PDA

View Full Version : Is the Crown of the Primals representation of the Equipment in HEX?

MugenMusou
01-05-2014, 06:13 PM
HEX at is core is Magic the Gathering. So it is easy to compare the two games. Magic has equipment cards, which can be equipped to the creatures/troops, and as they die the equipment is left on the field and you can attach it to another creature/troop.

Doesn't this sound familiar? Yes. because Crown of the Primals indeed does this, and it even has the name indicating its an equipment.

However, there is one major difference here that is in Magic, equipment cards can be moved from one creature to another even when the initial equipped creature is still alive.

I just wonder CoP basically is the answer to Equipment card in the HEX, if so I truly hope they would reconsider and add another layer of potential for the future. I think it is ok to have it as Constant card type, but perhaps indicate with subtype that they are equipment, and allow swapping equipment from one troop to another like in Magic. Then create ones like CoP where it is bound until death of creature as special subset.

What do you all think?

Xenavire
01-05-2014, 08:30 PM
I doubt that this will become standard. It is hardly elegant or well designed when compared to equipments. I would even rather that they do something different to equipments - something to set them apart from MTG a little more.

I mean they don't need auras, thanks to permanent buffs, so maybe there are other options for a version of equips too - I don't enjoy this implementation. Maybe even just abilities that can be swapped from troop to troop - call them legacies. If a legacy is on a troop, the ability has 'Pay [x]: Target troop you control gains this ability.' Then if the troop is shuffled into the deck, returned to the hand, or killed/voided, it takes the ability with it - forcing smarter plays and allowing for more overpowered abilities.

Now that I talk about it, I am really hoping they do something like this even if it isn't equips...

MugenMusou
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
I doubt that this will become standard. It is hardly elegant or well designed when compared to equipments. I would even rather that they do something different to equipments - something to set them apart from MTG a little more.

I mean they don't need auras, thanks to permanent buffs, so maybe there are other options for a version of equips too - I don't enjoy this implementation. Maybe even just abilities that can be swapped from troop to troop - call them legacies. If a legacy is on a troop, the ability has 'Pay [x]: Target troop you control gains this ability.' Then if the troop is shuffled into the deck, returned to the hand, or killed/voided, it takes the ability with it - forcing smarter plays and allowing for more overpowered abilities.

Now that I talk about it, I am really hoping they do something like this even if it isn't equips...

I agree with Aura. HEX has better implementation of Aura than Magic does where Auraes are too high cost as boosted troop gets destroyed you essentially lose both aura card itself and creature.

Now Legacy thing... please don't be offended but I don't see how that is different from Magic's equipment. It seems just matter of terminology. There are equipment that provides abilities. Personally, I don't care what name they would call but I like to see something similar to Magic's equipment or What you call Legacies.

The main reason for me is not just because individual card and mechanics, but rather it has future potential to expand on it and make decks just purely based on it. All these are from Magic, but

1. You can have special troops who get extra boost when it has equipment on.
2. Equipment that transmorph into troop
3. Perhaps combining multiple equipments make automatic win condition i.e. Combo deck theme.

halfwing
01-05-2014, 09:08 PM
I think the point he was making is that, unlike in magic, you could have the ability die with the troop, if you don't 'pass it on' in time, making it kind of halfway in between a enchant and equipment.

mach
01-05-2014, 09:27 PM
There's already equipment in Hex (the PvE things). Having two completely different kinds of equipment would just confuse people.

HyenaNipples
01-05-2014, 09:43 PM
Crown of the Primals proves that you can use two sentences to create a MtG equipment card without creating an entire archetype of card in the process.

I feel like the word "revert" is destined to be a revolutionary concept that will never get the limelight it deserves.

Xenavire
01-05-2014, 09:50 PM
I agree with Aura. HEX has better implementation of Aura than Magic does where Auraes are too high cost as boosted troop gets destroyed you essentially lose both aura card itself and creature.

Now Legacy thing... please don't be offended but I don't see how that is different from Magic's equipment. It seems just matter of terminology. There are equipment that provides abilities. Personally, I don't care what name they would call but I like to see something similar to Magic's equipment or What you call Legacies.

The main reason for me is not just because individual card and mechanics, but rather it has future potential to expand on it and make decks just purely based on it. All these are from Magic, but

1. You can have special troops who get extra boost when it has equipment on.
2. Equipment that transmorph into troop
3. Perhaps combining multiple equipments make automatic win condition i.e. Combo deck theme.

The idea I have though is that you could play, say an action, that gives a troop a legacy, or you could have an artifact that has multiple legacies it could transfer to troops, or even troops that just pass them on to other troops. And if your troop is removed from play somehow, it doesn't just fall off and sit waiting to be equipped again, its stuck to the troop and goes with it the whole time.

Think of it as herditory knowledge that can be passed down through the generations - fail to pass it down, and it is lost, perhaps waiting to be rediscovered years later by some archeologist. (Analogies! WOOO)

MugenMusou
01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
The idea I have though is that you could play, say an action, that gives a troop a legacy, or you could have an artifact that has multiple legacies it could transfer to troops, or even troops that just pass them on to other troops. And if your troop is removed from play somehow, it doesn't just fall off and sit waiting to be equipped again, its stuck to the troop and goes with it the whole time.

Think of it as herditory knowledge that can be passed down through the generations - fail to pass it down, and it is lost, perhaps waiting to be rediscovered years later by some archeologist. (Analogies! WOOO)

Thats actually an interesting idea. I dreamed of similar for other dtcg and called inheritance, but I think its a great mechanics of its own.

Zeustiak
01-09-2014, 05:10 AM
I don't like the idea of equipment that somehow clings to a troop in death unless it is an Enchantment Equipment (Constant).

I think equipment should be in the game as a subtype of Artifact as people would expect. I think you could use some subtype of the Unique type to say that only one type of equipment can be on one creature at a time.

hex_colin
01-09-2014, 10:00 AM
I feel like the word "revert" is destined to be a revolutionary concept that will never get the limelight it deserves.

Especially because the Crown's effects are "permanent"... :)

Aradon
01-12-2014, 05:49 PM
It's of slight interest/relevance that Equipment existed in an altogether different form in early MtG. There were a handful of cards that would tap to give a creature some benefit. They didn't actually equip or attach, but instead conferred a bonus to the creature it was 'being used by.' In many cases, if that creature died, the equipment actually did follow them to the graveyard.

Examples:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=3239
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=2019
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202600

Just pointing out that equipment, in whatever form they originally take in Hex, could easily evolve beyond their first incarnation.

ossuary
01-13-2014, 05:39 AM
As an oldschool Magic player, I hated equipment instantly when it was introduced (as the formalized concept; the older type that died with the creature or in some cases killed the creature if you destroyed the artifact was fine). I hope Hex DOESN'T go down the route of modern Magic's equipment.