PDA

View Full Version : Should the life total be changed?

MajinRaiko
01-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I've been wondering about this for a while. I mean the game's awkward enough with the similarities to MtG already, did we also have to give it the same life total too? We know how quickly games can end with just 20 life, so I was wondering if the players would prefer it to be at around 30 instead in order to give the games more length and strategy?

Alright, let the flood of negative posts begin.

Xenavire
01-04-2014, 04:00 PM
I have one thing to say - lifegain decks crave every point of life they can get. This would make them a lot stronger - and with Ozawa in the mix, we are talking a 30/30 base, with the ability to stall and lifegain.

Do you think thats a good idea?

Gwaer
01-04-2014, 04:12 PM
The game isn't awkward because of its similarities to magic. That's not some shameful secret. It's iterating on the magic baseline. Just like pretty much every other tcg ever made. It's iterations are focused more on the experience, and less on change for changes sake. This is a good thing to most of us.

Kroan
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Increasing life will make aggro decks very hard to play.

Vengus
01-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Increasing life will make aggro decks very hard to play.
This. Lifepoints need to be carefully balanced to make multiple playstyles viable. Make it too high, and control/late game decks will flourish. Make it too low, and aggro will dominate. 20 is a good number for HEX. If it were increased, all cards would have to be rebalanced, essentially solving nothing other than increasing the numbers a bit.

DackFayden
01-04-2014, 05:40 PM
I've been wondering about this for a while. I mean the game's awkward enough with the similarities to MtG already, did we also have to give it the same life total too? We know how quickly games can end with just 20 life, so I was wondering if the players would prefer it to be at around 30 instead in order to give the games more length and strategy?

Alright, let the flood of negative posts begin.

Now this is an interesting question. Something I've never considered, too used to the 20 set by MTG. I feel 30 would make aggresive decks not the smartest choice, but then again they already aren't. 25 to me seems reasonable, but I know nothing about game design.

Anyone here know why magic picked 20 lifepoints

#20life7cards

funktion
01-04-2014, 06:04 PM
They should make the life total 10,000 but make cards only damage in increments of 500

mach
01-04-2014, 06:39 PM
There's nothing magical about the number 20.

You could add some more diversity by letting champions have different starting life totals.

BossHoss
01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
They should make the life total 10,000 but make cards only damage in increments of 500

I disagree.

You only have one life for real so why not have this represent it? Each champion should start with one life and hand full of 7 insults, and simultaneously try to ruin each others' life

ursa23
01-04-2014, 08:32 PM
The game used to be set at 25 life. Check out the teaser trailer, at 0:31. They tried it, and decided it balanced better at 20. There is no way that is going to change now, it would necessitate a rebalance of every card they have.

hex_colin
01-04-2014, 11:22 PM
And, in PVE, life totals are all over the place depending on the encounter... ;)

halfwing
01-05-2014, 12:00 AM
PvE champions can also modify their starting health.

But as someone migrating to this game from WoWTCG, I would very much prefer to have PvP health totals that vary by champion, alongside abilities.

Gwaer
01-05-2014, 12:01 AM
It's possible one day. No telling what future sets and future PVP champs will bring to the table.

Zeustiak
01-05-2014, 03:44 AM
I like the idea of Health based on champion. Starting hand too.

escapeRoute
01-05-2014, 06:48 AM
it is possible... i like the different feels of the champions in MMdoc.,.. different powers and different lifepoints depending on the champion... problem is, it need to be balanced very well

Zophie
01-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Maybe down the road if they allow custom "house rule" games outside of standard PVP they'll have an option for modifying starting health.

Turtlewing
01-06-2014, 11:45 AM
I don't see a whole lot of point in an across the board life total increase. Presumably the cards were balanced against 20, and if a particular card were supposed to kill more slowly it would have lower power.

Having life total be decided by champion choice sounds like a reasonable mechanic, but it would make champions harder to balance and I'm not sure it's worth the added effort when you could get roughly the same result with a charge power than gains life.

I'm sure that someday per champion life totals will come into Hex, but I think there's a lot of open design space that's more interesting for immediate exploration.

wererat
01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Well as much as I like the idea of different starting life totals for different champions, it won't work well in Hex. It works in WoWtcg because its easier to balance since certain classes have specific cards they can include in their deck. So you can give druid Joe a number of health and say "that works cause druid cards have a lot of x and y stuff but very little z stuff"

In hex, only a colour is dictated by the champion choice. assumedly you'll have ruby cards in your Poca deck. There are no cards that only poca can play. So if you gave her a lot of health, more people would splash different colours with her to take advantage of the extra sustain and if she had the least health, people would pick Lionel Flynn over her.

SomeoneRandom
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Well as much as I like the idea of different starting life totals for different champions, it won't work well in Hex. It works in WoWtcg because its easier to balance since certain classes have specific cards they can include in their deck. So you can give druid Joe a number of health and say "that works cause druid cards have a lot of x and y stuff but very little z stuff"

In hex, only a colour is dictated by the champion choice. assumedly you'll have ruby cards in your Poca deck. There are no cards that only poca can play. So if you gave her a lot of health, more people would splash different colours with her to take advantage of the extra sustain and if she had the least health, people would pick Lionel Flynn over her.

Well it makes certain champ choices more interesting and can also help balance the champion. Instead of nerfing Poca's charge power they could have shaved off 2-3 health and made it an interesting choice. Do you take her for the power her charge provides against control decks, but makes you have a harder time in the mirror? Or do you go with safe Flynn who might have a worse charge power, but starts at over 20 health.

I think overall for competitive constructed it is probably better that champs all have 20 life, but it is definitely design space they could explore.

wererat
01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Well it makes certain champ choices more interesting and can also help balance the champion. Instead of nerfing Poca's charge power they could have shaved off 2-3 health and made it an interesting choice. Do you take her for the power her charge provides against control decks, but makes you have a harder time in the mirror? Or do you go with safe Flynn who might have a worse charge power, but starts at over 20 health.

I think overall for competitive constructed it is probably better that champs all have 20 life, but it is definitely design space they could explore.

Agreed but that is where Pve comes in. We get the zany equipment and the level up boosts that makes your hero and pve deck more unique. That's even better than a cut out hero with set life and a different ability.

Mahes
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM
PvE will explore the possibility of altering all stats. PvP will remain pretty much as it is for health totals. Now, if they introduce a 2 headed giant format, then you might see a life total change but it would only add the two players life totals together.

Handsofevil
01-09-2014, 12:49 AM
I'm a little late to the party, but for those that said Ozawa would be strong and Aggro would die off, you're right. But that's not a reason to keep the life total. You can change the cards to fit a life total of 30 fairly easily, but it would require a redesign of the set.

All this being said, I don't see a need to change it.