PDA

View Full Version : Current state of the game?

Phoenixfire
01-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Im just wondering the current state of the game, im thinking of slacker backing but its 50 usd and money is tight so I want to be 100% sure.

Is the game still in alpha?

Is beta coming soon?

Is it still extremely buggy?

How will wipes work, will I lose cards I acquire?

How is the games population size as of right now?

Please add anything you think that may be important too .

TY

SomeoneRandom
01-06-2014, 02:50 PM
1. It is still in alpha, but most of the big server issues have been fixed so it is playable. However, expect bugs here and there and we will still be getting cards in patches.

2. We honestly have no idea. It all depends on the scope of beta. However, I am hopeful for closed beta after we get the last few cards (month or two) and then monetized open beta sometime in April. Don't take my word on that it just my estimates based on what I have seen so far.

3. Early on it was rare you finished a game, now I haven't had many issues. There are still cards that are bugged, but you finish most games now.

4. Currently you get 4 of everything, once we hit monetized beta and get our kickstarter rewards they have said no more wipes. Up until then, I imagine we will have changes to our collection here and there if they need to test specific things.

5. I rarely have trouble finding a game, other people can probably speak to that more.

There is a good chance you can grab the same amount of set 1 packs for around the same price as the slacker backer because of the sheer quantity of Set 1. You are getting a bonus of playing in the alpha/beta by investing now rather than later. If you like seeing the direction of development and want to contribute then I think alpha is great. If you want to start earning cards right when the kickstarter rewards hit I would suggest getting a SB account. I imagine the monetized beta would only be a month or two, but it is enough time that it is worth it IMO.

hammer
01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Hi - I will try and answer these.

Yes the game is in alpha, we do not have a date for the beta, but I believe end of Q1 2014 was mentioned in the gamespot interview stream. 8 man constructed tournaments are working (they had been bugged until today but seem to be fixed).

There are currently 299 unique cards in the alpha (not including system generated cards and tokens) and you will get 4 copies of each card to make decks and play. You can play against AI (though this isn't fully speced yet and is relatively easy to beat if you have TCG experience - that will change though as the guy working on the AI is THE MAN on the Planet for TCG AI's so we are in good hands long-term).

For playing online against other players you can play a one game match in the proving ground, or you can enter an 8 man event, single elimination best of 3 match (with reserves after game 2 and game 3).

Currently there is no PVE and no drafting.

The alpha client is very stable and getting games is easy.

There are bugged cards interaction, but this reduces every week as they are identified and squashed, honestly every week new cards come or bugs are fixed.

It is an exciting time to be involved.

There will be a wipe during Beta, after that time we will get our rewards. In the slacker backer case that is 25 boosters, VIP subscription and a starter. You keep these, there will be further wipes barring a huge failing/emergency.

In summary, if you want to be involved, test and play with every card and feel part of the birth of HEX it really is worthwhile snatching slacker backer. I have already had countless 100+ hours of gaming fun slinging digital cards.

Hope to see you in client soon. oh one other point, the community is pretty awesome and willing to help out either here or in game so come and join the fun.

- Hammer

Nekrabyte
01-06-2014, 03:40 PM
figured i might as well chime in, so you can feel like you got the most complete answers possible.... (responses in bold italics)

Im just wondering the current state of the game, im thinking of slacker backing but its 50 usd and money is tight so I want to be 100% sure.

Is the game still in alpha?

yea, its still in alpha, it's my estimation we are about halfway? through alpha... the game is very playable now, the servers becoming quite a bit more stable. still seems we are in the stress test part of alpha though, pre them adding new hardware.

Is beta coming soon?

soon.... gotta love that relative term. i feel we are still at least a few months away from beta.

Is it still extremely buggy?

extremely? i don't think so.... definitely buggy though. there are a small number of cards that still plain don't work, and theres a slightly larger amount of cards that don't really work in specific situations... but it definitely improves and progresses every patch.

How will wipes work, will I lose cards I acquire?

during alpha you get 4 copies of every single card. (pretty sure this is the same in closed beta) once open beta starts, the apparent wide opinion is that that is when the wipe will happen, and you will get backer rewards, and be able spend real cash and improve your first set (with no further wipes)

How is the games population size as of right now?

population is a little tough to guess... i would say WAY less than total amount of backers are playing daily... several hundred, maybe a few thousand? (again its hard to judge) during primetime you'll see a full screen worth of players to challenge, however many people are currently in games, offpeak it becomes a LITTLE tougher, with only like 4-15 people not playing at any given time.

Please add anything you think that may be important too .

something important? well i don't know if you backed or not, or if this is a post to decide if you want to back.... if you are considering it and havent, slacker backer won't last forever, and in my opinion its REALLY fun right now, and its been great to get in on the ground level, and start my knowledge of the cards and the changes in deckbuilding compared to M:tG before the masses grab it. but you should definitely note its still in alpha, and still a bit buggy... and there are MANY features sitll to come that its missing... including drafts, pve, equipment, achievements and all sorts of other awesome stuff... but i'm really enjoying it as it currently is (mostly just single game dueling).

and if you HAVE backed already, and havent played in a while (or yet) give it a try! it's mostly playable now, i only get one or two games a week that totally get fucked, and tournaments are almost working great from what i hear!

TY

the_artic_one
01-06-2014, 03:59 PM
If you want to see for yourself before you back you can watch people play on twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/HEX%3A%20Shards%20of%20Fate

neomilynB
01-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Cool! I will try that game too.