PDA

View Full Version : mono sapphire weenie dwarf/artifacts

Sereaphim
01-08-2014, 04:53 AM
First of this is more a fun deck and many people that i had met dislike to play against it or consider it as boring. But I enjoy to play it because you have so many options and not many people play removal against artifacts.
I was asked to post it so her it is with some little improvements ....

Champion
Bertram Cragraven (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/BertramCragraven.jpg)

Troops 19
4 x Charge Bot (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/ChargeBot.jpg)
4 x Flock of Seagulls (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/FlockOfSeagulls.jpg)
4 x Technical Genius (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/TechnicalGenius.jpg)
4 x Research Librarian (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/ResearchLibrarian.jpg)
3 x Pterobot (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/Pterobot.jpg)

Artifacts 12
3 x Dwarven Turbine (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/DwarvenTurbine.jpg)
4 x Construction Plans: Inspiration Engine (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/ConstructionPlansInspirationEngine.jpg)
3 x Runic Monolith (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/RunicMonolith.jpg)
2 x Volcannon (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/Volcannon.jpg)

Action 7
4 x Oracle Song (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/OracleSong.jpg)
3 x Mesmerize (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/Mesmerize.jpg)

Resource 22
22 x Sapphire Shard (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/SapphireShard.jpg)

Main goal of deck is to win over Inspiration Engine or Volcannon.
This are hard to handle for the enemy because nearly nobody plays cards against artifacts.
And if somebody try to kill our troops we can respond and exhaust them for the cost of this cards.
Don't forget that you can even exhaust cards after they already have blocked so no reason to get overzealous with exhausting cards.

Our curve on cards is pretty low so that we can get early troops out to start working on our Inspiration Engine, lowering the cost of Pterobot and help us later on the Volcannon.

But still every troop does his job helping us out in the deck on their own.
Charge Bot help us get quicker worker bots.
Research Librarian let us draw cards for low cost.
Technical Genius reduced our cost for artifacts.
So every card has synergies with the total goal of the deck.

Dwarven Turbine can be abused in many ways. (I asked myself why they don't call it dwarfen turbin.)
You can ready Runic Monolith, Inspiration Engine and Volcannon to use them again.
You can ready robot troops to get more counter on Construction Plans: Inspiration Engine.
You can ready robot troops to block with them after you already attacked with them in you turn.
Flock of Seagulls, Pterobot, Mesmerize and Runic Monolith help us to get some time against enemy troops.
Oracle Song to refilling our and fine the option we need.

Why do we only play 22 Sapphire Shards ?
Our overall cost is very low and we can even reduce the cost of most cards.
It hurt us much more then most decks to get resource flooded because our cards build on each other.

A card that can improve this deck in the future is Gearsmith (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/Gearsmith.jpg).
He would be a great 1 drop that has even potential to give us the card we need.

I hope you like this deck if you guys have question or improvements idea please post it.
Kind regards,
Sereaphim

BlackRoger
01-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Interesting deck.
The only misgiving I might have with it is your flock of seaguls.
Its a nice sideboard card, but may end up as a dead card in many matchups
Would move them to sideboard and replace with the thunderbird

If its too far from what you are trying to do, how about the artifact turret instead?
I just don't like cards that have little synergy and dont get you closer to your wincon
otherwise its a nice deck

Sereaphim
01-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Interesting deck.
The only misgiving I might have with it is your flock of seaguls.
Its a nice sideboard card, but may end up as a dead card in many matchups
Would move them to sideboard and replace with the thunderbird

If its too far from what you are trying to do, how about the artifact turret instead?
I just don't like cards that have little synergy and dont get you closer to your wincon
otherwise its a nice deck

I play Flock of Seagulls manly to have a chance against spellshild troops and other flyer.
I can't support thunderbird against anything in this more passive/defensive deck.
It would only degenerated to a semi beat stick that ask to take the next best removal.

I would love to play a other artifact troop to protect me but there are 3 problems with Turreted Wal (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/TurretedWall.jpg)l.

1. It is very expensive with the cost of 4 and is only a blocker with a good body. But sadly even 5 life is not enough to block the real problems like Feral Beast with his 6/6.
2. It is not a robot and so you can't use it for Volcannon or Construction Plans: Inspiration Engine and it will not reduce the cost of Pterobot. I know that you can exhaust it for Construction Plans: Inspiration Engine at the moment but this is a bug.
3. It has no way to block flying units. I would be nice if it had something like Reach (http://mtg.wikia.com/wiki/Reach) from magic.

VeScorp
01-09-2014, 12:45 AM
I've tried something pretty close to it and it's quite fun to play

But the most successful artifact deck I've seen so far was the one with the ruby splash for war machinists (and the rocket dwarves, forgot the name) - they fix the main issue of this deck of having too few damage sources and thus being too slow.

Lawlschool
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
I like it, pretty cool defensive dwarf deck. My suggestion is to drop a librarian or two (or one of a different 4x) for a couple Elite Battle Techs, or even a 1x Robomancer. EBT is awesome, even with the semi-nerf. You get a troop + 2 worker bots, and can sac 2 bots to bounce a troop. Really great way to deal with problem troops, though with all the stalling you have it might be best as a sideboard.

Robomancer would be nice though, as a way to deal out some extra damage, or just for an additional chump blocker each turn.

DackFayden
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
I have a lot of similar decks I've played around with and tested and here are some problems I've encountered

1) The biggest problem with your deck is going to be resource issues.

22 is low for resource count especially when you want a chance at hitting volcannon turn 4/5. The new card peek can help mitigate this, but you'll be losing speed. The deck is already slow to turn on so peek might just be a great lategame card for monosapphire.

I have played games where I've been able to win of 3 resources, but that was due to opp not running any interaction cards (wild). If an opp removes a technical genius or research librarian(hurts less) you're really going to wish you had resources. I'd recommend 24 or finding some way to get cheaper draw in the deck.

3X runic monolith didn't work out for me due to each one costing 2 resources to use, then 1 additional from turbine to turn back on. Those spots might be better spent on actual interaction spells like a buccaneer or splashing another color for hard removal.

2) The second biggest problem is hands without Volcannon or inspiration engine will get you no where near victory.

They're pretty much the wincond in the deck, although Pterobot can come close. You've got enough draw you can probably get 1 of them by mid game, but its a risk. Also having more than 1 ingenuity engine in the opener sucks a bit too.

3) Third biggest problem is getting everything online is going to be slower than you think.

If opp is playing no removal you're probably gonna win fast. But if they remove the utility dwarves on t2/3 then youre game plan is drawn out more. On the flipside if opp is planning on using extinction to wipe your board you ca play around that SOOO easily. It's only the t2/3 removal that really sets you back.

Overall I like that you're trying the deck. I'm curious what do you do in aggressive deck matchups? that's where Ive been falling short consistently. Control matchups have been alot easier since people blood/sapphire has problems dealing with problematic ingenuity engine or cannon.

Sereaphim
01-11-2014, 08:14 AM
I have a lot of similar decks I've played around with and tested and here are some problems I've encountered

1) The biggest problem with your deck is going to be resource issues.

22 is low for resource count especially when you want a chance at hitting volcannon turn 4/5. The new card peek can help mitigate this, but you'll be losing speed. The deck is already slow to turn on so peek might just be a great lategame card for monosapphire.

I have played games where I've been able to win of 3 resources, but that was due to opp not running any interaction cards (wild). If an opp removes a technical genius or research librarian(hurts less) you're really going to wish you had resources. I'd recommend 24 or finding some way to get cheaper draw in the deck.

You have higher chance to lose games because you have drawn to many shards then to loss it because you had draw to less.I tested many numbers of shards but came to experiences with 22 I had the best chances to win.
But people can add how much they like or they prefer this is only because I had bad luck, got flooded with shards and lost the game. And good experience with 3 - 4 shards and won the game.

And for the "cheap draw" will be Gearsmith (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/Gearsmith.jpg) the best card for this deck in the future.
He is ultra cheap, he is a dwarf, he gets your win options and makes them cheaper.
I can't wait that he get released.

3X runic monolith didn't work out for me due to each one costing 2 resources to use, then 1 additional from turbine to turn back on. Those spots might be better spent on actual interaction spells like a buccaneer or splashing another color for hard removal.

Sadly I have the same problem with runic monolith.
This is the first card I would kick but I fear crush especially with Flock of Seagulls (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/FlockOfSeagulls.jpg) not blocking the crush damage at the moment. I tried many different card on this point like Bottled Vitae, Ivory Pawn, Construction Plans: War Hulk, Malfunctioning War Bot, Sapper's Charge, Time Ripple, Polymorph: Dingler, Buccaneer .... but nothing made me happy.

I think I retry Construction Plans: War Hulk because after last nerf to murder he is very good.
A 5/5 with crush that you can get very easy on the table. And he can protect you and he is other option to win the game.

2) The second biggest problem is hands without Volcannon or inspiration engine will get you no where near victory.

They're pretty much the wincond in the deck, although Pterobot can come close. You've got enough draw you can probably get 1 of them by mid game, but its a risk. Also having more than 1 ingenuity engine in the opener sucks a bit too.

I think with Gearsmith (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/Gearsmith.jpg) and Construction Plans: War Hulk (http://hex.tcgbrowser.com/images/cards/big/ConstructionPlansWarHulk.jpg) we can fix this problem.
I will test stuff out I know something is missing.

3) Third biggest problem is getting everything online is going to be slower than you think.

If opp is playing no removal you're probably gonna win fast. But if they remove the utility dwarves on t2/3 then youre game plan is drawn out more. On the flipside if opp is planning on using extinction to wipe your board you ca play around that SOOO easily. It's only the t2/3 removal that really sets you back.

Overall I like that you're trying the deck. I'm curious what do you do in aggressive deck matchups? that's where Ive been falling short consistently. Control matchups have been alot easier since people blood/sapphire has problems dealing with problematic ingenuity engine or cannon.

If they play removal cards they are slow too. And don't forget even if they kill our troop we can still activated our cards power and with the murder change our artifact troops are now much stronger.

If they play rush we have blocker, try to get the field under control and try to get our win option online like every control heavy deck. As a defender we have a big advantages.

Elwinz
01-11-2014, 10:14 AM
I would add Droo if u use dwarven turbine

DackFayden
01-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Droo would be an interesting addition for more win cond. The only problem I've had with droo is in the low resource version getting to 5/5 resoures is a bit hard, especially against aggressive decks where a stumble is game.

On the deck choices couple questions:

Why monosapphire? The versions I run I've found got a nice power boost from splashing blood/ruby for removal. Peek hasn't been that useful to me since time is oh so important in aggresive matchups.

Why flock of seagulls? I think the above poster was right. Flock of seagulls is often a dead card, or can be replaced by any hard removal. On a side note how has mesmerize been working for you? Is it too slow?

The version I've been running has been 24 resources and includes Mastery of time. Splashing blood for murder/persecute
with buccaneers in the side for aggressive games.

How do your games play out So far for me best case scenario opening hand is Chargebot,Ingenuity engine, removal, then what ev. What usually happens(against somewhat aggresive decks) is regardless of my opening hand I spend the first couple turns taking hits trying to survive to turn 4 when the engine is online. Then I go of turbines + ingen engine + mastery of time, the problem is I'm at 10-12 life and I'm usually praying for decent artifacts or at least chumpblockers. If they remove any of my t1/2 drops then ingenuity engine is going to take on average 1/2 more turn to get one. What happens when you play?

You're version has some aspects I really like: I think Pterobot could be a 4 of. Its an excellent blocker except against wild. Opponents often spend time answering it, which means more time for the real win cond..

Elwinz
01-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Well as for droo's cost, there are 4 geniuses in deck so high chance of getting it faster.

Sereaphim
01-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Droo would be an interesting addition for more win cond. The only problem I've had with droo is in the low resource version getting to 5/5 resoures is a bit hard, especially against aggressive decks where a stumble is game.

On the deck choices couple questions:

Why monosapphire? The versions I run I've found got a nice power boost from splashing blood/ruby for removal. Peek hasn't been that useful to me since time is oh so important in aggresive matchups.

Why flock of seagulls? I think the above poster was right. Flock of seagulls is often a dead card, or can be replaced by any hard removal. On a side note how has mesmerize been working for you? Is it too slow?

The version I've been running has been 24 resources and includes Mastery of time. Splashing blood for murder/persecute
with buccaneers in the side for aggressive games.

How do your games play out So far for me best case scenario opening hand is Chargebot,Ingenuity engine, removal, then what ev. What usually happens(against somewhat aggresive decks) is regardless of my opening hand I spend the first couple turns taking hits trying to survive to turn 4 when the engine is online. Then I go of turbines + ingen engine + mastery of time, the problem is I'm at 10-12 life and I'm usually praying for decent artifacts or at least chumpblockers. If they remove any of my t1/2 drops then ingenuity engine is going to take on average 1/2 more turn to get one. What happens when you play?

You're version has some aspects I really like: I think Pterobot could be a 4 of. Its an excellent blocker except against wild. Opponents often spend time answering it, which means more time for the real win cond..

Why monosapphire?

Because mono is much more consistent then multi color decks at the moment.
Especially for decks with many low cost cards.
What happened if you draw only sapphire shards and can't play blood cards ?
What happened if you draw only blood shards and can't play sapphire cards ?

And even if you play shards of fate you will fall a resources behind for this turn.
Not to forget that it give you no charges that is so crucial for this deck.

Why flock of seagulls?

Flock of seagulls can block spellshild units.
Flock of seagulls can block a different troop every turn and doesn't care how big it is.
Flock of seagulls is cheap and can be play preemptive.
And because you generated other troops the enemy will think about attack with small troops.
His big troops can't attack because of Flock of seagulls and Mesmerize.
And Flock of seagulls is only bad draw against decks that not play any troops.
Only downside is that i will not help me against unblockable or crush troops.

Murder doesn't help you against artifact, spellshild or invincible troops.
Persecute doesn't help you against troops with more then 4 life or that have spellshild.
I am sure I need much more card slots if I want play both.
Both cards are dead if the enemy doesn't play any troops so the same situation as Flock of seagulls.

How do your games play out

Against Rush:
Flock of seagulls and Mesmerize to stop the big troops.
Robots and Dwarfs to stop the small troops.
Stabilize the field and get win option like Pterobot, Inspiration Engine and Volcannon online.
If win option not there draw more cards.

Against Control:
Get win option like Inspiration Engine and Volcannon online.
Draw cards. Draw more cards. Play some sacrifice lames so that he waste his removal.

We can play against each other if you not believe me. (After the game is again working)
And like I said many times it is only a fun deck and many cards from this edition are missing.
More artifact and dwarfs mean more options and ideas.

Well as for droo's cost, there are 4 geniuses in deck so high chance of getting it faster.

Droo is a cool idea but the problem i have...
He will always attack even if i don't want because I know the enemy plays repel, has stronger blocker or i need him for block.
He is only good if I have turbin on the field because I can't replenish life or give him steadfast in this deck.
He is expensiv even with geniuses.
And he has only 3 attack and life more then War hulk.

Why should I not play instant a Construction Plans: War Hulk or Slaughtergear, Renegade War Factory ?
I think both are better then Droo for this kind of deck.

But i will test the card if the game is again working.

Elwinz
01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
I advice not play war hulks tilll they fix them, personaly i throw them out.

DackFayden
01-12-2014, 12:06 AM
Going the war hulk direction is interesting. Technically the card works, but the animation(exhaust/ready) is just weird? Or is it just unstable. I also think its a fun deck, but I think it actually has potential to be good. I like the control matchup, just from my play experience aggresive matchups force trading early ( which really slows down your gameplan ) or taking too much dmg and being in burn range when you go off.

I think you have the right idea with Pterobot, and I'm pushing it up to a 4 of in my list. I'm not too sure about warhulk, it is stronger now since murder isnt an outright kill. I'll have to test it too

I'll try the flock of seagulls out again. What's your opinion of Mastery of Time? 5 resources a bit much

Sereaphim
01-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Going the war hulk direction is interesting. Technically the card works, but the animation(exhaust/ready) is just weird? Or is it just unstable. I also think its a fun deck, but I think it actually has potential to be good. I like the control matchup, just from my play experience aggresive matchups force trading early ( which really slows down your gameplan ) or taking too much dmg and being in burn range when you go off.

I think you have the right idea with Pterobot, and I'm pushing it up to a 4 of in my list. I'm not too sure about warhulk, it is stronger now since murder isnt an outright kill. I'll have to test it too

I'll try the flock of seagulls out again. What's your opinion of Mastery of Time? 5 resources a bit much

Yea war hulk is bugged and slow the game down.
I will test them if they are fixed.

Mastery of Time is very strong card but not good in this deck.
It is expensive and you need something on the board that abuse the extra turn.
I think it is much better with cards like Thunderbird, Edrich Dreamer, Lightning Armada, Storm Colossus, Archmage Wrenlocke, Ascetic.....

And this card will not help you if you already behind and will block your hand against rush.