PDA

View Full Version : HEX Update - Happy New Year!

Shaqattaq
01-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Itís 2014 and this is your first update of the year! After a wonderful holiday spent with their families, the HEX team is back in the office and at work, progressing on sets and improving the alpha client.

http://hextcg.com/hex-update-happy-new-year/

Idus
01-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Hey Shaq,

What happened to the PvE update you & Kevin were working on?

For weekly content, I'd be interested in getting a "forum week in review" update from you guys, summarising your feedback on opinions being expressed on the forums. I wouldn't want this to be anything knee-jerk about the vocal minority, as that could lead to just more complaints being posted, but just general ways we are helping, or not helping, influence the games direction, so we could get a better feel for what constitutes constructive and helpful feedback.

Also, maybe an in-depth on specific cards from the gameplay designer, with their thoughts behind the design of it, and how they see it affecting the game in the long run.

Finally, you guys may not be ready to put this out there yet, but a bit more backstory on the lore for PvE every week would be nice, if we can't get any info on PvE gameplay itself.

Shaqattaq
01-03-2014, 07:07 PM
For the PVE feature, the pieces I wanted to show weren't at a quality level where they're right for a public feature. But, we're actively working on those pieces and as soon as they're ready, I'm going to post them. Like that very second.

Thanks for the suggestion about forum discussions. Keep those coming!

Scammanator
01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
What happened to the PvE update you & Kevin were working on?

I assumed the promised PvE update was the article on the Night of Bells. I thought it was great to hear something about how holidays are going to work on Entrath. All we had before was a picture of young Shin'hare interacting with brightly colored eggs.

As for the weekly content, I'd like to see some introductions of the new team members you've been bringing on. We'd get to meet them, congratulate them on their awesome new jobs, and by seeing a bit of what they're being brought on to work on, we get to have a better feel for what the Kickstarter success is helping to accomplish.

Not all the new folks get to interact with the community as much as Shaggy.

jetah
01-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Date on KS update and on HEXTcg page says Jan 4th. today is the 3rd..

Beowolve
01-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Haven't heard anything on Draft play, are we getting anywhere near having that available?

trapline
01-03-2014, 09:47 PM
I like the art direction there, good stuff

funktion
01-03-2014, 10:24 PM
I'd like to see an Alpha / Beta roadmap type of post. Not with any particular dates but perhaps with what is currently being worked on and planned as well as what the teams goals are before we begin to move into beta.

Maybe a "What we've learned from alpha so far" type of post might also be interesting.

Sachan
01-04-2014, 03:20 AM
Is there any word on when the mac client will be available? As winery is no longer working for me I can't get on. I would, however, like to commend the Hex team on all the hard work they are putting in and I hope everyone who is participating in alpha is enjoying it. I hope you all had good holidays.

HyenaNipples
01-04-2014, 05:14 AM
For weekly content, I'd like to see status reports of the Alpha. For example, what people are working on, both new features and bug crushing on old ones. Being ignorant of Alphas, I constantly wonder why known bugs survive in the system for so long. Infernal Professor has been bugged since it was introduced. It took over a month to get Blessing of the Falling working correctly, and about as long to add "Cannot be Blocked" text to Eldritch Dreamer.

If I knew and understood the task priorities and the difficulties in bug squashing, I would be more understanding of these long time tables on individual bugs. It can be frustrating to report bugs and then come back a week later to find the card in the same situation as it was before. That can make one disinclined to report more bugs, as you'll just assume someone has already reported it several weeks ago because the obsessive sharks on the Alpha Bug forum will squawk at you about there already being a thread.

mudkip
01-04-2014, 05:46 AM
For weekly content, I'd be interested in getting a "forum week in review" update from you guys, summarising your feedback on opinions being expressed on the forums.
On a similar note, just a friendly reminder to others that the purple tracker on HexRealms is fucking awesome! I often just check that and skip the forum:
http://www.hexrealms.com/content.php?69-purple-tracker

For weekly content, I'd like to see status reports of the Alpha. For example, what people are working on, both new features and bug crushing on old ones.

I'm not sure they could provide that much detail, but a target/milestone of the week would be a nice touch - similar to how the Tournament bug was mentioned in this week's update.

Xenavire
01-04-2014, 08:29 AM
I think a fun feature for a weekly.event could be 'card roulette'. You chose your rarity, then ante up one or more cards, and at the end of the day you receive as many random cards of the same rarity that you had put in. Then CZE could inject promos into the roulette, so some lucky people could get some fun promo cards.

This would be akin to blindly trading - sure you might get a terrible trade, but you might get something amazing that some generous person had put in there.

This could lead to some amazing 'finds'. A foiled common, or an full art uncommon might be a great reward, or some common that was in some top tier deck in a tournament, and maybe even alternate art. It would be the same thrill as opening a booster with some added twists - maybe one week some player comes in and drops in a bunch of set 1 commons when the current sets are 9 or later, you could land some amazingly rare cards. This could even encourage use of the AH - someone lucks into something great, but they wont use, so they put it on the AH, getting it back into circulation.

MajinRaiko
01-04-2014, 12:42 PM
I'd like to see some more acknowledgement of the forums from the staff. Show us that you're seeing people's suggestions and threads for ideas on resources or game changes for balance. Show us what you're doing and give us more to go on than just more guessing without a time frame.

As for game features, I'd sort of like to see something similar to MTG's Archenemy game type. Hell, here's an even better idea, why not have that after a while if a guild earns enough experience or something they can design their own custom dungeon-like experience to give opposing guilds a challenge. Give them basic options and ways to come up with their own AI driven scenarios.

Graf
01-05-2014, 06:11 AM
The "big picture" alpha/beta (including Mac ;)) roadmap is a good one.

Staff communication with forums really translates to engagement and helps define tone. Otherwise it tends to be the ultra-hardcore, people with entrenched positions, yeli g at each other.

BossHoss
01-05-2014, 11:00 AM
As for game features, I'd sort of like to see something similar to MTG's Archenemy game type. Hell, here's an even better idea, why not have that after a while if a guild earns enough experience or something they can design their own custom dungeon-like experience to give opposing guilds a challenge. Give them basic options and ways to come up with their own AI driven scenarios.

Both of those ideas are already implemented in the PvE experience.

Archenemy is what Raid Boss fights will be like with 3 vs 1

Keep Defense is what will allow you to "set up your own dungeon" by creating 3 decks for opponents to take a run at your prize you have set in your keep.

Voices
01-06-2014, 11:38 AM
This is from KS update #57:

"To address a specific point that has been raised on the forum about timing and where we are with the game… YES, the game is taking longer than anticipated. We know. This is a fairly common occurrence when trying to create AAA gaming products. I have been in the interactive business 20 years and NEVER seen a game come out on time.

Let me make a few things clear:

- We have a large team and have been adding more people every month.
- All systems are being developed and are moving forward. We have active team members on every part of the game, from PVP to PVE.
- We have solid forward motion on the game EVERY DAY."

My suggestion for a weekly piece of 'CZE meets the community' is to have one CZE dev talking about whatever he/she is working on at the moment and what the overall plan is for dealing with that particular issue at this point in time. The idea behind this particular suggestion is that the community would get a better feel for what individual devs are working on and why. I think that this could mitigate some of the impatience that some players display on the forums as well as furnishing a better general understanding of what it really means to develop Hex as a MMO-TCG on a day-to-day basis.

There are various specific ways in which this can be done:

- As a weekly 1 hour Twitch stream where the dev answers questions from chat
- As a written response to questions posed by the community. (This could be done in several ways and I can post suggestions if needed.)
- As a short article by a dev outlining what he/she is working on

I am sure there are many other ways this can be done...

Oh well, it is at least a suggestion.

Shaqattaq
01-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.

As for a more active forum presence, as Shaggy has learned the ropes over the last few weeks since joining the HEX team, you'll see him here more often. There's a balance that has to be struck there. We want to facilitate community discussion as opposed to define it. It's good to see discussions develop between players. When a HEX team member comes in and makes a statement, it can move the spotlight to what that HEX team member is saying and change the conversation. We also have to be careful that we're making important statements online where everybody can find them. Statements can get buried in the forums and we don't want to have users digging through months old forum archives for information.

As for more information about development, you'll see deeper alpha notes in the coming weeks. Additionally, taking in your feedback, you're right that we could be more specific when discussing what the different teams are working on in updates. If it ever seems like we're being a little vague with different pieces of development, most of the time it's because someone's working on a big feature that we want to do a big reveal on when the time's right.

mach
01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
We also have to be careful that we're making important statements online where everybody can find them. Statements can get buried in the forums and we don't want to have users digging through months old forum archives for information.

That's a fixable problem. You could add an "official posts" button which shows the most recent posts from official sources. Alternatively, you could add a section to the weekly update where you recap these posts.

Rakshall
01-08-2014, 05:05 PM
We want to facilitate community discussion as opposed to define it. It's good to see discussions develop between players. When a HEX team member comes in and makes a statement, it can move the spotlight to what that HEX team member is saying and change the conversation
Still, many discussions without Cryptozoic point of view are pointless and lack of official comments can actually anger player base if they feel company is ignoring them at the crucial stage of development when not everything is set in stone.

We also have to be careful that we're making important statements online where everybody can find them. Statements can get buried in the forums and we don't want to have users digging through months old forum archives for information.
Definitely dev post tracker would help. There is a unofficial one, but it would be better to implement it in official forums. As in previous post - people who don't reads forums could get summary in backer updates.

Valazdin
01-09-2014, 06:41 AM
its easy to find information from CZE, I use this
http://www.hexrealms.com/content.php?69-purple-tracker