they don't really care. My guess is the TOS language is boilerplate, or meant to deter people / companies who intend to commercially distribute footage on a larger scale than simple "lets play" youtubers or streamers.

Xenavire
12-29-2013, 05:52 PM
I dont know if you can claim it as monetised, but sharing the video/content online for viewers to watch is fine. Probably best to email support if you want to monetise it.

YourOpponent
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
They have said it officially multiple times. It's in the agreement each time you download a patch that it's okay to take videos/screenshots as long as you make it clear that it's still in Alpha.

jetah
12-30-2013, 06:50 PM
The said on an update, it's ok to stream!

Source (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game/posts?page=3)

Alpha is Alpha

Since there's no NDA, you're all free to stream and create content as you wish. Typically publishers don't allow this since alphas are buggy and any prospective players may get confused that the alpha product is the final product. However, this is the game you all helped build, and we want you to feel free to do what you want to do. Please just note that this is an alpha build whenever you're creating content and make sure it's emphasized throughout any content you're creating. That will avoid any confusion with potential new players. Thank you in advance.

Hope this helps!!!