PDA

View Full Version : HEXCON - When is it going to take place?

Voices
01-07-2014, 04:07 AM
I wonder if we could get an official response regarding the question as to when HEXCON is going to take place. If exact dates are not possible to provide at this moment, perhaps estimates of early/late X month can be disclosed. Or if that is not possible, perhaps only what month it will be.

I live in the UK and it will take a lot of planning (and money!) to get a trip sorted. The more time to plan, the better :)

ossuary
01-07-2014, 08:13 AM
It's not going to be for a long time. I doubt they have any information on it yet.

Gwaer
01-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I'd think not until after launch, maybe not even in 2014?

Voices
01-07-2014, 08:45 AM
This is from KS update #29:

"We will host HEX Con in Las Vegas, NV, USA on a Saturday and Sunday TBD. Year after year, Las Vegas has been the favorite destination for our other events. HEX Con will host developer panels, gaming, and more fun. You'll be able to meet your fellow HEX fans and guildmates in real life. And if you can't attend the event, you'll be able to follow along with live coverage of HEX Con.

The reward for unlocking this stretch goal is free HEX Con entry to all backers, and all King backers and above will have an exclusive Friday opening to HEX Con. Everyone else will have access to Saturday and Sunday, but only backers of the King tier and above will be invited to the Friday festivities."

I am almost certain that I have seen CZE confirming 2014 somewhere, but I can't find it now.

EDIT: I spelled it as HEXCON whereas they clearly favour HEX Con.

Gwaer
01-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Back then we were expected to be in closed beta 3 weeks after alpha began. The schedule has changed a bit. Maybe Hexcon will correspond with launch? But I figure they want to give people time to find out about it, pass the f2p experience along to their friends and whatnot.

Voices
01-07-2014, 09:09 AM
Back then we were expected to be in closed beta 3 weeks after alpha began. The schedule has changed a bit.

:D

Anyway, it is a big commitment for me to even plan a possible holiday around a gaming convention in the US. Hence my questions in the OP. Hopefully something shall come out of this.

Yoss
01-07-2014, 09:56 AM
I'd ask again when we have monetized beta in our hands.

mach
01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I thought this wasn't happening. According to the KS page, this was the $2.5M stretch goal and the final amount raised was $2.28M.

Vengus
01-07-2014, 11:38 AM
I thought this wasn't happening. According to the KS page, this was the $2.5M stretch goal and the final amount raised was $2.28M.
Yeah but people could back on the HEX website aswell through paypal, and the paypal donations arent visible on the KS page.

ossuary
01-07-2014, 11:47 AM
They announced back a week or two after the project ended that with the PayPal donations added in, we reached 2.5 million. The Kickstarter page just can't be changed or edited after a campaign closes, so those images from the KS page never showed the newest reached goals.

Rycajo
01-07-2014, 12:14 PM
HEX Con would be expected to happen either way (provided the success of the game), but the stretch goal allows us backers to get in the first one for free.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find this is pushed into 2015 around the time of the first official tournaments - unless they want to use it as marketing right before/after the full release of the game (which I hope will be in 2014).

mach
01-07-2014, 12:55 PM
They announced back a week or two after the project ended that with the PayPal donations added in, we reached 2.5 million. The Kickstarter page just can't be changed or edited after a campaign closes, so those images from the KS page never showed the newest reached goals.

Ah, okay.

Given the location, they will probably need to reserve the space 1-1.5 years in advance of the actual event. And they won't be able to do this until they're confident of their financials, which means long enough after monetization has started that they know what kind of cash flow they can count on. This will take longer than you might think because all the KS rewards will be distorting things at least until Set 2 is released.

So I'd say late 2015 at the earliest, with a good chance of being 2016 or even later.

Gwaer
01-07-2014, 01:39 PM
As someone who has actually reserved convention space in Las Vegas, you can do it on much shorter notice than 1-1.5 years.

ossuary
01-07-2014, 01:57 PM
I think late 2014 is conceivable (but probably unlikely), and any time in 2015 would be completely reasonable.

They still won't be ready to tell us about it for awhile, though. Lots to get done before they can start being front-facing with the public like that. :)

mach
01-07-2014, 02:02 PM
As someone who has actually reserved convention space in Las Vegas, you can do it on much shorter notice than 1-1.5 years.

For public events of this scale?

For comparison: GP Vegas this year was announced 9 months before it happened. The actual reservation was surely somewhat before the the public announcement.

Add in the fact that WoTC does these kinds of things all the time but this is the first HEXcon, they will surely want to do things even further in advance to make sure that things go smoothly.

So I think 1-1.5 years from date of reservation is a reasonable estimate, which makes it not happening in 2014.

conviction
01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Doesn't take that long. I live in Vegas and have worked at properties with huge meeting space. If there is an opening, you can make it happen.

Gwaer
01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Of things likely larger than the first hexcon will be. Scale is a large part of the equation though. They'll want to get a good idea of the turnout before they decide on a venue.

Patrigan
01-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Add in the fact that WoTC does these kinds of things all the time but this is the first HEXcon, they will surely want to do things even further in advance to make sure that things go smoothly.

To be clear, CZE has been organizing events in Las Vegas since the year they were "born". The WoWTCG continentals has been in Las Vegas for many years. So I'm certain they know how to organize an event there.

That said, HEX Con will be slightly different from a big TCG Tournament. We'll see where it goes.

Mahes
01-08-2014, 11:20 AM
I would say 2015. They have way to much on their plate at the moment to honestly even be thinking about it right now. I will be happily impressed if this game officially releases in 2014...

Shaqattaq
01-08-2014, 12:43 PM
HEXCon is happening as we did hit that stretch goal. We'll make sure to give everyone plenty of leadtime to prepare for the event.

jetah
01-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I wont lie but having the first HEX Con corresponding with the Release (or launch) of HEX would be awesome!

Patrigan
01-10-2014, 12:02 AM
I wont lie but having the first HEX Con corresponding with the Release (or launch) of HEX would be awesome!

That will be a pretty small Hex Con then... I'd prefer they wait until after release, first get some more players...

Blizzcon and big LoL events work because they have millions of players. Hex has barely 20.000 ...

However, it could be cute if they did some sort of small launch event. Generates a buzz.

hex_colin
01-10-2014, 07:07 AM
That will be a pretty small Hex Con then... I'd prefer they wait until after release, first get some more players...

Blizzcon and big LoL events work because they have millions of players. Hex has barely 20.000 ...

However, it could be cute if they did some sort of small launch event. Generates a buzz.

Bigger is not necessarily better! By a large margin, the first Blizzcon is still my favorite.

malloc31
01-10-2014, 07:36 AM
I would think hex con will coincide with the end of either the first annual or maybe 4-6 month hex championships. So that they can show the finals at the con. So it needs to be at the very least 4 months after release, so probably 1.5-2 years from now.