PDA

View Full Version : First Card Banned

Vomitlord
01-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Title say's it all. Which would you say assuming they all stay as they are now.

I'll be boring and start with Life Siphon. I've stopped putting it in my deck because it just feels plain bad to play it. Anybody Disagree?

Xenavire
01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
I don't think any set 1 card will be banned. Life siphon especially not. My number one contender though, would be fist.

SomeoneRandom
01-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Honestly I don't think there is anything too strong that it needs to be banned, and I really doubt they would bother banning anything in the only set they have since it is hard to determine if the card is the problem or access to other options. If I was forced to pick one though, in general TCGs ban enablers so I would say something like Chlorophyllia if Fist/Eye decks get too out of hand?

RobHaven
01-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Didn't they say something about banning versus nerfing? I forget what the conclusion was, but they definitively said they strongly prefer to use one over the other.
I know that doesn't progress the conversation much, but if someone with a better memory wants to chime in that'd be great.

To play along: my candidates for first banned would be Mastery of Time or Reginald Lancashire.

Rendakor
01-08-2014, 09:28 AM
They said they will ban, rather than nerf.

Vengus
01-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Hard to say because right now we're still in alpha where CZE can still tweak the cards. At this point if CZE believes a card is too powerful they will simply tone it down. We can't speculate about the first ban until the game goes in paid beta, because that is probably when they stop tweaking and start banning, and maybe by then they have already nerfed cards like Life Siphon.

RobHaven
01-08-2014, 09:42 AM
What do you think would be a more fair version of Life Siphon? Increased threshold? Static starting cost (like Burn to the Ground)?

They said they will ban, rather than nerf.
thanks

Lawlschool
01-08-2014, 09:56 AM
What do you think would be a more fair version of Life Siphon? Increased threshold? Static starting cost (like Burn to the Ground)?

thanks

There was a thread discussing it a while back, and I think most people agreed that a threshold increase would be the best thing for Siphon. Keeps it to monoblood, instead of it being a very powerful card to splash.

FlyingMeatchip
01-08-2014, 10:04 AM
That darn green incantation.

Xenavire
01-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Why does everyone say siphon is so bad? It takes a large investment (either in turns to build up or resources in general), is easy to outrun, and it can't target troops (which would make it useful as more than just a situational win condition.)

I mean, I love the card, but it is only as reliable as the deck it is in - and most decks that want to use it are either some form of combo deck (requiring siphon to work at all) or control (and control needs win cons too). As it stands, the cost is fine. If it could target troops, then it should go up to 2x.

But it is highly situational, and early game it is basically a dead draw, and if you burn them too early you will probably regret it. I think it has more than enough downsides right now - maybe if mono blood had effective ramping, or if they get reliable fetch cards. But right now it is fine - fist is far more dangerous, so are most of the incants.

SomeoneRandom
01-08-2014, 02:47 PM
I think the reason people hate Siphon is in general newer players gravitate towards troop based decks, get their board wiped by Extinction and then see all their work blown away by a 7-10 damage Siphon and it just erks them. At least that is what I have seen from other people's posts :D I think it is fine for all the reasons you suggested. I really only run 1 usually in my control decks and have NEVER thought about splashing for it. If you are behind it won't help you get ahead and is really only useful once you stabilized at which point you shouldn't need it unless you stabilized super late and need to get out of burn range. (which there are better cards for)

stiii
01-08-2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah I really don't get the issue with Siphon. It wouldn't be playable in magic so it seems pretty unlikely it is broken in Hex.

knightofeffect
01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Nothing out there that I really think is a candidate right now. Time Wa... errr, Mastery of Time has some potential, for instance, imagine it with the original version of eye of creation... silly.

Handsofevil
01-09-2014, 12:37 AM
I'm not saying Life Siphon is OP, but do compare it to Burn to the Ground. They both are X based, and they both do damage. Now lets look at the differences. BttG can target troops but costs 1 more. LS gains you life. To me, the trade off of gaining life is stronger than targeting troops. So for it to have the stronger effect and stronger cost makes it quite strong (can I use the word strong any more?).

As for actual cards to ban, I don't think any need to be banned, but I could make an argument for Fist. He hasn't seem much play, but I feel a decent amount of that is because people are tired of him.

BlackRoger
01-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Jadim. way too effective for his cost. not neccesarily broken yet, but close

XagoTrunk
01-09-2014, 01:13 PM
Life siphon is now 1X cost :)

Malakili
01-09-2014, 03:50 PM
I think nothing from Set 1 will be banned while Set 1 is the only set available. Something will come out eventually that interacts with something, perhaps something that seems benign now, that breaks a format. Time will tell.