PDA

View Full Version : MDK - Mono Blood Control

QuantumZeruul
12-30-2013, 03:40 AM
I wanted to post this deck that I have created to get a little feedback. It's not perfect, but it seems to be working fairly well so far and it absolutely infuriates my friends.

Champion:
Kranok

Resources:
24x Blood Shard

Troops (20):
4x Giant Corpse Fly
4x Rot Caster
4x High Tomb Lord
4x Malice Demon
4x Uruunaz

Basic Action (8):
4x Extinction
4x Sorrow

Quick Action (8):
4x Murder
4x Persecute

Ok, the general premise of the deck should be fairly obvious: Kill Everything. There is enough kill actions in the deck to keep the majority of serious threats off the table until a board clear (Extinction) comes into play, or one of the powerhouse cards is played.

Playing The Deck:
Now, the way the deck usually plays out is that for the first 4-6 turns, you focus on killing off the opponents creatures, either directly with actions, with one of your "early" creatures (the Fly and Rot Caster) to Kill or Discard, or purposefully blocking with one of those creatures to kill even if it causes a sacrifice. This is the warm up period, and it is painful. Even with enough kill actions, it is fairly normal in my experience to end up after warm-up with around 8-10 points of damage (though a couple of that would be from your champion action).

At this point, depending on the rest of your hand and board conditions, you end up playing your first big creature. Typically it will be either a High Tomb Lord or Malice Demon. The Tomb Lord will usually be around 8/8 or 10/10 at this point because of all of the cards going into both graveyards, but the demon has built in evasion with flight and ways to get damage through with Crush. If nice creatures have been killed off, playing a Uruunaz to steal something massive will also work wonders. Usually the ideal situation is for you to kill off their last real defender on their turn, on your turn play something massive, then after they play a follow up card on their turn, kill it again on your turn before you attack. Depending on board state, you can start dropping big creatures turn after turn, which gets really hard to deal with.

Problems:
Now the deck has two big weaknesses that I have encountered so far, though I am certain there are more. When playing against wild decks, if the player can get a Fist of Briggidon in play, it is almost game over, especially if they pump it. Without being pumped, it is small enough to be able to be blocked easily by your Demon and Tomb Lord (typically), but once it gets a pump it is either a race to the finish or an outright concession. To a lesser extent, spellshielded troops can also be a problem, but Extinction and Sorrow don't target so they can get around it, and usually you can just block with your bigger creatures if you last that long.

Playing another control deck can also be a pain to work through as well. Thankfully you have enough big creatures to weather through one or two getting killed, bounced, or countered, but at the same time there is few enough creatures that something like an exhaustion or D/S control can be painful.

Individually Sorrow I think is probably the weakest card in the deck right now. Against the right deck, it can work wonders, but against other decks it is dead weight. If you end up replacing any card for something in your reserves, I would look at this one being replaced first.

Possible Changes/Reserves:
Finally, there is a few cards that I have been considering in reserve for the deck. The first two are Curse of Oblivion and Argus. Argus is a decent sized creature that has good kill capabilities, and while it will not work against spellshielded creatures, it should be able to take out a Fist since Voiding a card is not destroying it. The curse also can take care of any such cards before they get played, hopefully, though most decks don't contain enough of that to worry about usually.

If you find yourself needing bigger or more creatures, at this point I would remove something for Incantation of Fear. Enough things are going in Discard piles that it is fairly easy to get the creature out against almost anyone.

The last card that I would consider in my sideboard is Relentless Corruption. This card is almost like card draw. It can get you more resources, more creatures, or cause problems with the opponent's deck by stealing key cards (random chance applies; no refunds available).

Conclusion:
Well, there you have it. It's not a difficult deck to piece together, but it seems to work well. Try a few games with it and tell me what you think. It seems to take a bit of practice to know specifically when the timing works for the cards, but it is fairly quick to get the hang of. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks everyone!

VeScorp
12-30-2013, 04:00 AM
12 finishers (and a weird choice of them)
no draw engine
no healing

Overall it looks really weird and... No, I'll just stop there.

QuantumZeruul
12-30-2013, 05:02 AM
Hehe, yea, but I have a tendency to put together weird decks. Among my friends, in the various CCGs I have played, most of my decks that work well really cannot be played by others since I seem to have a unique mindset at times, but I thought this one worked out fairly straight forward. I could be wrong though. This could just be another one of those decks that not everyone can play. As for life, you probably could fit Life Siphon in the deck, but the way I see it, I don't care if my life is 20 or 1 as long as I take out the opponent before. I HAVE seriously considered considered Terrible Transfer, thought I forgot to put it in my initial postings. That would kill a unit and give you life both.

VeScorp
12-30-2013, 05:06 AM
Hehe, yea, but I have a tendency to put together weird decks. Among my friends, in the various CCGs I have played, most of my decks that work well really cannot be played by others

Well, i know this feeling - There were moments when I came to the hobby store and people asked me what the hell am I've made up again

But as for finisher choice- I really, really dislike tomb lord as he's just the big body with no crush or flight - which means it's not hard to play against it.
The ones I like are Eternal Guardian and Sadistic Castigator

A couple of transfers might fit really well (i played exactly 2 in my list)
And, as you are not running lifegain, pact of pain doesnt seem like a solution for the card draw - but I'd at least put 2-3 Secret Labs in

BlackRoger
12-30-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm not a great player by any measure but here are my 2 cents:
I think I would want some other cheaper creatures there to help keep you alive if you don't draw extinction against aggro, and to better your curve either way.

I would suggest inquisitor with return from graveyard gem.
against aggro he is close to a recurring removal, and against control you can bring back your big dudes who got removed/make them waste multiple removals.
Another option is the 3/3 lifegain dude, which can keep you alive more against things like brigaddon/aggro.
He also opens the door for you to bring in pact of pain against control

Edit: Have you considered Hex engine? if all you are trying to do is ramp up to big dudes it might make your life easier, don't have much expirience with it myself though.

VeScorp
12-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Hex Engine would fit the deck, right

QuantumZeruul
12-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Well the problem is that until I stop dropping big creatures, I want each card I play to disrupt the opponent in some fashion. I have been testing this some, and depending on who you play I would remove Sorrow for Terrible Transfer. Against decks with lots of 1 health creatures (read: wabbits), Sorrow seems to be working better. I think I'm liking Terrible Transfer in the main deck though, so I think I'm going to move Sorrow into the Reserves.

Sereaphim
12-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Hex Engine would fit the deck, right

Surge Mechanism is much better for this kind of deck.
My tip for the deck...

- 4x Rot Caster
- 4x High Tomb Lord
- 4x Malice Demon
- 2x Uruunaz
- 4 x Sorrow

+ 2 x Secret Labs
+ 2 x Surge Mechanism
+ 4 x Xentoth's Inquisitor with a Orb that you like both are good for your deck
+ 3 x Life Siphon
+ 2 x Pact of Pain
+ 3 x Corrupted Harvester or Vampire King (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/#!/cards&search=Vampire+King) if they release him
+ 2 x Terrible Transfer

The main problem that you big troops can be easy killed and have not the right impact for the cost you pay. But in the end is your decision how to play your deck this are only tips.

VeScorp
12-31-2013, 10:52 AM
This list isnt that good too - 2 uruunaz and 3 siphon is too few for finishers
As i said, castigators are nearly must-have

Sereaphim
12-31-2013, 02:05 PM
This list isnt that good too - 2 uruunaz and 3 siphon is too few for finishers
As i said, castigators are nearly must-have

Castigators is expensive and easy to kill with any removal.
And he most time doesn't kill faster then a Xentoth's Inquisitor or a Corrupted Harvester.
With Surge Mechanism you can play Xentoth's Inquisitor nearly unlimited times.

I never could understand what people see in Sadistic Castigator.
What is so good on a 3/4 fly for 6 with a effect that only is good if the enemy draws something big ?
This card makes nothing for field position, it doesn't generated card advantage and his capacities as win option is more or less random between nothing or 9 damage with higher chance for lower numbers.

Not to say that Vampire King will be the strongest card for mono blood.
With 3/4 fly, lifedrain and awesome effect for only 4.
He can dominate the field with removal and holds you alive.
But sadly we have to wait for our king.

For my self i don't play uruunaz in his place one more siphon and a one more Terrible Transfer.
Giant Corpse Fly is sidebord and for he i play as draw/semi win option 4 Relentless Corruption.
But I would even reconsider in the actual wild heavy meta to play Chaos Key in the main deck.
Because you can't handle Fist of Briggadon as mono blood deck.

Her is my last version of mono blood if you like.

Champion
Zared Venomscorn
Great removal for enemy Xentoth's Inquisitor, Howling Brave, Thunderbird, The Ancestor' Chosen..

Troops 7
4 x Xentoth's Inquisitor
3 x Corrupt Harvester

Action 20
4 x Life Siphon
4 x Relentless Corruption
4 x Murder
4 x Extinction
4 x Persecute

Permanent 2
2 x Pact of Pain

Artifact 7
2 x Secret Laboratory
2 x Surge Mechanism
3 x Chaos Key (or Terrible Transfer)

Resources 24
24 x Blood Shard

Reseves
4 x Curse of Oblivion
1 x Chaos Key
4 x Cosmic Totem (or Sorrow)
3 x Giant Corpsfly
2 x Uruunaz
1 x Eternal Guardian

You have to alternate between what you think will be the meta.