PDA

View Full Version : Is deathtouch in the 1st set...???

Mahes
01-09-2014, 07:47 AM
With all of the Spellshield creatures that exist, I was wondering if the "deathtouch" mechanic is going to be introduced in this set? Seems odd not having that mechanic given the power of the Spellshield effect.

For those who do not play MtG: Deathtouch is a passive creature effect that simply states: All creatures that block or are blocked by this creature are destroyed. Damage still resolves and the effect does nothing to a creature that is invincible.

Vengus
01-09-2014, 07:51 AM
There's no such effect in the first set.

SomeoneRandom
01-09-2014, 07:59 AM
With all of the Spellshield creatures that exist, I was wondering if the "deathtouch" mechanic is going to be introduced in this set? Seems odd not having that mechanic given the power of the Spellshield effect.

For those who do not play MtG: Deathtouch is a passive creature effect that simply states: All creatures that block or are blocked by this creature are destroyed. Damage still resolves and the effect does nothing to a creature that is invincible.

Actually it states :

Deathtouch (Any amount of damage this deals to a creature is enough to destroy it.)

Meaning you actually have to deal damage and only have to assign 1 damage to assign lethal for effects like trample(crush) or multiple blockers.

To your actual point though, no not currently. Maybe they will have some tricks up their sleeve for the last few cards but I don't expect any until at least Set 2.

Scammanator
01-09-2014, 11:12 AM
There was a piece of PvE equipment that granted the keyword ability "Deadly" which seemed to work like deathtouch. It seems likely, though, that the ability has been delayed until set 2 or later, although we may still see it in PvE.

Mahes
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
I did not note the exact definition and forgot that at least 1 damage must be applied for the effect to work. "Deadly" sounds about right for a different name. I feel that Set 1 could have benefited greatly using deadly on a few creatures to better balance out all the Spellshield effects. In fact I think changing Spellshield to "Deadly" on a certain green incantation might better balance out that card as then at least it would be targetable, but that is for another subject line.

FlyingMeatchip
01-09-2014, 11:46 AM
There was I think tangle asp, that just required it ti block or be blocked and it would destroy the creature.

Malicus
01-09-2014, 04:55 PM
There was I think tangle asp, that just required it ti block or be blocked and it would destroy the creature.

The keyword Deathtouch requires damage but before it was a keyword there were some precursors for Deathtouch which simply stated attacking/blocking and even a few which excepted walls such as Thicket Basilisk.

Kilo24
01-09-2014, 07:26 PM
There is the weapon of the PVE-exclusive Chimera Guard Captain which grants the troop Deathtouch in effect, but outside of that I don't believe anything else mimics it.